Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Looking for modern films (post-1970) set in cities and featuring people basically being alienated from society, their loved ones, or being miserable in some other way.

e: I'd like the city to really have its own personality rather than being some nondescript backdrop

-Is Eraserhead too obvious? Also Inland Empire
-Peter Greenaway's The Belly Of An Architect (City: Rome)
-Most Wong Kar-wai, in particular As Tears Go By, Days Of Being Wild, Fallen Angels, Happy Together, and In The Mood For Love (City: Hong Kong, Happy Together is in Buenos Aires though)
-Abbas Kiarostami's Like Someone In Love (City: Tokyo)
-All Tsai Ming-liang, start with Rebels Of The Neon God (City: Taipei)
-Most Edward Yang, in particular The Terrorizers, Taipei Story, and Mahjong (City: Taipei)
-Chantal Akerman's News From Home (City: New York)
-Pedro Costa's Fontainhas movies, Ossos, In Vanda's Room, and Colossal Youth (City: Lisbon)
-Most Jacques Rivette, in particular Paris Belongs To Us, Out 1, and Le Pont Du Nord (City: Paris)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Even though it's more of the same, definitely check out Abel Ferrara's Body Snatchers adaptation if you haven't, one of his best. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but The Stuff also owns

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Teflon Don posted:

I'm looking for any films featuring conflict between a father/male figure and a wayward son/brother, a la American History X

red river

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

SO my question is, what movies would you recommend that are visually dense and/or relay a lot of untold and bizarre visual information in a way that is similar to the shining? I'd also welcome any other distinctly "weird" movies or books on filmmaking/specific films that you think could be useful. (ps thank you)

blue velvet has already been mentioned but most other lynch, especially eraserhead and inland empire. eraserhead's influence on the shining can't really be overstated, imo, kubrick screened it for the cast and crew to "put them in the mood".

uhh my other recommendations would be german expressionism in general (too many to mention), jacques tati (playtime in particular), carnival of souls, eyes without a face, last year at marienbad, antonioni's "quartet" of l'avventura/la notte/l'eclisse/red desert, 8 1/2, persona, 3 women, the double life of veronique, safe, end of evangelion, in general anything by: andrei tarkovsky, david cronenberg, guy maddin, peter greenaway, julio medem, raul ruiz, and satoshi kon. idk there's lots more, this is barely scratching the surface but i want to keep it short

the "definitive" books on "weird"/cult cinema are midnight movies by j. hoberman and jonathan rosenbaum and film as a subversive art by amos vogel

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 29, 2016

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

rivetz posted:

This might be a stupid/worthless question because it ultimately just boils down to personal taste, but here goes: my kitchen sink faces away from the screen and I'm on the prowl for movies I haven't thought of that play well with audio-only. Court cases, arguments, or any stuff that's like broad character study(ies) primarily through dialogue. Maybe it's better described as low-action, high talky mainstream drama. I'm interested more in revisiting semi-"classics" i.e. crowd-pleasing mainstream stuff. Glengarry, Few Good Men, Spotlight are all recent listens I've enjoyed, repeat views where I'm familiar enough with the movie and the plot that I don't have to be watching but can still be entertained and get something good out of the script and the dialogue. Tarantino is of course always good (for me) for listening to good actors chewing on good evocative dialogue that communicates a character well.

Is this a stupid question because it comes down to whatever poo poo I personally enjoy? I feel like I'm missing some obvious films in a similar vein. No bad suggestions, what do you find fun to listen to?

anything written by ben hecht, charles lederer, billy wilder, jules furthman, william faulkner, or leigh brackett

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 18, 2016

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some of the best movies along the lines of the Lethal Weapon series, the Death Wish series, and Tango and Cash? I love those somewhat goofy action movies.

-you have gotten shamefully few recommendations for steven seagal. let me fix that: watch out for justice.
-anything starring seagal, van damme, chuck norris, dolph lundgren, stallone, idk like the whole cast of the expendables probably, all the stuff they did pre-dtv is great.
-most anything produced by the cannon group/golan globus.
-all other shane black (but most of the major ones have been mentioned already)
-you've already gotten some walter hill recs but the driver, and the warriors (if you somehow haven't seen it)
-most of the non-horror carpenters. they live, and escape from new york in particular.
-stuff directed by johnnie to, john mctiernan, peter hyams, tony scott, albert pyun, jaume collet-serra
-rolling thunder, point break, road house, stone cold, crank and high voltage, hell comes to frogtown, riki-oh

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 21, 2016

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

stranger than paradise, metropolitan, the unbelievable truth, kicking and screaming, the color wheel

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 10, 2017

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Oliver Reed posted:

I'm looking for parodies/satirical movies that are a bit more highbrow/intelligent than the endless stream of "X Movie" (Epic Movie, Date Movie, etc.) and Asylum titles (Transmorphers) plaguing the genre. Examples of what I like would be the mighty Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Woody Allen's Love and Death.

EDIT: I called Woody 'Wood'

rules of the game, ninotchka, sullivans travels, to be or not to be, monsieur verdoux, unfaithfully yours, kind hearts and coronets, metropolitan

all the zucker/abrahams/zucker movies basically up through the 90s are good but they're not exactly "high brow"

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm looking for a "they hosed with the wrong guy" type of action revenge movie. Something along the lines of Taken, John Wick, Death Wish, Ip Man, etc, where the bad guys gently caress up the protagonist's life to some degree, and slowly become more terrified as he hunts them down. I don't care about the setting, it can be a western, urban, hong kong, or anything else, as long as it fulfills the visceral feeling of seeing the bad guys get their just deserts, all the while regretting messing with the wrong dude(or lady).

ms 45, rolling thunder, point blank, outlaw josey wales, big heat, bride wore black, lady snowblood, man on fire

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Vookatos posted:

Hiya! Looking for some cool musicals. Not counting cartoons, Rocky Horror and Little Shop are the only musicals I've seen and I've enjoyed them a lot. Guessing there's not many movies that are similar in atmosphere, but something funny and/or upbeat would be the best.

brigadoon, gigi, the band wagon, funny face, singin in the rain, the pirate, an american in paris, it's always fair weather, meet me in st louis, gentlemen prefer blondes, top hat, the gay divorcee, the smiling lieutenant, high society, footlight parade, gold diggers of 1933, french cancan, umbrellas of cherbourg, young girls of rochefort, up down fragile

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 16, 2017

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Most of your recommendations you didn't seem to like. Don't recommend things you don't like in the recomendation thread.

i don't think the criterion for giving a recommendation should be whether you like it or not but rather whether it's a knowledgeable recommendation. the post is a failure because it's giving a recommendation just to give one. the place to go for "cool, upbeat/happy" musicals isn't the 21st century rehabilitation of the genre, but the classics like arthur freed's mgm productions, lubitsch, berkeley, astaire/rogers, etc. (also he writes off the 70s based off pippin but there are plenty of great musical movies from that era... phantom of the paradise, all that jazz, cabaret, new york new york, one from the heart, victor victoria, rock n roll high school, etc)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

From a friend:

some good recs but i'll throw in je tu il elle, mulholland dr, beau travail

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Ornithology posted:

Looking for dark crime thrillers or mystery films, sci Fi also acceptable. Stuff I enjoyed in this theme includes Seven, Gone Baby Gone, memories of murder, triangle, the game, etc. Any quick suggestions highly appreciated.

cure

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Thirsty Girl posted:

So my Goodwill now has a sealed VHS copy of just about every John Wayne movie and I'd like to know what the essentials are. I already grabbed The Shootist and Rio Bravo.

i'll echo the above sentiments about ford. the essentials are stagecoach, the cavalry trilogy (fort apache/she wore a yellow ribbon/rio grande), the quiet man, the searchers, and the man who shot liberty valence. the long voyage home and they were expendable are some relatively minor wartime dramas they did but they're good. the long voyage home especially has some great deep focus cinematography from gregg toland. 3 godfathers and the horse soldiers are sort of minor westerns in the grand scheme of both ford and wayne but they're both not bad. wings of eagles is a decent aviation movie. donovan's reef is maybe their best collaboration.

the other stuff he did with hawks is excellent, basically of their collaborations are good except for rio lobo. red river is incredible and is really the movie which turned ford on to casting wayne more seriously. hawks had a habit of remaking movies from earlier in his career as it went on, so el dorado is essentially a remake of rio bravo but honestly i think it's just as good, rio lobo is also a remake of rio bravo, but it's bad, like easily one of hawks' worst movies. and hatari is sort of a leisurely remake of only angels have wings but set on a safari. it's one of my favorite movies ever but unless you're a hawks auteurist i can't imagine you'll get much out of it.

the big trail is essential. dark command, his other collaboration with raoul walsh is less so but is still good

jet pilot and flying leathernecks are also decent aviation movies. sons of katie elder is good if that's in there.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 28, 2017

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lav diaz

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

burger boys, elegy to the visitor from the revolution, and the criminal of barrio concepcion are all fairly short

some others i remembered now that im awake are insiang and kinatay

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

they live by night, gun crazy, the hitch-hiker, pierrot le fou, weekend, dirty mary crazy larry, sugarland express, thunderbolt & lightfoot, something wild, wild at heart, sunchaser, red rock west

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the thing, hellraiser, eyes without a face, videodrome, the fly (really all 70s/80s cronenberg), tetsuo the iron man + sequels, lifeforce, all the iterations of invasion of the body snatchers, terrorvision

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

drunken angel, stray dog, bad sleep well

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Looking for some entertaining fast-paced comedies that tell a story? For example I recently saw Mannequin and Mean Girls, which I never thought would be ones I'd really dig, but I did dig them. Just drops you into the lives of some characters in a heightened world, you want to see where it goes, and it's entertaining.

The thing about recommendations is I've seen a lot of what might be go-to ones here, Wayne's World, Anchorman, Sideways, Coming to America, Coen brothers movies, Hughes, Chow, etc, so I guess a bit of an unexpected or hidden gem quality to these might work too. Looking for fun fast-paced comedy stories like that which I may have missed. Especially 80s to present.

after hours

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

zoux posted:

I've been watching a bunch of crime films and gangster pictures over the long weekend:

Chinatown
Heat
Bonnie and Clyde
The Big Sleep
LA Confidential
Miller's Crossing

I really like LA noir particularly, but I'm up for anything in the genre, or with the same feel. Of those six I liked Chinatown and LA Confidential the most. The old black and whites are fine, but I like the post-Hays code stuff where they don't have to cover up the seedy underbellies.

Apologies if this comes up all the time, I checked a few pages back.

there was a huge trend of sexing up classic noir narratives in the 70s/80s/90s including straight remakes/readaptations of farewell my lovely, the postman always rings twice, and d.o.a. stuff like body heat, fatal attraction, 52 pick up, body of evidence, malice, lost highway/mulholland dr, etc

the other obvious suggestions would be like thief, badlands, long goodbye, night moves, rolling thunder, to live and die in la. maybe even some de palma like body double and scarface

there are a quite a few noirs and noir-adjacent movies from the classic era that subvert the code and revel in the seamier side. directors like preminger and wilder essentially made their reputations off pushing the censors buttons (watch where the sidewalk ends, for example.) fritz lang's 50s movies tended towards this too (clash by night, big heat, blue gardenia, human desire, while the city sleeps, beyond a reasonable doubt) and also some lesser known movies like nightmare alley and pitfall, and b-pictures like gun crazy and the big combo

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 6, 2017

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would like to cast a wide net and request recommendations for lesser-known mystery/crime thrillers, ideally from the 1970s through the 1990s, along the lines of Tightrope, Sea of Love, The Silence of the Lambs etc. in which an investigator doggedly pursues a murderer.

Klute, Night Moves, Fear City, Cop, A Perfect World, One False Move

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Staying on topic, I'm on a classic noir kick lately and trying to find something great that I've missed. I've seen:

The Big Sleep (both)
Double Indemnity
The Maltese Falcon
Out of the Past
Murder, My Sweet
Sunset Blvd.
The Third Man
In a Lonely Place
The Woman in the Window
Touch of Evil
Blast of Silence

I plan on watching:

Laura
Mildred Pierce
Detour

I've seen some that are generally considered noir, but feel more categorically loose, like Gun Crazy, Night of the Hunter, Scarlet Street, and Sweet Smell of Success, but I'm looking for the standard plots of a detective figuring out a murder or finding a missing person/object, instead of just a general crime film (unless it's reeeeeally good). Smart dialogue is a plus. I know I could use google, but it spits back the same lists and I don't know how comprehensive it is.

I wish they churned these out like they used to. Even the 70s were chock full of neo-noir, and we're in a similar bad situation now, coming off the heels of a poo poo war and embroiled in social divide and political corruption. Possibly more cynical as a society than ever in the past 70 years, we're primed for a noir resurgence.

Kiss Me Deadly, The Big Combo, The Big Heat, While The City Sleeps, Where The Sidewalk Ends, Angel Face, Criss Cross, Pickup on South Street, Cry Danger, Mr. Arkadin, On Dangerous Ground, Nightfall, Underworld USA, The Killers, T-Men, Raw Deal, The Narrow Margin, The Phenix City Story

Mildred Pierce is more akin to the ones you mentioned in the second paragraph (and I would say so is In A Lonely Place)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Fritz Lang's Indian Epic (The Indian Tomb & The Tiger of Eschnapur)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Can anyone recommend me a tense kidnapping thriller? Something along the lines of Prisoners, or I guess maybe those Morgan Freeman movies.

Man on Fire

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

Any recommendations for trans-centric films that are triumphant as opposed to tragic? Good non-binary representation a plus. Feeling really down from obvious recent events.

Paris Is Burning

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Shut the gently caress up

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

What are some movies full of passion-fueled self-destructive youth? The more bombastic the better. I'm thinking Streets of Fire if that sounds like it's a fit, but might want to do a double feature too.

they live by night, the doom generation (really, anything gregg araki), twin peaks: fire walk with me, carrie, the panic in needle park, smithereens, china girl, a nos amours / loulou / graduate first, out of the blue, rivers edge, cruel story of youth, heaven knows what, in vanda's room

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 11, 2018

• Locked thread