Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ghostpilot posted:

I was checking out some OSW Reviews and they reminded me of several wrestlers from when I was a kid that were pretty visible but either consistently unremarkable (Tito Santana) or that I outright loathed (the Bushwhackers, the Nasty Boys). Did any of them have a good match?

Edit: I should specify a good match on their own merits, not being carried by someone else.

The Fantastics vs The Sheepherders was a five star match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Ghostpilot posted:

I was checking out some OSW Reviews and they reminded me of several wrestlers from when I was a kid that were pretty visible but either consistently unremarkable (Tito Santana) or that I outright loathed (the Bushwhackers, the Nasty Boys). Did any of them have a good match?

Edit: I should specify a good match on their own merits, not being carried by someone else.

As the bushwackers they kind of stunk up the joint, but some of their sheephearders stuff is really good if you like violent brawling without any comedy. Tit had a bunch of good showings against talented guys and I wouldn't go so far as to say that any of them carried him, but a lot of his later stuff isn't really too hot. That said I watched 10 tito/Perfect matches in a row the other week and the two guys had amazing chemistry mixing up their spots in each match they had.

The Nasty's vs Jack and Maxx Payne in WCW was a good match, though hasn't aged well at all.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostpilot posted:

Yes!

Tito -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1bsAeyj8QA

Nasty Boys -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WEW8pCkiOk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDSeCAaeryE

Bushwhackers -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uo_DetCx1A

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skinty McEdger posted:

As the bushwackers they kind of stunk up the joint, but some of their sheephearders stuff is really good if you like violent brawling without any comedy. Tit had a bunch of good showings against talented guys and I wouldn't go so far as to say that any of them carried him, but a lot of his later stuff isn't really too hot. That said I watched 10 tito/Perfect matches in a row the other week and the two guys had amazing chemistry mixing up their spots in each match they had.

The Nasty's vs Jack and Maxx Payne in WCW was a good match, though hasn't aged well at all.

It is pretty insane. but its mostly good inspite of everyone other than Jack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WEW8pCkiOk

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Curious wrestling question: who is the wrestler you've been the least impressed with upon first seeing him/her? Take this whatever way you want, but I figure it like you've heard of a guy as being hot poo poo, then you see a match where botches a bunch and fucks up getting rolled up for the finish. Something like that. Who is it!!

I have no clue who this would be for me, for what it's worth.

Ultimate Warrior. I like his entrance and his outfit but his wrestling and especially his promos weren't very good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Curious wrestling question: who is the wrestler you've been the least impressed with upon first seeing him/her? Take this whatever way you want, but I figure it like you've heard of a guy as being hot poo poo, then you see a match where botches a bunch and fucks up getting rolled up for the finish. Something like that. Who is it!!

Steve Austin. I got back into watching Raw when he was too injured to put on a match that didn't stink up the main event, and I stopped watching shortly before he started his awesome "Steve Austin, Psychopathic Life Coach" run. It didn't help that he was some kind of god to the most vile people at my high school.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Honestly man, I just don't dig Davy Richards. Maybe it's because I only started watching ROH around 2010 or so.

Halloween Jack posted:

Steve Austin. I got back into watching Raw when he was too injured to put on a match that didn't stink up the main event, and I stopped watching shortly before he started his awesome "Steve Austin, Psychopathic Life Coach" run. It didn't help that he was some kind of god to the most vile people at my high school.

You shut your filthy whore mouth. Steve Austin is a king among men.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Skinty McEdger posted:

Claudio. I still haven't gotten over my inital disappointment of being told to check this guy out in like 05 and then watching him stink up the joint.

Same. Also Kassius Ohno. Must be a Kings thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

You shut your filthy whore mouth. Steve Austin is a king among men.
He is, but there are Raw main events burnt into my brain, matches wherein the entire repertoire was punch, kick, clothesline, Stunner, Rock Bottom, and chairshot.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
drat Maxx, you could get to the ring with a little more urgency when your buddy is being beaten to a pulp with a hockey stick.

It's interesting to see the Bushwhackers (née Sheepherders) without the comedy. I think it could've been a hell of a thing to see had they come over to the States with their original gimmick intact.

My opinion of the Nasty Boys really hasn't changed much; you could drag anyone off the street to do what they do. Not to mention that they were gassed 2 minutes into the match.

It was great seeing that side of Tito, though -- shades of what would become Eddie Guerrero's persona. It's a real shame to see that he wasn't handled better because he could've been a great mid-carder. Instead of, well...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That bit in the Tito/Perfect match above where Perfect drops, Tito hops over him, then Perfect raises just enough to trip him has always stuck with me. Just a hilarious dick move.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Ultimate Warrior. I like his entrance and his outfit but his wrestling and especially his promos weren't very good.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DeathChicken posted:

That bit in the Tito/Perfect match above where Perfect drops, Tito hops over him, then Perfect raises just enough to trip him has always stuck with me. Just a hilarious dick move.

That part really stuck out for me as well. :haw: I'm surprised you don't see things like that more often.

sticklefifer posted:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK
His promos lose their luster if you happen to live in an area where you commonly encounter deranged, rambling homeless people.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Ghostpilot posted:

drat Maxx, you could get to the ring with a little more urgency when your buddy is being beaten to a pulp with a hockey stick.

It's interesting to see the Bushwhackers (née Sheepherders) without the comedy. I think it could've been a hell of a thing to see had they come over to the States with their original gimmick intact.

My opinion of the Nasty Boys really hasn't changed much; you could drag anyone off the street to do what they do. Not to mention that they were gassed 2 minutes into the match.

It was great seeing that side of Tito, though -- shades of what would become Eddie Guerrero's persona. It's a real shame to see that he wasn't handled better because he could've been a great mid-carder. Instead of, well...

Don't feel bad for Tito, he had a hell of a run I'm the 80s before the El Matador thing, and got out of the business with his health and sanity intact. He still does the occasional Indy show in Jersey, but its because he wants to rather than because he has to.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hated Davey Richards and Chris Hero for a number of years for a variety of reasons. Although I guess under the discussion it's more that I had a really bad initial reaction to Davey whereas I just thought Hero wasn't good and he turned it around.

Also WWE 24/7 in 2007 or so had a house show from the LA Sports Arena from like 1988 that had an amazing Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine match. Wish I could find it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, and Eddie Edwards too. I've still never seen a reason to think he's anything more than Generic Indie Man.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Andre The Giant.

As a kid I remember watching him waddle around the ring on stiff legs, unable to do anything other than slap and barge. Or limp briskly away from a hissing Damien.

It wasn't until youtube that I found he was a good wrestler at one point in time.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Halloween Jack posted:

If you got into him during the period of his endless matches with Undertaker/Kane/Vince then I totally understand. There wasn't a lot of good wrestling going on at that point, but he was awesome both before and after until his retirement.

For me the most hyped guy who didn't live up to the acclaim was Low Ki. I thought he was just another indy flippy guy at the time, but that was about 10 years ago so I don't know if that's changed.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TL posted:

Don't feel bad for Tito, he had a hell of a run I'm the 80s before the El Matador thing, and got out of the business with his health and sanity intact. He still does the occasional Indy show in Jersey, but its because he wants to rather than because he has to.

Yeah, it surprised me when he turned up at last year's King of Trios but he looked better than most of the other old WWF guys Chikara brought in from time to time.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Someone in the Austin interview movie (on Netflix) said Steve Austin isn't a guy you can get in three-four minutes, but once the matches start opening up, you really see something.
That's how I see him. I caught him at a bad time and didn't really get it until I saw the first Rock/Austin (way later even).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

If you got into him during the period of his endless matches with Undertaker/Kane/Vince then I totally understand. There wasn't a lot of good wrestling going on at that point, but he was awesome both before and after until his retirement.
I recall a lot of crap matches with the Ministry, and also a lot of crap matches with Rock and the Corporate Ministry. I stuck around for the Undertaker/Kane stuff because Undertaker, but eventually I just turned off the TV after the midcard matches were done.

Xacto Wife posted:

Sweet, sweet oxys
Yesterday I found out that the "sprained ankle" I've been walking around on was a broken fibula. Now I have a prescription for Percocet. So I totally understand now.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Taz is one for me, and probably for a lot of people who heard these legendary ECW stories, but only really saw him when he came to WWF.

This one too!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Minidust posted:

Taz is one for me, and probably for a lot of people who heard these legendary ECW stories, but only really saw him when he came to WWF.
I heard that this "Sandman" guy was supposed to be hot poo poo, then I saw him.

Contrariwise, when I saw Austin's ECW stuff after having seen his WWF stuff, I was blown away.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Halloween Jack posted:

Contrariwise, when I saw Austin's ECW stuff after having seen his WWF stuff, I was blown away.

I saw just enough to make me want Sandman on screen but not wrestling. Remember that battle royal that made us think for a moment that Sandman would be the Raw GM?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember him getting surprisingly fun in that very last WWE run before he was fired.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

I saw just enough to make me want Sandman on screen but not wrestling. Remember that battle royal that made us think for a moment that Sandman would be the Raw GM?

I wish it had happened, even just for a 2 or 3 weeks. Raw being booked by a belligerent drunk redneck would be the best thing ever.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Didn't they do this with Austin, and he used to jet around on an ATV?

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I picture Sandman doing the same thing and hitting walls constantly. You know, to stop himself and interject into the backstage stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He crushed The Anonymous Raw GM's laptop under that ATV.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Yeah, but this one had a Singapore cane.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

TenaciousJ posted:

I picture Sandman doing the same thing and hitting walls constantly. You know, to stop himself and interject into the backstage stuff.
They could have him crash through a wall wearing a Stormtrooper helmet and flip the ATV.

Question: Why was Tough Enough always terrible? Or was it always terrible?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Halloween Jack posted:

This can be said for a lot of ECW guys because they were booked so strong there and never anywhere else. In the late 90s before I got heavily into tape trading, ECW wasn't on in my area so I'd hear all these myths about Sabu, Taz, etc. and for the most part they were terrible/mediocre once I actually ended up seeing them.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Halloween Jack posted:

They could have him crash through a wall wearing a Stormtrooper helmet and flip the ATV.

He would no-sell it just like hitting himself with the beer cans. :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, but this one had a Singapore cane.

I want to see Sandman joust someone on an ATV with the cane.

I will go to my grave wanting to see this.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Halloween Jack posted:

Question: Why was Tough Enough always terrible? Or was it always terrible?

Tough Enough was always awesome? I am not sure I understand the question.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

VogeGandire posted:

I want to see Sandman joust someone on an ATV with the cane.

I will go to my grave wanting to see this.

This is better than Sandman hitting things with an ATV. Hit them with a cane from the ATV.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

To take that "Who was underwhelming" question in the opposite direction, was there anyone who was better or exceeded your expectations?

For me, it's probably a bunch of the NJPW guys since I didn't watch a lot of puro, but after reading so much about it, I started checking it out. Nakamura is a big example for me; dude was just miles beyond what I expected.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Quasipox posted:

To take that "Who was underwhelming" question in the opposite direction, was there anyone who was better or exceeded your expectations?

For me, it's probably a bunch of the NJPW guys since I didn't watch a lot of puro, but after reading so much about it, I started checking it out. Nakamura is a big example for me; dude was just miles beyond what I expected.

Jun Kasai. I thought he was an average blood-n-guts deathmatch guy, but he is a legitimately good wrestler, with a fantastic grasp of psychology.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Kevin Steen for me, hands down. He is much stronger than he looks. I never would have thought someone who basically has the physique of Kevin James would make a good wrestler.

Also, El Generico because when I first heard of his gimmick I expected him to be a joke wrestler like Santino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Roman Reigns. People who watched NXT more than I did said he was horrible, and I figured he was going to be a horrible wrestler who was around simply for being a big, good looking guy who was related to the Rock.

His singles matches have shown that he certainly still has some limitations as a worker, but he's been fantastic in tags and trios matches as part of the Shield.