Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For that guy who had the sister in trouble and her mom thought all people on welfare were freeloaders, have her try the following game: http://playspent.org/ (linked in LF a while ago, but I don't think it's made the rounds in D&D before). I made it to like day 8 before losing.

I think it's a bit more effective to have someone watch the first episode of 30 Days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Soonmot posted:

I had shared some meme about Sweden requiring employers give paternity leave to fathers and a friend, who is normally kind, generous and compassionate, yet is still a raging libertarian responds with "maybe this is why Sweden has 25% unemployment for workers in their 20's."

Now, I'm not rising to the bait, but that's a strawman, right? What the hell does that have to do with employment?

Actually it's among people 15-25, not 20-30. In other words, high school and college students. The employment rate for teenagers in the US is about the same, around 24%. The BLS goes 19 and younger, then 20-30. If they sampled 15-25 together, it would likely still be the same as Sweden.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

quote:

>>>>> If a Republican is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
>>>>> If a Democrat is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

The irony of this one is that Log Cabin Republicans are the ones that got DADT repealed.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

greatn posted:

Not really. I don't know why this meme became so popular.

Because it isn't a "meme". Their lawsuit was the most significant challenge to the law prior to the congressional repeal.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

LoveMeDead posted:

They were also all men and white. So ban all white men from buying guns.

The VT shooter was a Korean national.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Hitch posted:

This lovely "gem" showed up in my inbox today:

What exactly do these people think Obama has done for unions during his presidency? Every single notable union-related legislation in the past five years has been at the state level.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Google apparently hasn't even made an Easter-related doodle since 2000.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Fart Sandwiches posted:

:stare:

There is no responding to this. Only unfriending.

It's really bizarre how people can say these sorts of things and still claim that there is no comparison to anti-Semitism and racism. The mental gymnastics are incredible.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Anniversary posted:

Also the generic if we didn't have the world's highest corporate tax rate more companies would reinvest their profits in themselves or something. (Though if they just invested the money in themselves and never called it profits wouldn't the money have been taxed differently anyways? Or is that just me being totally ignorant to corporate tax law.)

You're pretty much right. If you're using money from your income on the business itself, that literally isn't profit. It's an expense, and it isn't taxed. Businesses are taxed after all expenses, on net profit.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

But then I noticed this post in my timeline like 30 minutes later. From the same guy who called me "liberal scum" when his team scored a goal on me during a hockey game (that we won). I want to post a smarmy response, but I dunno if I wanna open the can of worms. Its amost certainly directed at me.

When they succeed and other businesses fail, it's the free market in action. When their own business is failing, it's because of those drat dirty liberals.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Ugh why do you say I'm hateful and intolerant when I talk about things that I hate and don't tolerate?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

AShamefulDisplay posted:

drat negroes and their CRap music! :argh:

Didn't Wal-Mart use to only sell censored albums?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

zoux posted:

I told my grandpa one time that the debt has increased under every Republican president since Reagan, and he just flat out refused to believe me.

And it started to level during the Clinton years.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

seiferguy posted:

Hmm... I'm not quite sure what to make of this one.

Sexism and racism are no big deal guys!

This goes back to the "the worst racial epithet you can call a white person is 'racist'" thing. Racists and sexists don't actually care about being called assholes.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

CitizenKain posted:

Anandtech used to be a fun place to troll libertarians back in 2008, but lately it's gone full on rightwing. One person on there wrote up a full on "why black people are violent thugs" bio truths thing, and the thread only got shutdown after about 6 pages. The moderation there is non-existent for the most part, the handful of mods that do patrol the forum are generally just as bad anyway.

The thing is, the Off topic forum is even worse.

DailyTech (their sister site for non-hardware news) has always seemed to have a right-wing bent to me.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

KKKLIP ART posted:

Things that make me irrationally mad today:

Because the Jews and other groups that got sent to concentration camps really had a say in the day to day politics of Germany in the 20s-40s. This is from the same shitbag family member who always posts this poo poo and I just wipe my hands because they are beyond rational thinking. Also jpg artifacts.

Especially since non-Nazi parties were banned in 1933, and Jews stripped of German citizenship in 1935 with forced emigration shortly thereafter.

Totally like these babies simply not getting their way.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Fulchrum posted:

Is there any way that this is theoretically possible? That a stable town would not have enough money in the local economy to pay everyone a livable wage?

A stable small town is generally predicated on large businesses like factories and not franchised chain restaurants. You can't have a Wendy's without the steel mill workers frequenting it.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
If you guys want a source you can use on them for the fact that the driver, Michael Jones, was in fact white, even TownHall.com confirmed it with the police chief.

Also, the one who actually pulled the trigger, Luna, has a white mother.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 22, 2013

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

ponzicar posted:

The anti GMO stuff isn't always tied to political beliefs. Of all the things my cousin and his wife share on Facebook, roughly half are conservative tea party bullshit seen often in this thread, and the other half are anti GMO, pro organic food, or health tips from some quack MD with a bestselling book.

I take my dog to a "holistic" veterinarian. Their practice is fantastic at traditional medicine, which is why I go there. However, they offer acupuncture, homeopathy, and all that other nonsense. For cats and dogs.

I started going to him on the recommendation of a friend that interned there in vet school. This friend just informed me a while ago that he apparently has a signed picture of Dubya on his office wall. Apparently this guy is not only into hippie medicine, he's a major Republican donor in the area. :ironicat:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cribbing some notes from way earlier in the thread, I thought I'd try my hand at a Global Warming argument:

(I'm green, other guy is red)

EDIT:
Same guy also posted

Once you've started acknowledging him as being allowed to just make up things and use them in his argument, you've already lost. You conceded that he's allowed to speak on behalf of these third parties, rather than actually have to prove his arguments about their motives.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

EightBit posted:

That's some pretty disingenuous thinking. I knew going into college in 2004 that a degree in Fine Arts or Literature etc. would only be good for landing a rare teaching job; there are also stats available on what students achieve employment relevant to their education after graduation. It's by no means blind, the problem is plenty of people choose to study what interests them without thinking of how they are going to pay off loans.

The stats aren't usually for four years down the road, and even if they are, they are not at all guaranteed. The dot-com bubble only lasted three years, for instance. They only predict what might be hiring based on current trends, not what there will be any shortage of applicants for. We're not talking about people with philosophy degrees, either. For instance, there's currently too many people with law degrees in the US.

That it isn't blind doesn't make it prescient. Stats are based on the past and present, not the future.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

SalTheBard posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a new one

Really, it's just a bunch of old ones, though.

quote:

That all the ills of the economy are due to the fat cat banks and other corporations, and the best way to deal with that is to provide billions in bailouts to the fat cat banks and other corporations.

How in the hell do people not remember that this was in 2008?

quote:

That the federal government with no competition can provide a better health care product than the private sector with competition can.

This one is literally true, as is, though.

Also,

quote:

Obama's college records or for information on his association with a known terrorist is racist.
...a guy with a name that takes phlegm to pronounce.
...black radicals with clubs
The sheer cognitive dissonance in claiming you're not racist while nodding at something that's explicitly racist, is something I'll never understand. People who, back in the day, just didn't comprehend how it was bad to be racist, is something I can actually comprehend. This, I just don't get how it even occurs.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Wapole Languray posted:

[*]No Confederate state documents ever mentioned slavery as a cause of secession.

Where did he find a state document that doesn't list it as the cause?

Besides that it's in the documents of the CSA itself, as everyone else has said, there's also the Cornerstone Speech, where Alexander Stephens said: "Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition".

There's also the fact that the Secession Commissioners, whose task it was to go around speaking to the state legislatures to convince them to secede, explicitly gave slavery as the primary reason.

As far as state documents go, the individual declarations of secession explicitly state it as the reason.

Neptr posted:

I think a lot of History teachers have to emphasize that the Civil War wasn't about freeing slaves, which is probably a common misconception among people who haven't learned about the Civil War. But some people, teachers and students alike, take this a bit too far and say it wasn't about slavery at all, which is just as wrong.

There is no way to over-emphasize the fact that the Civil War was fought over slavery. It is the reason that the south seceded and started fighting. The fact that Lincoln was fighting to keep the union together doesn't overshadow this fact, especially when he made slavery illegal before the war was even over.

Lincoln likely wouldn't have freed the slaves immediately if he could have shortened the war to keep the union together, but it was most certainly an end goal of his. It also doesn't affect the South's reasons for fighting.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 18, 2013

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Dirty Job posted:

I'll never understand the whole "they don't wanna earn it" logic. What does that even mean? Like when people say "a CEO probably puts up with a lot of stress". I knew the former CFO of Colgate and he pulls in a couple million bucks every year just from existing.

It's used because they think it's abstract. However, productivity has measurably gone up since the end of WWII, despite the fact that minimum wage has stagnated since the 1970's.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Considering the population of India, maybe they were just regarding little kids like we regard deer.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

CarterUSM posted:

Literally had someone accuse me of never taking Econ 101 and not knowing how math works.

People who claim something is part of "Econ 101" invariably make an argument that ignores the fact that Econ 101 simplifies every problem, while also sounding like they haven't taken it themselves.

It's bizarre. No one says "you need to take Physics 101!" and gets incredulous about the concept of friction or air resistance.

edit: I didn't even see that Dr. Arbitrary used this same example.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 26, 2013

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VideoTapir posted:

Speaking of TSA, what about outsourced/privatized government services? Do those get shut down?

Civilian defense contractors do get shut down.

quote:

However, civilian Pentagon employees and hundreds of thousands of other federal workers are not so lucky. According to a memo from the Pentagon, "while military personnel would continue in a normal duty status, a large number of our civilian employees would be temporarily furloughed." So would employees in a range of agencies from the IRS to the National Park Service.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

nyquil hangover posted:

I've seen a lot of "BOTH PARTIES ARE EQUALLY AT FAULT!!!" false equivalencies today. I think it's just a way for people to feel like they're smart and politically informed without having to deal with any actual discussion. That, or they watch too much South Park.

I have a friend that blames "Congress, the czars, head of the IRS, AG, Secy of State, VP and POTUS". I don't think he knows what half of those positions actually are, though.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
The "83%" figure comes from an anonymous Republican. The percentage actually comes from, not surprisingly, his rear end. It's not actually "83%" of the government personnel or programs. It's "83%" of money being spent by the government. Including mandatory spending that isn't affected by the CR.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 17, 2013

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

CarterUSM posted:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are a little over 2.6 million full-time employees.

And assuming an initial furlough of 800,000 people (before they started doing piecemeal refunding for high-visibility things that look good to the voters at home), that means that about 31% of all federal employees were sent home.

Of course, this doesn't begin to cover the number of federal contractors whose incomes were affected as well, but the 85% number is wildly overestimated (SURPRISE!).

Several agencies still had enough money to keep running, and many of the ones that weren't furloughed were working without pay. As the debt limit was reached and the shutdown dragged on, that number would have increased. They would still be giving that 83% figure as if it meant anything, because the vast majority of it is mandatory spending, and has nothing to do with personnel numbers.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 17, 2013

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Omglosser posted:

I think my computer is bugged or something, cuz after I found this thread, my crazy email from my parents frequency has dropped by like 95%. When they start to come back I post in here and they quit again for months. At any rate, a new one!

This is actually Thailand.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

That must be the problem here. All of these conservatives were literally just never taught to share by their parents. They are disgusted by the thought of children sharing candy.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Dirty Job posted:

Wait, what? That makes literally zero sense. Why would you ever choose to be worse off overall just so you can be better off than your neighbor?

People don't want more than they have as much as they want more than everyone else has.

And some people don't understand how inflation actually works.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Fandyien posted:

In what world is abstinence more rewarding for teenagers? Save sex is easily a bajillion times more awesome then promise rings or whatever when you're like 17.

Because then the girls stay pure as the driven snow instead of being filthy harlots.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

quote:

So they're agitating for an increase in the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10/hour. But if the minimum wage doesn't cause unemployment, and you *really* care about the poor, why not raise it to $50/hr, or $100/hr, or more??

If any minimum wage at all will cause unemployment, why not decrease everyone's wage to $0? Then everyone will be employed! Genius!

quote:

your employer has to pay about 30% more than your salary in order to keep you employed, between taxes and mandatory unemployment insurance

Has this person ever actually been employed?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Striking Yak posted:

Got this fine example of EDL alternate reality on my Facebook:

Absolutely right, swept under the rug by those hours of live reports and days of discussion afterwards.

I don't even remember who that second guy is.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've never heard of the second one, but even then, why should either of them get a pass?

I'm not sure what fallacy it is, but there seems to be some standard Lazy Political Meme Logic for this. Where you point out two bad things, it makes former worse than the latter if they say it's hypocritical to be apathetic or defensive about the former while condemning the latter.

Top line: "Doesn't hate Al Gore for eating kittens"
Bottom line: "Hates Sarah Palin for eating puppies"

As if somehow that makes eating kittens terrible but still OK to eat puppies. Really it's just a projection of the maker's own hypocrisy on the subject.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Emron posted:

Sounds like tu quoque to me.

That seems to be the case.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Rosalind posted:

Where is it that people aren't saying "Merry Christmas"?

Major retailers. Because that's the entire meaning of Christmas for selfish assholes like this.

These same people who piss and moan if you do anything to even touch Almighty Capitalism, are whining that the very least Christian part of Christmas isn't giving lip service to Christianity by practicing marketing tactics.

Every single one of the people that complain about this is someone's token obnoxious, narcissistic family member.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I keep seeing conservative friends on facebook crying about offedned liberals over this Duck Dynasty poo poo while my liberal friends have just been posting fun party pics and haven't said a word about it.

I culled all the conservatives on my Facebook that post political stuff, so I wouldn't have even known about this if it weren't for the rest of the internet.