Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

Ultimately, the US would've broken away from England by the 1830's at the latest. The US was just too big with too many people, once we were able to build more than a vestigial industrial base, England would've had to give up on us.

How do you figure? I suppose I could see another independence movement cropping up, similar to what happened in India, but with the absurdly massive amount of resources they would have been funneling into England I sincerely doubt that they would ever want to give up America. Especially since in 1830 the US had no real military power, and I can only imagine they would have had even less to their name had they stayed a colony, there's no way they could have won independence with England actually trying to keep them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

To address the original argument of "x item is a murder weapon, better ban them" there's always this:

It's also worth pointing out that things like butterfly knives are generally illegal.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KillerJunglist posted:

So buy a motorcycle! *Moves comment to Cycle Asylum*

Got this one on my stupid facebook feed from a former classmate of mine:

I honestly couldn't figure out what it was trying to say so I responded with "Bush and Reagan simply postured while Obama does real work? I don't get it."

He hasn't responded yet and it's been over a week. :(

Reagan is cutting up some trees, Bush is hauling them away, and then Obama is digging a firepit. So I guess the next guy is going to burn them?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

myron cope posted:

It's through their vigilance (and the vigilance of groups like theirs) that Obama won't get a third term. Know that.

I think this is honestly the first time I've ever seen anyone be worried about a president running for their third term. Every conspiracy theorist I've seen thinks that the president is just going to suspend the elections and not step down.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ponzicar posted:

To be fair, I remember there were a few idiots who were scared Bush would do the same thing.

It's not a partisan thing, certainly. It's just that even with Bush I only ever heard that he'd suspend the elections.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ohgodwhat posted:

What, is Morgellon's not a real disease? I'm really confused.

Are you joking?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brawnfire posted:

Not a massive nest of crazy, but I got a kick out of this one.

It is always pretty funny how, when it comes to politics, people always get so worked up over the most harmless of fluff pieces.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The common conservative response to that is "Well, if social democracy in Scandinavia is so successful, why is in the process of being done away with? Surely the voters would put a stop to it if it really worked that well."

Doesn't Norway consistently vote to stay out of the EU because they don't want to have to lower their taxes?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Thanks.

And no, I fully don't expect it to change anything. He thinks back alley abortions are myths and exaggerations, and that less than a dozen women have been injured or killed because of them. Ever. (Bizarrely, he also considers SB2 to have been fully justified to stop back-alley abortionists like Goznell :psyduck:)

Hopefully I'll have the good sense to keep quiet but...uggghhh...so...difficult.

Why do you even bother dealing with your family? I have a cousin who, the last time I saw him, was wearing a don't tread on me shirt. You don't see me entertaining his delusions during the holidays, though. Life's too short to spend your time around people like that.

I know they're your family and you should be nice to them, but blood is really only so thick.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

V-Men posted:

The other thing they believe is that sex is only for procreation and that if you enjoy it, that's okay too, but if you aren't making babies then don't do it. I've had similar arguments over marriage between homosexuals. "They can't procreate, so why let them get married?"

On this note, a pro LGBT group once actually put a bill forward which would have forbidden marriage for infertile people and annulled marriages for couples who hadn't had a kid in however many years of being together. The bill was of course about as successful as you'd think, but the point was that people could point to it and say that no, marriage really is not about procreation.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CitizenKain posted:

So hard hitting journalism site Ebaumsworld has this breaking news:
WikiLeaks: Obama Secretly Planning On Sale Of Citizen's Rights
Obama is working on a deal called the TPP, which would sacrifice national sovereignty, public health and Internet Freedom all in the name of keeping private corporations happy.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83666961/

What is weird is a Republican complaining about corporations running the government, which as I know is kinda their goal?

Ebaumsworld still exists?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

If I can find an article critical of Obama by a black journalist, then he becomes "my black friend" and I can hate Obama for any racist reason I want. If that black journalist actually uses racist terms either because he actually is racist, or even if he's just classist and is therefore indifferent to the poverty of black people then that's even better because I can now be at least as racist as he is and hide behind his skin color when called out.

Obviously black people can't be racist against their own group, duh. :rolleyes:

It's just like how Ann Coulter or Phylis Schlafly aren't being horrible misogynists when they say women shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

For a 16 year old the fact that their teacher disagrees with them only reinforces that they must be right.

Even though they only believe what they do because one of the others teachers taught it to them?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SpamPudding posted:

So this popped up in my news feed today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Ce2o8v9-k

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CarterUSM posted:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that whatever math geniuses come out of America do so in spite of math education here, rather than because of it.

America's math programs were designed back in the 50s essentially as a way of sticking it to the Soviets. They were ahead of us in the space race, so we decided to do what we could to start pumping out as many mathematicians as possible. It worked at the time, but we never really changed it. So instead of teaching kids something that would be useful in the modern era such as statistics, we're encouraging them to develop into early cold war era engineers.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was at a thanksgiving dinner with my father, his fiance, her kids, and her parents.

Apparently according to both my father, and her father they both believed/agreed with the following:

-That the ACA asks for whom you vote for (to potentially deny care to you).
-That it allows EVERYONE access to your information (including janitors at the hospital)
-That all doctors in their 50's are close to retiring due to ACA.

How false is all of this stuff? I'm kind of amazed at how misinformed people are.

Those all relate back to something called the electronic health record, which is a record keeping system that the ACA is requiring medical practitioners to switch over to if they haven't already. It's a decent bit of software, and it's nice because it's going to be completely standardized.

Those first two points are completely detached from reality, while the third one has a vague inkling of truth in that some doctors are retiring because they don't want to have to figure out how the new record system works. Edit: oh, and some practitioners were worried about the cost of it. I don't know if the EHR is going to be subsidized or anything.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This stupid poo poo's been going on for a year now?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

I should probably still read it, since Mom and Dad paid for my schooling and allowed me to graduate debt-free. But I really don't want to :smithicide:

Don't read it. You don't owe your parents for that, and there are better ways of showing you appreciate them than by going through some lovely book.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Oh drat, and the bigots were just about give everyone equal rights and stop demonizing gay people, blaming us for hurricanes, and calling us pedophiles too, and then Dan Savage got on the radio and ruined it all. Thanks a lot, Dan Savage! :argh:

Dan Savage is actually a pretty lovely person though, just not for that reason.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He's improved a decent bit actually.

That's good to hear, guess I'm a bit behind. He finally coming around on trans issues?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

He actually said that?! Holy Christ, I mean it's good he apologized for it but goddamn. I wonder how he'd react to advice that "It's selfish to be out of the closet or live with your same-sex partner while your kid is in high school...I mean, what if he gets teased? It would be your fault, because you just couldn't cater to the worst bigots in society and stay in the closet for 18 years".
:ughh:

It really, absolutely, cannot be understated how bad Savage can be when it comes to parts of the LGBTQ community that fall outside of whatever he's personally experienced. The guy's even pretty openly biphobic, and seems to be one of the people who think we largely don't exist.

quote:

In 1999, Dan printed this response after being challenged about his biphobia:

“Sorry, but avoiding bi guys is a good rule of thumb for gay men looking
for long-term relationships. Outside of San Francisco’s
alternate-universe bisexual community, there aren’t many bi guys who
want or wind up in long-term, same-sex relationships — monogamous or
not.”

In the 2008 documentary, Bi the Way, Dan
said “I meet someone who’s 19-years-old who tells me he’s bisexual and
I’m like, ‘Yeah, right, I doubt it. I tell them come back when you’re
like 29 and we’ll see.’”

http://www.thebacklot.com/snails-oysters-dan-savage-is-biphobic/04/2011/

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBadIdea posted:

Savage has been embarrassingly slow to come around to a lot of things, but I assure you guys Savage in 1999 is a lot different from Savage nowadays. I'm certainly not denying that Savage has said some pretty stupid-rear end things about bisexuality, transexuality, and other things, but I don't know, come on. I can't be the only one to find this wholesale trashing of advocates for being not completely perfect pretty drat tedious.

He's still being pretty terrible about bi people. Here's a video from 2013 of him talking about it. I couldn't find a transcript, so I'll just copy a bit from a 2011 article where he said much the same thing.

quote:

But people get to make their own choices, and lots of bisexuals choose not to be out. While I'm willing to recognize that the reluctance of many bisexuals to be out may be a reaction to the hostility they face from non-bisexuals, gay and straight, bisexuals need to recognize that their being closeted is a huge contributing factor to the hostility they face.

Bisexual activists like to complain that they're the most oppressed because (1) it's a contest, and (2) it's a good excuse. If they can argue—and unfortunately, they can—that lots of gay people are mean to them (some gay people don't want to date them, some gay people doubt they exist) and straight people are mean to them (some straight people don't want to date them, some straight people doubt they exist), then bisexual people aren't to blame for the bisexual closet. Everyone else is.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/bisexuals/Content?oid=8743322

For anybody who doesn't care to click, he prefaces the thing by saying that he isn't biphobic and that the only bisexual people he finds scary are the ones who accuse him of it. He's not being out and out lovely these days, but come on. He's putting the onus on the discriminated group to fix the problem, instead of saying that other people should be more accepting of us.

Edit: the problem here is that when he was a teen he used to think that he was bisexual, and he just can't get it through his head that not everybody had the same experience. It really seems very paternalistic, like he's expecting us all to just grow up and have a revelation like he did.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 9, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The point of that is that oppression olympics is a dumb thing and that if you're in the closet because you think the evil gays will make fun of you chances are you're in the closet for other reasons. Like, it is a thing in places where bi 'activists' spend more time spreading the whole 'the gays hate us' thing like we're the loving klan against bi people than actual, ya know, activism. He's saying if you're in the closet because you ASSUME people in the LGBT community will be 'hostile and cruel' that's on you.

But anyway yea that image saying he's just like the guy who literally was a factor in Uganda's kill gays bill was totes valid because he said a thing ten years ago.

Yes, yes, playing oppression olympics is dumb, Dan Savage isn't literally Hitler, and more people should be brave come out of the closet. The problem is that he's blaming us for not stopping the bigotry, while at the same time doing nothing to make the idea of being open about our sexuality seem any more appealing.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBadIdea posted:

Not sure where you're getting that from.

The article had a lot of hand wringing about how there are plenty of bisexual people in the world and how he's totally not biphobic because he thinks we exist, but that we choose to round down to hetero relationships and also did I mention that lots of young people only think that they're bi because they don't realize they're gay yet. He's just trying very hard to deflect criticism that wouldn't exist if it weren't for the fact that he insists on painting us in an all or nothing light. The sense of paternalism I get is because he keeps on projecting his own experiences on to bi people, and thinking that they'll become gay eventually. Edit: it could totally be that I'm simply misusing the term, though.

But yes, the end of the article was worse and I should have included that in my post.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KillerJunglist posted:

God drat but I had to read this like four times before I could figure out what it was trying to say. "These sons or daughters of bitches" is a very strange turn of phrase. "Don't waste a bullet, send them straight to Hell" is also super confusing. I guess it means "shoot to kill (not to harm)"? Or was it supposed to be "Don't [worry about] waste[ing] a bullet"?

Ow, my head :psyduck:

It means that the bullet will not be wasted if it is used to murder a son or a daughter of a bitch.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite counter example to that is to point out that lots of knives are banned for being too dangerous.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Afraid of Audio posted:

hahaha Is there any context behind that?

It's an analogy for some D&D poster who was infamous for pulling that poo poo.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Interlude posted:

Guns are a loving culture war issue for the left, and a losing one at that. I know it's fun as poo poo to punish right wingers and everything they like, but this particular issue irks the hell out of me because it's a god damned distraction. This country is so irreparably hosed on innumerable social and economic levels; the idea that what's supposed to be our greater minds are wasting time on low-value issues like gun control instead of pushing for equality means, to me, that it's just a matter of spite.

poo poo, imagine if Dianne Feinstein spent her 'OMG assault weapons' time and cred on advancing gay or disabled rights?

And don't loving bore me with "WE CAN DO BOTH". No, you can't. In the comfort of internet forums, perhaps, but in not in reality. We can't, as a country, even confirm a loving presidential appointee.

If you admit that gun control is a losing issue, why are you so paranoid about it?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What are they doing with the remains now then, just chucking them away? Burying them in a fun sized cemetery? Burning them in a way that isn't used to generate energy?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Why is it always a one world currency? Literally no one (except buttcoiners I guess) actually want a single worldwide currency. Besides not actually giving you any special power it also just a terrible idea. Look at the Euro and that's only 18 countries and change.

It would be unwieldy, certainly, but I've never really gotten how a one world currency is supposed to be menacing.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Uh, guys, I was just trying to make light of the conspiracy theorists there. I'm not actually suggesting we make a one world currency.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Born in 1835 (he came of a Southern family, a family just rich enough to own one or perhaps two slaves), he had had his youth and early manhood in the golden age of America, the period when the great plains were opened up, when wealth and opportunity seemed limitless, and human beings felt free, indeed were free, as they had never been before and may not be again for centuries.

Come one Orwell, I thought you were better than that.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spangly A posted:

Well if we're talking about getting rid of the English I assume it was them making that explicit reference, yes.

George Washington, noted combatant in the War of 1812,

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The author of the macro probably doesn't even realize there was a war of 1812. We were under English rule, we kicked them out, end of story.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You've never heard libertarians complain about seatbelt laws, then.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody happen to know where that picture's actually from?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

The right wing meme of "Obama is Urkel" is one that conservatives use a lot, because ur-fascism requires that the enemy also be seen as stupid, foolish and nonthreatening, and Urkel remains the least threatening black person any Republican can think of.

You were saying?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Sean posted:

Please believe that I am giving an honest shot at reaching out to you here. The post that you were responding to was about killing someone over a television. You brought in the gay rape and murder part. Not only that, but the discussion that you were responding to was about people killing others that were no physical threat to them at all. No bullshit, I'm touching the poop here in an attempt to help you: that's a really big and really weird jump that you made there...

That is why you have a reputation of being crazy regarding guns. That huge leap is crazy. Seriously.

I think he meant that he's gay, and concerned about being attacked for it. You're still right, though.

If you're that worried, then why can't you just carry pepper spray or a taser with you? No reason you need something as lethal as a gun.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

A combination of cost, effectiveness, and ease of use.

Seems like a taser or pepper spray would be better for all three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ErichZahn posted:

I was unaware that effective tasers were available for under 20$.

I wouldn't know, self defense isn't my thing. I'm just assuming they're cheaper than guns.

Bring them up is honestly probably weakening my point, I should stick to just saying pepper spray. I know for sure that's cheap, easy to use, and debilitating, without being lethal.