Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to get back into photography. I also live in NYC so I've been spending some weekends roaming around looking for people. Definitely handicapped by my technical skills at the moment though, as the two photos below will attest to.

The thing that always gets me is that I feel a little shy about invading people's privacy. If its an event I feel much more comfortable about it. Does anyone else feel that embarrassment with shooting random people? Has anyone been accosted by someone who was pissed you were taking their picture?

Two humble offerings, suggestions more than welcome.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just saw "Hipsters, Hustlers and Handball Players" a Leon Levinstein exhibition at the Met in NYC. He was about as "street photography" as you can get. According to the blurb in the New Yorker I read before I went, he almost never interacted with his subjects, and just roamed the city taking pictures of people for years and years (the photos in the exhibit are from the 50s, 60s and 70s). Dude doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. He also really seemed to like pictures of fat older women. Anyway, I found the whole thing really interesting and if you're in NYC you should stop by the Met and see the exhibition.

Older fat woman as promised:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

scotty posted:

Had some fun around Brooklyn today, first time really bothering people with a camera:

I can't get the last picture to scan/edit accurately.

Real diverse subject matter, I know.

I can't believe the people you chose to bother, of all the people in New York, were the most insular and unwelcoming of outsiders. Takes serious balls to go traipsing around South Williamsburg photographing Hasidim, IMO.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

35970021.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tween_spirit posted:

Some recent color ones, any input appreciated since there seems to be a bit of that lately.

This is great. It does seem a tad underexposed. I'd play with it a bit to see if you can get her to stand out more.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I like this, but the color is screwed up. His face looks like a zombie's.

Edit: looking at it further it seems like everyone's face is like that, and that the image is a little too blue. If you can get that out while maintaining the desaturated look your film has going it'll be great (I just assumed this is film, if it's not that's great it'll be even easier to manipulate).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Street Photography: Musket Doesn't Like It So Don't Do It

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Street Photography: For People Who Like To Be Condescended To By Musket

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The people who told you to get rid of the kid and the bird were wrong.

Seriously, it's better with the kid (and the bird).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Where's that portrait goon who's really good at photoshop and DMCA take down notices. He needs to be in on this.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yeah, I just don't think he stands out enough. But I literally think a better photo of this man is not possible.

Eh, better separation, and if he had taken two steps to his right and framed the man in the natural frame of the doorway to the tracks.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Not the cops, clouds are white.

Best post ITT

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I want to share some non-terrible street photography:

http://whentosaynothing.com/

(Just to prove that it does exist, and contemporary photographers are still doing it well)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LargeHadron posted:

Just curious, do you know if that's a mixture of new and old photos? Some of them look like they were taken in the early '90s. Anyway, I love the ones of people pointing defiantly at the photographer from inside a car/restaurant. I bet they feel like they won the encounter.

I don't know 100%, but I live in NYC and those all look present day to me.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

person casting a long shadow

Not just a person, multiple people, AND A SKATEBOARDER. Boom.

DSC_0047

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 20, 2018

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

"Street"? That's quite clearly a boardwalk.

Ban this sick filth.

Wait, aren't you the mod

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VomitOnLino posted:

I got nothing..

Edit: Agreed. Now again, with 10% more crop.

Yeah this is beautiful

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is me catching up on this thread:

img555

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 20, 2018

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

That sign is awesome. I'd like to see that reshot with no cars or people.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

99 times out of 100 i'm "in the moment".

Bring an ipod along and listen to music, to tell the rest of the world and the rest of your senses to get hosed.

So you don't use your eyesight?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
People protest to attract attention to a cause. They WANT you to take pictures of them. They are loudly drawing attention to themselves. Don't feel weird, get into the middle of them and start shooting. Though, by middle, I mean among the front part of the protest. I usually find that the middle of protests are pretty boring places though, the front is where the conflict happens (in my experience).

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 5, 2014

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

do you think taste in photography is purely subjective?

Do you mean taste or quality? Of course taste is subjective, it's one person's viewpoint.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

New best post ITT

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

In someones living room. Not street. :colbert:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

The room is in a house on a street.

Do we know that though? It could be in a field. Fields are not streets.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Granny from Oklahoma

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 20, 2018

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Yep, a person sitting inside a shop window (fish in a barrel), not doing anything interesting, with a sign indicating that she actually wants attention. Great capture. Oh yeah, also lots of dead space on the right with nothing at all happening.

Thanks dude :)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
These are all true things. It was from a protest in New York during the summer and I just developed the roll. It was a few blocks away from the protest. I liked the idea of a protestor sitting down for a cup of tea with such an angry sign. I liked the sign.

I probably should have gotten closer, that dead space is lovely, the color is lovely.

All good and true critiques.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I still think deaders is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but that's ok.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Nah not really it is just every time you look at this thread it is people making the same basic mistakes, not sure why I click on it tbh.

Yet you haven't posted a photo here in six months. The thread is blessed by your presence.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 14, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Do you need to regularly post photos to a thread to be able to contribute meaningfully?

If all you want is validation and reassurance that you are special, unique snowflake there are plenty of groups on flickr for that kind of thing.

No, you don't. But when you're a dick about critiquing someone's photos without posting any of your own, it makes that critique harder to take. I don't need to be told I'm a special snowflake, I'd just rather not be condescended to by someone who isn't willing to put himself out there and post photos. poo poo, even Musket posts photos.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Because this thread is bad and you should feel bad for liking it. Also awkward davies' photo owns but deaders' crit is perfectly valid (even though he doesn't like it for the exact reasons I do like it).

Like I said, his crit was totally valid and he's right. He was just a dick about it, and he hasn't posted photos in this thread for six months.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ok I'm shutting up about it now. Deaders gave crit and the way in which he did it annoyed me but it's an internet forum and I should be less of a babby. Moving on. Here's a picture of some trash for this thread of garbage.

Greenpoint, Brooklyn

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 20, 2018

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

My tone was pretty dickish but it was a fair critique. I post photos in this forum regularly, click the "?" under my name to see them.

I don't post many photos in this thread because a) I don't shoot much "street" and b) I carefully self edit to weed out all of the garbage shots that I take.

That said, I do enjoy good street photography (which is about 0.1% of the genre currently posted online) so check in on this thread sometimes to see what people are sharing. Occasionally it makes me a bit mad, which is dumb but hey that's my issue, to see people posting the same old crap with bored people in a boring setting doing something boring which means that sometimes I post a snarky critique.

So, as someone who is familiar with some of the good street photography that is out there and has a feel for what makes a compelling shot, do my critiques add value to the thread even though I don't post street photos? Obviously they should do as long as people are actually interested in improving as photographers and don't just want to be told that they are the bastard love child of Robert Frank and Mary Ellen Mark and an unappreciated genius.

I think critiques add value. Like I keep saying, the essence of your critique was valid. The way you delivered it made accepting it difficult.

deaders posted:

That's just to weed out the babies who don't actually want a critique

"I'm a dick to make sure that people listen to me".

How does that make sense?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Good garbage posting

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I like this

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Look at the photos by the people making sarcastic comments about art. Then look at the photos by the other people. Make your own judgement.

I'd look at your photos if you ever posted them in this thread :/

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pukestain Pal posted:

Can we insert ourselves into the scene until the Landscape thread?

Shadows by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Sorry it's not a street photo if you're in it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Musket posted:

Backs of heads or something.

Sup musket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is street, no?