Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've heard that electrical vehicles would still be a massive drain on fossil fuels since that's what most American power plants run on. Wind power isn't quite effective enough yet, and solar power is still semi-dependent on petroleum (for the plastics inside the solar cells).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are there ever any concessions made to the fact that concrete blocks water from seeping through the ground to fill underground reservoirs?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Our interstate transit is sorely lacking. Let's extend a canal from Waterbridge to New Cork, and improve the roads from Hartshire to Waterbridge.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

I'm not sure where you'd like the canal to go; there's already one from Waterbridge to Fairport, and that's about as straight a shot to New Cork City as you'll get. If you want to go straight East, let me know, I'll punch it right under the new railroad.

As for the road:

I was figuring that straight east would be good, assuming that there's things worth traveling too in northern New Cork. If New Cork city to the south is the only thing worth getting too, disregard me.

And I'd also like to inquire as to what conditions are like in the surrounding states. Which ones do we get the most traffic traveling to/from, and do our local businesses have any major competitors in other states?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I expect congestion's not much of a problem when all you have is foot and horse traffic. Maybe in some key areas in the city will have problems, but other than that things should be fine.

Of course, when congestion does happen, it is complete hell. If a horse dies then it'll stay rotting in the street until some men can get there to chop it up and take it away. And everything is covered in poo poo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Our southeast coast has definitely been neglected. Let's build a railroad from Bridgefeild going all the way up through Waterbridge to Balkany. That oughta bring some life into the coast.

Also there's very clearly a deforested path northeast of Fairport that's just begging for a road, so build one there.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the best way to revitalize Deep Bend is to create a rail line giving it a straight shot to New Dublin.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Would it be at all feasible to build a bridge to either of those coastal islands? We need more unspoiled picturesque wilderness to ruin with our tourism industry!

Edit: I'm worried that if I merged B&B up with the NDHF, my Deep Bend/New Dublin line could get strangled by the NS, since they surround it entirely.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 13, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I might as well get in on this lakeside resort business so long as the islands remain closed off to me.

Also, I'd like to build a road from Waterbridge to Bridgefield just to the east of my railroad, for completion's sake. Rail may be the wave of the future, but you can only put so many trains on a single track.

e: Also, what kinds of manufactured goods are popular in New Cork and Balkany? I think I might get into the luxuries business next decade.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Good thing I built that road to Bridgefield. :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've still got a single profitable railroad! :buddy: And only my resort city still has practical transit going to it. :smug:

Are all the forests gone, or is it just no longer practical to render them?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought so. Anyways, I'm voting for Waterbridge, Fairport, and New Dublin.

Could you explain more about our railroad options? If one railroad sticks it out while the others around it are abandoned, is there a chance that it'll turn a profit again?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can't just convert a railroad to a normal road anyways, can you? Even without cars to plan for, a railroad is a totally different beast from a normal road.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was hesitating to say anything for a while, but would it be at all feasible to extend light rail out from Fairport to the surrounding cities? You've already said that most anyone with money has moved out of Fairport and just commutes now.

heythisguyhere posted:

Gentlemen! I propose a bridge!

Open up the island for profitable expansion. Don't know what we'd put there, or how how to arrange the roads. I'm an idea man, damnit. No time for details.

I suggest "heythisguyhere's folly" as an unofficial name, since it's likely doomed to fail!

That was a great idea back when I had it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

If we're getting close to 1890, all the people who still have railroads unaccounted for should probably speak up about what they want done with them, before they're all abandoned by default. :ohdear:

I was sorta holding back to see what everyone else was doing first. It's game theory at work!

Oh, and Cichlidae, you never did answer my question about whether it was practical to extend light rail for Fairport commuters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Whatever that yellow line on the city view represents. Aren't the trains that are currently in service mainly cargo trains?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I'll abandon my Waterbridge/Bridgefield line, but I think I should get my Deeb Bend/New Dublin line subsidized. It provides a straight shot from the capital to the biggest port in the state, and it's far less redundant than the Boltic/New Dublin line. Once the Boltic goes down, my line will start turning a profit.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I propose renaming Manbury "Swampfield".

Also, it looks like I was wrong and the Deep Bend/New Dublin line didn't take off. Might as well build a road connecting the cities if rail's not going to cut it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I've got some renovations here...

First off, connecting Manbury to Fairport, bypassing Waterbridge and Nogahyde. Then Build a bridge over the Fuckov up at Nederfield, since there's no other bridges north of Hartshire.

Then I drew up plans to make roads around the outskirts of Bridgefield, Waterbridge, Fairport, Green, and New Dublin, because why not. It makes it easier to traverse the towns, and people passing through can avoid the traffic in the middle of town (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

I'm a little worried about that railroad in Wellingford. Last anything about that town was written, half of the town fell into the river. It wouldn't be good if that railroad fell in.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 4, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

Road bypasses aren't going to happen yet (gotta leave some challenge for later!), but I can definitely do the rest, if nobody objects. This evening!

So wait, is it the road to Manbury that's a no, or the roads around towns?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wasn't exactly traffic-savvy enough to know exactly what bypasses are, I was just following the lead of that one guy who built a road to avoid Hartshire.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that over by West Hartshire might be a better place. That town's full of strong, sturdy, laborers for the military to make use of.

Also, not in my backyard. I don't want the vacationers at my resort to be bothered by bombers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the idea of building a good deal of new developments north of the river, but that lighter purple better be roads, because there's no way a train's going to work like that.

Also that kind of pseudo-grid pattern would drive me insane to navigate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess every city next to the Fuckov deserves a bridge by this point. Place some bridges by Deep Bend and Winton.

I've sorta hit a point where a lot of the potential improvements that I see would benefit towns at the expense of other places that I've sorta committed to helping. I feel like a real industrialist. :shepface:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How about some roads connecting Nogahyde to Manbury and Dersonia? Would that be feasible?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I say that we should put an aerodrome just north of Middleport, or if the upperclass snobs in Oliver complain, just north of Meridian east of the Fuckov, so that the capital can stay in the areal loop. The other airport should probably be towards the east, to catch some of that New Cork patronage.

Deep Bend seems like it's located on the longest unbridged stretch of the Fukov, so I vote the new bridge gets constructed there.

Also, rumblings of war mean two things: arms trading and warships. I expect that New Dublin's shipyards are going to be worked to the bone to meet the demand. With that in mind, I would like to reactivate the Deep Bend-New Dublin line. If it's ever going to be profitable, now's the time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sounds like Manbury-Fairport would be the perfect place to put a brand new motorway, since Nogahyde wouldn't be in the way, along with two roads going to Balkany and New Cork City respectively. Bridgefield-Waterbridge might be good too, I'd like for either road to be made, but both might be excessive by this point.

I don't suppose my Waterbridge-Balkany rail line is profitable enough to electrify?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How do you decide if a shopping center is worthy of a traffic light?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've actually got a professor who keeps saying that the buttons on crosswalks are just there for superstitious reasons, and the buttons don't actually work.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

6 days sounds fast for just normally rebuilding a road in america.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's your view on towns that set ridiculously low speed limits in order to catch people who are passing through?

I had a nasty discovery the other day on US 377. Apparently after it goes north past I-35, it expands from one lane to three, and drops from 60 mph to 35. That's a pretty obvious distortion.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The gas tax is the most direct way to charge people for their use of roads, but the American public is very hostile towards the idea of raising the tax right now, so no politician's going to go for it.

Traffic engineering is at the opposite end of the political system from the funding, so they end up just having to use what gets allocated to them, which is the same mess every government department providing a service is in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Google Maps doesn't have a current view of it, so here's a visual representation of my least favorite intersection:

There are roads that don't quite line up all over where I live, but this one's the worst.

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

A gif led me to this video of how they stop overheight vehicles at the Sydney Harbour Tunnel. Nice warning system, but despite all the engineering in the world, sometimes you can't fix stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoTMC-uxJoo
The video also shows a truck knocking a bridge girder off its supports, can't imagine how expensive that was to fix...

I can't believe people would be so careless. It is their job to drive that truck, it's all they do all day every day, you'd think they'd be more responsible about it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does the department of transportation handle the planning and creation of drainage ditches and such, or is that some other government group?

Roads and drainage systems certainly seem pretty intertwined.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've seen someone make plans for a theoretical redesign of Paris where they replaced all the roads with parks and grass, and decided that all transit could take place on subways.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get the idea of reducing cars, I disagree with the proposals of replacing all major roads with canals.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes things a lot fiscally cleaner for the vital revenue towards running a thing to come from the thing itself, although in practice the accounting might not add up and the revenue may all get poured into the same source everywhere. Toll roads are an example, as well as an example of the purpose of works paying for themselves not really working. Build an expensive new road and want to recoup the cost? Put a toll on it. And then the toll will never come off regardless of whether it paid for the cost, and often the rights to collecting the toll will be sold off to some third party anyways. I think the idea of some tolls is to even introduce an economic cost to people using the thing to try to encourage them using alternate routes and means? Which seems...dubious as a goal for most forms of transit.

There's also the argument that enforcement against people getting around subway fares is a massive load of trouble that wastes a lot of money and ruins people's lives.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

The Netherlands' famed bike-centric design was the result of them deciding exactly that 50 years ago, before which their roads and highways were basically designed the same as in the US and Australia, right?

It also helps that they were already a pretty small country with a dense population and very flat terrain. So nearly all transport infrastructure is going to be more urban planning, and most long-distance transit will be to outside the country where it's somebody else's problem to provide long-distance infrastructure the rest of the way.

And for freight, the entire country is either on the coast or near a navigable waterway, which has always been the cheapest form of transport per mile, and can also be easily ignored by most transit nerds.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I did check beforehand, and that sure seems like a lot of cargo going through waterways to me. And in a small country, that leaves not many areas very far from one.

Population-wise, it's around putting the population of Florida into Maryland. That's dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While we do need to develop more non-car infrastructure, when people come out hard with solutions that are just "bulldoze everything, build amsterdam", that's completely unviable.

And if you did give local governments unlimited building power, some of them would end up making things like this instead.

That's a perspective on city parking lots I hadn't heard before, although it doesn't make it better for cities to be a sea of pavement.