Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'm definitely going to reveal my ignorance here, but what's the practical difference between the PD2700 and the BenQ SW271? I'm looking to get more seriously into printing this spring. A paper rep I talked to was really pushing the sw271 but I can't remember what made it so much better than the less expensive models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies and the tip on the refurb monitors! I haven't done enough color work and printing to know what I'm gaining/losing from a workflow with the higher end vs. lower end monitors, but that at least lays out the salient differences.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Congrats! I have an acquaintance who recently got that lens and loves it.

You probably don't need a special bag just to carry it around unless you are expecting inclement weather/sand/banging it around rocks etc. Keep it out and ready to shoot with! You might think about something like a black rapid strap attached to the lens' tripod foot rather than the camera body. Better balance that way. Otherwise there's the potential for some strain on the camera mount. Nothing to panic about if you don't have this, but something to think about.

The Gen 2 tamrons don't fit in it, but I used to use a Think Tank digital holster on a padded shoulder strap. It was pretty convenient although not padded on the lower portion. I'm not sure of the model number, don't have it with me.

Monopod or tripod is not a bad idea if you are going to a small local (e.g. boardwalk at a wetlands), but the point is that these lenses are light enough to reasonably hand-hold so take advantage of that and enjoy the mobility.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My advice is to embrace leisurely trail walking, and if you want to do serious hiking, bring a smaller lens. At least that's what I do. From my own experience, I'm much more likely to actually take picture if the camera is out and ready to go– the activation energy to stop, fiddle with my backpack, get the camera out, shoot (assuming the critter is still there), put it away, is not insignificant. My default is slow anyway since I also have binoculars out and I'm checking out birds etc. Of course if you have a plan, like get to the top of a mountain and get some cool tele shots, then a backpack is definitely the way to go.

And yeah, my shoulders feel it after a few hours. Not going to lie.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a lot of experience with contests (I've won one, entered maybe 5?). At least for nature photography contests you don't get feedback from the judges. My advice: Assuming there's an entry fee, enter the ones you really love. Pick something that tells a story, and something fairly unique (like for wildlife don't just pick a bald eagle sitting on a branch or a bear in a field). Be prepared to craft a nice paragraph about your photo– this may be submitted at entry or if you make the next cut of entries. And it's more than just a little bit of a crap shoot, most contest get so many entries I really don't know how they can possibly narrow it down.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been printing on a Pixma Pro 100 with canon inks. If I switch to 3rd party inks, do I have to switch all the cartridges out at once, or can I switch them out as my canon cartridges run out?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’ve done a couple of books with Costco and I’d rate the ui ok and the books very good.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

That’s cool. Decent price?

I got the square hardback (12”?), and I think it was comperable. Hard to tell because most other print companies run coupons or promos all the time.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Inkjet questions

1) I've printed hundreds of inkjet notecards over the past year or so, and for the first time I've had some sort of issue with storage. I package them in a plastic sleeve with an envelope and seal them up, and just with the past couple of weeks, I've had some of them stick to the inside of the sleeve. It's just a strip near the spine where the pressure of the curvature of the card (plus the envelope) pushes on the sleeve a little bit more. Fucks up the card because when the plastic separates it pulls off some of the ink with it. What's most likely to be causing this?

-Not letting the ink dry sufficiently before packaging?
-Temperature? Directly sunlight?
-General humidity issue?
-faulty pack of cardstock or sleeves?

I'm going to be real careful with all these things from here on out, but just wondering if there's something in particular that tends to causes a print to stick to plastic. I don't think I've done anything real different this month so it's kind of a puzzle.

2) (I asked this before but didn't get a response, trying again). I've got a Pixma Pro 100. If I switch from Canon ink to 3rd party ink, do I need to switch all cartridges out at once, or can I switch them out one at a time as the old ones get used up?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lightroom printing question. I'm trying to print 12x18 on 13x19. Lightroom is allowing me to select A3+ paper size, and the size looks right in the print module, but when I print it comes out as ~5.5x8 on the 13x19 paper. Not sure what I'm missing here...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Lightroom printing question. I'm trying to print 12x18 on 13x19. Lightroom is allowing me to select A3+ paper size, and the size looks right in the print module, but when I print it comes out as ~5.5x8 on the 13x19 paper. Not sure what I'm missing here...

Not sure if this counts as a solution or work-around, but I got it working by using the Print Studio Pro plug-in in Lightroom.

e: Moab rep just emailed me with a second solution: On a Mac, selecting paper size doesn't always change all the relevant settings, and you need to check under Print Settings/Paper Handling to check scaling and destination paper size. Even though I'd set paper size under Page Setup, under Paper Handling it was set to Letter.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 5, 2019

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not speaking from any expertise here, but wondering if you are shooting at the upper ISO limit that might be expanded ISO range that maybe requires some additional processing. So maybe backing off a stop or two into the standard range might help?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Canon's official west coast repair address is:
Canon Factory Service Center
123 Paularino Ave
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

No idea whether they'll still work on a 50D.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever had luck recovering corrupted .cr2 files either from a CF card or hard drive? I just got some killer shots of an owl that looked fine on the back of the camera. Start to import into Lightroom and they are all garbled and trashy. Previewing a raw file on the card from my computer also shows corruption, so it wasn't a bad copy to my hdd.

I'd settle for getting a jpeg if I can't get the raw file itself.

e: So far I found JPEG Recovery LAB but it's PC and I'm on Mac. I'm thinking it might be a fragmentation issue because some files that worked fine when I downloaded yesterday show corrupted .cr2 previews on the card today.

I can make in-camera .jpegs but they are also corrupted.

Examples corrupted pics on Flickr

Examples corrupted pics on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 6, 2019

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Dump a CR2 somewhere and I'll take a look.

Thanks! Here are links to one two three.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I ended up printing through Canon's Print Studio Pro plugin because on a Mac the print settings would not always grab everything from Lightroom. It's definitely a different interface than Lightroom but I've come to like it because everything is there in one spot instead of having to jump between different tabs/screens.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a good link for how to photograph largish art pieces (up to 6 feet or so, both paintings and 3-d). Someone may be willing to pay me to do this, and I'd love to go in with something of a plan.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

For paintings, I did this for a client last year - https://www.artworkarchive.com/blog/4-steps-to-photographing-your-art-like-a-professional

Set up two softboxes on either side at a 45 deg angle to hit the painting and light in evenly, camera on tripod in between them. If you don't have softboxes, just get some big pieces of white foam core from a store and shoot the lights off them to make them reflectors.

Perfect, thanks. I don't have the soft boxes but the sheet trick looks do-able if we don't have a good spot with natural light.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

What’s the best option for printing from Mac and Windows, respectively? I have the Fischer Price version of Lightroom, so no printing from there.

Which printer? Canons come with Print Studio Pro. It manages all the icc profiles and printer set up better than Lightroom. And it can run as a Lightroom plugin.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

It’s a Canon PIXMA. I didn’t think about just using their off-the-shelf software; maybe because I’m used to manufacturer software being not great. I’ll check it out.

Also, this is Lightroom CC, so no plugins.

I'm not sure the workflow then, but I guess you can export a .tiff or .jpg from Lightroom then open it in Print Studio Pro. It's worth doublechecking that you can't access it directly from Lightroom. It's not really a plugin in the same way that the enhanced editing apps are.

File -> Plugin- Extras -> Canon Print Studio Pro

To be honest I can't remember how I got that to work the first time but I'm sure it's on the google.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the best thing to use to lubricate tripod leg locks? I've got a Manfrotto Carbon Fiber with flip locks that sound like a mid-level demons tearing through the fabric of time and space whenever I open them. I've looked online and found some conflicting info or at least differences of opinion. Take the whole thing apart and clean but don't use lubricant? Graphite powder? White grease? WD-40?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

For bird nerds 300mm is like the starter focal length. :v:

Unfortunately this is pretty true. Think about your budget, how heavy you are willing to go, and whether you want something that's multi-purpose or really a dedicated critter lens. The basic 70-300 that most manufacturers have is where many people start but most wild birds are small and shy enough that it's not ideal.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Costco is pretty good for what you describe. My in-laws use them for prints and I’ve had great luck with a canvas and several of the glossy photo books.

E: Bay Photo is great too, but not a budget option.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 22, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fools Infinite posted:

Instead of doing a traditional photobook through some photo service, I used blurb to design and print a trade book. It gave a lot more customizability to how things were laid out, and I liked being able to get it printed on matte paper. I can't speak too much for the quality, because I chose to try the worst quality printing they offered, which I think probably correlated to some sloppy work putting the book together.

On the other hand for the worst quality printing I only paid $16 shipped for two copies, and I did like the look and feel of it a lot more than a glossy photobook.

Was this a just-for-fun book? I started trying to price out options for a small photo book project and it seemed like a possibility, but I was a little worried about what the low-end trade book options actually looked like. I guess I should just start by ordering on the lowest reasonable level and inch up in specs until it looks like something someone would actually pay for as a visually appealing item.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback on Blurb. It's definitely what I'm going to check out first. I mainly need something with good bright colors that I can do at a fairly low price point. The photos are all natural light iPhone photos like this one (I'm going to crop/edit to make it punchier but you get the idea).

A few fruit faces on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

This is basically me since March or so. I mostly liked traveling to new cities and taking pictures around the area, which naturally hasn't been an option since quarantine started. But staying home so much has also killed any motivation I would've otherwise had to go out shooting.

I live about an hour from San Francisco, and the past few months would've been the perfect time to take advantage of the reduced traffic to go around the city and get all the shots I've wanted to try, but the psychological weight of being told to limit travel as much as possible has had a profound impact on my motivation.

Bay Area goon checking in, and yeah, this is pretty much how I feel. I'd have to think back but I'm pretty sure I haven't been 20 miles from my house since this started. I mostly shoot nature but I've done it almost entirely in the regional park right by my house. It's gotten to the point where my car battery crapped out because I haven't been driving my car enough.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
tl:dr Lightroom catalog/folder request for help

I kind of forgot exactly how finicky Lightroom is about it's catalogs.

I had my photos for several large catalogs on an external HD. Photos for each catalog are in a single folder with folder structure underneath that is super important for me ever hoping to find anything.

The catalogs were on my internal drive, and were big enough in themselves that it was cramping the internal HD on my laptop. I had to clear space to upgrade my OS, I ended up moving the catalogs (just using the finder) off of my computer.

For one of the catalogs, I moved the catalog and the photos both onto a new external SSD. I launched the catalog, and it seemed to find all the photos but it is completely ignoring the folder structure so it's like 40k photos just mashed together. Is there any way force it to use the sub-folders to organize the catalog? Under the Library/Folders pane it doesn't even show the top folder, let alone the sub or sub-sub folders.

If I can't fix this where the catalog is currently stationed, I'm assuming I'll have to start by moving the catalogs back to the internal HD where they were originally and then point to the photo folder on the external SSD. But then I'm not sure how to move the actual catalog without encountering this same problem. I really like the idea of having the photos and catalog together on a single fast drive.

Another option would be to put the catalogs back on the internal HD but delete all the previews (and stop generating them in the future) so they don't take up so much darn space. Is there any trick to this? To be honest I'm not sure what the previews are actually doing for me so maybe this is a better solution.

if it matters, this is Lightroom Classic, with catalogs made under osx 10.13 and with the upgrade I'm on 11.2

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just an idiot, fixed it now. I overlooked the old drive because it was grayed out but I was able to easy peasy tell it to find the photos in the new location.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This may be a weird question, but is there a recommended photo/media management system that falls somewhere between individual-user photo catalog and an enterprise level database. This would be for a non-profit with lots of member-submitted photos that they want to keep track of and pull for social media campaigns and the like.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dakana posted:

Do they happen to use Google? A Shared Drive wouldn't be terrible.

I'm not sure (full disclosure, I'm applying for a job and figuring this out might be one of the responsibilities of the position). Do you mean storing something like an Access database on a shared drive or NAS, or using the google Photos app and having a shared photo library? I don't have a lot of details, but I think they'll want make sure photo credits are always attached and be able to easily search by subject, location, photographer, month, rating, etc, and possibly have quick shortcuts for exporting for different media. Their website is Wordpress but I'm not sure they'd want a bazillion photos just stashed there. Metadata would be important.

Do any of the Lightroom equivalents allow multiple users to access a library? I guess I can look that up.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I had the Tamron G1 and it was good but I was happy to move up to the G2. There wasn't anything super specific I could point to (although I like the locking action of the G2), but there were days with the G1 where I had lower keeper rates than I expected focus wise and I couldn't point to a reason why. Then other days it would crush it. It also does better on a nice tripod/gimball head.

I returned the first g2 copy I got right away because it wasn't focusing right but the second one I've had now for 4 years I guess and it's been great.

I can't speak to the sigmas but either Tamron will get you in the game and the g1 is still an awesome value.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I use mostly DeNoise, and occasionally Sharpen or Gigapixel. They are pretty great, but I rarely need all three at once so I'm pretty happy to keep my apps separate. I just got a promo for free Topaz Photo AI as a current Topaz customer so I guess I'll download it because free but I'm kind of leery that it will somehow bork up my current apps.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seconding BayPhoto. You should be able to request a paper sample book if you want to see the paper options.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The rubber washer/gasket is failing on one of my Black Rapid screw-in thingies and I only see them selling the whole attachment screw-in thingy and not just the rubber part. I'm way beyond the 1-year warranty. Anyone ever found a good replacement for the rubber part or should I just buy a new fastener?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for this.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

really wanna know how much they paid Google to kill picasa

This and OSX Aperture

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

From one of the guys in the golf thread:

Edit: I was going to do the, "buy the best canon point and shoot" but is that the advice these days?

One option might be to get something like a t8i kit (or build your own with used body and lenses, the newer 18-50's and maybe a 55-250 would be plenty good for a first dip into real camera territory) , then rent something fun like a 70-300L or 100-400L for shots of the golfers doing their thing.

You can sell anything, but I guess it's worth noting that the return might be higher for more modern/expensive kit than I've suggested here.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cognac McCarthy posted:

On a similar note, does anyone know a photo sharing service that doesn't allow users to download images? We're going to try and keep photos of our kid off social media, so we thought we'd put them in a private album somewhere with a link we share with family, but the services I've looked at all allow anyone with the link to download whatever they can see directly, which will make it more likely that they'll end up on Facebook anyway. Obviously there's no stopping people from taking and posting screenshots, but my family is not that tech savvy.

Smugmug allows you to prevent downloads or enable/disable sales, although best to check if that’s true for all the tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

huhu posted:

Two random questions

1. If I can handhold a Nikon Z5 with a 100-400mm lens and get 1/1000s shutter speeds at F/11 and ISO 500, is there any reason to use a tripod besides slowing down on composition?

2. Does anyone else struggle with wide angle lenses? I'm out shooting landscape and I just got out my full frame 20mm lens, took one photo, said to my self "ok I've photographed the entire thing" and then switched back to my 24-120 and 100-400 lenses for the remainder of the photos.

3. I want to do a timelapse for like ~12 hours but the temperature is currently 82F. I'm guessing it's not the best to just leave my camera out in the sun with its black body for 8 hours? Google is giving me mixed answers.

Re: #1 , I’m kind of in the same boat and usually handhold my long zoom, but I grab a tripod for situations like when I know I’m going to be relatively stationary (e.g. photographing a roosting or nesting bird). If you’re waiting for a specific event but it might take minutes or hours to happen, it’s way nicer to have the shot composed and pre-focused and just trigger the shot when it’s ready. Other reasons: I know I want to play with slower shutter speeds, or when I’m out early or late and it’s not bright-rear end day and I might have to shoot below recommended shutter speeds.

If I’m hiking during the day but might want the arm relief, I’ll throw a monopod in my pack which is a good compromise.

Re: #2, I shoot most of my landscapes with a telephoto and if I shoot with a wide angle it’s usually with strong foreground elements. Tying in point #1, I just in TYOOL did my first landscape focus stacking.