Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Every single Survivor Series and War Games team Hulk has ever been a part of has been called the Hulkamaniacs, regardless of what other main eventers were members.

EDIT: Here's a question...who are some of the worst fathers in wrestling? Obviously there's the automatic Christ Benoit answer, and some of us know about Buck Zumhofe. And then there are #1 Dad winners like Fritz von Erich and Stu Hart. Anyone else?

Ric Flair seems like one of those fathers who was never around and in the rare moments he showed up in his kids lives they would been better off if he hadn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They are starstruck because they were in the presence of a WWE Superstar.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DangerDummy! posted:

I figured that his evolution from joke and pariah to someone everyone seems to have a good deal of respect for would mark him as somewhat of a leader to the younger wrestlers, since he took so much poo poo for all the heat he brought to himself and stuck it out better than anyone I can think of. But like I said, it was just a gut feeling.

Jericho and Show make a ton of sense, and Gallows is interesting. Roman is a surprise, not because lol Roman, but because he's still relatively young.

It's usually a good idea to be friends with your boss' favorite person.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

You do get why Undertaker and JBL were locker room leaders right.

Because Vince would listen to them and they could call him on poo poo. I imagine Roman can do the same as Vince's favorite action figure.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One of the biggest examples I heard about undertaker is that he was the one who had Vince go to the locker room after the screw job to apologize to Bret Hart. That seems to fall in line with the idea that he was a locker room leader because he could get Vince to listen to him compared to other wrestlers. That makes him a go between the locker room and the front office.

Edit: I'm not saying you are wrong, just that there is more to it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ecavalli posted:

I’ve long held the theory that either Vince McMahon literally wants to gently caress HHH, or that HHH has some drat good blackmail material on the old man. Otherwise, their relationship doesn’t really make sense, given how Vince treats the rest of the world.

What if they are loving?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VJeff posted:

One of War Machine (I think Rowe) has a move where they flip a guy over and knee him in the face, and it's called Ace Ten Mao. Anybody know the significance of that name? Googling doesn't really turn anything up.

I think that's a card game joke? I don't really know but Mao is a card game and playing ace, ten, and then declaring mao would be a win.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Venomous posted:

I mean I frequently don’t have the spoons to reasonably concentrate on any wrestling other than WWE, especially if it doesn’t have good English commentary, so I’m sorry if I’m not the smarkiest oval office on PSP but Roman Reigns is one of my favourite wrestlers in the world today and he’s been an integral part of some of my favourite WWE matches of the past decade so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Legit question, what do you get out of Roman? Like, I don't hate the dude but I don't get the appeal. Like, he was cool in the shield and has been a big meh to me for years. What is it that a Roman fan loves about him?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Canadian Destroyer, it's just so goofy and quintessentially "pro wrestling"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, LU is the only company I can think of who's regularly sweetening the audio in post production. I guess impact might of done it at some time but they seem too incompetent to do that. A live show? No way they're doing additional foley work.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I watched Masashi Takeda (c) vs. Isami Kodaka for the BJW Deathmatch Title from the MOTYC thread and it got me wondering, why are death matches more popular in Japan?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

When did wrestling in the US become a thing that was only marketed to men? It feels similar to comics where way in the past it was for everyone and then at some point an old boys club decided it was only for men. It obviously isn't like that in Japan and it doesn't seem like that in Mexico. What happened here?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Women's wrestling in the US collapsed in the early 50s when Billy Wolfe and Mildred Burke had an acrimonious split. Women's wrestling was basically taken over by Moolah, who had an iron grip on the championship, was not a good worker, didn't share Wolfe's interest in legitimizing women's wrestling, and treated the talent even worse than he had done. (She was a no-poo poo human trafficker, essentially leasing young women out to be sideshow attractions and to be raped.) So that was the end of US women's wrestling as something that drew both male fans and female fans who liked seeing female athletes taken seriously.

As for men's wrestling, I don't have much supporting data. But I'll suppose that as the territory system died out in favour of Vince McMahon's big-budget, high-concept, more cartoonish style of wrestling, most of the new, young fans were male. And after the 80s wrestling boom died out, and WWF and WCW emerged from a slump in the late 90s, the "Attitude Era" style was very edgy and macho and appealed almost entirely to men.

This is a good answer, thanks. I didn't think of Moola but the damage she did would explain a lot of why the market changed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NJPW has been doing record business all year, dome show is going to be fine.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I feel bad for them in that all the clips I see look great but there is too much good wrestling right now and they end up getting bumped out of what I watch.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

In thinking about how unsafe Nia is, I was wondering...is Hiromu unsafe or does he just wrestle a style that appears reckless and dangerous for others, but is actually safe?

I think he's like Bryant where he is safe to wrestle with but will only wrestle at top gear and is very self-destructive. Even that is tough to say though, his injury really had nothing to do with him. Dragon Lee either released the suplex when he shouldn't of or Hiromu just sort of slipped out of his hands.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

When Wikipedia first started they were obsessed with legitimacy because no one was going to take an encyclopedia that anyone can edit seriously. They're still obsessed with it in 2018 and it just leads to tons of draconian rules and insane decisions on what is and isn't becoming of an encyclopedia. They seem to miss that they're a modern institution and can use the digital medium for every trivial fact.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I wonder if Wiki editors care that something called TVTropes eats their lunch when it comes to maintaining a database on pop culture knowledge.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really want a documentary about the people who edit and run Wikipedia just to see how the Wikimedia Foundation handles the disconnect between their want to be a recognized academic source and their reality of pop culture and trivia repository. I know they're always hungry to have more academics contribute but don't seem to realize academics and experts are busy putting out resources that they can put their name on.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TTBF posted:

Which wrestlers are anti-vax?

Easier answer is probably who isn't anti-vax.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Yeah I was a big fan of Morrison but he was the reverse of my usual favorite wrestlers. I care a lot more about a person's mic skills and ability to play their character than other internet wrestling fans seem to, and Morrison basically had no in-ring character and sucked rear end on the mic. He was capable of being very entertaining, as the dirt sheet link above will show you, but he just could not cut a decent in-ring promo.

He definitely had the look and was fun to watch in the ring. I remember hearing not long before he left WWE that he was taking acting classes and I thought it was cool that he recognized his flaws and wanted to work on them. Then he wasn't in WWE anymore, and I haven't seen much of him in LU or now TNA, nor have I watched his movies... but I hear he still isn't great at acting.

This is the questions thread, so here's a related question: Did any wrestler ever say anything about taking the move Starship Pain? Obviously their role is pretty easy (lay still), but I used to have a theory that Morrison intentionally landed the move oddly because the alternative would really suck for his opponent. This was when people regularly complained that he always botched the move, and it seemed weird to me that Morrison would be so athletic otherwise and then just consistently gently caress up his finisher. Especially since he often dragged them into position.

At least in LU he knew he wasn't great at acting and leaned into it. His character is very intentionally hammy. He was also fine in his five minutes in GLOW.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dick Bastardly posted:

I wonder if the one I saw with the cummy title was a part of the Maddox/Xavier sexcapade or perhaps some other dude :thunk:

Maddox

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It also helped end the territory system which I would argue lead to less people making money in wrestling.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I will never understand why Vince McMahon thinks people want to cheer people that are portrayed as better than them.

In Vince's mind that would mean no one would want to cheer for him and people love cheering for him.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah the entire Goldberg/Brock program was golden and it still blows me away that they basically managed to do EVERYTHING right and every single person involved with maybe the exception of Kevin Owens came out ahead in the end. Especially considering how badly they bungled Goldberg's first run.

I was down on it when KO lost but besides that this is my answer as well. That program was close to perfect.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Was that the one where KUSHIDA just loving launches himself out of the ring before Hiromu has even arrived?

I just went back and rewatched this and Kushida hitting one of Hiromu's inflatable balls from his entrance as he launches himself out of the ring is amazing.

Also seeing Hiromu wrestle in that made me realize I'll probably start crying when he shows back up.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 31, 2019

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

People got sick of the program but that match was pretty beloved.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Where they were positioned I think the end of the chain kept hitting the table first for the first spot. Outside of that it's what Edge&Christian said. He's getting hit with the end or tip of the whip so it's not going to hurt as bad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

I want to ask the opposite question. What, in your opinion, should never be removed from pro wrestling, if you want to continue to enjoy it?

24/7 titles

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm sure it's been asked a million times but how the gently caress do these guys survive all these neck drops?

Neck exercises like neck Bridges and they don't. Doing exercises keeps dudes from instantly exploding but they're grinding down their necks and spine and it catches up to all of them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I feel like it has to be the schedule. The insane schedules they work means that they never have time to heal the small injuries which then balloon into real problems.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mind you the rape charges were not made out of whole cloth. He did have sex with a way younger fan while doing hard drugs together, it was just consensual. A legal scumbag.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Chinsuke Nakamura is also an excellent comedy act.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Which wrestler who also raps is the best rapper? By this I'm talking guys like Rocky Romero, NZo "Real1" Amore, R-Truth, Thuganomics Cena. They're all wrestlers who rap on the side or include it in their gimmick.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Collision in Korea was kind of terrible too but way more complicated. Inoki was trying to boost his political career and probably really did believe that a wrestling show in North Korea would help relations. Inoki had already done a show in Iraq that helped rescue hostages. It didn't get the same sort of criticism because it was not as blatantly evil as the KSA stuff.

Also Inoki wanted to fight Hogan with Hogan as a heel because he's the perfect symbol of America.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I needed to find a good book on Inoki. He's Vince level crazy but in such a different way.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

North Korea has always been hungry for these big shows of foreign celebrities and politicians coming to the country. It gives them an air of legitimacy and lets them tell their people "look how great we are, all these rich and powerful people want to come visit". They've ramped up the saber rattling but they've always been in both a forever war with everyone while also being hungry for any outside attention and praise.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

It may have happened more than once but I'm pretty sure JR said something about it at some point.

Yeah, JR mentioned it with glee

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

good, not the best match from either that I've seen, but it was a good ME

nah, I think it originally might have been Orange Cassidy/Adam Cole, and they had to pull Cole out because of Vince wanting him on Raw so he couldn't be on the Evolve tour

Yeah, they both hit their spots and sent the crowd home happy.

Also it was supposed to be Ricochet but he got called up so they decided to just upgrade and give everyone Dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it was wildly stupid. The chair was open on Eddie's chest and Sami swung fill force so the bat hit the edge of the chair and then kept travelling into Eddie's face.