Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bike helmets are a bandaid solution for countries with inferior cycling infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Or just sheer incompetence on the construction crew's part. This has happened more than once over here:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Will you still love make red light?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't think there's enough room for a jughandle, since there's a tunnel a bit further down the road.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I completely lost it when the truck jumped over the barriers. That video is :frogsiren::krad:::frogsiren:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

No, just people going home.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That's about $5 billion now.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiadhlHHLG8

That sounds like a great idea, especially when it's not traffic already waiting for the light to go green, but cars that are already driving around 50km/h...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm also interested (and Dutch).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Over here it's just a slow ticking noise if it's red, ticking fast if it's green and like a heartbeat if it's about to turn red.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I really miss Nutmeg :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well, browsing that SpaceHive website that seems to be part-crowdfunding the trampoline idea, I didn't find any other trampolines, but did find this plan to turn a flyover in central Liverpool into a park. It's actually not a bad idea at all -- really rather a nice example of taking poorly-planned 70s car-centric infrastructure and turning it into a more livable, human-centred space. The location is pretty ideal, too -- right next to a museum, art gallery, library, theatre and a big park. Basically a lot like the High Line in New York.

There's a similar plan going on in Rotterdam, where a former railway line (now the Hofbogen will be turned into a park, with the room underneath being used for shops, restaurants, whatever.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

In Chongqing they built a monorail line through a building.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fragrag posted:

2 land roundabouts are horrible and Belgium is starting to phase them out.

Turbo roundabouts are pretty cool, though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Actually, those belong on the road together with other bromfietsen since this year.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Is there nothing like a regional planning office or some department to coordinate all of this? Have one big fairly unified regional plan for land use and transport and growth then flesh the plan out via traffic engineers and transit agencies and local city zoning and such? Someone to coordinate all these very separate agencies that barely talk to each other but are critically entwined ?

What are you, some kind of communist?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised they did't just include a small space for bikes in the tunnel, like make the emergency exit hallway a bit wider and stick bikes or something in there. Or build a swing/lift bridge above. Seems like something that might happen one day? Or is the route not quite important enough to justify a bridge?

It's a toll tunnel as well, which complicates things a bit.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cichlidae posted:

So what's your suggestion for those through trips? If going through the city won't work, and a bypass won't work, what will?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Qwijib0 posted:

what's "wet"?

Not dry.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I live next to a busy railway line in the Netherlands and except for freight trains, I don't hear them anymore.

Assholes on motorcycles going through the tunnel underneath it, though...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fragrag posted:

I'd appreciate it if someone could dig through my post history and find my post complaining about traffic in Jakarta from September last year since I'm stuck posting on my phone.
I'm back in Jakarta again and well, motor traffic is still a humongous clusterfuck of epic proportions but I am heartened to hear from my relatives that they're eagerly awaiting for the MRT and more public transportation options. Especially compared to the NIMBY-ism often encountered in the West. I don't know how long this poo poo can last before everything implodes.

Here you go:

Fragrag posted:

I'm staying in suburban Jakarta at the moment and my god the traffic infrastructure is so awful. I don't mind the driving style that much, but there are so many cars and the roads simply can't handle the volume. We left my cousin's house and not even a mile away we end up in traffic and there's till roughly 30km to our destination. I'll think twice before cursing the traffic back home in Antwerp. (but I still will because we're still the second most congested city according to INRIX)

Fragrag posted:

Sorry, that was a rather knee-jerk post. I'm just really tired from travelling non-stop for a week and I got frustrated from being stuck in traffic. There's a lot of badly planned developments here without any decent foresight. Multiple housing complexes with several dozen residences only accessible by a very narrow road that barely has enough space for an SUV, let alone allowing another to pass by.
That road itself feeds into a slightly larger road that's absolutely jam-packed with cars. Further up there is a highway exit that feeds even more vehicles. The side of the road is completely built up with little stores without parking so people just stop on the side of the road to grab stuff...

I guess it's like Flemish "lintbebouwing" pushed to the extreme so that feels like home. :P The seemingly only way to fix it is to eminent domain the gently caress out of everything and expand the roads and improve public transportation.
In downtown Jakarta, they built a special bus way, which kinda functions like fixed track trams but probably much cheaper and flexible.

Are there any successful stories of cities fixing their traffic infrastructure?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cichlidae posted:

Except maybe for people who love parking spaces. We'll be removing thousands of 'em.

Why don't you just shut down all the businesses too while you're at it?!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Redistribution of the means of transportation.

Nice thread title

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Love the guys responding to the article thinking people are going 25-35km/h.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Entropist posted:

In Amsterdam, the only viable solution for the overcrowded roads in the center that I see is more separation of pedestrians and cyclists. Either encouraging them to take different routes, or banning pedestrians from certain cycling routes entirely (though that seems difficult in practice for whatever buildings lie on that route).

Separation of pedestrians and cyclists, and removing all motorized traffic, surely?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Entropist posted:

In Amsterdam I ran into this nonsense: https://goo.gl/maps/6tfUphBweHG2
They're hardly visible in the dark, and they didn't put up any warning sign. On a bike, these basically launch you at any speed. Why? And further down the same street there are beautiful speed bumps that cars can't pass at over 15 mph, but bikes have no problem with even at higher speeds...

How they managed to get that through in such a bike-friendly country, I have no idea.
While you can somewhat avoid these, more recently they placed another one right at the underpass further ahead in the picture, which is pretty much unavoidable on a bike.

There's a warning sign at both ends of the road that indicates there are three speed bumps ahead.

It's a cheap alternative to putting in a full speed bump (like further down the road). And it looks like you can just cycle past it on the side?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Livestream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb9sLxt-sA0

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

London's CYCLING SUPERHIGHWAY is getting some pretty good usage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLCm2hoM9aE

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It seems like it's signalled as well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Considering it's China I'm surprised they didn't put a massive bridge on top of it. That's what they do at most intersections.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Gatac posted:

Also, no sidewalks and a grand total of one bus stop - for sightseeing tours, I guess? Car-centric urban planning at its worst.

There's another one two houses further, actually.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Devor posted:

Are they not Russian? Do you have some other insight to impart?

Those light-up signal poles and mast arms are anti-MUTCD as gently caress, and you won't see them in the US any time soon.

They're Ukrainian. Not disputed Ukraine, Kiev Ukraine.

http://podrobnosti.ua/2135542-v-kieve-pojavilis-novye-eksperimentalnye-svetofory-foto.html

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sri.Theo posted:

In other news, Cycle superhighway 6 is being extended in London. Which is good when you look at the numbers it's carrying now. https://twitter.com/e14cyclist/status/848206815104053249.

Some of these people really need to adjust their gears rather than acting like they're climbing the Alps.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

private ownership of autonomous vehicles is dumb, full communism now

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Of course in the Netherlands a situation like this wouldn't really occur. Pedestrians would never get a walk signal at the same time there's any traffic over the crossing, from any side.

Yeah that would definitely never happen

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Right on red sounds like a good way to kill unsuspecting pedestrians and cyclists.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wake up every day with like 15 NUM4TOT notifications. It's great.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It reminds me of this situation near my old home: https://www.google.nl/maps/@51.8733996,4.4533174,90m/data=!3m1!1e3

Not urban but essentially looks the same.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Looks like a great way to make sliced motorcyclist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Time for a massive roundabout and tunnels.