Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I just had someone post this article with "TRUTH BE TOLD!". BUT IT'S OK GUYS CAUSE THE REPORTER'S BLACK!

http://letvent.com/2013/11/07/a-black-reporter-summarizes-barack-obama/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
WHITES ARE THE ONES THAT ARE REALLY OPPRESSED.

Apparently he has never heard of the Latin Kings, MS-13, or biker gangs because apparently gangs that aren't black are pretty much negligible?

This guy is a quintessential libertarian who has one of the biggest persecution complex's I've ever come across. He's constantly yelling about reverse racism or the apparent demonization of fat people (he is very obese).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Sigh...

Edit: Also got this debate from another person on my facebook.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 28, 2014

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Also, didn't only two men descend in the LEM and one stayed in the Command Module?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

In all fairness, the pro-science ones had some pretty stupid/overly smug ones too. Stay on the high road people.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-for-creationists-from-people-who-believe-in-evoluti

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Got this on my facebook today from a Libertarian guy I know, who of course works as an auditor for the DoD (and then constantly complains about working for the government).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Was there a response written up for that Beer/Tax analogy? It's starting to pop up on my facebook again.

This: http://www.ijreview.com/2014/05/138011-tax-system-explained-beer-2/

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Checkmate environazis :smug:

Also, the job thing at the end is him referring to the fact that he is a Libertarian who works for the DoD as an auditor.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I saw this on my feed today. I'm not even entirely sure what he's trying to say. It sounds like he's saying that either WMDs did exist because why else would the New York Times say so or that it's the New York Times' fault that Bush thought there were WMDs in Iraq? Maybe he's just trying to say that the New York Times sucks? I don't even know.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 2, 2014

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I got two good posts from a Libertarian/MRA guy on my facebook regarding California's "Yes Means Yes" thing.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Dr.Tree posted:

That's a lot of vitriol and twisted logic there. Might want to sever before he's wearing your skin or something.

Oh I severed a while back, we hashed it out a couple of years ago to the point where we both agreed we weren't going to change the other's opinions because we fundamentally differed on the fact that I care about others and he does not (he said that directly). I just keep him around for content for this thread.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Got some new good ones from the crazy libertarian guy on my facebook.

Which had the following comments (Jen Youfelct is the same person as Doug Lee Duckling):

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I don't even know where to begin. I don't think I've seen a bigger fingers in the ears going "LALALALALALA".

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

These are both from the same lady.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Finally had the grocerystorethatdidnthappen.txt show up on my facebook.

Yes, it's good to discuss issues that are completely made up and aren't actually issues.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

This is all the same guy, an old fraternity brother of mine.

after all the times he's posted "If you don't like X about your job just get a new one" I want to tell him that if he doesn't like paying his insurance premium just quit that job and find one with an employer that pays 100% of the premium.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Exhaust particulates, crash safety and obesity studies with cars as well.

I mean it's highly likely there's been a study on redesigning hand tools to lower accident severity.

And wasn't there a recent study about how cats literally infect your brain with something?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

The crazy conservative Christian lady on my facebook just posted a link to this article.
http://conservativetribune.com/jeffersons-response-to-islam/

How Thomas Jefferson Responded to Islam in 1801 Puts Barack H. Obama to Shame posted:

The radical Islamic jihadists that make up the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria are engaged in a war to reestablish the former Islamic Caliphate and spread their version of fundamentalist Islam around the world.

This is really nothing new, as radical Islamists have been waging jihad against “infidel” unbelievers since their inception in 800 AD.

As our current Islamist-sympathizer president, Barack Obama, wages a “phony war” against the Islamic State and apologizes to Muslims around the world on behalf of so-called American imperialism, he has done little more than encourage the Islamists by allowing them to set the Middle East on fire.

Obama should really pick up a history book sometime, and read about how one of his predecessors, and one of our nation’s Founding Fathers, handled the threat posed by radical Islamic jihadists, way back in 1801.

The Young Cons recently shared a short history lesson about how Thomas Jefferson responded to radical Islamic kidnappings, beheadings, and extortion, long before oil or American imperialism were concerns for our fledgling country that was just trying to survive.

The threat that Jefferson was compelled to face off against originated from what was called the Berber states, or Barbary Coast, a collection of semi-autonomous Islamic states in North Africa that were part of the greater Ottoman Empire, including Algiers, Morocco, Tripoli, and Tunis.

The Barbary states had a habit of sending out pirate ships to attack and capture merchant ships passing through the Mediterranean Sea. They would kidnap the crews of the ship and either hold them for high ransoms from their home countries, or force them to convert to Islam, or simply kill them.

In 1786, while serving as an Ambassador for the new United States, Jefferson asked Tripoli’s Ambassador to Great Britain what right the Barbary states had that allowed them to kidnap and slaughter the innocent crews of passing merchant ships.

According to Jefferson, Sidi Haji Abdul Rahman Adja replied that Islam “was founded on the Laws of their Prophet, that it was written in their Qur’an, that all nations who should not have acknowledged their authority were sinners, that it was their right and duty to make war upon them wherever they could be found, and to make slaves of all they could take as Prisoners, and that every Musselman [Muslim] who should be slain in battle was sure to go to Paradise.”

In essence, the Ambassador from Tripoli stated that their religion, Islam, gave them the right to kidnap and murder and enslave those who held different beliefs. Jefferson took this information to heart and remembered it well. He also spent time studying the Koran himself, to gain a better understanding of the enemy his young nation was facing.

In 1801, when Jefferson was president, the Pasha of Tripoli suddenly demanded a massive payment from the United States, along with an increased annual tribute, in order to secure safe passage for American ships through the Mediterranean.

Jefferson refused the demands of the Pasha, and instead of sending more money and acquiescing to the angry and demanding Muslims, he sent naval warships bearing the newly created U.S. Marine Corps.

This was the first war by the American nation on foreign soil, and is where the line “to the shores of Tripoli” in the Marine Corps hymn comes from. It is also believed that the term “Leathernecks,” which refers to Marines, comes from the thick leather neck coverings that the Marines wore to protect themselves from being beheaded by the giant swords wielded by the Barbary pirates.

Thomas Jefferson showed how a U.S. president should respond to threats from radical Islamists, and that is by confronting and defeating them. Obama could certainly stand to learn a lesson from Jefferson.

Because of course military tactics from 1801 would totally still work today. That's why we sent in Dragoons to Iraq mounted on steeds with lances. I also love that it's conclusion of what needs to be done to win is "confronting them and defeating them". I am also really tempted to quote the Treaty of Tripoli on the whole not a Christian nation thing too. Also, isn't Obama a secret Musilim? So he's probably studied the Koran too right?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I just had a weird conversation with a coworker. He's hard conservative, probably leans tea party. I've posted some of his facebook shares here before. The conversation started with us trash talking the SEC (college football), then it suddenly ended up talking about the new law Texas is trying to put through, which essentially makes all federal laws null and void (hint: it's to avoid federal gun laws!). He said it was a good thing since the feds have been pushing Texas around too much and it was time to take a stand. I responded with that it leads down a slippery path of civil war, but I doubt we'd get to the point of shooting each other. He said that's probably true, but that there's "disturbing" news that Army Generals were being asked if they were willing to fire on American citizens, and if they answered no, they would be dismissed or forced to retire.

The second one has been going around for ages (since the invention of mass internet consumption) and the top two hits on my search were articles from InfoWars and TheBlaze. I really have no idea how to respond to the Texas law thing.

I just got another military worship one today about ARE BRAVE GENERALS STANDING UP TO NOBABA.

Which of course has the usual recursion of The Political Insider links its source to Wounded American Warrior, which links its source to Conservative Tribune which just links to itself repeatedly.

The same person also posted this which I thought was pretty funny. She alternates between insisting that because of OBAMAs failures we're all about to die from Ebola and saying "hmm, isn't it mighty suspicious that the Ebola crisis is suddenly gone?! Maybe it was just a ruse to distract us!"

That's all it is too, it's not even a link to something. That is the entirety of the post on the other dude's facebook. I almost want to reply "It's not being reported by any news..." but I feel like that would just prove her point somehow.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I feel like anyone, if they just took a second to step back and be like "could this even remotely, possibly, be the tiniest bit true" they would see how ridiculous that whole paragraph is because there is zero chance of that being real. Then I think of the two crazy people I keep around on my facebook and how eager they are to believe anything negative about Obama. Especially the lady who went super "SUPPORT ARE TROOPS WHY DOES HUSSEIN OBAMA HATE OUR MILITARY!!!!" after her son (who is actually a really great, well adjusted guy) joined the army.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 13, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

I know a bunch of younger people who have joined the American Legion after getting out of the service. They all have a few things in common - they were all involved in some sort of office or clerical work, they never actually deployed overseas (not even to safe places like Japan), and they're all way more chest-thumping motivated 'HIGH-SPEED LOW DRAG HOO-AH!' than any of the actual combat veterans I know, who are mostly pretty low-key about it. Conversely, none of the combat veterans I've met want poo poo to do with the Legion.

Talking to the vets I know this seems to be pretty universal.
http://terminallance.com/2010/01/26/terminal-lance-7-good-reasons-to-not-go-to-the-gym/

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Had a little luck with common core by patiently teaching people the basic math technique they're using as a crazy example until it makes sense and then explaining that children will be getting similar instruction.

From there, you can turn it around against the meme by explaining that 'someone' is trying to trick you into thinking that Common Core is crazy math.

This. I've done this for a number of people that posted common core memes and after walking through it with them only one kept up with "WELL IT'S DUMB STILL, I WAS TAUGHT GOOD OLD AMURICAN MATH AND IT WORKED FOR ME!".

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

My feed is blowing up from the murder/sucide of David Crowey and his family. People that were previously just very right wing on my feed have now gone full blown "FEMA Death Camps THEY ARE SILENCING THE TRUTH!" conspiracy nut crazy.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone gets old and everything that happens past a certain point in your life is new, scary, and therefore wrong.

One day, you will be the equivalent of the old union guy who supports leftist economics, workers' rights, and solid welfare, but complains about how the country is 80% Muslim and they want to force us to run our Quiznos under Shakira law.

And you will tell everyone "You'll understand when you're older".

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I know this one has come up in this thread before, but man this one seriously makes me angry

Yes, absolutely nothing you decide could possibly be affected by anything external that you have no control over. Nope, it's all on you.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

With the American Sniper stuff I usually just try and quote the review from Terminal Lance in that, while it's an exciting war movie that is technically accurate in its portrayals of combat tactics and environments and was fun to watch, the movie missed huge opportunities to address real issues.

Terminal Lance posted:

American Sniper is a movie that is presented to you in a classical American truth, that assumes it is correct. It doesn’t ask any questions, and it doesn’t invite you to ask any. There is a lot to be said about the Iraq war and a man who is famous for killing 160 (confirmed) people, but the film really chooses to say nothing about it at all. Instead of a morally complex and possibly even abrasive character that we know the real Chris Kyle was, Bradley Cooper plays him with a cuddly, teddy bear-like goodness that I’m not sure makes sense in the grand scheme of things.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

All anti-vax arguments are pretty dumb, but one of the worst for me are the ones that say "No one gets X disease anymore, why would we need a vaccine for it?" and never stop and connect the dots that maybe the reason no one gets them anymore is specifically because we vaccinate for it. I'm hoping I can help get her to connect the dots, she's usually pretty open to changing her viewpoint.

This same lady posted a common core math macro a couple of months ago and her sister, who is a teacher, explained how it worked and why it's a good idea and by the end of it the OP was like "oh, that makes a lot of sense, cool" so maybe the same will happen here.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Ho boy...

Conservative Tribute (because of course) posted:

The murder of “American Sniper” author Chris Kyle is getting even more attention now that the movie adaptation of his best-selling memoir has become one of the biggest hits of the year.

Now, as his murderer is about to go on trial, shocking information about his motives may shed new light on the case.

According to an organization known as the Warfighter Foundation, there are two discomforting facts that the group uncovered in their investigation of Eddie Ray Routh, Kyle’s killer: he likely didn’t suffer from PTSD and he may have been a sympathizer of Islamist organizations.

The information, which came from a Freedom of Information Act request from by group, states that “During a phone call with his father, Routh expressed sympathy for the detainees and discontent over how the U.S. was conducting the war as well as his reluctance to engage in combat.”

“While working as a guard at Balad Air Base, Routh laments his (Muslim) prisoners’ poor living conditions,” the report also reads.

There is, one must point out, no evidence that Routh had converted to Islam, merely information suggesting that he may have sympathized with the Islamist organizations to which his prisoners belonged (H/T Allen West).

As for his post-traumatic stress disorder, the Warfighter Foundation points out that Routh’s experiences in the military made such a diagnosis unlikely.

“Eddie Routh served one tour in Iraq in 2007, at Balad Air Base (the 2nd largest U.S. installation in Iraq), with no significant events. No combat experience,” the organization said.

“Let me say that again, he NEVER SAW COMBAT or any aspect of traumatic events associated with a combat deployment (i.e. incoming mortar or rocket fire). He never left the base, EVER.”

And the base he was stationed at wasn’t exactly a spartan experience: “Balad Air Base had a Pizza Hut, 24 hour Burger King, Subway, Popeye’s, Baskin Robbins, movie theater, and even a miniature golf course. It even had a strictly enforced 10 mile per hour speed limit!”

I understand eating at Pizza Hut isn’t the most pleasant experience in the world, but it hardly qualifies as traumatic.

While Routh had been experiencing deteriorating mental health, his PTSD had been self-diagnosed — and as everyone who’s ever been in an Internet chat room knows, self-diagnosis isn’t exactly the most reliable form of medical attention.

While it’s unknown whether or not Routh’s possible Islamist sympathies had anything to do with his targeting of Kyle, it’s certainly as plausible of a theory as self-diagnosed PTSD.

However, PTSD fits a convenient media narrative about the privations and savagery of military life during the Bush administration, whereas possible Islamist sympathies sounds politically incorrect.

So if you’re wondering why you hear one and not the other, well, there you go.

"He objected to the awful way prisoners were treated?! SYMPATHIZER! Also, how can he possibly have PTSD if he never saw combat?! MAKES YOU THINK!"

This is one of three articles this person has posted basically saying either that Routh was secret islamic assassin (because they needed to take out glorious American hero Chris Kyle) or that his PTSD wasn't "real" PTSD and he was just a wuss.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Welp, pack it up America, ISIS has already invaded America and we're pretty much doomed because or our wussbag president.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I had a pretty good time watching an conspiracy theorist/anarchist and a lowest common denomenator Republican talking points guy debate on a third crazy person's facebook.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

A friend of mine poster on her facebook about seeing Fifty Shades in theaters and this was the very first reply. It may be the first time I've seen "ARE TROOPS" in the wild.

I assumed it was satire until my friend confirmed that this person actually talks like this all the time. I feel like I need to add this person on my facebook soley for more thread content :getin:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

She also had one that was an image macro about how "we cannot allow Americans to join ISIS and then return home to spread Jihad in the US!"

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

A follow up to my earlier post.

I'm impressed at all the people telling the OP she's wrong. Usually her facebook is full of "OH YEAH, AMERICA, NOBAMA NOT MY PRESIDENT!" whenever she posts stuff.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

This may be one of the worst "articles" I have seen yet posted by this lady on my facebook. She has been slowly creeping towards full-blown Muslim bigotry and frequently posts those "OMG MOSQUES/TRAINING CAMPS IN MY AMERICA" articles but holy poo poo. She is also genuinely terrified of anyone wearing Muslim garb.

Conservative Tribue of course posted:

Muslim “Welfare Queen” Refuses to Remove Headscarf in Court… Judge Puts Her in Her Place
Muslim immigrant Rania El-Alloul had a rude awakening in a Montreal court when she showed up wearing her Islamic head covering.

Arrogantly assuming that the court would bow to her beliefs, she was told by Quebec Judge Eliana Marengo that if she wanted to be heard she would have to remove her hajib.

“The courtroom is a secular place and a secular space,” said Marengo. “There are no religious symbols in this room. Not on the walls and not on the persons.”

The judge went on to say that she would not hear anyone that appeared wearing a hat or sunglasses either.

“I will therefore not hear you if you are wearing a scarf on your head,” Marengo said.

When asked if she would remove the headscarf so that the court could continue, El-Alloul declined.

“Actually I cannot remove my scarf,” said El-Alloul. “Since long years I’m wearing my scarf.”

El-Alloul then started to give the judge excuses that she was poor, on welfare and a mother of three on her own, but the judge would hear none of it.

“That’s not what I’m talking about,” said Marengo in reference to the excuses.

The judge told her that she would not be hearing her case and that she could consult a lawyer.

El-Alloul was appearing before the court to try to get back her car, which had been impounded after police discovered her son driving it without a license (H/T Mad World News).

Of the incident, El-Alloul says that she now lives in fear. “What happened in the court made me afraid. I felt that I’m not Canadian anymore,” she said.

Just as liberal secular humanists don’t want to be judged under Christian principals, people of other religions must understand that they don’t get a special pass either.

Immigrants to another nation should be ready to assimilate to their chosen country’s laws, language and culture if they wish to live there.

Please share this article on Facebook and Twitter if you agree that Muslims must follow the laws of the country in which they choose to live.

I do really enjoy watching her and her legitimately anarchist friend duke it out though.

And sometimes I touch the poop too when it's deserved.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Holy poo poo, lets get back to political forwards already. I realized I hadn't trawled through the crazy libertarian/MRA/White Oppression guy's page on my facebook recently when he usually provides such great content. I quickly remembered why...

:cripes:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

:patriot::911::patriot:

Luigi Thirty posted:

and ours :siren:our:siren: painted white

Ahh! It's reverse macro sydrome!

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 11, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Seriously, it's not like the Habeas Corpus suspension isn't well known so to hold up Lincoln as the ultimate "I shall not usurp Congress" is really dumb.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Gotta handle all the important issues on facebook, like both hating on transsexuals and why the gently caress your phone sent you an alert vibrate.

Also, this lady on my facebook is seriously going more and more ISIS crazy. It's pretty interesting to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Can anyone give me one reason why anyone would wear a bow-tie that isn't either in a tuxedo or an 8-yo boy?

University Professor? (assuming you pair it with a tweed coat with leather elbows)