Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SedanChair posted:

Of course, appeaser methodi$t$ will burn in hell. They're just going through the motions, they won't even beat the gay out of their children.

No joke, I had someone tell me that Catholics, of all people, "aren't really Christians." I'm not sure I even remotely understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

We actually did do something similar to that e-mail about grades in one of my social studies classes in college - the idea was that everyone could donate a percentage of their grade into a pot (up to 10%). Those grades were then doubled and redistributed to everyone in the class. So if the entire class put in ten points, then everyone would get twenty points back and gain a net ten points. Of course, if everyone but you put in ten points, then you'd end up with twenty additional points. Most of the people in the class lived in the same dorm, so there were people who were campaigning hard to get everyone to donate ten points.

In the end, I put in zero, and a few friends I knew put in zero, but that's primarily because we didn't want to risk losing points from our grades. I don't remember what the return was, but I think the class got back around seven or eight points. Some people campaigned for us to repeat the experiment, which we did, and the return that time was something like three points. I feel bad for one unfortunate person who put in ten points both times, however.

I'm not going to claim that this means anything with respect to politics, it's just an interesting example of these sorts of things happening. I even flirted with the idea of joining the people who coerced others into giving up ten points in order to boost my grade when I put in zero. After all, the amount we put in was completely anonymous with respect to the rest of the class and grades were private, so who would know?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Neruz posted:

I love how bullshit like this is always clearly made up by people assuming that the government is not only incompetent but actively malicious towards functioning, like, at all.

"We need confirmation from the president to respond to people shooting guns at us otherwise we just have to stand around and watch people die." WHY WOULD ANYONE MAKE A SYSTEM LIKE THAT?

One of my coworkers blamed the California drought on the government today. People are morons.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They're right. The California State government should have started draconian water saving measures at least a year ago.

True, but he was ascribing malice rather than extreme incompetence, as if people suffering under rising water bills and/or a lack of water would somehow be more likely to vote for the established government.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sounds exactly like one of my coworkers. It's what happens when you get all of your news from Fox and refuse to think critically. It gets hilarious when I point out actual contradicting information and you can see the hamster wheels spinning furiously in his head as he tries to reconcile the doublethink.

The most hilarious thing he did was go on about how the bible said that there were three bloodlines of people, with two of them serving the third (the third being Europeans, of course). Thing is, he married a Mexican lady and his son interns at the company and overheard the conversation. Instead of thinking a bit about how stupid the logic was, he doubled down and told his son that he is inferior and should be servile.

I will hand it to the guy though, his worldview, while disgusting, is at least logically consistent due to ignorance of facts.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

That's not a flu shot, the flu is nature's flu shot and it loving kills people which is why you should go get a human created flu shot designed not to kill you. :eng99:

I like how it completely misses the point of what a shot is in the first place. It says to keep taking until "symptoms are resolved." The entire loving point of a flu shot is that you don't get sick.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure most of these people would have no problem with either of those things.

(I'm not kidding or exaggerating in the slightest)

I work with a guy who, no poo poo, honestly believes that only landowners should be able to vote.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

McDowell posted:

Ask him if he means the bank that he signed his mortgage with.

Thing is, he actually does own his home and has paid off his mortgage. He's incredibly myopic and more or less lives by the motto of "gently caress you got mine" without outright saying it.

I've tried to explain to him that if voting were tied to land ownership that nobody would ever sell land, but he honestly and resolutely thinks that nothing would change. Not to mention the whole problem of how his wife or his son would vote, or how many people get to vote per parcel of land, or how much land is required to vote, etc. etc.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

Sorry, allegedly murdered. God forbid I let a bit of bias slip. I mean I hope you can see why it's incredibly frustrating the grand jury decided the incident wasn't worth a full court case/investigation. Unless I really misunderstand American law here, which is possible, I don't think an indictment is a guilty verdict; saying there's no probable cause at all is just bullshit.

You are correct. An indictment just means that they would have gone to trial.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I still haven't gotten any bites with this, but it'll be awesome if I do:

Should have mentioned that he was middle eastern and that the clergyman who was attacked was Jewish.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I think my brain just broke. How on earth is anything that Barack Obama said about Christianity offensive in any way? It all seems incredibly reasonable, especially for someone who is trying to govern while still staying true to the moral compass given to them by their faith without having that faith unduly influence policy.

Also, how on earth is the idea that people who work 40 hours a week shouldn't live in poverty stupid? Do they understand what poverty means? Nobody is saying that people on minimum wage jobs should live in mansions with all of the highest tech goodies, their own private jet, while feasting on caviar every night. People are saying that they should expect to be able to pay for their own shelter, pay for their own food, and generally enjoy a modest existence with sufficient income for some luxuries and all of their baseline needs met.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Techno Remix posted:

Sad part is, looking back on my childhood I bought into a lot of it because my parents fed it to me. I like to think that I've long since shaken that off. I know a lot of goons here on SA have probably had a similar experience growing up, but it still bugs me that there are probably some racist trappings lodged in the back of my brain somewhere from that kind of upbringing.

Had the same experience growing up, and only noticed it when I was looking back during college. I think the most hilarious thing though was finally figuring out that my grandmother (who is a very stereotypical southern belle) was actually being incredibly condescending and sarcastic when handing out complements. My dad took another year or so to figure it out, and only figured it out after my stepmother pointed it out to him.

It really put a whole bunch of stuff into context, especially when my uncle married a woman with darker complexion (no idea on race; never met her in person) and my grandmother started talking about her in what seemed to be a positive light.

I hate how insidious a lot of this stuff is. Racism is, quite frankly, loving everywhere and in just about every interaction between people. Old white dudes that I work with approach me and assume that I'm just as much of a racist shithead as they are, almost everyone who isn't white that I work with acts incredibly deferential to me at work even though I'm the lowest person in the hierarchy. It's frankly somewhat embarrassing to get that attitude from someone when I talk to them and they have a decade or more of experience over me on this particular job.

I still can't get over my racist coworker who spouts the idea that this particular wave of immigrants (Mexicans, but not the Chinese, the Chinese are fine, except when they aren't, as he loudly says around two people who work with us that immigrated from Taiwan) doesn't integrate, despite the fact that his Mexican wife, whose parent immigrated, speaks perfect English, and their son doesn't speak Spanish at all. The sheer quantity of cognitive dissonance is absolutely horrifying to me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Blarghalt posted:

You know, pretty much every communist government in existence came about from either 1.) a protracted civil war or 2.) a sudden, violent coup. This idea that communists gain power by slowly infiltrating governments and gradually changing it has absolutely no historical basis.

Sure it does, just look at good ol' McCarthy! :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Except that sometimes they...uh...well. Just...watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

...yeah.

I think my brain just broke. The sheer amount of willful misunderstanding of science is staggering.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Your Weird Uncle posted:

well, there are engines that run on hydrogen whose only byproduct is water. whose production has never been widespread although i dont know enough about them to directly attribute it to big oil

Hydrogen has a lot of advantages, but it's difficult to contain and we don't have an infrastructure set up for it, so as long as gasoline is sufficiently cheap, there's no real incentive to create hydrogen-fueled cars. It also doesn't help that it takes energy to compress hydrogen to the point where you have enough fuel to drive for long distances.

We'll likely eventually have and use hydrogen fueled vehicles, but there are some technical issues that need to be worked out first.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Well, assuming you have the money and resources to make and dispose of that many batteries, possibly. The hydrogen method has the advantage of being rather easier to do en-mass, as it requires fairly unspecified storage methods, or at least, not especially more specialized than petroleum.

You'd be surprised. Hydrogen is incredibly tiny, which means that containing it is actually fairly difficult to do, much less containing it at pressure. It's not the most difficult thing in the world to do, as people do manufacture and sell tanks of hydrogen, but containers that store gas at the pressures needed to store enough fuel to power a car are going to be bulky and extremely heavy out of necessity. It's a nontrivial factor in the design of a car since your fuel tank needs to be much larger, much heavier, and ultimately much more secure, since any small puncture could cause the whole container to rupture if the gas is at a high enough pressure or if the container is too weak (to say nothing of the fact that hydrogen gas is a gas, which means that it's much more flammable should the contents escape.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I know it tends to leak, but we do have some experience of doing it for H2/O2 rocket fuel.

You also don't have especially high standards to contend with if we're talking heavy/low mileage as far as your competition goes, electric cars are poo poo at both.

My point is that it's not as simple as shoving hydrogen into a modern gasoline fuel tank. Storing hydrogen for long periods of time in canisters isn't nearly as easy as storing a liquid. It's certainly not impossible, as you mention, but doing so is costly in terms of both volume and mass, which means that cars have to be redesigned around a very bulky fuel tank that has additional safety hazards regarding any tank that holds compressed gasses.

Ultimately, the issue with hydrogen and electric cars is that our electricity grid isn't clean yet. If electricity were clean, then switching over to hydrogen and electric would be a huge advantage, but at the moment that just not the case. It's worth investigating and it's worth having engines and fuel cells ready to go once our grid gets cleaner, but the efficiency isn't there yet, and we're better off with gasoline for now.

I'd say it's one of those things where it's worthwhile for companies like GM to partner with colleges or to invest a very small portion of their R&D budget into creating and refining engines that run off of hydrogen or more efficient methods of storing electricity, but it's not going to be the meat of their R&D budget at the moment.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Chik-Fil-A. Is this a Midwest/Southwest kind of thing?

They exist in California too, but I first saw them out in Virginia. They do have really tasty sandwiches and fries, but the problem is that if you live in California, you can always just go to an In-N-Out instead, and their food is much better.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

kittenmittons posted:

I tried it once out of curiosity. It was pretty good, just not "moral-compromising" good. You can get a comparable chicken sandwich at Wendy's or whatever.

I should probably clarify that the last time I ate at a Chick-Fil-A was before all the moral stuff came to light. Granted, I've eaten fast food once in the past two years, it's not like me not eating there is sending them any sort of message.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

On the other hand it hit 85F today here in my neck of Orange County, which is a good 20 degrees above the January average.

P.S. is Australia burning to the ground yet again this month?

And it snowed in San Diego (and some parts of Orange County according to my friend's family) a short while ago on top of that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

KomradeX posted:

I agree with these blue guys.

I will never ceased to be amazed at how many Americans are fully behind the idea of children dying en mass

I'm not sure how the red guy is even remotely sympathetic. The comic even points out that the red guy is an absurd strawman. Did they miscolor someone?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Frogfingers posted:

If you want to find something the human body is suited for, it is distance. Before people had tools like bows and other ranged appliances, we had to chase down our prey. Cheetahs are fast but they can't regulate their temperature as well as we can, so they can only sprint briefly. We are made to run down our prey until it collapses from exhaustion. We don't need to be the strongest because when we come into contact with our prey, it's already dying. We can see well enough to glean where an animal is moving and how long ago, physically spotting it from miles away isn't important if we're cognisant of traces that animal has left.

This goes into more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

It also helps that we can eat plants too, and they're not exactly the most difficult things to acquire.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Well gently caress you too, Mr. if engineer then bad. Most engineers I know can be convinced fairly easily about politics by simply showing them why they're wrong. It's one of the strengths of the logical process.

I have found that that only holds true with people who have an engineering degree though. People who are promoted up to engineer with no degree are far more rigid and dogmatic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If Zap Brannigan sat at a table I waited, I'd be giving him a tip.

I do hope whoever did this left some cash on the table though, because it's otherwise a serious rear end in a top hat move for a stupid joke.

Even funnier would be if someone else had signed their receipt as Kip and paid enough tip for the both of them without comment.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jurgan posted:

This is brilliant. I especially love the redundant "Islamic Algebra."

In the US they call it Common Core.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Does he not recognize Jefferson or does he just not know which party Jefferson was in (the Democratic-Republican Party, whose name was shortened to just 'The Democratic Party' in the 1830s)?

Democrat bad. Founding father good. Therefore founding father not Democrat.

That's the entire chain of logic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Quorum posted:

Yeah, if it's not appropriate to display an American flag at a public university in the United States of America, I'm pretty sure there aren't many places it's appropriate to display it.

UCI flies an American flag. Nobody voted to stop UCI from flying the American flag. The vote was to ban all flags from the lobby of one building, not from the entire campus.

I know we're Americans, but we don't need a flag in every room of every building.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Quorum posted:

I'm aware of the facts of the situation, but among their stated reasons was because American imperialism etc, and they couldn't get rid of the American flag without getting rid of all of them.

If you're removing every flag from your offices simply to express an opinion which is apparently contrary to the will of the public that elected you, you should probably consider that you're going too far to make a point.

To be clear, I think they had a right to do what they did, but it was a stupid, pointless gesture of the sort that powerless elected bodies made up of college students are prone to, and I'm not surprised the student body is less than amused by it.

Not from the offices. From a single room of a single building of a campus that is really rather large. Hell, what they could have done is just moved the flag to a different room and nobody would have noticed or cared.

Granted, I never visited the student council, voted for them, or even knew they existed when I went to UCI, so I'm not sure how big a deal their lobby is, but I'm guessing that the majority of students who go there had the reaction of "who the gently caress are these people?" when this whole thing went down.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The Macaroni posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I seriously don't get this. What, do they think we'll forget we're American if we don't go three seconds without seeing a flag?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:laffo:. Of loving course.

The next time I hear anti-halal nonsense I'll act like the conservatives that claim they'll eat MORE meat if someone's a vegetarian or waste gas if someone drives a hybrid: make special trips to the halal grocery and pick up the good poo poo.

Seriously, my local halal grocery always has good stuff.

Yeah, there's a great international market near me with some fantastic deals and good quality meat. My only complaint is that, for extremely obvious reasons, I cannot buy pork there. It's not a big deal though; there's a generic supermarket a couple blocks away that has me covered on that front.

I will never understand people freaking out about halal or kosher meat. If you're not Jewish or Muslim, it means literally nothing whatsoever to you, other than that the meat might be slightly higher quality, maybe.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Guaranteed, with a BS in EE, he (and most other people with a BS in anyE) couldn't do a dif e.q. problem to save his life.

Hey, I used to be able to do differential equation problems, and I know enough that if I needed to do one now I'd be able to relearn it. Granted, for an engineer, most of the time solving a differential equation is as simple as discretizing it and passing it off to a program, hence why we have finite element analysis for solving most of our problems.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

LOL just because you take the course, that doesn't mean you actually understand it or did anything more in depth that 2nd order ODEs that you were basically given the answer to and had to find out what makes it the answer. Maybe the worst you had to do was solve them using power series or something, & I'm sure for almost everyone it is a sophomore level course. Laplace and fourier transforms are not that difficult, but again you don't actually need to understand what is going on to algorithmically solve them. I'm sure the most that the majority of EE graduates have done is solving a wave equation.

What's your point? Most differential equation work is useless in the real world (where engineers need to actually build stuff) and what isn't useless in the real world is discretized, solved with finite element analysis or similar tools, and then tested experimentally to see if the model holds up. Knowing and understanding the theory is the important part of an engineer's education as he or she then knows which models to apply or when analyzing frequency is helpful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I've heard that "Death to" also occupies a similar space to "gently caress" in Iran. For example, if you are stuck in traffic on your monday morning commute in Tehran, you wouldn't say, "gently caress traffic!", you'd say, "Death to traffic!" It isn't actually saying that you want to kill something, in much the same way that I don't want to copulate with something.

Look man, of course they want to kill us all! It's the same way that I wish eternal torment in the fires of hell upon every traffic light that dares to block my way.

It's rather funny to me how casually we use the word drat. Do other countries call us out on that in the same way that we repeat the whole "DEATH TO _____" thing?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Anubis posted:

As an honest to God home gardener, I'm pretty sure I could buy truffles at a lower per pound price than the tomatoes I grow some years.

Yeah, home gardening really isn't going to make anyone rich, or save a hell of a lot of money. Especially for a poor family where asking for $10-$20 to set up a very small operation is quite a bit, it can take weeks or months for you to see a return on investment, if you ever see one at all.

That being said, it can be worth it to grow certain things, like herbs. Rosemary grows quickly, is easy to take care of, and adds a lot of flavor to food, and is perfect for a home garden. Several other herbs are similar and can make a cheap home-cooked meal (dark meat chicken comes to mind) much more palatable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Radish posted:

The only real benefit to facts that disprove conservative common sense is that you can peal the onion layers off until you get to the real argument (that they just want to gently caress over people they don't like).

Yeah, but it's enormously beneficial to make them admit it, especially if other people are around.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Prism posted:

But... that still isn't bad. Or shouldn't be, anyhow.

But you see, they're poor because they don't work hard despite working a worse job for longer hours and less than a third the pay. Also I'm not rich even though I clearly work hard because reasons.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Woah never seen a D&D goon advocate so hard for the poor that they decry the functional equivalent of a rice cooker as too bourgoisie. nice

It's not that stews and such are too bourgoisie, as it is that it's difficult to enjoy the same stew for three or four days in a row no matter how good you are at cooking (hell, especially if you're good at cooking and enjoy variety in your food). It's cheap, it's efficient, it makes fantastic meals, but it can be boring to eat if repeated too much.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

There is nothing you retards won't nitpick to death, is there?

"Hey, it's possible to make actual meals even if you're lazy and cheap. Soylent has no excuse"

"Um, er, excuse me, not everyone can afford tupperware to store leftovers. Check your privilige."
:goonsay:

Oh, Soylent has absolutely no excuse. If anything, it'd be even worse than eating the same stew all week. It's also entirely possible to make smaller stews more often to vary things up, but this comes at the cost of either less fresh ingredients or more frequent store trips (which is either not a big deal, such as in my case where the store is on the way home from work, or a big deal if the store is in the wrong direction).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

inkblot posted:

Literally the Principal Skinner "No, it's the children who are wrong!" joke from the Simpsons, only serious.

This is true of the Freshman class typically, given that they're right out of high school. After another few years of education and experiences with people outside of their little bubble, they learn a lot and become much less close-minded. A good macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Well they have a point - police brutality is bad for everyone, even if it is worse for non-white people. Race is a smaller component of the larger problem, police militarization and lack of accountability.

It does conflate two separate issues, yeah. Minorities are treated disproportionately poorly by the police and are responded to more harshly.

Police are also more militarized, which does affect everyone, but affects minorities more often because they're the ones who see the harshest treatment.

Any solution does have to recognize that there are at least two separate problems at play. Police need to be trained to not go after minorities more often, and to be held accountable for their actions. Police also need to have their shiny toys taken away so that they're not tempted to roll out armored vehicles for use against fellow civilians. If they ever need armored vehicles, the National Guard exists for a reason.