Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Q2 is a great tire, I have like 3k on mine and it's not flat spotted or anything. It'll slide a lot more in the cold than say a BT016 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2-3k on a PP is rape, I saw 5k out of a rear on a 600 that I did a couple track days and 4-5 runs a week of the local canyons.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I used to use the top of a spark plug socket.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AncientTV posted:

If you know someone who can weld, pop a 19mm bolt head on a metal rod. Bingo-bango, 19mm hex key for a couple bucks.

19mm nut on a reverse threaded 19mm shaft

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I must be a crackhead, I never wait even 50mi. Scrub them in and go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the same token, I got a front tire back at 15psi. :suicide:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, my Q2s are finally done. I managed what looks like 5.5k miles on them after you account for the sprockets, they are past the wear bars and the grooves are almost gone - no issues with grip though. I did find out very quickly that if you accidentally run the front tire backwards it cups the unholy poo poo out of the tire. They really take a lot more lean to find the edges than the other hypersport tires I've ridden (BT016 and Pilot Power).

Can't complain, $200 for a set of awesome tires that lasted 5.5k miles on a 110whp 600. I'm going to replace them with Pilot Pures, just for variety reasons.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 8, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The roads are super expensive here in the US too, I can get a set of 120/180 Pures for pretty close to $200 shipped but the Road 3s are like a hundred more a set. I ride in the wet a few days a year down in here in Phoenix... which reminds me about the Q2:

I rode it through the winter in Flagstaff, Az every day - including the days with light snow. Other than it being like a rock and sliding around coming off throttle when the weather was -5*f to 28*f it was ungodly amazing all things considered. I am really impressed with the Q2 in every way.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've found a new love for the Bridgestone BT003, loving the soft carcass. Too bad they don't last very long. :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They are more than fine.
Also, OEM BT016 != aftermarket BT016.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xd posted:

I'd heard about that, how different are they?

OEM ones are single compound front, dual rear; aftermarket are dual compound front, triple compound rear.
I went through OEM and aftermarket ones back to back and found the OEM ones somehow wore significantly faster (???).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'd reset the forks after an of as a matter of course, even if they don't look twisted. Managed to tweak mine to a noticeable degree at less than 20mph.

All you need to do is loosen off all the bolts that clamp the fork legs (and at this point I give them a bit of a shake) then tighten them up to the specified torque again.

It's worth noting that you need to support the front end while you do this or you'll have a bad time. I usually loosen both set of upper pinch bolts, give the clipons a twist or two, tighten them back down, then do the same with the lower set. This probably doesn't work very well compared to supporting the front and loosening both sets at once.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
New rear tire time... how long should a PR2 or PR3 last on the rear of a torqey 600? No more trackdays until September and I plan on riding out to the Bay this summer - not really worth killing a PP2CT over.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

okay so Michelins are off the table since I sadly can't get them through Tucker Rocky.

What about the Dunlop Q2's for my CBR600 F3?

Random slipping when very cold and don't last as long as the Pilot Power 2CT but they are an amazing tire. Rock em.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's weird, I've never seen that kind of chunking happen to a Q2.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The fun part is when it gets around 0* your tires don't stick for the first couple of miles so you get off the gas and the rear will gracefully slide around on you. It's awesome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dual street / track duty was my decision for this set of tires. Weee. I need a DD. What the hell happened to the days of $200 sets of Q2s or $180 sets of PP2CTs???

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 8, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

infraboy posted:

^^^ where did you order these from?

Motomummy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

That would be about twice that amount in Australia, new.

e: I thought that was for 2 tyres for some reason, that seems about right where I am.

It is two tires - a 120/70 front and a 180/55 rear :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

This is the best shot I have of the wheel handy. If you need a shot of something specific, please ask and I'll try to get it up asap. The tires on the bike were 180x55zr17m/c. 73w bt021r
Bridgestone.

I think the wheel comes off of an 06 CBR, according to Coredump.By all means, be concerned about sizing. I didn't even know any of these things are things to be worried about, so you can save me a lot of pain and frustration by being knowledgeably picky.

That's probably a 96 F3 wheel so 5" wide. You can run either a 160 or a 180.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're at a point where it doesn't really matter skill and feel wise.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pro tip: Motomummy sells 120/180 sets of the Dunlop Q3 for $230 shipped.
Fill out Dunlop tire rebate here: http://dunloptirerebates.com/pdf/GPQ.pdf

Set of 120/180 Q3s for $190.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
No, just take it easy as you increase the lean on the tires until they are fully scrubbed in.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Meh, I rode a SV650 home 40-50mi in an Arizona monsoon with brand new PR3s on it. Did perfectly fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Your tires were squared off and now you're feeling a tire with proper profile. You'll get used to them quickly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's probably more of a tire pressure issue.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can run those or just pick up a set of Q2/Q3/S20/Power Pure. The tires you have on now can be run up to fast B, at least, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pilot Road 4. If you only manage 3000mi out of a set of any tire on a 4 stroke 300 then you're doing something wrong.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Usually people run the opposite - soft front, hard rear - but what you're asking will be fine too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Can you not afford the extra $20 for a PP front? If you do Bridgestone S20s the price will be the same for a set vs your Shinko/Michelin combo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think he's on a tight budget, but that would probably be the best option if you don't consider cost.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
S20 will be about the same as the PP 2CT (4-5k for the rear).
A PP/Road combo will last much longer and perform the same to you. Personally, I'd run the PP/Road setup, but whatever works for your wallet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looks fine, the sandy appearance is what street tires look like when you start getting some heat into them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SmokedSquid posted:

Cheers. Is there an easy way to tell if you've cooked your tires?

If you got them hot they will blue afterwards. Street tires look very different from race tires when they get hot - race tires shed their rubber faster. The debris buildup on the edge is not a good thing for the above tires.

'Cooked' tires is something you feel in the tire as you're riding and pushing them hard. Some riders can ride what a faster rider would call heat cycled out and never know the difference. Some fast guys will run the heat cycled out tires and be fine with them spinning up a lot.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 14, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radbot posted:

My new tires feel supper "tippy", and for some reason I can perceive the difference in direction of travel of the two wheels way more. If that makes any sense.

That's normal, right?

Yes, you were used to a squared off profile. You cannot compare tires back to back on the street unless your running identical bikes / setups / new tires.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Low-Pass Filter posted:

How much should I be looking to pay somebody for installation of tires? Or is it really easy enough to do yourself?

$15-20/wheel off the bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radbot posted:

That's really cheap. I can't find anywhere that will do it for under $25 in metro Denver.

I normally pay $15/wheel but when I had to have tires mounted on the Tuono RSV yesterday I went to a local shop that costs $20/wheel. They let me test ride an Tuono V4. Worth the extra $10.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

builds character posted:

$16,299 wheel mount.

If I wasn't poor, then yes. :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I put Continental ContiSport sport touring tires on the Tuono for $150 for a set. Didn't expect a lot, but I'm liking them and would buy them again for a street ridden bike. I rode them at a trackday today - completely avoided trail braking and getting on the throttle hard with lean - I found that they had a shitload of squirm and could be overheated (you know it when it happens, no surprise) but they were predictable and very capable pace wise even on the Tuono - as long as you respected them. No more Q3 type rubber on a street bike for me again.

I was trying to stay with the control rider that pops up at 1:30 but stepping the pace up a little didn't feel very good. By 2:22 the front end just pushed and I couldn't even make it to the inside of the corner (turn 10). Turn 1 just sucked for me because I trail brake into it and get on the throttle early normally. Wasn't even going to try that on the Tuono.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5hnwh0TmQ

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GP-A Pro NTEC

• Locked thread