Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
So I sporadically played with film for years, never needed to scan or organize anything on a computer, so I'm not used to any particular program. Now I have a DSLR, should I give up my soul and subscribe to Lightroom or is there a recommendation for people who aren't already tainted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

Public spaces like parks typically require a permit for any photography, especially if you’re jumping out the bushes and with a strobe like some sort of weirdo who is tone-deaf to social cues

Also taking photos of people in public and being really standoffish about the intended use of the photos is a great way to get punched in the face

Do what you will with this information

I don't know where you are but in the US, they can say whatever they want but it won't hold up.

ACLU posted:

Taking photographs and video of things that are plainly visible in public spaces is a constitutional right
https://www.aclu.org/issues/free-speech/photographers-rights

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I don't really think I've ever known anyone with more than a point and shoot at any time in my life :shrug:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
My kid is in a language immersion program and the class has its own separate yearbook. I've tentatively volunteered to do yearbook pictures of all the students on the basis that the school yearbook pictures were awful and I couldn't do much worse. Besides camera, lens, tripod, are there any other bare essentials I need? I was thinking of doing it outdoors against a blank wall with natural light

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Stop buying off eBay and buy from someplace like keh, or be ready to deal with issues, ime. I've only bought one used camera from a shop and I got very lucky but in general I think small business owners are less trustworthy than the average eBay seller :shrug:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Does your speed light have a pre flash?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Iirc, the starbursts are caused by diffraction from stopping down the lens. So I'd guess opening up the aperture would reduce them. They're cool though

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What are my options for an (economical) photographer's website that includes a blog?

I currently have one that uses the free Adobe Portfolio thing that comes bundled with the photographer version of CC which I'm otherwise happy with, however there is no blog or way to add one (I could link to one hosted externally, but that's messy).

Quotin' this because I think it might be useful for me in the near future as well :shobon:

Squarespace lets you create a great portfolio website with no coding knowledge necessary and has award winning 24/7 customer supp-- oh no they've gotten in my head

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Gotta love photographers' definition of cheap being over a thousand dollars

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Godzilla07 posted:

Olympus E-M1 Mk2 would be my crop sensor pick if you had to go mirrorless on a budget because the glass is cheaper, there's no hipster tax like there is with Fuji, and the ergonomics aren't a nightmare like with the Sony APS-C bodies.

That being said, the real bargains are in DSLR land as everyone dumps their DSLR gear in the mirrorless transition.

Got my kid an Olympus EM-5 II and it's a real nice cheap camera other than the fact that I don't think I will ever be able to use an EVF

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
gently caress off hadlock

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

blue squares posted:

print out your photos and get a glue stick and some scissors

Then head down to Kinkos

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol I'm the opposite, portrait photography I find completely uninteresting. I can appreciate when it's done well but I have no desire to do it or seek out the work of others doing it.

Now a chair against a paint peeling wall with some shadow on it? :eyepop:

Same except I can't really appreciate it when it's (supposedly) done well. It's usually "yep, that's an attractive person that you took a picture of"

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm gonna go the opposite direction and say that forcing yourself to use one lens is great for a photographer who has the basics and is looking to hone their craft. But when you're in Japan for the first time, trying to take a photo of the cool mountain in the distance, and all you have is a wide angle lens, you're going to either take a disappointing picture or end up pulling out your phone.

My take is a decent micro four thirds body and something like the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO that will cover a 24-200 full frame equivalent

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

The cameras with a fixed ~40mm are a lot more reasonable than the wider ones IMO. I like that Ricoh does both for the GR line. If someone did a dedicated 50 fixed pocket cam I'd be tempted.

There are wide and long adapaters for the Fuji X100 line, but I've never really heard any real impressions about their quality.

General Photography Questions 4 - Instead of the X100VI consider the Olympus 35SP

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah this doesn't really square with my utter lack of work ethic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

On a related note, how do the speedbooster adapters work? I get how they reduce the magnification, but how do they increase the light intake and aperture of the lens you put on them?

I could be totally wrong but uhh... here's what I think?

Aperture is a ratio of the focal length to the physical aperture size in millimeters, right? And speed boosters effectively decrease the focal length. So a 50mm lens with a 25mm aperture is f/2. If you put a .7x speedbooster on, your focal length goes to 35mm and your 25mm aperture goes to f/1.4.