Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

life is killing me posted:

Had this happen twice at two different neighborhoods, nevermind the fact I was dressed professionally and had on a name tag identifying myself.

Well, it's not like perverts can't buy nice clothes and name tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Is there anything obviously wrong with Amazon Drive's free photo storage that comes with Prime? I've just been blindly uploading my raw files there so that when I never actually look at them again I know they're there. Then I import into Lightroom as DNG and feel free to delete liberally.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sri.Theo posted:

I guess metric is the wrong term then, but wouldn't it be possible to express f/n as a diameter in millimetres? And fractions of a second in decimals? Would it really take up that much room on a dial?

The f in the numerator is the focal length of the lens (n=f/d). So, yes, you could have users input the diameter of the opening in millimeters, but then you're doing the calculation in your head for what lens you have, when all you really want to know is the ratio between the focal length and diameter of the opening.

I suppose you could express shutter speed in decimal instead of fractions, but I also don't see a particularly compelling reason to try.

tk fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 30, 2016

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

Okay so I know how to see this either on the camera or on a computer, but I'm not sure how to get this to you; will the data survive an upload to IMGUR? Or should I just type it up? Or I can just post dropbox links?

Sorry, I'm dumb.
Flickr is most commonly used around these parts. Dropbox would probably work, but I believe imgur strips exif data.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Harvey Baldman posted:

Long shot, but figured I'd ask this particular cabal of goons if anyone had any ideas on this.

In the new Blade Runner movie, one of the props that appears for like twenty seconds on screen is a portable Voight-Kampff machine, which is used to identify Replicants from Humans. I'm trying to build one, and I started by doing some 3D modelling of the thing...

... but I can't help but feel like this is based on a real digital camera, at least in part, and I'd love to figure out what. I did a few hours of blind googling for "thin digital camera" which resulted in absolute garbage. Some more images of the camera that I have been able to collect are below.

I fully expect the side-bit that pops out to be custom made, but I feel like the body of that thing is probably a discernible camera base. Anyone got any ideas? I'll probably still make a 3D model of it, but having the body of the camera for reference and scale would be nice.

The battery bulge in the back is somewhat similar to a Lumia 1020 camera grip / battery case, but agreed that it looks more like a (mini)cassette recorder than anything. Three buttons on the side and you can see the outline where cassette door would be.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I love the cloud sync stuff in Lightroom. It's great to do some quick review and basic cropping on my iPad from the comfort of my couch. Then I head back to my desktop for real developing. I also sync to my phone and look at the pictures that I want to post to Facebook/Instagram for final review because I figure that's how most people are going to see them anyways.

I really don't think I understand what the purpose of the desktop Lightroom CC client is though. The cloud sync stuff in Lightroom Classic works perfectly fine.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

New Cloud is everything stored in the cloud, all the time. Even your RAW files. You need the new apps to access that stuff I believe.

Old Cloud is it only uploads what you tell it to and you can only sync a single catalog.

Sure, I get what it does. I just don’t understand why they chose to do it via a separate piece of software instead of something like an import to cloud or cloud catalog feature in the existing Lightroom. I feel like I’m almost the target audience for this kind of thing (already use cloud sync frequently, no bandwidth constraints while at home). But I don’t want to give up my full featured editing when on desktop (no tone curves is bizarre, especially considering the iOS version already has that), and I’m not paying an extra $10/month to get a reasonable amount of storage while maintaining access to a Classic.

I suppose it’s possible that they feel like they need to move away from a legacy code base and plan to bring CC up to speed feature wise. I don’t trust Adobe to do that before they deprecate Classic though. I also don’t trust them to completely manage/store my files (love the convenience of cloud sync, but I also want to maintain full offline/local access).

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

What is with people asking "Can you give me the raws I want to edit them myself"? I've had a couple of people ask me that and it's just incredibly off-putting.

We got raws for our wedding pictures. Editing pictures is something we enjoy doing together as a hobby and being able to go through everything together was fantastic. The stuff the photographers edited was great and that’s what we posted online, but the raws are a goldmine of background expressions and reactions that would probably never make it to final edits. Most people aren’t going to care about the 10 different rapid fire shots of our first kiss that are mostly identical. For us, each one of those shots has somebody different in the background at just the right moment and every one is special to us.

My wedding pictures are my memories, and I want all of them. Good, bad, and ugly. The photographers asked us not to tag them on any shots they didn’t edit. And they deleted any raws they deemed unacceptable. But there are still a enough great-moment-but-a-bit-out-of-focus shots in there, and when we look back at them in 15 years it’s not going to matter to us.

Most photographers just politely declined when asked about raws, but a lot more than I thought were okay with providing them with various stipulations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

rio posted:

As for editing I don’t know if I would go along with that either. I would have to know the person pretty well to know how they were going to edit it, again mainly to do with other potential clients seeing pictures I took in a way that I wouldn’t want them to see. If they took it and busted all the sliders right off the monitor and dutch angled every shot 45 degrees with the crop tool I wouldn’t want any part of that and I have to assume that is how many people would choose to edit my raws if I gave them the opportunity.

We heard this a lot and I just can’t wrap my head around it. I totally understand not wanting your name to be associated with somebody else’s edits, but I can gently caress up a jpeg just as easily as I can gently caress up a raw.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

404notfound posted:

I think asking for raws implies that the client wants to gently caress with it though.

I put up a picture I took at a trendy Manhattan restaurant, and they reposted it. They gave me credit, but they didn't ask for permission, plus they cropped it and turned up the saturation and contrast on it :bang:

It's really not worth pursuing it, but it just brought to the front of my mind again the question of why people outside of a creative profession/hobby think it's okay to just gently caress with your stuff.

They’re going to gently caress with it anyways. When you post to Facebook, Instagram, et al, there’s steps in the process that essentially encourage you to gently caress with the picture.

In this example, my guess is they took a screenshot of your post, reposted it with the default square Instagram crop, and hit one of the filters. That’s just how people post to stuff. The crop blows. The filter sucks too, but it’s not going to impact people’s viewing of the picture nearly as much as the myriad of screen/lighting conditions that people look at Instagram on.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

um excuse me posted:

I really can't find a better thread to stick this question. The wedding thread is archived. I'm getting married at the end of fall. I've hired a photog for the big day but now the fiance wants a videographer as well. Shes showing me examples and either they're not good or my expectations are way too high. Well rated videographers with bad white balancing, poor panning, slowmo 29.97fps stuff, camera flashes, artificial lens flares. I'm getting tired of looking. The budget is between $1000-2000. Does videography pricing not scale the way photographers do? I know everything about videography is expensive but I have no basis for comparison. The only acceptable videography I've seen comes from a national outfit charging around $2500 for the wedding and a few hours of reception. How do I pick a videographer?

There’s a big wedding thread in Ask/Tell that may be able to help out.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

What’s my best bet for basic post while travelling?
I have an a7iii and an iPad. How do I get from camera to iPad? Can iPad deal with raws at all?
I assume Lightroom for iPad is about as good as I can do? Tbh if I can crop and tweak exposure/contrast I’ll probably be happy enough.

I use an sd->lightning adapter to import pictures onto the iPad then into Lightroom CC. The two stage import process is annoying, but once you get stuff into Lightroom it’s pretty full featured.

If all you want to do is a basic crop and simple lighting the editing tools built into Photos may be good enough.

tk fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 25, 2018

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

some_admin posted:

If you guys are into this stuff, I can start a thread.

Yes, please.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Easychair Bootson posted:

My dad wants to put together a physical book of prints to give to my mom. There are several vendors who do this. Any advice on those who have easy-to-use design interfaces? That's more important than image quality. I think he said he's done it via Apple before, but apparently they don't offer whatever he used anymore.

My mom is always doing books and stuff with Shutterfly. I haven’t used it, but she’s never asked me for help so I assume it’s easy enough.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I primarily use Lightroom CC. Does everything that I need plus it keeps all my poo poo in sync everywhere.

The only thing I really miss from classic is full edit history.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nitramster posted:

I'm taking my a6000 with a 20f18 35f18 and the kit 18-55 to the Sequoia's this weekend. Any tips for shooting in the forest? How do I get cool sun streaks through the trees? (I'm a n00b)

Sunbeams? You’re going to have to see them to be able to shoot them. I would look for direct sunlight and some mist/fog/smoke in the air. Early morning or early evening, when the sun is low.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Schneider Heim posted:

Like boy that was stressful. Why make it difficult? (on a tangential note I hear that Blizzard is blocking people from deleting their accounts or whatnot)

Because you want to reduce their sweet sweet recurring services revenue. Why should they make it easy?

(imo should be illegal to run any type of subscription service without one click unsubscribe functionality)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I would not trust a company that I had no prior relationship with to hold that much of my cash.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pondex posted:

Is there any photo-app that can invert colors easily? I wan't to get a sense of my negatives without having to do contact-prints all the time.

You can do it in IOS but it's like 5 clicks deep in the settings.
Assuming you’re talking about the iOS invert colors option, you can use the accessibility shortcut to set it up to toggle that on triple click of the home button.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
As long as you’re using Lightroom Classic it’s not the cloud/mobile version that you’re scared of.

They keep updating classic but the new version gets most of the attention.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
You can honestly get away with using a few freeware utilities.

First get your hard drive ready and copy all your pictures there. Don’t worry about their organization, just throw them on there.

Then use something like https://dupeguru.voltaicideas.net to remove all the dupes.

Finally something like https://www.advancedrenamer.com to rename + move all the remaining files into their final destination based on whatever metadata. (Grab metadata from EXIF tool: https://www.advancedrenamer.com/user_guide/exiftool)

Should leave you with a nicely organized set of photos that you can browse through and edit using whatever free editing software does what you need to do.

I haven’t used any of these things and I imagine it will be some work to get everything done properly.

tk fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 20, 2020

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ethics_Gradient posted:

This is pretty goony, but I've found it really useful to practice with the screenshot mode in a lot of modern video games - being able to have a moment frozen where I can try out different perspectives, height, focal length, etc gives me time to consider what works, what doesn't, etc in a low-stress environment.

You can do this with Google earth (or maybe flight sim these days?) to semi plan out IRL photos. Anything with sufficient detail you can really play around with composition then fiddle with the time to figure out exactly when in the fall that perfect light is going to hit your clock tower.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tortilla Maker posted:

What are some good stocking stuffer ideas for someone who shoots entirely in digital?

If they shot analog, I'd include a few rolls of film, but that's not an option here. Maybe just some microfiber cloths for lens cleaning? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I’d buy them whatever size/price appropriate photo book you can find.

You would think I would have enough lens pens, microfiber clothes, sd cards, and lens caps, but I guess they’re getting lost in the laundry or something and I would genuinely appreciate an extra.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Similar vein:

Is flickr worth it? Like if I want to send a link to my account to, say, a soapmaking company and say "here's my product photography portfolio, gimme dollars" is flickr good for that, is there an alternative, or should I bite the bullet and go with one of those website builders like square space even though I've never done a website thing?

Look at something like smugmug or zenfolio.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's a good photo printing service? NYTimes recommended "Nations Photo Lab": https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-online-photo-printing/
PC Mag recommended MPix: https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/mpix

It's frustratingly hard to find a shop that does custom pano sizes. Target does, but I wonder about its quality? I need exactly 6x15.

WHCC says they do custom sizes:

https://www.whcc.com/products/photographic-prints/

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cerious posted:

Anyone have print services they recommend for some medium sized prints? I liked the stuff I got out of Mpix but I saw that Bayphoto looks a little cheaper for some larger prints that I'd like to do (some 8x10s or 11x14s, a couple 16x20s or maybe 20x24s, a 3:1 pano print or two) and has some nice Fuji paper selections that are a little mystifying to me for their basic photo prints... not sure any of those fine art papers are actually worth it for just hanging around home.
Paper makes a pretty decent difference, even hanging on the wall. It's not a question of whether or not it's worth it to get a fine part paper, it's a question of whether or not you want to put in the time to decide which of the papers (fine art or not) is right for your situation.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Thoren posted:

Is it safe to store a little point-and-shoot with lens fungus in my dry cabinet?

Also, think it's worth getting fixed/cleaned? This Fuji X70 is from 2016 and cost me about $250.

edit: Sorry, should have posted this in the gear thread.

If it’s actually dry the fungus shouldn’t do much. It’d weird me out too much to not clean it though.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megabound posted:

I mean, by the time the flash goes off it's already to late for them to react to it, so if that's the purpose of street then it's still upheld.

This is triggering Christmas picture flashbacks.

“Did we get it that time?”

“Can we try again I think I blinked?!”

“Wait we need another one without the fan cord hanging from the top.”

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megabound posted:

Go out and take good photos, people won't care, if someone does they'll ask you to delete it and that's when you get to decide if you're an rear end in a top hat or not.

Pushing it on other people to tell you that they care about something is being an rear end in a top hat. Most people don't like confrontation to begin with, and you're even more unapproachable when you've demonstrated that you're willing to flagrantly violate social norms.

I have a hard time believing you can get the mileage you want out of being an rear end in a top hat if you're not going to own it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Brrrmph posted:

Question I should know the answer to: Does under exposing at high ISOs make the noise shittier when bringing the photo to the proper exposure versus shooting with the correct exposure at high ISOs in the first place?

Shooting RAW.

“ISO Invariance” is the term you want to research

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megabound posted:

Has anyone ever taken your photo before or are you just that delicate of constitution that any time someone takes a photo of you you need someone to rush over with smelling salts?

Is ignoring where people are coming from you being an artist or just you being an rear end in a top hat?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Having a home printer was, for me, much better for learning than shipping out for prints. Even a low grade inkjet will print a good 4x6.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Havana Affair posted:

100% and the ui is horrendous. Can't find it now but on some photography blog there was an interview of the main developer and they basically said that there's 5 modules (tools) that can handle 99% of editing any photo but for some reason they have 50 and lot of them overlap. Why not hide the extra 45 modules behind some menu? No idea.

Without any context here: you can do a whole lot of your editing with curves, but exposure/contrast/highlights/shadows/etc. are usually easier to deal with. Now you have 5 tools doing the work that 1 could do.

Repeat that a few times and it seems reasonable that you could do most of the image editing with a small amount of code. But then you have to build the user interface to make it possible for people to use. And that’s something that’s real easy to fuckup.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DanTheFryingPan posted:

photographers just like to complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I think “bazooka” is the search term you’re looking for.