Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yep, the OG from 2008

2005. 5D2 came in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

blue squares posted:

Just tell an AI to add the effects to your photo afterward :mrgw:

Not sure if the issue is with dall-e 3 or my description

quote:

a 1.5 second long exposure of a white ball on a black background, moving left to right. the ball is exposed to two lights, both coming from the direction of the camera. the first light increases in brightness as the ball approaches the middle leaving a motion blur, then the lgith decreases as it goes away from the center, leaving a second motion blur on the right that gets dimmer as it moves. the second light is a bright flash when the ball is at the center of the exposure

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
gently caress off hadlock

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
poo poo. Why are lens hoods so expensive? Accidentally dropped mine off a cliff and the "Nikon HB-103 Lens Hood" is looking like $70 to replace.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

huhu posted:

poo poo. Why are lens hoods so expensive? Accidentally dropped mine off a cliff and the "Nikon HB-103 Lens Hood" is looking like $70 to replace.

I got Chinese knockoffs for a couple of my lenses and they're the same thing for cheap, had good luck with JJC stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah for hoods, lens caps, body caps, essentially disposable stuff like that, just get the cheapest thing you can find on Amazon

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seconding JJC, I got one recently and the fitment and finish is surprisingly good for a cheap clone.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is less a technical question and more a creative questions but how do you guys decide to actually take photographs? Do you take your cameras just out with you anytime you go out and hope for inspiration or do you research and make plans to go and do certain subjects? I feel like I’m struggling on having inspiration

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is less a technical question and more a creative questions but how do you guys decide to actually take photographs? Do you take your cameras just out with you anytime you go out and hope for inspiration or do you research and make plans to go and do certain subjects? I feel like I’m struggling on having inspiration

I generally have a camera on me at all times. I also hang out with other photographers a lot and do walks, or plan trips with other tog friends.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I look for areas when I am out normally and see what catches my fancy and then go back for dedicated trips later to be slow & meticulous about it. Also have a few places that I haunt regularly and go back to for pleasure walks but also take my camera when I go.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I keep that thang on me

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I look outside and if the weather is nice I'll pick a destination and just go.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I hate layout stuff. Is there some tool to make a beautiful portfolio in some paper size like A4. I need a photo portfolio with some text in A4 size and I don't want to fight the UI of a stupid program like Word or something like that. Thanks. Optimally I'd just drag the photo around and it stays where I place it. Same with text.

Or do I need to use some real program like Affinity Publisher or Illustrator to get freedome like that?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 3, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I also have a camera on me at all times, and it's usually a p&s.
If I'm going Somewhere - a cottage, a road trip, my parents house an hour away, etc - I'd bring along one of my heavy duty cameras.

If I have the p&s and see something that would benefit from beeing seen by a larger/different format, I'll note down the location and go back to it, if possible.
From there it's just steeping in the environment, when I get the chance, and keeping my eyes and mind open.

Sometimes it's a photo centric walk/trip, and that makes it easy to focus.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

I hate layout stuff. Is there some tool to make a beautiful portfolio in some paper size like A4. I need a photo portfolio with some text in A4 size and I don't want to fight the UI of a stupid program like Word or something like that. Thanks. Optimally I'd just drag the photo around and it stays where I place it. Same with text.

Or do I need to use some real program like Affinity Publisher or Illustrator to get freedome like that?

Yea Publisher/InDesign are the types of programs that make that work easy (as long as you're past the learning curve)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just cart my 5D around everywhere. I get analysis paralysis if I have too many cameras to choose from, and then I dont shoot anything because a different camera can always capture it in a different way.

I've discovered recently that simplicity is key for me to actually take photos. I've got my 5D, a couple lenses, my phone and thats it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Ihmemies posted:

Word is stupid and bad, but you can absolutely use it for this. You can add images the normal way and then choose "Behind Text" and "Fix Position on Page" to stop Word from doing the insane image & text movement stuff. And you can use textboxes with the same layout choices to create stationary text.

The easiest way to do it IIRC is to make a text box and an image with the correct layout, and then just copy and paste those every time you need one so you only have to change the image/text and not all the settings every time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

print out your photos and get a glue stick and some scissors

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

blue squares posted:

print out your photos and get a glue stick and some scissors

Then head down to Kinkos

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bobmarleysghost posted:

Yea Publisher/InDesign are the types of programs that make that work easy (as long as you're past the learning curve)

Thanks. I actually found out that I've bought Affinity Publisher for a pittance back in the day. I didn't even remember I had it installed, well my memory is like goldfish's after all.

I spent a few hours tinkering with it and got a very nice result in the end. It is so nice when an element you place on screen STAYS there and doesn't randomly move or gently caress around. Also resizing and cropping photos etc. was super easy.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

yea I use Publisher when I do layouts, it's very intuitive and easy to use, imo.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Always
Be
Camera-ing

Time is my constraint now so I start with a block of time that I have free, or if I am running errands and have some wiggle room I will make sure to bring my camera. Then it's either exploring new spots or revisiting places that have changed.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Powerpoint :v:

You can set a custom slide size to whatever you want, and it has much better layout tools than Word.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Flood your brain with other people's works. The more photos you look at, the more opportunities you'll see. Our brains are pattern sponges and we recognize more patterns when we train with input.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I felt the rollover of the "10,000 hours" this past year. Something drastically changed in how I take photos and I could feel it as it was happening.

This goes off the theory that it takes roughly 10k hours to "master" a skill. The skill being modern digital camera use and post editing. According to that theory it's like 9 years of doing something five days a week. Well that's not equivalent to my timeline. It was more like ten years of very minimal involvement, 4-5 years of 4-5 days a week involvement. And the past two years of 7 days per week involvement.

This year particularly. I have roughly 3TB of photos stored dating back to 2013 in my raid. 1.5TB of that has been this year alone. It's all I do, all day every day. And I don't have clients, I just shoot for myself.

The thing that I "felt" change with me this year is that I feel wherever I am and whatever I'm doing, I can "make" a photo happen, as opposed to looking for opportunities. Opportunities pop up all the time as well, but if I picture in my head, "okay I want a shot that resembles ____ photographer and in this style", I'm confident that I can make a photo happen that resembles it. I can picture in my head all the settings that will need to be dialed in a certain way to make it work and my hands are already adjusting without me thinking about it.

Whereas just two years ago I would go out looking for certain variables to be correct and hope that I come away with at least one keeper any time I go out. Now I typically come home with more than I ever end up editing. And I know in a couple years I'll look back on those photos and think they are subpar, but that's the fun part, always growing.

That was a drastic shift in how I shoot. One thing that has helped that is I've limited myself to one camera and one lens, for the most part. So I know this combination inside and out. I feel it as an extension of myself. If I were to switch to shooting film I'd fall well below that "master" skill. But for what I'm good at shooting in digital, and how I'm editing in post, I know I've crossed that 10,000 hour mark.

My recommendation aside from just flooding yourself with other people's images as inspiration, is to just shoot. Just always shoot. Stop looking for the "one", special photo and take photos of all sorts of stuff. And review them all and ponder whether they work or not and why. Train your brain on all sorts of data. "This photo that I randomly took of an alley is okay, but it would look better if it was at sunrise." You'll remember those words in the future.

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 5, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I wanted to say I took all your advice, also dug down into the deeper settings on my cell phone camera and my pictures have improved a lot.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I kinda find non-people stuff kinda dull to do, sort of been there done that, so I just arrange stuff with randoms from the internet. usually works out lol

although am tempted one day to get a smaller p&s and keep it on me but mostly out of a sense of maybe i’ll capture something unique. some people can enjoy a good photo of something boring like a door and tbh I am happy for them but I’d need it to be something like a crashed ufo or a tree that looks like it’s having sex

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 5, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol I'm the opposite, portrait photography I find completely uninteresting. I can appreciate when it's done well but I have no desire to do it or seek out the work of others doing it.

Now a chair against a paint peeling wall with some shadow on it? :eyepop:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol I'm the opposite, portrait photography I find completely uninteresting. I can appreciate when it's done well but I have no desire to do it or seek out the work of others doing it.

Awww yeah, peeling paint & chairs. You know what's up.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Mega Comrade posted:

Same except I can't really appreciate it when it's (supposedly) done well. It's usually "yep, that's an attractive person that you took a picture of"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s fun

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hoping this is the right thread to ask this, but i'm having a weird issue.

Few months ago upgraded to a second hand v low shutter count 5dMk4 from my long in the tooth Mk2, and for the most part, all is well, I do nightclub stuff mostly, and the extra usable ISO range is amazing, except when I go to do my regular and V lazy crowd shot of whatever venue I'm in and

High ISO, cranking exposure up a lil, and maxing the clarity on Lightroom. This is cropped in a lil, the pattern is completely symmetrical

I used to do this exact same thing with my Mk2 (admittedly on a lower ISO) but never really noticed much beyond a bit of noise in the shadows. What's worse is in the develop window in Lightroom this is loving INVISIBLE and I only caught it after a venue i work in had uploaded a batch to their facebook. It will be visible in develop if i zoom right in, and its visible in Library view if i zoom in and then zoom back out till it fits the screen.
In-camera high iso reduction seems to have no effect, Lightroom's own image enhancement feature absolutely slaps it down to nothing, but that requires creating another DNG.

Heres a vid of what this looks like in LR with a pic of my couch.
vid

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I may be wrong but I think that's the vignetting correction going bonkers?

Edit: Distortion correction, that's the one!

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 7, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it's probably the lens correction.

eg: https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/83463/night-photography-moire-nikon-d810/85088#85088

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

RillAkBea posted:

I may be wrong but I think that's the vignetting correction going bonkers?

Edit: Distortion correction, that's the one!

Interesting! That seems to be part of it, if i turn distortion off, it flattens out the pattern entirely, but its still putting a ton of white pixels in the black areas making them solarize out. What's odd here is its the very same lens as on the previous camera and the exact same settings

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To me that looks more like thermal signal or sensor bias. But I'm probably wrong on the specifics because to my understanding those types of noise don't show up as a random blob.. they sit at the edge of the image or produce a grid pattern. But it looks like something in that territory.

But I guess the base lesson is that you're pushing the exposure too far for that sensor. If you're using LR, does the AI denoise feature fix it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats the recommended way to clean a sensor (Canon 5D MK1 if it matters)? I have a couple of dust spots on mine that really stick out once I noticed them

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Start with a bulb blower then take it from there

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jarlywarly posted:

Start with a bulb blower then take it from there

Empty quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi