Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Aw, that sucks. Traffic stuff is my guilty nerd pleasure, so I've been enjoying this thread for quite a while. :(

Neutrino posted:

Engineers here in Wisconsin are being pinched but surprisingly Milwaukee is still floating with opportunities. I have it relatively stable and barring a larger economic disaster will still be here for many years.
So those "press the button to have a voice tell you if it's safe to cross" things at Marquette are your fault. :mad: (they wouldn't be so bad if their signage didn't make them look like a "press the button to summon the pedestrian phase" thing. Damned out of towners and new students annoying everyone by pressing them & causing a barrage of WAIT. WAIT. WAIT. WALK SIGN IS ON. all the time. Maybe Cichlidae can come here and fix that. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
How are you supposed to handle something like this?
http://goo.gl/maps/ypKui

This is a 4-way stop/double t-bone intersection abomination, but both sides of Franklin Avenue are further "in" the intersection than Ash St. Contiuing either way on Franklin requires a full right turn onto Ash St unless you enjoy going diagonally across 4 lanes, and then a left turn to keep going on Franklin. My strategy so far has been to stop in the 5 feet where you can actually see things coming(both sides have buildings/foliage preventing you from seeing poo poo on Ash St unless you're practically in the intersection), and then drive the entire way across without stopping again for the left turn that's involved.

It seems like a whole lot of hassle that could have been avoided if one end of Franklin was built 50ft north or south of the other.

At least it's not Gurnee, where the design philosophy seems to be "make sure people can get to Gurnee Mills and Six Flags; make everything else spaghetti." http://goo.gl/maps/I3Gx8

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:psyduck: It looks like they're trying way too hard to make every exit a right turn & most of the entrances a left turn, but I'd be astonished if there weren't a ton of accidents in that thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've chatted with a friend about this before(hi Dominus_Vobiscum), but I figured I'd post my local hopeless highway intersection/interchange here.

Google Maps is already showing a fair bit of congestion before we get to the intersection itself. It's not always this bad, but it's pretty consistantly congested on my way to work in the afternoons.

Culprit identified. That 14ft clearance bridge is actually a private railroad, which is loving up any chance of improving this mess. The one small mercy here is that since clearance is unusually low, you're not dealing with much truck traffic.

There are no turn lanes for either direction, meaning that people going straight are held up by people turning. Westbound is mysteriously always 10 times worse than eastbound; I'm guessing this is because eastbound people already had a chance to get onto I-94 a couple miles away, so there are no people trying to reach 94 & fewer people jockying to turn onto 41(which mostly runs parallel to 94, and eventually joins up with it in either direction). This is rather unfortunate, since the westbound lanes are the ones where nothing can be added thanks to that railroad.

During rush hours, split phasing is used so that the left lanes aren't gridlocked from people trying to turn. This means that you end up waiting a very long time, since obviously both directions can't simultaneously have a protected left while also letting both ways go straight. (Not that the alternative would be much faster for people in the left lane) How long? I've had instances where it's taken ten minutes to get from here to the other side of the 41 intersection.

Why is this interchange even here if it's so hard to make it flow smoothly? Grand Avenue leads directly to Six Flags Great America and Gurnee Mills, two popular tourist spots. Can't do anything that would force the tourists to get off at a much simpler interchange 1 minute south, then take one of the many roads connecting Washington to Grand! :v: (I loving hate the tourists)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Volmarias posted:

Government waste! :bahgawd:
Don't forget this is in Illinois, where everything is always under construction and government waste is an even bigger joke than in some other states. :911: I'm also not sure when they'd time a project of that nature to avoid hindering the all-important tourists; summer is busiest for obvious reasons, but that's also when construction likes to be in full swing. Maybe just tell everyone to suck it up and pay the (pretty small, especially with i-pass) toll to use 94 instead? :v: Driving on 94 is ten times nicer(and faster!) than 41 anyway.

Cichlidae posted:

Skid marks, especially on fresh pavement, are something to look out for. What could they tell us about the intersection?
It looks like someone had no idea what lane they were supposed to be in, and swerved until they settled on the middle one. This may have been combined with the driver being surprised by a sudden red light. Whatever the cause, people are probably going too fast near the intersection, especially since the way the lanes are set up suggests to me that most people turn left there.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 2, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Round-abouts are european and thus leftist and anti-american and anti-car and part of agenda 21.
Also "other drivers(not me, oh no) don't know how to use them and they'll just cause more problems and :bahgawd:". (ignoring the fact that "other drivers" are often baffled by things as simple as turning without coming to a complete stop, and that people need to use roundabouts if they ever hope to know how to use them)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
On a scale of 1 to 10, how terrified would you be to drive here? :v:

It's probably a bad sign that the first thing I did with this was go "how could I make the worst street possible?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That said, not all designers seem to really "get" them:

Yes, every single approach to that roundabout has a stop sign. :psyduck:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

AA is for Quitters posted:

Holy poo poo dude, this is fantastic.

Also, gently caress whoever thought concrete was a good road medium. Nothing like swearing you have a flat tire all the drat time because of stupid gaps in the pavement. Also, pot holes capable of eating cars. (not kidding, my boss wound up hitting a pot hole just right and wound up destroying the rear sub assembly of his car)
Asphalt gets monster potholes too, they're just quicker to fix. (But after the hellish winter we had, my area is being very slow to start fixing them) Hell, some of the asphalt roads here have spontaneously formed their own speed bumps from bits where the pavement hiked up for whatever reason.

If only there was a magic material that could handle midwest winters...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

It could just be the places I've visited vs the places I've come from, but I've never had more than a single car drive by me when I'm at a crosswalk. Cars driving by a pedestrian clearly waiting to cross is unthinkable, it's like running a red light. But holy poo poo in the US a crosswalk is like "this is technically a legal place to cross but no one has to stop"
Around here a lot of people won't stop for pedestrians, but the pedestrians also jaywalk all over the place and weave between (stopped) cars. We're in that weird zone where people walk enough to get pedestrians but not enough for anyone to know what to do when another human wants to cross the road. Bigger cities have enough of both kinds of traffic that each one just goes in a wave, smaller towns can just have people cross when there's not a car coming.

Then again, I'm also in Illinois, where everyone on the road hates everyone else on the road. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've heard about them before, and I still have to wonder how well they can keep up with snow in areas that get more than a light dusting of it. I've seen some drat heavy snows in my life, and I'm just envisioning a horrible snow/slush mix forming on these solar roads because they can't melt the snow fast enough. God help you if the heating elements break and the roads freeze back over(while still being snowed on). Can these roads even handle salt/plowing if that were to happen? Everything I find when googling it is just optimistic "we'd never have to plow again because HEATING ELEMENTS!!" fluff.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Shamelessly stolen from AI: I live nowhere near here, thank god. (Make sure you rotate 180 degrees to see the full horror)

How could this be fixed, short of nuking it and starting over? I assume locals avoid it if at all possible, but it still seems like multiple accidents waiting to happen.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Volmarias posted:

Yes. Raising taxes is practically political suicide in the US in the last decade, given the hard right wing swing we've collectively taken. We have a national legislature that claims that they can increase spending, cut taxes, and reduce the deficit, all at the same time.
But high taxes are keeping people down! All the things we need taxes for appear out of fairy dust and unicorn farts. :downs:

If infrastructure starts to fail, that's a clear sign that big government is inefficient and we need to privatize everything.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
To play devil's advocate for a minute, taxing by milage makes more sense - you don't magically cause less wear on roads just because your car is more fuel-efficient. Fuel-efficient drivers would still save on the base price of gas, they just wouldn't have that minor tax relief. Everyone wins! :devil:

But realistically speaking, it's presumably easier for them to do this than to deal with the outcry over HIGHER GAS TAXES :bahgawd:, so I'd guess that's the real reason why it was even considered. (And I wouldn't be surprised if it acted as a stealth tax hike for most people) It'd also have several kinks to work out - the biggest one I can think of is how they'd get their share from out-of-state drivers(especially with Portland being so close to the state border).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Are there other urban trampolines? I mean, I guess it's still technically the longest one if it's the only one, but still. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Here's a good list of urban planning articles from 2014. Not all of them are about traffic issues, but they're all fascinating reads anyway. In particular, the "fall of planning expertise" one brings to mind the recent speedbump/poorly planned bike infrastructure chat:

quote:

Capitulation by decision makers to community groups over experts on transit projects, for example, can be directly responsible for increased costs and lower performance. Similarly, when a high-rise development that would inject hundreds of units to a neighborhood is defeated, it can contribute to increases in the cost of housing over the long term.

But when the public sees these higher costs and/or lower performance, they often critique the planners for "poor planning," or developers of price gouging, rather than recognizing their complicity in the devolution of the individual project or the housing market (on the grander scale). Thus, planning experts suffer a credibility loss for consequences they, not only did not advocate for, but warned against. The public and decision makers then see even more reason to dismiss the expertise of the planning expert—replacing it with more reliance on the opinions of the laymen.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Thwomp posted:

Everytime this thread comes around to why Americans can't handle roundabouts, I think of this intersection nearby:

Stop signs, no guidance on which lane goes where and divided local lanes.
I had the pleasure of driving through there today. Not mentioned by thwomp: This intersection is on the most direct route to take from I-294 to Ikea, Woodfield Mall(biggest mall in Illinois), and a bunch of other stuff, so traffic's heavy.

The interchange of Golf Road and 294 also does strange things. No taking 294 south for you!

Baronjutter posted:

But that comes back to the north american idea that every single person needs to be able to drive, the bar for getting and keeping your license is so ridiculously low and there's such a massive political resistance to any change.
The problem is that every person the US does need to be able to drive, because in most places you're effectively housebound without a car. It's a horrible codependant relationship, but the "not being able to live without a car" part is going to have to change before the "standards for licensing are way too low" part can.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

https://slowstreets.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/stop-transportation-victim-blaming-and-design-our-roads-for-the-results-we-want/

Good article on victim blaming in the world of transport and how ultimately it comes down to bad car and speed-centric engineering.
Did someone say 'speed-centric engineering'?

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/27908/hey-look-that-flawed-texas-am-traffic-study-is-back-and-grabbing-the-usual-headlines/

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Cichlidae posted:

I normally don't advocate more police presence, but traffic control is one place where we could really use 'em. Ticket for people on their phones while driving, ticket for turning from the wrong lane, ticket for traveling in the passing lane, ticket for not using the climbing lane when you're going 10 under the limit, ticket for not using turn signals... I know cops are well equipped for speeding tickets, but we really need the "lesser" traffic laws enforced. ESPECIALLY the cellphone thing.
Is this one of those things where speeding is just plain easier to prove? And in the case of the passing lane, basically nobody treating it as one anymore?

Lobsterpillar posted:

I don't get why people think slowly creeping forward in your car is actually doing anything for them. Especially when people stopped at red lights do it ( in anticipation?).
If you have a short car waiting to turn right, creeping forward a bit can help you get a clear line of sight to the lane you'll be turning into. Emphasis on "a bit".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Snarky answer: Point out that people in big cities are perfectly capable of parking a block or more away from their destination without the world exploding. In fact, many times they have to do that if they want to find a spot in any reasonable length of time. Some of them even manage to get to stores without driving a car at all!

Practical answer: Find downtown areas that had a similar revitalization & show them how much things improved, and that people learn to live with it even if it doesn't have parking directly in front of each building. You're not going to convince everyone, because people are addicted to ultra-convenient parking, but the sensible ones should be open to it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So they want it, they just don't want to have to pay for it with taxes or have any responsibility towards it. The system works!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
This article has a picture of the planned roundabout. It looks like it is grade separated.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Jonnty posted:

It's also useful for discouraging "rat-running" where a residential street is used as a shortcut between main roads - the likelihood that you're going to have to wait, especially at rush hour, makes it less appealing as a speedy shortcut.
Why is this a problem? I know some people are allergic to the idea of non-residents driving down their street(even when the non-resident traffic is driving safely & slowly), but that can't be the only reason, can it?

I'm honestly curious, because that seems to be the same train of thought that creates endless spaghetti streets and dead ends in American suburbs. It creates a layout that's worse for everyone just to stop traffic from taking 'shortcuts'.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 31, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

cheese-cube posted:

In states where icy roads are a common problem do driver training programs include learning about how to handle them? Or do driving tests have a "icy road" section or something?
I vaguely remember "here's how to break out of a skid" and similar stuff, but like most other driving lessons, it's easy for them to go in one ear and out the other unless you make a conscious effort to follow them after you get your license.

The main problem seems to be overconfidence because of having 4WD/AWD/an SUV/a pickup(none of which will magically save you if you don't know how to drive on snow and ice), like so:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Chemmy posted:

What they really have is a giant slip n slide covered in used motor oil and some old cars to practice skidding around and if you smash up their designated slippery car it's no big deal the government picks up the tab.
That's weird, they made us drive over a high-tech perfectly frictionless surface they developed and used only for driving tests.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Turdsdown Tom posted:

these frontage roads or whatever the gently caress they're called that run literally parallel to highways are the craziest poo poo ever and the states that build them are loving insane. there are a few I see frequently near colleges in Boston and I often wonder how more pedestrians don't get slammed by people taking exits through these roads. like this:
Frontage roads are fine, but having them join the freeway so sharply is insanity.

This is how normal states do them. Notably, you get to them via normal interchanges instead of barreling in directly from the freeway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

fishmech posted:

And then how do you handle things like snow?
Don't be silly, nobody gung-ho about future driving/road tech would even consider snow. It's not like huge swaths of the country get it every year.

Speaking of which, have self-driving vehicles figured out how to drive in various levels of snow & salt without crashing/weaving all over the lanes/being blinded yet? Last I heard didn't sound very optimistic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

http://pdovak.com/projects/#/city-transit/
These are some cool transit vehicle posters.
I'm impressed at how recognizable all the Chicago stuff is in simplified poster format.

I guess that's a testament to how well simple branding/color schemes work.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CopperHound posted:

I love how people keep talking about the perfect autonomous car system like we are just 5 years from total roll out and replacement of human drivers.
Seriously. Even if we magically got perfect self-driving cars tomorrow, the legal stuff(who's at fault if a self-driving car hits something? how much attention do the occupants of a self-driving car have to pay to their surroundings?) and practical stuff(how long will it take to reach a critical mass of self-driving cars, given that people aren't going to get rid of their old cars overnight? how will self driving cars prioritize protecting their 'driver' versus protecting other people?) will take much longer to sort out.

And people usually ignore that self-driving cars don't remove most of the problems cars and car-centric development cause, like pollution/inefficient and isolating city planning/huge amounts of space used up on stuff dedicated to cars(highways, parking lots, garages, etc)/major financial burdens on the poor if they want to survive in a car-centric area/etc. Cars are an incredibly inefficient and wasteful way to get around(even though they do have their purposes), and continuing to build things assuming they're the primary(and sometimes only) mode of transportation just propagates that inefficiency and waste. Self-driving cars won't change that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is it Russian?
The tl;dr is that the roundabout isn't treated as its own thing, so it just uses the standard intersection logic for every road going into and out of it.

IIRC it got slightly better with an update that let you set certain roads as priority, but you're still fighting the simulator to get non-highway roundabouts to work properly.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

fishmech posted:

The fact that you're thinking the distinction is between "cars" and "people" and you don't consider freight movement at all is pretty telling.
Huge highways aren't specifically there for freight(and aren't the only way for freight to get into and out of a city). They're there because a city planned itself around assuming everyone would be driving a car, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy where the infrastructure rewards driving a car and punishes trying to get around any other way(and where huge amounts of space are wasted on highways/parking lots/parking garages/etc).

e: Here's a link for what percentage of traffic is freight traffic in various US cities(circa 2002, the only more recent thing I could easily find was here, which uses numbers from 2011 but doesn't just look at highway city traffic). In the bigger cities, only 10-15% of traffic was freight. Smaller cities bump that up to 30-40%, although it's not clear how much of that is specifically going to each location and how much is passing through on the way to another destination.

Remove the people driving cars to get themselves from point A to point B, and you need a lot less roads(and less wide freeways) just to handle freight traffic.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 1, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Trying to improve safety just through changing a sign but without changing the physical infrastructure generally leads to unreliable behavior. It's like when my town reduced the speed limits globally from 50 to 40, which I supported, but there's some big arterial roads that have no driveways, no cross streets, feel more like a highway, but are technically 40. People drive 60-70 on them, but some people are worried about tickets or just like following the rules and go the legal 40. This leads to a lot of aggressive driving and passing and big differences in speed.
And this is why speed limits ought to be set by road design rather than what arbitrary number makes people think it's safe. People think it's too fast and want slower traffic? Redesign the road so people naturally go slower on it(fewer/narrower lanes, more stuff close to the street, etc). Of course redesigning the road costs time and money, so it's a lot harder to do that even though it's safer than "it's technically 40 here but the road design makes most people want to drive 60".

See also: The joke of some Chicago highway speed limits being 55 mph while even the slowpokes are going at least 70(if congestion permits).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Eskaton posted:

Yup.

Design the road for the design speed. It's really that simple.
It really is. The main problem is that people want to drive on nice big roads with gentle curves but don't want maniacs speeding in their town, and it's hard to explain to them why those two things are at cross purposes.

Traffic natually goes slower in dense urban areas because - surprise - driving on small roads with lots of intersections and street parking makes people want to go slower. But have fun convincing people to make their roads feel less fun to drive on, even if they crow about wanting people to drive slower. People can barely be convinced that more on-street parking and fewer parking lots is good for downtowns, even though it has a demonstrably beneficial effect on local business income.

nrook posted:

That's why motorists rebel at speed traps and red light cameras: they dent the culture of impunity around reckless driving.
Red light cameras are pure revenue grabs usually run by private companies with no accountability. Speed traps are set up to meet ticket quotas and harvest money for towns. Neither is truly about safety.

If you want people to respect traffic enforcement measures, step one is convincing them that it's genuinely aiming for safety and not :10bux:. Even just changing the type of infractions cops tend to enforce would help a lot - it's not a coincidence that the easy money of speeding tickets is more common than enforcing other traffic laws(such as only using the left lane to pass, or making sure people have their drat lights on in the evening/rain, or making people use their turn signals when they turn or change lanes, or catching people staring at their phone while driving, or...). It'd be an uphill battle to make that happen, though - a lot of small towns and suburbs rely on that ticket money since it's more palatable than raising taxes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Mountain Dew Code Bread posted:

One thing I've never understood about this particular street is how the speed limit actually goes down when the street opens up.

Right here, this clearly residential street gets a 35mph speed limit,

But right when it becomes 2 lanes in each direction the speed limit drops to 30 and there's a ton of signs posted and painted on the road telling you the road is 30mph.

Of course everyone goes 40+ on this stretch of road.
It looks like it's still at least partially residential in that bottom picture? So I'm guessing residents complained about :supaburn: MANIACS SPEEDING BY WHERE MY CHILDREN ARE PLAYING :supaburn: and got the limit ineffectively lowered.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also depending on the road setup/amount of traffic, just because you stopped doesn't mean it's safe to cross. And you stopping can actually make it harder/more dangerous to cross if people fly up behind you and swerve into the other lane to get around you, instead of letting gaps form naturally. If it's quiet enough that none of these apply, you're probably just dealing with someone who feels awkward that you stopped for them even though the law says you're technically supposed to.

(this also applies to people who stop to let another car turn in front of them, except they're even worse because they're straight-up ignoring the law/right-of-way to do so)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

pun pundit posted:

Also, during rush hour on a two lane road I'm very positive toward people who see they won't get home any slower if they stop and let me turn across instead of creeping through the intersection in their endless line of 10 kph traffic
I'm thinking more of the situations around where I live, where you're unlikely to have roads that congested. Most of the time people being let in by someone being 'polite' create active road hazards because they're trying to cross multiple lanes of traffic, many of which are typically moving at 40-50mph and may not be able to see them if they're in front of the car letting them in(there's one specific intersection that's really bad about this because there's a gas station on the corner but a median preventing people from turning to go west from there, so instead they'll try to cross a right turn lane & two straight lanes to get into the left turn lane from the road going north). Even if they're just going into the lane of the person being 'polite', it's still dangerous to come to a stop when nobody's expecting you to do so/refuse to go when people are expecting you to go. 99% of the time people will get a gap naturally within 1-3 minutes anyway, so people doing this stuff aren't even helping their intended helpee that much.

If it's legitimately so congested that nobody's going more than 5mph anyway, then it's much more reasonable(and actually polite) to do that.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 2, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Carbon dioxide posted:

And that's how you do it. Since every road needs a full replacement every 2 decades or so no matter what, if you just include a bike path into every regular road project, within 20 year you have a full city-covering bike network, for no extra costs.
This is a country where many roads, bridges, and other pieces of transport infrastructure are literally crumbling because nobody wants to raise taxes to pay for it. I'd be thrilled if everywhere actually managed simply repaving their roads routinely enough to avoid potholes everywhere.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

LimaBiker posted:

Final thing: speed humps are horrible pollution causing devices. They are truly the worst of all things. Making people brake and accelerate all the time is a Bad Thing. It wrecks the backs of bus drivers who have them on their route, and also ambulance drivers have complained a lot about them.
I'd be curious about crash statistics around them, too. It seems like a coin flip whether someone goes slowly but steadily over them or brakes to a complete halt and crawls over them at 1mph, and that sort of unpredictability is bad for safety. They always struck me as a bandaid solution when people didn't feel like actually designing the road for lower speeds - a tiny bit better(if making people go slower is your only goal, anyway) than just slapping a lower speed limit on the road, but not by much.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

wolrah posted:

And of course there's also the people who want a wide, smooth, straight, clear road with slow traffic and simply refuse to accept that such a thing only exists in the land of unicorns and fairies.
I'm pretty sure this is 70% of why people refuse to understand that you can change a road to be slower. The other 30% is them assuming that narrower road/fewer lanes(or even simply refusing to widen an existing busy road) will cause endless traffic jams because they also don't understand induced demand.

Related: The people who get pissy at the idea of having on-street parking instead of huge parking lots that stay 80% empty most of the time. They don't care whether or not it's actually better for businesses, they just think it feels more crowded/worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

silence_kit posted:

Also, the reason why congestion returns to what it previously was, I don't think you can purely attribute to 'the cosmic law of induced demand'. Here is an alternate explanation: the government is not building out its transportation infrastructure at the same rate as the population growth in the city.
Sounds like a good reason to fund more mass transit & bike/pedestrian friendly infrastructure to me!

Most big cities in the US have loving awful traffic because the US has spent decades focusing way more on building road infrastructure than on non-car alternatives. You can't fix that by building more and bigger roads forever; there's simply too many people who want to drive into/in a relatively small area. And that's a large part of what the concept of induced demand is used to address - getting people to stop wasting time & money trying to build themselves out of a problem they can't build more roads to solve. If you want a serious long-term fix for traffic congestion, you need to either lower demand in the affected area(which is not a lever anyone has access to, as much as we'd like to live in Cities Skylines) or provide ways to get there that aren't a car. As a bonus, once you have multiple ways to get from point A to point B, people can shift from one to another as the situation changes(weather too lovely to bike in? take the bus! delays on the train? people who have cars can drive that day instead! people who don't have cars can leave earlier and bike/take buses/take an uber/whatever!).

Nobody here's advocating to ban all private car ownership tomorrow or thinks you're evil for driving a car or whatever it is you're worried about. We want to see more investment in not-car transit for a variety of reasons, some of which you may or may not agree with(lots and lots of socioeconomic issues tied in with building society around car ownership as a default) but others you probably do(ex. if you don't have to drive to accomplish basic life tasks, then stuff like half-blind old people driving/drunk drivers/people driving without a license/etc are less of a problem).

silence_kit posted:

take an ideological argument against cars and suburbs
Incidentally, nobody's(or at least I'm not) arguing against the concept of suburbs either. Suburbs can be, and sometimes are, fine! But there are many awful traffic engineering and (sub)urban planning problems that are very common in American suburbs, particularly postwar 'burbs, and come up a lot in discussions about either of those topics. This is not the same as people arguing against suburbs existing at all. They simply want to see better planned and built suburbs.