Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It also seems like turning right at red lights is a uniquely north american thing.
It was also fairly popular in east Germany, and even spread to all of Germany after the reunification.
But it needs a specially marked red light.

And studies show the idea sucks, especially for pedestrians and cyclists.
So they are being taken down after their peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

It's not a loophole. It's the law itself. A moving violation is the responsibility of the driver, regardless who owns the car.

With a parked car there is no driver thus responsibility defaults to the owner.

This isn't that complicated.

Making everything the owner's problem creates a whole slew of complications, like rented or stolen vehicles.
In every sane country responsibility defaults to the owner whenever he is unwilling to proof the identity of the driver.

Don't rent your car out to people who's name and address you don't know. Problem with renting solved.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Who builds those setups? I mean cars|parked cars| bicycles | greenery | pedestrians.
Especially when despite the longs rants, the only picture seems to be a render.

Here there are only two variants:
The cheap/high speed: cars|bicycles|parked cars|greenery|pedestrians
And the more luxurious: cars|parked cars|greenery|bicycles|pedestrians.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

This only applies to low quality systems (which encompasses most American systems, to be fair). Several Asian systems are even profitable by farebox revenue alone.

I suspect there is some hidden "population density.map" thing in this graph.
With very high correlation to some political variable. Like, size of the transit zone relative to the size of the urban zone.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Well, judging by the memery around Germany's recent 9€ ticket the most important use of a fare system is to keep the inner city poors out of the resort towns.

Anyways, the experiment (of allowing county wide travel on slow trains for 9€ per month) was immensely successful for practically everybody.
With the only resistance to extending the program coming from people who obviously just hate poor people. And paper pushers who have their job depend on the confusing ticketing borders between transit authorities.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there a study of the results of that experiment? I'd really like to see some concrete outcomes rather than just "oh some trains were crowded" stuff. Like change in vehicle-km driven, # of public transit trips, etc. Personally it's never the cost of public transport that's stopping me.

It was only a few months ago, detailed studies won't be out till years in the future with how that bureaucracy moves.

e: Preliminary summation be the statisteschen bundesamt:
https://www.destatis.de/DE/Presse/Pressemitteilungen/2022/07/PD22_284_12.html

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 29, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

"'No Way to Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I feel like we should eventually get multi lane bike paths. So that the fast riders can easily overtake the normals. And maybe even an unusually slow lane for those 6km/h mobility scooters and stuff.
Maybe even a shared fast bikes and small motorcycles lane for the 45km/h crew.

Has there been any place experimenting with those?

Also, in my experience you only get bad interactions between bike racers and normal cyclists in car cursed environments. If the racers notice that the bike path has lots of normal people cycling along a 10km/h, they switch to the street if they can safely. Only, place I have seen with bad racer/normie interaction was mostly because the car street next to it was ultra deadly, even for cars, and the racers truely needed to share the lane with large amounts of foot traffic.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I don't think the main problem is normal people getting intimidated by fast bikers e-bikers or even fast E-"bikes".
There are just too few of them in most places, they have to slow down to match traffic more often then people have to jump out of their way. And the ones who dare, take to the streets instead.

And the other problem is the growing choices intermediate vehicles, that are too fast or large to comfortably ride on a bike path and are too slow and fragile to comfortably drive on a street.

Now, technically enforcing safety regulations to such an extend that a race biker or delivery trike can ride 45km/h on the street without fearing for their lives would solve that.
But building some "high speed" bike path "highways" feels much more realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

I think that's just a wider path eg instead of 3-4m, more like 6m. With sufficient width it will self regulate as slower cyclists keep to one side.

Yeah, a wide enough cycling path will probably self regulate to do 90% of what I want. And sufficiently traffic calmed streets would deliver 90% of the rest.
But, I still feel that a dedicated lane for the intermediate vehicles and going fast would make a lot of things easier. Even just by reminding them that they shouldn't be on the bikepath if there isn't a designated sub-lane.