Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

budreck posted:

Obey the time limits stated or prepare to get ridiculed. Seems fair? We're past the age of fans having their intelligence insulted.

The time limit is a storytelling device. Expecting it to be adhered to perfectly is a ridiculous expectation that robs the audience of whatever the story's finish was planned to be. If the match has a "one hour" time limit it should be understood that it's approximate. The wrestlers don't have a clock, you can't expect them to pace themselves perfectly over the course of sixty minutes to build to the climax of the action right at the hour mark.

If you think that a "one hour time limit" match going 61 minutes so that the wrestlers can finish doing the spot they were in the middle of is insulting to a fan's intelligence, you're an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Endorph posted:

What would you rather have -

Oh no, they reached the time limit! We have to STOP RIGHT NOW because some sperg in the audience carries a loving stopwatch.
Or
An exciting and fulfilling conclusion to a match.

Exactly. This is all there is to the issue. That's all.

And for the record budreck you're lumping everyone into one group of "indy fan" so your whole "want it both ways" thing is incorrect. I don't want wrestling presented as a sport. It's a live action cartoon and I'm completely fine with that. I also don't want some sperglord causing a match to end one minute early because he carries a stopwatch around like an idiot.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

budreck posted:

Again, why didn't they just ignore him? This guy held enough weight to get them to change a finish because he started a chant. The whole thing seems silly, is there a youtube clip?

It's entirely possible that he and his friends started the chant which led to others in their vicinity thinking they missed a "ten seconds remaining" announcement in all the excitement and yelling, so they just joined in, which led to a domino effect. It's not that hard to imagine.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Neodoomium posted:

I've been to three ROH shows in Detroit('s Metro Area), and I've never seen GLF. I consider myself lucky, although we do have "Hulk Hogan Impersonator Guy"

Toronto has this rear end in a top hat who dyes his hair different colors all the time, covers himself in glow sticks, and carries a ventriloquist dummy around. I hate him.

I also hate those two fat obnoxious idiots who are in the front row every time but at least Aries punched one of them one time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Captain Charisma posted:

Did the dummy look like an Oscar the Grouch ripoff? I think that guy got himself banned from Chikara events, too.

Nah not that guy, this guy is a Toronto only guy as far as I know. He usually has blue hair, he's like 40 or 50, his stupid neon rear end always tries to walk up from whatever seat he bought to stand at the corners of the front row and try to get on camera. He runs a lighting company I think, something like that, the name is always on his back in lights but I never bothered to remember it because 1. I will never need a lighting guy and 2. I wouldn't want some idiot with blue hair I saw at a wrestling show with a pruppet

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hirams Bitch posted:

I don't think that's true because some dude was actually riding the stretcher trying to resuscitate him as they were carting him backstage.

I believe he had not been officially declared dead until sometime after that, though.

e: from Wikipedia

quote:

TV viewers at home did not see the incident or its aftermath—at the moment of the fall, a pre-taped vignette was being shown on the pay-per-view broadcast as well as on the monitors in the darkened arena. After, while Hart was being worked on by medical personnel inside the ring, the live event's broadcast showed only the audience. Meanwhile, WWF television announcer Jim Ross repeatedly told those watching live on pay-per-view that what had just transpired was not a wrestling angle or storyline and that Hart was hurt badly, emphasizing the seriousness of the situation.[48] Hart was transported to Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, where he was pronounced dead on arrival; some believe he died in the ring.[49] The cause was later revealed to be internal bleeding from a severed aorta.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Seymour Buttz posted:

Aside from a physical tag, which is still used, you can ALSO tag your partner in by going to the floor.

This rule is stupid and is the heat-killer to me. Why would any idiot bother trying to stretch out to his partner for a tag when he can just roll to the floor in a heap and let the fresh guy start working?

If you're keeping a guy in your corner and doing the frequent tags, stomp on the guy a lot, keep him grounded etc stuff, it requires even more suspension of belief than usual to not just ask "why won't he just roll two feet, he'd be out of the ring"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Seymour Buttz posted:

So you stop the guy from rolling out. It's not that easy to just leave the ring when someone is kicking your rear end.

VVV Exactly my point. If they're doing it right, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with lucha rules. VVV

I don't know man I just think it sounds stupid. If you can't quite get to the floor just grab the rope, they have to break, then you can just immediately roll out since they have to break and let you up.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Lone Rogue posted:

I got that. It's just the visual of Liger going apeshit and turning into an oni was so loving amazing that Muta making a comeback just had no magic to me.

yeah I completely agree but at the same time, Liger going insane was really loving cool, I had never seen that match before. thanks for posting

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sue Denim posted:

This is as good a thread as any, so where is your avatar from? I love it, it makes me think of either The Cramp's 'Sunglasses After Dark' or 'Goo Goo Muck' every time I see it.

That's funny, it reminds me of the Cramps too. It's actually from a 1970s book for kids called "How To Care For Your Monster" and if you want you can see some other parts of it here. The quote underneath comes from a King Khan & BBQ Show song.

And Fiveace Attorney, I'd probably show them Austin/Hart from WM13, or if they wanted to see something recent I'd show them Generico vs Claudio from ROH's RTTT Night 2, I love that match.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think more Canadians in 97 could pick Bret Hart out of a line-up than could pick GSP out of a lineup today, but I guess MMA guys tend to look less distinctive than pro graps guys anyways

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't know if you can really attribute that to GSP at all, the coverage I saw was 'UFC MAKES ITS CANADIAN DEBUT!' with less mention of GSP than the actual company.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't even post in wrestlehut anymore but goddamn what an A+ post.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Davros1 posted:

The Undertaker had feuds with Yokozuna, The Berzerker,

HUSS! HUSS! HUSS!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Daniel Bryan is probably my favorite wrestler of all time (certainly top 3), his work in ROH was one of the things that kept me from stopping watching wrestling entirely when I was super bored of WWE in the mid 00s. Great posts. Post more stuff. Someone go find some of his ROH matches on vimeo or wherever and post them too. Let's dive deep on the nostalgia for the dude

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Berzerker posted:

Daniel Bryan is probably my favorite wrestler of all time (certainly top 3), his work in ROH was one of the things that kept me from stopping watching wrestling entirely when I was super bored of WWE in the mid 00s. Great posts. Post more stuff. Someone go find some of his ROH matches on vimeo or wherever and post them too. Let's dive deep on the nostalgia for the dude

It is insane that I posted this yesterday and was thinking about how much I wish he was still wrestling, and then today he was cleared, I straight up couldn't believe it when I read the tweet, I thought I was getting worked by a fake account or something. I'm still speechless

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

shiksa posted:

whats your favorite move, regardless of whos doing it, like a move you just always love to see

Northern Lights Suplex, deadlift anything, perfect dropkicks, Muscle Buster, spinebusters

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Minidust posted:

Are there any notable matches that were actually won with a stolen finisher? All the spots I can think of were just near-falls.

I think Jericho beat the Rock with a Rock Bottom once back in like 2001 or 2002 but I can't remember when specifically

e: found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJRRq5V898

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 10, 2018

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

On the 'first heel you cheered for' bit, I think it was Demolition. Maybe the Mountie because :canada:

But the real thing I wanted to say was I went to an ROH show a few months ago and there was a kid there, maybe 5 years old, who was SUPER into Rhett Titus of all people. He kept screaming SQUISH HIM RHETT CRUSH HIM. So for that kid his answer might be Rhett Titus which is hilarious to me

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bad Wolf posted:

Because the Berzerker totally tried to kill Taker with a sword that one time.

Oh I did not.

huss huss huss

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

are you guys all forgetting Lanny Poffo on purpose? the man is a genius!!!!!!!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Gavok posted:

A year later, he became Ultimo Breakfast, which was him wearing an Ultimo Dragon costume with breakfast stuff on it. The mask was a toaster with toast acting as the fin.

I like the Dasher Hatfield gimmick but boy howdy but I loved this stupid Ultimo Breakfast gimmick.

Colt Cabana / Matt Classic / Officer whatever its called that he does for the juggalos

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

TheCool69 posted:

Do you think that the type of multiweek "deep" character study interviews like they did back in the day with Foley and Dustin would work today? Would todays crowd have the patience for it? Would it help a character get over?

I don't think the writing is good enough to not have it come off super hokey if they tried

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I know that when Vince (Jr.) took over the WWF, he poached a lot of guys from various promotions (like Hogan was from Gagne's AWA). I was listening to a podcast about Bobby Heenan and heard that he insisted on finishing out his AWA dates before he left but he was a bit of an anomaly in that regard. Is there a list somewhere of who Vince took from where, and which of them abandoned their old promotions vs. those who did the 'honorable' thing like Heenan? I'm just curious. Also are there any good books about that era of wrestling (histories, not biographies of individual people)?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MassRafTer posted:

Pretty much everyone left without notice because that's what Vince wanted. The list would be like, nearly everyone except for Heenan and a few other exceptions.

Follow up question then - who joined Vince from where? Hogan, Ventura, Heenan all came from AWA but I don't really know who came to WW(W?)F during the big expansion. If there's an article or something somewhere that I could read feel free to just aim me in that direction.

PS: Other question still stands, are there any books about that time period in wrestling? (And are any of them worth reading?)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks, that gives me somewhere to start looking into it for sure.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Aesop Poprock posted:

He was pretty well regarded in ROH. Great match with Danielson for the title but like was mentioned he wasn’t really a viable long term champion but he was fine transitionally

Yeah I liked most of his matches as ROH champ, though I haven't watched them in ages. I just googled and found his match where he lost the title to Danielson if anybody is curious to see it. (I don't know this website or if it will give your computer syphilis or whatever though)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

What are some of Mick Foley's best matches (before WWE)? I remember loving Mind Games vs HBK but I don't know much of Foley's work before WWE tbh. Bonus points if you can link me a dailymotion of whatever you recommend

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks to you both. I found the Beach Blast match on Dailymotion as well!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Aphrodite posted:

It was until recently. Now you can just sign up.

I don't have any intention of signing up, but I just went to their website to test this and the first thing it asks for is to log in with your TV provider's credentials if you want to download the app or watch online.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I didn't watch a ton of TNA but I remember a ladder match that had Jerry Lynn in it and it was good. I remember Kevin Nash with a pipe with the Alex Shelley stuff. I remember the AJ / Daniels / Joe stuff being good. I also remember a loving ton of Jeff Jarrett winning which was very bad. Oh and a match where someone got a box off a pole and the box fired them which is so stupid and hilarious

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm not gonna write up a summary of the book for you, guy. But if you want to learn the history of the territories (with bits of Canada and Japan) you should read the Death of the Territories - who bought out who, who double crossed the NWA when, all of the stuff Vince did that broke the unwritten rules, who stole TV slots from who, etc.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I was also at Survivor Series and lots of people around me were super pissed at the Goldberg squash. But I thought it was hilarious

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Halloween Jack posted:

When was the last time you thought about John Nord besides this story

huss, huss, huss

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

forkboy84 posted:

He was so charismatic, had exquisite timing, and I miss him.

God, me too. I was at my office looking for somebody's business card in one of those plastic sleeve booklets and found a Sweet & Sour Inc. card and it made me sad.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Schneider Heim posted:

Any famous/infamous instances of wrestlers stealing their opponents' finishers to win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n5GHuIFJPk

This video has a bunch of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty sure it was Jake Roberts. Snake and DDT combined was too much for a little boy to not think was the coolest.

Same for me, for the same reasons. And then he let a snake bite Macho Man and I didn't like him anymore.