Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

toastR posted:

He was listed as Chihuahua/Other, not sure what the other is though. Multiple people think it's probably dachshund though, so he's a Chiweenie?

He looks almost exactly like my college mentor's dog, who is definitely dachshund/chi (puppy mill designer dog), so I'd say that's a safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Those ears crack me up!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Hank looks like some of the chow mixes I've met, though they usually had the blue tongue.

Jesse looks like maybe a spitz breed of some kind, maybe mixed in with shepherd and maybe not. In fact, Jesse kind of reminds me of some of the pictures of the "Oki dogs" who roam around Okinawa - they're mostly spitz with a little splash of whatever mixed in.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Looks like terrier/beagle to me, or maybe even purebred hound of some kind. His adult size and dimensions will make it more apparent. If he ends up quite small, he could be JRT/beagle.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Ginny Field posted:

She definitely has the crazy energy levels typical to her breed, though. Even though she's a chubbo, she's certainly not a couch potato.

I don't think I've ever seen a cattle dog or cattle dog mix that looked slender, even at a healthy weight. They're built like barrels.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

People constantly assume my "brown" greyhound is a mutt all the time. I find it kind of amusing - with all the mutt cats I've had over the years, people always asked "Oh, what breed is he?" and my first purebred animal gets "Oh, what's he mixed with?" :downs:

I love the random mixed-up brown dogs, though. Especially when they have eyebrow wrinkles. They just look so concerned all the time, I love it!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Maybe golden/GSD, or golden/something else with that kind of markings. The face especially looks very golden retriever to me.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

He may well be a purebred, there are lots of breeds of tan wirehaired terrier things out there.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Silver Nitrate posted:

The shelter says saluki/greyhound, but her coat is really wiry.

The nice thing about sighthound mixes is that there's a catch-all term for them - lurcher. :D

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

my dog boyfriend!!! posted:

new breed: Dodger

Absotively posilutely!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Chloe actually looks a lot like a wire-haired dachshund/chihuahua mix that belongs to a friend of mine. Of course, resembling a known mix doesn't really guarantee that she has either of those breeds in her.

She's a cutie, though. I like frowzy little mutt-dogs like that :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

MoCookies posted:

At first glance, I see Beagle x Pomeranian. Maybe American Eskimo, instead of Pom? It seems like her head totally don't match her body, which is adorable and hilarious. Such a blocky face, though - I'm seeing Beagle, Cocker Spaniel, maybe Golden Retriever in the face, and then a poofy spitz-type hind end.

She looks a little like our friend's dog Oliver, although he doesn't have the "saddle" markings - sadly, his mix is unknown as well. His ears are a bit more upright than hers.

It's suspected he has some kind of houndy thing in him, since he has a very keen nose and is a passionate tracker of smells.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Even among well-bred GSDs there are some size variations, aren't there? My aunt is a big breed fancier and told me some lines are larger and some are smaller. I couldn't tell you which corresponds to what purposes, but I know she had a German-bred GSD who was quite compact. She came to live with my aunt after she was retired (injury, iirc). When she was in service she was easily 3/4 the size of the other dogs in the department.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Skizzles posted:

I thought coonhound/foxhound when I first saw her too. If she's still a puppy then she may very well get bigger than you expected.

Looks like she's got some big ole paws :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

It's kind of tempting to submit a sample from my purebred dog and see if the results are correct :) It would be amusing if it came up with anything other than greyhound, seeing as his pedigree goes back to the 1970s at the very least.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

The little turned-out feet always remind me of Dr. Seuss characters. Our friend's rescue Lhasa has them too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Absolute Evil posted:

Any ideas about the little guy?

He looks almost exactly like the dachshund/chihuahua mixes my old college prof rescued. It's a relatively common "designer" mix. One of their dogs has a bark like what you describe, and the build of your dog, while the other had that same coloring and build (although she was a wirehair) but a tiny high pitched bark.

I could also see something like beagle/chihuahua in your guy, though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Solstice posted:

Picked up this pretty girl from the county shelter. She has an okay name but I'm not a huge fan so if anyone has any name suggestions, don't be shy. She's a kisser, learns quickly, and her favorite game so far is fetch and a little keep-away.

Her previous owner said she was a lab mix and the shelter said lab/pointer but I'd guess she's pit/one or none of those? She's 55lbs and ~1 year old. Couldn't get a good body shot because while she sits politely, she won't stand still at all. Her build is quite skinny with fairly long legs and a very trim "waist". Reminds me of a slightly chunkier greyhound although greyhound mix seems unlikely. Any ideas?

My mother has already expressed concern that this dog is going to snap and kill my entire family one day so if you guys have any advice on not getting mauled please let me know. Thanks ;P

She is pretty sighthound-y, I'll agree. Greyhound or whippet mix is not as unusual as you might think, depending on where you are. Of course, sighthound crosses are more common in Europe than anywhere in the US, but in some parts of the States there are dog tracks that will sell retired racers direct from the track, and those dogs are intact.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Purebred Luck Dragon, I think :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of racing kennels will sell the dogs to whoever. Our rescue group wound up with one who was bought off a track and then dumped in the woods for whatever reason. He was brought in after weeks of being out in the wilderness and was starved almost to death, covered in burrs and poo poo, and his fur was all rough and shaggy. He looked a fright.

He's somebody's happy pet now, thankfully. And neutered.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My friends have a very similar looking dog (just a lighter color) and they always say she's a Florida Swamp Terrier, because she came from a shelter in the Everglades.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

You'd be right in an ideal world, but a sickle tail is as variable as any other, and sometimes lays on the back, sometimes not. Poms of all different breedings can exhibit weird tails, so it's not unheard of.

That being said, I see mostly dachshund/chi. Chi tails can actually have a perfect sickle.

Our friend's chi Jack has a sickle tail, and though he came out of rather meh breeding, he is a purebred chihuahua.

Although if I saw him in a shelter I'd think he was a Papillon mix.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Jack looks very similar. I don't have any better pictures of him.

He's being menaced by a friend in a Dexter costume here, btw.

Jack is actually a very drivey little dog, it's impressive. He really badly wants to kill my rats when he comes over, but he can't get to them, so he satisfies himself by eating their poop. And he's very friendly and cuddly, if a little licky. The cutest thing he does is load up in his carrier - you can hold it several feet off the ground and he'll launch himself into it. He loves his carrier. He'll also find similar sized bags on the floor and dig everything out of them so he can climb in, which can be a problem.

He also has NO undercoat. At all. Which means he's very soft, and doesn't give me too many allergy problems, but he also gets cold super easily and if he gets at all wet he's instantly soaked to the skin.

I laugh at his crooked little face all the time. We all used to hate him, but after he got neutered he's become a much nicer dog and has started worming his way into our hearts.

Husker has a stuffed toy cauliflower that Jack just thinks is the best thing ever, and he'll carry it around while he's visiting. :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

If his coloring weren't so unusual I would be tempted to say purebred greyhound. The ears aren't quite right either, though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

David Bowie's eyes are the same color, one just looks darker because the pupil is permanently dilated :words:

That puppy is adorable, and is going to destroy your entire life in the best possible way :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My stepson has a friend whose mom found a three-legged Schipperke running along the side of the road several years ago. Obviously someone's pet - very friendly and her coat was in great shape, and the leg was obviously a surgical amputation rather than a birth defect. Already spayed and had a collar but no tags, and no one ever inquired about her at the shelters or anything, so they got a free awesome little Schipperke. :iiam:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Purebred BYB chihuahua would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Congratulations on the adoption of a 1963 Opel Kadett!

Between the car and the Hamster, I'm getting kind of a fizzy sensation in my abdomen.