Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crankit posted:

What are the best ways places can reduce car trips for dropping kids off at school?

Most common solution is to just set up buses for kids to go to school that can have their routes customized to most efficiently swing near where each student lives.

Basically any other solution would require some kind of psychological grappling with parents about their feelings over their own children being exposed to the outside world on their lonesome if they're walking a mile between school and home. And that's a more complicated question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, that's a map with all the passenger vessels, pleasure craft, fishing boats, navigation aids, tugs and special vehicles turned off so that it's just cargo and tankers (Altho maybe the tugs could count as carrying cargo if they're pulling barges? Looking over at the Mississippi and it's practically nothing but tugs over there). If you look at it with all kinds of ships on, it's a lot more of a mess. It also looks like it's just way busier in general today.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:3.2/centery:52.1/zoom:7

Navigation aids I forgot to turn off, and they're the little pink dots. The big circles are still ships, just anchored. You can click each one and see its identity. The site even has filters for cargo capacity and whether the ship is carrying anything, but those you have to pay to use.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ferries I think also tend to be fuel-innefficient because unlike freight, humans want to go fast. On the upside, at least it gives a use for neat, unique, but fuel-innefficient technologies like hovercrafts, ekranoplans*, and hydrofoils.

*yet to actually be implemented, but there are plans in the works and as a technology looking for a use it seems like the most likely one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was under the impression that ekranoplans are actually more efficient than airplanes, but for a ferry service, the main comparison would be with boats. I'm also not sure how the whole air security and traffic angle works, and whether ground-effect craft would be exempt. Transit time decreases from speed could get eaten up with airport stuff.

And while there's definitely plans in action, it's not implemented until it's been implemented.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the severe dutch-o-philia that urban planning opinion-havers get creates unrealistic images of what the world is like and what is possible, and the heavier it is, the less helpful it is for anything regarding the real world.

Put away the wooden shoes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Unfortunately the political nature of government means that a lot of fake data can hold a lot of sway.

Of course, most of the various sciences that civil engineering relies on to understand people are "soft" social sciences that can leave a lot of wiggle room for people to justify their own preconceptions anyways. It can be very frustrating for social science experts to go parading around with old theories with very little academic support, but that's the world we live in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't like the term "Cycle Super Highway" since
  • it's mostly not elevated
  • it's intended to have a fairly different use case than most highways
  • they're proposing constructing multiple pathways at the same time to create a broader network (as they should) instead of one at a time
  • the word super is just kinda floating out there as an extraneous extra superlative
But nice plan if Sydney can actually build it. It's also probably got good weather for people being outdoors year round as well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Cycle Routes BETWEEN major cities? Yeah, right. Hah, seriously that's wonderful for you guys, but yeah I think the Dutch situation is so different that the nomenclature doesn't seem applicable. Unless we think of Sydney as being a series of smaller cities, which in many ways it kind of is.

For reference, the dutchlands are a teeny tiny place, so a lot of their idea of "between cities" is the equivalent of getting from one end of a big city to the other. Often less.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which I guess is also an exercise in "what the hell do the colors on these maps actually denote", since a few city shapes I tried weren't really that apparent, and the map sure didn't show off Cairo's bullshit sprawl.

Dang, you called it.

This is also why they can lay claim to a lot of fancy transit, they already live pretty densely, and when they really get the mind to build a big new transit connection, there's a lot less distance to build across.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you want your motor vehicle to go fast, at some point you need to be forced onto the big roads designed for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like speedbumps are basically never added as the result of a good decision, and often they're added more for spite than anything else.