Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I think this is the one nearby Chongqing? please send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Devor posted:

Engineering judgment

I would have moved it 20 feet past that driveway, or about 50 feet ahead of it

In the latter case you'd probably use this, right?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah I'm not in the US.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

make the curb 2 feet high

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

e: double post somehow??

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 2, 2019

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If it included capital costs it'd probably include HK MTR's massive real estate business.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I think if bikes can do it, then e-bikes should be able to do it. A cruising speed of 30 km/h is largely achievable, and some people can get up to 35 km/h. So that's what people on these paths already know what to expect, and that's what we have to build them for. And if that's what we have to build our paths for, and that's what people already expect, then that's what we should allow there. Assistance up to 35 km/hr. Now pretty much everyone can go some pretty significant distances in some pretty good time.

Most people in the Netherlands cycle around 15 km/h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

yes, cars are bad, thanks for letting us know

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I would like to see an actual problem with bike speed differentials before I start planning infrastructure around that problem. I.e. build these cycle paths first. Then, if you really get a lot of accidents with speeding cyclists vs normal commuters, start taking some action. Because I think it's a mostly hypothetical problem. At least, quite unlikely to be bad enough to stop regular people from using these new cycle superhighways.

(Anecdote time: I live in a Scandinavian city with somewhat decent amounts of segregated cycling paths, and I've never seen this problem surface, even with mopeds doing 30 km/h. Riders adjust their speeds when overtaking.

A mitigating effort might be to disallow E-bikes and mopeds from going faster than 25-30 km/h, because I honestly think that's in the neighborhood of where bike helmets stop being sufficient protection for the rider, and you should start requiring motorbike-like safety standards. Probably, the EU's requirement, where a bike cannot provide assist past 25, and no assist unless pedalling, is a good idea. Whether Australian law would allow a local authority to limit speeds on bike paths, I don't know, so probably this would have to be solved on a national level. But my point is, you can pass that hurdle when you get to it.

amsterdam moved mopeds off their cycling paths in 2019 and it significantly reduced the number of injury causing accidents. they're now arguing that the maximum speed for electric bicycles should be 20 km/h (most of amsterdam's maximum speed for any vehicle is already 30 km/h)

there's some interesting stuff being done to influence the speed of bicycles remotely: https://www.townmaking.com/search/cls-adaptive-speed-governance-demo