Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've currently got knobbly tires on my KLR 650, and I was wondering would be optimal for a winter work commute, with ice and snow on the road. Would tire studs be a good investment?

Not worth it. Take COTA.

And this is your first year on a bike right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
There's a huge difference between winter riding and trying to get through snow and ice. If there's snow or ice, taking a bike isn't worth the risk and cost. If it's just cold and dry? Layer up and go to town. Beyond traction issues, you should think about the affect salty water is going to have on your bike.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's exactly what I wanted to know... would tire studs help out with traction on winter roads, or are they more gimmicky than they're worth?

He just means when the tires are cold and hard there isn't a lot of traction. Studs are good for ice, but terrible for dry roads. Also illegal. If the roads are at the point where ice is a problem you really shouldn't be out on a bike anyhow, studs or not. Really, the winters aren't bad here, and you're only looking at maybe 2-3 bad storms in any given winter. Studs aren't worth it unless you're a lot further north and way out in the sticks, and even then the utility of taking a bike is questionable. Even with studded tires, taking a bike onto public roads in bad conditions is going to be a huge ordeal and super dangerous. If there's snow or ice on the roads, just stay off the bike. There won't be that many days where it becomes a problem.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
I have had a Pirelli Angel GT on the rear, ST on the front. The only reason I have mismatched tires is that Pirelli apparently discontinued the ST like 3 months after I bought the front. About 5-6k on them, still looking strong if not a bit squared from slabbing it for the vast majority of those miles. I have been super pleased with them but I never see them mentioned anywhere ever. Fantastic in the monsoon like weather we have had.

When I need new tires I was going to get a set of Angel GTs but I am considering the PR3s or 4s due to all the mentions here. Would they be that much of an improvement? The life is apparently twice as long as the Angels, doesn't that mean they are quite a bit harder? Angels are dual compound too. Whatever tires I get will be used for interstates and city travel 80% of the time, harder riding the rest of the time.

Next question is that I have the pressures set according to the manual for my Honda 919. 42 psi rear 36 front. I am about 160 lbs geared. Should I try lower pressures at all? What differences in wear and handling will result?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
MT75s are good and cheap. Don't expect more than like 5k tops out of the rear.

• Locked thread