Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The full list of contracts WWF picked up was: Mike Awesome, Hugh Morris, Lance Storm, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Shawn Stasiak, Johnny the Bull, Shane Helms, Shannon Moore, Evan Karagias, Chuck Palumbo, Sean O’Haire, Mike Sanders, Mark Jindrak, Elix Skipper, Kiwi, Lash Leroux, Wall, Kaz Hayashi, Jamie Noble, Yang, Stacy Keibler, Reno, Kid Romeo, and Jason Jett. Everyone else that came over either had their WCW contract expire before summer 2001 or took a buyout from Time Warner. And some of the guys WWF did "pick up" were cut before the Invasion even started with the 90 day cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

SiKboy posted:

Who are the other 2?

Rey Mysterio and John Cena. Obviously the third one happened.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The Takada fights with Cro Cop and Bernardo were not works, and in both fights Takada refused to engaged for fear of his life. When Takada did works they were really obvious because he'd book himself to look like a serious ground fighter and then win with an improbable submission.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

TL posted:

With regards to this under the ring as being in the ring business, am I losing my mind, or did someone win a cage match once by going through the mat rather than through the door or over the top?

Yes, JBL did against Big Show.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I believe that was Sharmell vs. Jenna from Survivor.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

That Savage promo above makes me wonder if he ever had a match with Bret Hart. On paper it sounds like the kind of thing that would be neat.

They had a SNME match in 1987 during a feud between Savage and Honky Tonk and the Hart Foundation (that feud is actually fairly famous for being the launch of the Megapowers angle), a PPV match in WCW, and worked a couple house show loops together.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 12, 2014

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If I recall correctly, because they took a couple minutes of stalling to figure out what the gently caress was going on and then whether Vince could stand, they came within about a minute of running over on PPV time (which was why the restart was pretty much one spinebuster and an immediate toss).

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

By the time of Montreal, Austin was going to be huge no matter what and Vince was already transitioning to an on screen owner type character, and the Austin/Tyson stuff (and even a little later the Austin/Undertaker stuff) was more important than Vince himself to Austin in 1998-99 anyway. Aside from butterfly effect type stuff, I don't think there's much of a difference in the end.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Angular Landbury posted:

Why exactly did they book so many Bret Hart vs Jerry Lawler feuds, especially since Jerry was mostly a commentator and Bret was definitely a main-eventer at the time. Did they just like working together?

They did a program during Lawler's initial top heel run in 1993 that was an excellent program but never blown off because Lawler was fired mid-feud for his statutory rape charge. They went back to it in 1995 because it was good the first time and left open, and their second run was not so good.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

I'm guessing that the start of Owen's issue with Bret and Survivor Series was happening whether Lawler wrestled or not?

Yes, they were doing teases going back before Lawler was suspended where Owen would sacrifice himself for Bret's glory or get beaten down for Bret to save or those sorts of things.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

It didn't happen often, but when they let Andre go in a promo, he looked downright terrifying. There was one heel promo with a close-up of his face in which he just looked deranged.

I saw it fairly recently, but I just can't place where. I would've liked to have seen him when he was younger and healthier. Word is that he threw dropkicks, which is something I'd never imagine Andre doing.

For awhile Andre was using a jumping tombstone piledriver as his finish. He was really agile until the mid-80s.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Thauros posted:

What was the story there, since Onita was not in fact in the '94 Rumble?

This is testing the bounds of my memory, but I believe the story was that Onita wanted to do it but was shooting a movie and couldn't get enough time off to come over and do the match.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

Interesting. I wonder if he would've figured into Tenryu and Kabuki's angles that night. Or if they were used instead.

The WAR deal for Tenryu and Kabuki was a separate thing, them being in there and Tenryu getting something of a push within the match was part of a deal for WAR to be the local promoter for WWF shows in Japan. That lasted all of one tour because the shows hemorrhaged money for all involved.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I listed Slater, McIntyre and Ryder but I'm sure there are other guys on the current roster who looked like they would be potential future stars but now languish on Superstars getting jobbed out. Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd come to mind too I suppose. I never saw these guys when they were coming up. What happened with their careers that they are now comedy jobbers at best instead of on the up?

Slater's in the right role. McIntyre, you can probably write a short book on his career, but they thought he was going to be a huge star and then he got a series of unfortunate breaks, never recovered from the stop/starts, and is now pigeonholed as a dork, kinda like Chris Masters was. Ryder got systematically deconstructed and buried for getting himself over outside the confines of what they wanted. Gabriel is to me one of their big missed opportunities because he showed something and got over as a near the top heel in Nexus, but they never bought into him individually and he's just kind of backslid over the next 3 1/2 years. Kidd never had a chance to be more than he is.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Do you think Seth Rollins is on the same trajectory as Gabriel? Once the Shield implodes I see him as the obvious odd-man out since he's the smallest.

I'd be surprised if Rollins cratered that bad, Rollins is a way better talker than Gabriel which is I'd guess they depushed Gabriel. But I'd have been surprised if in mid-2010 you told me how Gabriel's career would unfold.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What is an audible and how is it implemented in a match?

A change to the planned storyline, structure, or finish of a match. If they're mid-match, they're usually radio'd in through the referee, who wears a small earpiece to communicate with the producers. Pretty nonexistent in WWE except for injuries and time problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

How does it get to the wrestlers?

Referee throws them a cue, either verbal or nonverbal.