Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Jagtpanther posted:

I'm sure I remember Sable vs. Jacqueline that ended in boobs, my youtube-fu fails me though.

It was one of the UK ppvs. Jacqueline was on someone's shoulders and Sable ripped her top off from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I have fond memories of most of the cruiserweight title matches and angles. It's so hard for me to watch Rey Mysterio now considering what he was like when I was in my teens watching him in WCW. His matches aren't necessarily bad now but they're nothing like what he was doing back then.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

LightsGameraAction posted:

And compared compared to a lot of other wrestlers (especially Austin***) whose entire repertoire is/was mainly *punchpunchpunch* *throw into ropes, clothesline* *punchpunchpunch* *throw into corner, kickkickkick* *throw into ropes, punchpunchpunch* *signature move, other signature move, pin* he's an amazingly technical wrestler.

***= For Austin you'd have to add about 6 Lou Thesz presses in there randomly.

As far as main eventers at that time from the attitude era go, you had The Rock, Austin, and Triple H. Yes, Triple H was the only technical one there who could even come close to being called technical.

That sort of move set totally fit into the Stone Cold Steve Austin character. Austin wrestling a technical style after becoming Stone Cold would not have fit the brawling, beer-drinking redneck character. Also I think his neck injury really limited him.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I'm not a fan of stealing the opponent's finisher. A wrestler's finisher is supposed to be his move that he does better than everyone else, like Jake Roberts and the DDT. Anyone can do it, but no one can do it as well as him. At least that's how I looked at as a kid.

I could really get behind some super special finishers that only get used once every year or two because they're kayfabe too dangerous and could only be used in no-DQ type of matches. Isn't the Burning Hammer something like that?

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I cannot fathom a boring Tajiri match. Tajiri shits charisma.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I have to think that anyone calling The Miz awful in current WWE must not be watching much of current WWE. He's one of the least bland and boring parts of the entire company and always seems to mix up his promos and his act a bit each time. He's not nearly as bad in the ring as people keep saying he is and his recent match with John Morrison showed that he works well when he's wrestling a guy that can actually go and not a 60 year old 'WWE Legend'. The guy has gone through an incredible transformation since his arrival in WWE and we probably wont see an improvement of that magnitude again for a long time. Plus the dude is just starting out as a main event player and can only get better.

Also: He manages to troll the poo poo out of faces and heels alike in an often times humorous way without using stupid lines, poop jokes and gay jokes in the PG era.

To suport what you're saying, hasn't the Miz outright said in an interview he had to tone down his style in the ring to keep people from cheering anything athletic or impressive that he can do?

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

RBX posted:

Ah ok I understand. It must be more of a go away heat because his character did get tired. When you compared it to Vicky heat I instantly understood because no one likes her.

I love seeing Vickie interact with the crowd. I can't be the only person who loves the deafening boos she can generate.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Skinty McEdger posted:

Sandman claims he has no balance when he's sober. He used to work on the scaffolding on building sites while drunk.

Maybe that's why Bender looked like the Sandman in that Tales of Interest episode of Futurama. The Sandman is the prototype for bending units, and he can be arrested for being under his legal limit.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

LightsGameraAction posted:

1. Earlier in the year there were a few times when Lawler/Cole/whoever would discuss on commentary the need to win the match so you "go home with the winner's purse". Is this really still how they run things in WWE despite how heavily scripted it's become? Or was this just trying to lay some kayfabe for the people at home?

That has always been a kayfabe thing from back when wrestling was treated more like a real sport so the wrestlers had incentive to win and care about each match.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Wrong thread

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
With a lot of words you've said WWE doesn't have to be perfect to be entertaining, which makes todays lows even more baffling.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Perigryn posted:

The point system to earn title shots and such helps.

It also helped back when commentators like Dusty Rhodes sold it more as a sport where a lot of the matches were just athletic contests in which someone was going for a winner's purse while trying to advance towards a title shot.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
If Eddie Guerrero were alive, could Vickie get a crowd to boo him?

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Atticus Finch posted:

In this situation, did Eddie Guerrero die and then come back to life?

Sure why not, make it a fair competition.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Glitterbomber posted:

Well, I mean, when he was alive most of his career was getting people to boo him, so I guess having his wife involved would help?

Did I just imagine the phase where people cheered him for his cheating? Am I misplacing that and it wasn't close to the end of his career?

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jericho doing the 1004 holds thing predates Saturn doing the mop gimmick by a few years. However, Saturn and Jericho are buds, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's where Saturn got the idea.

Did Saturn ever call it that himself? I only remember Jericho on commentary giving it that name.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

ChaosSmurf posted:

I honestly think Lawler makes Cole worse, he seems a lot better with Miz on Main Event or JBL whenever that happens. BUT I never experienced the truly awful Cole days so I've never properly hated him. Think Josh Matthews, JR, JBL are all better though.

You're right. Lawler is so complacent and apathetic that no one sounds any good with him anymore. If they have to keep Lawler around, someone needs to ask him what it would take to make him invested in the job again. Otherwise get rid of him and use someone who is at least better at pretending to care.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Wade Barrett doesn't need a submission finisher unless they drop the bareknuckle brawler gimmick. He should probably use more strikes so his current finisher makes sense.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Hey don't poo poo on Mark Henry. His title run proved he deserves to be in the main event.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I like Wade and Alberto but claiming they could have just as easily done the Hall of Pain is just... :psyduck:

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
She's not even that fat anymore. Make fun of her teeth or something.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

GB888 posted:

I think this proves that Professional Wrestling is the greatest martial art of all time.

Sakuraba proved that in 2000.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Zack Ryder taking forever to change a tire while Eve acted hysterical was the dumbest thing I can think of in recent memory.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

VogeGandire posted:

Dumbest segment: Anything involving Hornswoggle.

Counterpoint: Any time Finlay used Hornswoggle as a weapon.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Snitsky angles were generally pretty terrible. Considering how often they rename guys, why didn't they rename Snitsky? It's a pretty terrible name.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Gonz posted:

I'm sure Punk wants to be able to function as a human being when he's in his 50's and 60's and 70's and so on and so forth, rather than be confined to a wheelchair and have to do DDP Yoga just so he can wipe his rear end without developing brain bubbles.

I know what you're saying here, but you don't have to be a broken human being for DDP Yoga to improve your life. Everyone capable should do DDP Yoga. You'll feel pretty good after awhile.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
You have to admit watching CM Punk deal with DDP's cheerfulness would be entertaining.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

STAC Goat posted:

Wrestling fans with young daughters? I don't know but if anything I'd say WWE doesn't market to girls and young women as much as they should. It would probably never be a huge money making demographic for WWE but I would think some clever Diva branding and merchandising could win over a new set of young fans and be pretty inexpensive.

Of course I think I basically just advocated for Diva Bratz dolls so I might be crazy.

It seems kinda weird to me that WWE has such a problem with marketing to women considering all the barely-dressed muscular men they put on TV for several hours a week.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

MassRayPer posted:

I like John Cena. I'd rather see a happy winner than someone telling me how he is going to make wrestling fun again. I'd rather not have wrestling tell me that wrestling is bad and how this wrestling guy will fix it with things I don't really want to see.

I latched onto a lot of what Punk was saying because I knew wrestling was fairly lovely before anyone on the show told me it was lovely. I've been a much more regular Raw viewer since Punk really got himself into the main event and I still think a lot of his criticisms ring true. In hindsight I was silly to think WWE was actually going to change with Punk in the main event, but it was exciting to have someone with actual personality at the top. Before ECW was taken off the air, that was the only weekly wrestling I was watching every week from about 2007 onward. WWE really wasn't fun and I could not maintain interest in the John Cena show. Happy winners are mostly lame unless they're like Mick Foley-types who clearly struggled to earn their victories or Kurt Angle/Daniel Bryan types who take it to a comedic extreme.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

89 posted:

Somebody's gonna have to help me out here but long ago during Samoa Joe's ROH title run, there was a tag match. It was during the Aries/Joe feud. I think Aries/Joe got into a fight before or after it. Anyways, I remember feeling like that tag match was just a perfect introduction to the whole ROH thing. Back when I would make VHS compilations, I was going to put it on a compilation that was geared as an introduction into pro wrestling for the person who isn't a pro wrestling fan yet. Just...can't remember which tag match it was other than it had Joe in it..

In another discussion, if you guys made a introduction to pro wrestling compilation that was geared into making a new fan, what would you put on there? Off the top of my head:

Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania)
AJ Styles vs. Chris Sabin vs. Petey Williams (Ultimate X)
Hollywood Hogan vs. The Rock (Wrestlemania X8)
Austin Aries vs. Low-Ki vs. Zema Ion vs. Jack Evans (Destination X)
Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Chris Daniels (Original 3 Way, TNA)
Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 26)
CM Punk vs. John Cena (Money in the Bank)
Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania)
Blitzkrieg vs. Juventud Guerrera (Spring Stampede 99)
Super Crazy vs. Taijiri vs. Jerry Lynn (insert one here)
Eddie Guerrero vs. Brock Lesnar (No Way Out)
The entire segment of Taz vs. Sabu that goes from that to a WWF invasion to Shane Douglas talking poo poo to Taz challenging and defeating him for the TV title after he wrestled a full match. One of the more brilliant multilayered segment to segment booked section of a show I've ever seen.

Cena vs. Umaga Last Man Standing at Royal Rumble 2007 was awesome. For all the poo poo we can say about Cena as a character, he deserves another mention besides Money in the Bank 2011.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Gonz posted:

A WWE featuring nothing but heels would be a fascinating thing to watch.

Heel announcers, heel wrestlers, heel referees, heel backstage interviwers, heel ring construction employees, heel doctors, heel truck monkeys, etc;etc.

At least then WWE wouldn't be telling us who to cheer for.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Halloween Jack posted:

I heard that this "Sandman" guy was supposed to be hot poo poo, then I saw him.

Contrariwise, when I saw Austin's ECW stuff after having seen his WWF stuff, I was blown away.

I saw just enough to make me want Sandman on screen but not wrestling. Remember that battle royal that made us think for a moment that Sandman would be the Raw GM?

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Didn't they do this with Austin, and he used to jet around on an ATV?

I picture Sandman doing the same thing and hitting walls constantly. You know, to stop himself and interject into the backstage stuff.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Halloween Jack posted:

They could have him crash through a wall wearing a Stormtrooper helmet and flip the ATV.

He would no-sell it just like hitting himself with the beer cans. :colbert:

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

VogeGandire posted:

I want to see Sandman joust someone on an ATV with the cane.

I will go to my grave wanting to see this.

This is better than Sandman hitting things with an ATV. Hit them with a cane from the ATV.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Spikeguy posted:

What was the first thing that got you into watching wrestling on a weekly basis?

I saw a series of with Ric Flair and Randy Savage in WCW around 1994 or 95. I also remember a lot of Arn Anderson promos as the TV champion. I watched wrestling before then, but that's what I remember getting me hooked on WCW, and Saturday Night and later Nitro are what got me watching wrestling every week. Getting hooked on those 3 really colored my perception of what good wrestling was and made it hard to watch WWF until much, much later.

Disregard how lovely the rest of WCW was around that time period. I can't remember any of it except those 3.

TenaciousJ fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 31, 2013

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Writer Cath posted:

Which cliches do you guys hate?

Champions having non-title matches - You're a champion. Every match should count if anyone is still pretending like wrestling is a sport. Non-title matches are only acceptable for heels when an authority figure is protecting them.

Backstage brawls where attacks that normally drop people make them walk 50 feet down - The most egregious example I can remember was a horribly one-sided beat down from Kane on Zack Ryder. Zack spends what feels like 30 minutes getting in no offense but can't be bothered to run away. He just plods along to the next area where Kane can hit him with something or slam him into something. This kind of thing was also why a lot of the hardcore title matches without Crash Holly were boring. They usually just look like walking tours of the arena.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if she'll be quietly future-endeavored if Superfly goes to prison soon. WWE tends to distance itself from murderers.

She's related to the Rock and he takes pictures with her on Twitter. I'm surprised she's not Divas champion.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Does Del Rio count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

edotherocket posted:

Given the type of crowds that attend Hall of Fame ceremonies, what are the chances that there are some chants about Bruiser Brody during Carlos Colon's induction?

I'm hoping Luke Harper inducts him, or the crowd chants for Harper while he stands up slightly confused.