Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

God back button focus is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm terrified of doing street because im terrified of confrontation in 2023

even taking this shot I was like "fuckfuckfuck"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What’s a good resource for learning about off camera strobes and flashes and how to meter for them?

Try Strobist
https://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Another Person posted:

So I've been dumping my pics on Instagram, just so if I need to show someone a pic I took I have a link. I'm not really interested in buying and hosting my own site, because costs. I know people hate the platform, but it's the easiest way for me to do it.

Are there any tips for preserving image quality when uploading? I've found it won't accept Really Large jpegs, like 100% quality ones. I get that. But I find that some of them look fine on my PC end when spat out at 77%, but when dumped onto there they suffer a noticeable drop in quality.

What do you guys do?

https://patkay.com/blogs/pk/instagram-export-settings-lightroom

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I routinely gently caress up the tighten/loosen direction on my D500 battery grip

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm absolutely in the conspiracy theory camp that Adobe pays Affinity a yearly stipend to not produce a LR Clone.

Lightroom is really really really good though (and worth the money imo) 10$/month isn't much for something that you're going to be using for X hours a month. The stuff they've added to it the last 16 months is pretty amazing and worth the price imo.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

If you're taking photos once or twice a year you likely don't need a full blown lightroom solution!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s your current gear, and is going FF something you’re doing because you’re doing photography that has gone beyond the limits of what your gear can do, or is it (a fairly common) itch to go to something bigger and better with the hopes that it’s the difference to putting out better work?

I take it this is referring to the newer LR software that was essentially built from scratch, as opposed to the one dubbed ‘Lightroom Classic’ which is where I’ve spent all my time. Are the changes enough to convince people who really didn’t like the new software when it was first launched? Always willing to give things a new try, and I’m going to be starting a fresh library when I’ve had time to move storage over to a different computer anyway.

I remember it being very ‘we want you to work out of the cloud’, where I’m the complete opposite and certainly don’t want to be paying them for extra storage.

Others touched on it - but yeah, the stuff they've added to both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic is pretty incredible.

I use a lot of these in my day-to-day effort in trying to get 40 or so likes on an instagram post (half kidding)

AI Denoise - Fantastic for my concert work, less great on wildlife (Topaz Denoise is still top for me for wildlife/birding)

Better masking options, auto selecting subjects, skies, even certain parts on people (eyes, mouth, etc etc)

Preset amount slider (so if you have a preset but want to dial it back a little bit, you can)

Point Colour & Curve adjustments within just the selected mask

Content aware removal right in Lightroom itself (no more going into Photoshop unless you want to use their AI Generative removal stuff (which is admittingly very good)

Lots and lots and lots to like about the progress on Lightroom the last year or so.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Booked a gig for a stand up event this Friday at a micro brewery taphouse.

Anyone have any tips or starter guides on how to shoot stand up based portraits?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

blue squares posted:

Are you looking for composition tips, gear suggestions, etc? I'd start with a search on Google and/or Flickr for "stand up comedian" and just start saving photos that you think work well. Once you have a bunch, examine why you liked them, find some common themes/lighting choices/angles and then write those down somewhere so that during the shoot you have them as a reference. Also, maybe you tell each comedian why you are there so that they aren't thrown off

Hell yeah - exactly what I was looking for. I'll be meeting everyone on the bill before hand and I actually booked it with the MC so I think everyone will be clear on intent and everything like that. I'll dive into the googler a little bit later

jarlywarly posted:

Are you shooting them as they perform? Gigs tend to be dark and you often cannot use flash which means a fast lens and decent low light performance are needed.

Thankfully my current hobby is Concert Photography so I've got a 35mm f1.8 and a 24-70 f.28 I can use throughout. Phew

torgeaux posted:

If you can get permission, having a remote flash would be ideal.

I just got one of thems for Christmas that'd be sweet if I could figure out where to put it that doesn't immediately flash their eyeballs. Much to think about!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

I’m sure a variation of this has been asked in here many times. I apologize if it’s redundant. I do a lot of volunteer photography for my kids’ school district and I want to build a website to host photos for people to download highish resolution for free.

Where are the alternatives to Google photos and dropbox? Dropbox doesn’t have a nice viewing interface and Google photos is unnecessarily complicated to download full resolution from what I’ve heard from some parents.

Pixieset is a good hosting/viewing option with Lightroom integration. There's a free tier where you can churn out collections.

Password Protection and Download PIN and Analytics on there -- you can even hook it up to a print service and have on-demand printing.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

A couple things from the concert side come to mind:

Try out a 24-70 F2.8 or a 1.8 prime in your favourite focal distance. Lets more light in (meaning you can lower your ISO), have more separation from the subject to your background (more dynamic photos)

Have you experimented with shutter drag?

You can also go wider and move to the back, tell the story of the whole venue. Audiences are part of the story too.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Shannow posted:

By shutter drag do you mean longer exposure with flash on top? If so then yes, results have been inconsistent on the stage, but that's how i do most of my other shots in the venue, ie performers sometimes approach the stage coming through the crowd rather than the doorway right beside the stage, where i switch to ceiling bounce and shutter speed about /40th.

I mean going even slower - I'll post a few examples of what I mean:

26mm (on crop) 1/3 f3.5 ISO 400

24mm (on crop) 1/4 f4 ISO 800

24mm (on crop) 1/10 f4 ISO 400

Front Curtain flash freezes the subject then you can quickly move your camera body when the shutter is active and create light trails -- or you can leave the camera stationary and have the performer move and it shows a bit of dynamic movement.
It came to mind when I saw those light up hoola hoops. If you don't like the result, that's totally cool; its a little bit dated in the concert world but I find it more fun and rewarding than standard performer + flash without shutter dragging.

side note: Did you play a lot of MW2 on PC when it first came out? Your name feels familiar.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Shannow posted:

A long time ago when i used to shoot live bands that is in fact how i used to do it (though admittedly less well than that), it's not the vibe my regular gig is looking for though

Side Note: yes, yes indeed, i think im stil part of that goon mw2 group

Ahhh yeah, that's a tough one then yeah. It's hard to work in tight quarters with restrictions on expression and stuff like that. Shame.

Side notes continued: That's wild, I was part of that group for a while, those days were a blast. Duncan breaking the game with ease. Good to see ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

huhu posted:

1. If I can handhold a Nikon Z5 with a 100-400mm lens and get 1/1000s shutter speeds at F/11 and ISO 500, is there any reason to use a tripod besides slowing down on composition?

Ergonomics on shoots where you're stationary - the local Osprey foamers all have tripods when they wait around for the Ospreys to come fish in front of them.

If you splay out the legs real far, it can provide a nice low-to-ground platform so you sit, rather than lay down and kill your shoulders/neck while shoot low wildlife:

Outside of that, I barely use my tripod (Ironically I use it the most for my laser level for hanging things on the wall)