Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DLC Inc posted:

I'm dumb, what is the deal with the NEVER Openweight titles in New Japan? are they just the "defend this belt anywhere" titles? I was under the impression the US Title was the one expected to be defended overseas, but idk. I really don't understand what the deal with the NEVER stuff is.

NEVER started out as its own series of events to showcase young wrestlers both in NJWP and also freelancers. It was also a very Japanese acronym: "New Blood", "Evolution", "Valiantly", "Eternal" and "Radical".

The current Lion's Gate shows are basically what they were trying to do with NEVER.

They did like 10 shows from 2010 to 2012 with the final show being a tournament to crown the first NEVER Openweight champion. The idea was to defend the title only on NEVER shows but that was the last ever show.

But the shows folding basically meant they had another title to work with on the main New Japan shows so it became the "old strong guy" title instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I find it funny that they would always go out of their way to say "World Wrestling Federation" especially when referring to the title belts, but have only ever said "WWE" ever since the name change. I don't think I've ever heard a character say "World Wrestling Entertainment"

That's because they're just called WWE now. It is not short for World Wrestling Entertainment any more, the name is literally just WWE.

Because you know, wrestling is a dirty word.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

It is short for World Wrestling Entertainment. This is the most bizarre conspiracy theory ever. I assume it started when they shortened their corporate symbol from WWFE to WWE but I don't get why.

quote:

On April 7, 2011, WWE, via the WWE Corporate website, announced that the company was ceasing use of the full name World Wrestling Entertainment and would henceforth refer to itself solely as WWE, making the latter an orphan initialism. This was said to reflect WWE's global entertainment expansion away from the ring with the ultimate goal of acquiring entertainment companies and putting a focus on television, live events, and film production. WWE noted that their new company model was put into effect with the relaunch of Tough Enough, being a non–scripted program (contrary to the scripted nature of professional wrestling) and with the launch of the WWE Network (at the time scheduled to launch in 2012; later pushed back to 2014). However, the legal name of the company remains as World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc

As far as they're concerned, WWE doesn't mean anything. It's just their name now.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It should be pretty clear that basically everybody juices to some extent.

Look up pictures of Rey Mysterio when he first came to WCW in 1996 and then look at some from when he was in and around the main event scene in WWE.

Similar with Eddie Guerrero from his early WCW days and to his WWE main event days is a big transformation.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The only good thing Enzo did on the main roster was, I think, on their debut when he told D-Von that Big Cass was gonna punch him hard enough to put that lazy eye back to work.