Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

TheCool69 posted:

Am i crazy or did Bryan use offspring "self esteem" mixed into Darth Vader theme as a entrance music when he was on ROH? All i can find is Final Countdown :/

I know for certain he used what you're talking about during the first half of 2005, up until he lost his match against Aries and went on sabbatical from ROH for like three or four months. When he came back against Gibson, I'm pretty sure he was using Final Countdown already. Before 2005, I'd have to check. I seem to recall him using it during his series with Homicide, but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like the endgame of a successful heel stable isn't necessarily discord, but branching off. Let's say all three decide to go their separate ways and recruit a tag team each. Now you have three cool stables, with three clear leaders. Not to spread them out and overload them all like the NWO did, but to have them independently go toward their own goals, with backup. One might turn face, one might go tweener and attack everyone, one might stay heel, whatever. But once you reach the top as a stable, splitting off into subfactions is another method of success if you handle it right and they don't cross each other's paths. Then you can always do a reunion whenever it suits the team.

Of course this would've worked better when there were three brands, but eh what can you do.

I think your notion has its merits, but it's good to remember that ROH did this with GenNext and it was basically poo poo. It would have been poo poo even if Aries hadn't gone away.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Paulocaust posted:

He's been wrestling for 13 years. He's not getting any better.

I wouldn't say the guy is ever going to be great, but lots of dudes have continued to improve after being in the business for over 13 years.

Basically I don't think he's very good, but to count him out because he hasn't gotten great yet seems premature, especially in wrestling. How many of you gave a gently caress about Mark Henry ten years ago? Or KANE three years ago?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The goal has never, ever been nor will it ever be to have a roster full of great workers--if your definition of great solely has to do with "workrate." The goal is and always has been to have a roster full of workers who people will pay to see.

Again I'm not really any kind of Barrett fan but you need to focus on your reasoning here. He's an evil looking guy who works a safe style and fans enjoy booing him, largely. There's a spot for such a guy and he has it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

William Regal isn't a bad guess for who HHH might pick to take over talent relations.

But Vince isn't ever going to die come on

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Whatever happened to Santino? Is he injured?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

If there is a person who complains about the poor booking of the WWE and also about why Meltzer doesn't give out a lot of ***** to the WWE, maybe think about that.

Part of a ***** match for him is (to a huge degree) work rate, but also a sense of history and build. The WWE has phenomenal talent and puts on lots of great matches, but often this is in spite of the storylines outside of the matches. The nature of WWE storytelling, constantly having to produce new content and blowing through feuds, is like the opposite of what Meltzer likes to see from what I can tell.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

What's the pay equality like for women wrestlers in WWE? I remember an interview a long time ago with McMahon where he said he paid the women in his company equally because it was "just good business." I'm wondering if there was any truth to that for the wrestlers as well.

Like obviously Paige won't make as much as John Cena, but would she make as much as someone comparatively placed on the card, say, Xavier Woods or the Miz?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mark Henry has always been massively overrated on this board.

One of my favorite thread titles ever was for Wrestlemania 22: "Showcase of the Immortals and Mark Henry."

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think Stone Cold has owned up to being a drunk rear end in a top hat who went through "dark times" but I don't think he's ever directly talked about and apologized for being abusive to Debra. Whether you consider that enough is up to you, but I feel like he's gotten away with not having to confront it outright just because of who he is.

This has been mentioned before and I'm pretty sure people said in response that he goes over it in his book in detail. I haven't read it though.

Personally I don't want an apology from Steve Austin for his domestic abuse and it would be weird to have one.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Mark Henry was a great guest on Talk is Jericho.

He talked about how his entire main event run came about from Vince ribbing him. He also talks about Vince trying to outdo him in the gym lifting weights. Also, I had no idea he won so many legit strength competitions and still held so many records.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

HerraS posted:

Shawn never really owned up to being a complete rear end in a top hat who was always pilled to the gills, he just doesn't give a poo poo and when someone tells him how much of a garbage person he was his response is always "oh ok meh"

Look at that interview he did with Bret when Bret came back and Shawn basically never acknowledges being a piece of poo poo when Bret accuses him of it instead going "if you say so I guess" every time

I'm a guy in recovery so maybe that colors my perception, but I didn't get "if you say so, I guess" from that as much as "if you say that's how it happened, then that's how it happened" out of respect for Bret. Drug use fucks with your memory and your motivations--half the trouble I got into while drugging I was stone sober at the time, and I still don't recall events like others do because my thinking was that hosed.

Like, damaging other people's lives is a personal thing requiring personal amends, not public ones. No one really cares or enjoys it if you make a huge affair of it, and if you do, it smacks more of you trying to use the power of public knowledge to force someone to forgive you, which is counter-productive and pretty nasty.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Aubergine Mage posted:

Sasaki/Kobashi and the five minute chop war

This is the best answer.

Though any of the Ishii/Makabe matches from the last two years of NJPW might also count? They're not traditional hosses but Jesus Christ they go at it like wild bears fighting over cubs.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Vince McMahon is pretty decent on commentary.

Why is he terrible at telling people how to do commentary?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah he's not great but he does a good job of selling the idea that two men are in a direct athletic competition to see who is the better man and that we as audience members should be really impressed with that. He comes off as kind of hokey but genuine.

Nothing about the above is true with Raw's commentary today.

Here's another one, probably answered a dozen times in this thread--was there a particular pile driver that started the no-pile driver rule? I would have thought Austin/Owen, but Road Dogg and Gunn were using the spike pile driver way after that.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

ParanoidInc posted:

What are some great Rey matches to check out? I recently watched his match with Psychosis at Bash 1996 and was curious to see some more of him in his prime since he was loving amazing back then and I haven't seen many of his older matches.

He has some terrific ones with Eddie Guerrero (Halloween Havoc '96 I think?) and Chris Jericho. Also there's some great ones in ECW also against Psychosis.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It started as a soft ban where if they thought you were experienced enough to do/take a piledriver you were allowed to do it but then it eventually got to be only Undertaker and then after that no one.

Except for Punk and Michaels, apparently.

Well anyway, weird. I do like that it's sold as complete death whenever I do see it now.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Brian Gerwitz on a recent Talk is Jericho talks extensively about his experience as a defendant in Wrestler's Court; it's worth a listen.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

remusclaw posted:

I don't think so. No.

One of the things I have hated in recent wrestling was again displayed at a recent WWE PPV when Seth Rollins hit a cool looking Pedigree as a reversal to the Roman Reigns spear. Wrestlers doing what are ostensibly super move versions of their finishers and not getting the three count and finally getting it with the conventional version. Cena has done this with the Avalanche AA. Karl Anderson used to hit a regular gunstun to finish and uses a TKO style one as a regular move. It doesn't even really have to be a super finish, sometimes people will just hit a move that looks amazing, and it never ever gets to be the match finish. It's like there is an allergy to creative finishes now days.

The current style is such that if you're in the main event or in a match with John Cena, one finisher won't do the job.

It's pretty dumb but it's their own fault. Wins and losses don't matter anymore so the only way to get a crowd invested in something that's not a finish is to get them to think that the finish is happening when it's not.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The first match I showed my wife was between Bryan Danielson and El Generico in ROH. They started with fifteen minutes of hugs. Still her favorite wrestlers.

She's a Lit major, so I explained it to her in storytelling terms (the way matches are constrained in what they do but elevate in stakes via moves and intensity), and she also got really interested in the backstage drama affecting the scope of the storytelling decisions.

But yeah, live stuntman theatre.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Can you buy Evolve VOD? How? I've been on the WWN site for like 15 minutes and it honestly feels like they don't want my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

oatgan posted:

The short answer is no. I think you still can through their roku/fire tv apps but when they overhauled their website to an even slower and more obtuse one after the move to floslam they took down the VOD archive under the assumption that flo would have their entire back catalog up by the new year like they said they would (they still haven't)

the good news: You can still access your old purchases through My Account on the wwnlive website if you have any. Evolve 3, 4, 45, 47, 55, 56, and 68-81 are all up on floslam and a one month subscription costs as much as 1.5 old VODs did so if those are the shows you're looking for its no big deal.

the bad news: its been forever since they added one of the older shows to the archive and they've offered zero timetable as to when they'll get back on that

Ah, lame. Thanks for letting me know, though. At least now I don't have to get back on that website for a while.