Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Snaily posted:

While good street photography is very good, there are also a lot of people running around doing street photography because it seems easy, slightly disruptive, lets you flash your expensive camera, and gives artistic credibility.

The same argument can be made for the horrible fad of selectively desaturating photos so only the subject is in color, which is something I've very seldom seen done well.

I imagined the intersection of these would be bigger by now.

e: intersection, not union

Look at me attempt to call people out :rolleyes:

dunno posted:

I'm really happy to see this thread.

I don't try to shoot much street these days. Its a lot of work to find the combination of great light and a decent concentration of people to photograph that won't avert their eyes or whatever around these parts. Even when I do manage straight street photos I find I'm always too quick to hit the shutter and the composition often suffers.

Excuses aside, and though they are certainly un-Winogrand or Meyerowitzish, here are a few photos that I've taken and like that I think can certainly technically qualify as street:

I think these are nice, but with the first two, especially, you are shooting a lot of backs-of-heads. Just doesn't make a strong image like the other way 'round might.

Reichstag posted:

From yesterday:

Not exactly how I visualized it before releasing the shutter, so I don't know if I like it or not.

Obviously I don't know what you were thinking in your head when you shot it, but to me, it just feels somewhat lacking when measured as a traditional street photo. There's nothing about the woman or the scene to really justify it to me as an interesting scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
Sometimes color suits an image better than black and white, I find.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 20, 2019

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

sandmaniac posted:

general question: why do you people shoot street? why do you like it, why do you think it's worth doing, what's special about it?

Beyond photography for profit, that has a specified aim and goals that meet a commercial or other need, photography is simply art, largely practiced for the benefit of the person producing it and those who are interested in viewing it. Street photography is no different than landscape photos or portraits or anything, really, with regards to its benefits to the photographer. If you want to know why people do it, I think Twenties Superstar covered that fairly well.

It's also just fun.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
The compression in particular is why people talk about telephoto being a bad idea for street/candid. It makes the subject distant and separates them from the viewer, rather than involving the viewer in the image. Much of street photography seeks to replicate a 'normal' view rather than relying on the way that a lens makes a particular scene look and a telephoto keeps you from doing that.

Obviously it's not impossible to do interesting street photography with a long lens. But many beginners are going to fall back on telephoto as a crutch and use it just because they don't want to get closer, not because they are seeking particular ways that their gear makes the image look.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I think Sunday is the day that all the cosplayers go to have their photo taken on that bridge that connects harajuku and yoyogi park. Should be some cool stuff to snap there.

The problem is that Sunday is also the most popular day to visit so the whole area is just mobbed with people. I always found Harajuku way too crowded for much photography on weekends. Fortunately you can always go twice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

squidflakes posted:

I'm going to be there for two weeks so I imagine there will be at least a couple of opportunities. Its also going to be Golden Week so I imagine the mob of people is going to be that much more intense.

Considering that it’s like New Years, Christmas, Labor Day, and Memorial Day rolled into a single week of wall-to-wall train cars and shoving crowds? Yes, most definitely more intense.