Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

On a similar note, does anyone know a photo sharing service that doesn't allow users to download images? We're going to try and keep photos of our kid off social media, so we thought we'd put them in a private album somewhere with a link we share with family, but the services I've looked at all allow anyone with the link to download whatever they can see directly, which will make it more likely that they'll end up on Facebook anyway. Obviously there's no stopping people from taking and posting screenshots, but my family is not that tech savvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Rochallor posted:

If it's just family stuff and you're not concerned about sharing high-quality raws or whatever, Flickr has that option.

Oh neat, thanks. An opportunity to subtly fish for compliments on my other mediocre photos among my extended family, interesting.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I think spending a bunch of money on a camera with only one focal length is a bad move, if you don't like it you're stuck. I do think there's benefit to walking around all day with a single prime and being forced to stick to it. Being able to do that with multiple lengths on different days is good though, you'll find what you like.

I agree with all of this. I assumed I'd shoot pretty wide when I was first starting so I learned using a 23mm on my X-T2. Being stuck with that for a while taught me that I absolutely do not like shooting wide angle most of the time, and I was able to add lenses that I like using much more. If I hadn't been able to add lenses I might have given up on the hobby: no matter what you're shelling out a good amount of money and it might be discouraging if you hate the focal length of the camera

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

huhu posted:

2. Does anyone else struggle with wide angle lenses? I'm out shooting landscape and I just got out my full frame 20mm lens, took one photo, said to my self "ok I've photographed the entire thing" and then switched back to my 24-120 and 100-400 lenses for the remainder of the photos.

This is me, absolutely. I see plenty of cool wide angle photos posted but I generally can't get any I'm happy with. It's just part of finding your personal style.