Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
There's a huge part of me that doesn't mind the live-view wildfire sweeping through the camera world right now. I'm kind of chalking it up as the second coming of the waist-level finder. When I was a kid, everyone squinted into tiny little viewfinders in their cameras. But when my parents were kids, people didn't. We've come full circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Soulex posted:

Doesn't matter. Essentially what I do is show up to a party for the bride. I arrive, big hoopla, and much drinking ( holy gently caress do these people drink). At about 2am I am expected to leave and throw my own party later on that day.

Albanians drink a lot. They don't make one toast. They toast you, your dad, your mom, your hope for kids, your grandma, etc.

Sounds a lot like a Polish wedding. If those similarities continue, there will be a lot of tiny fingerfood served with the booze; much of it pickled. Eat that poo poo, it will keep you sane.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Quick question, y'all. I shot a family reunion type thing for my family last week. I'd love to put the photos up online somewhere in a gallery that let people order prints directly. I'm not looking to make any money off of this, just for a streamlined ordering process. Zenfolio and the like all seem to give me the $120/year options for that sort of functionality, which would be fine if I were running a business -- but I'm not. Anyone know of something that might work for this personal use-wise?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Huh, for some reason, I thought Smugmug only allowed commerce on their expensive plans, turns out they do it on the cheap stuff, too. Thank you!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

I remember watching a different episode of Frasier where Martin pulls out a Bronica SQ at some event like a wake or something, he doesn't muck around with snapshots.

That does look to be a Bronica, with a WLF, a flash mounted to an arm on the tripod socket, and possibly an instant/sheet film back.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

TheCameraStoreTV does pretty good camera reviews, basically digitalrev without the euphemisms.

They've hinted they at doing educational clips in the future.

Agreed, I think they're great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCameraStoreTV

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a photographer whose name I can't remember. He did a series of portraits in the back of what I believe was a truck. The roll door of the truck was open, so you could see the landscape outside, with the subject just inside. The photographer shot wide enough that you saw not just the scenery around the truck, but the inside of the truck as well, including the lights all set up; it was a very cool framing device. Any idea who this was?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Fragrag posted:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you would have remembered it was set in Iraq, but by any chance is it Ben Lowy's pictures of Iraq?

Nope! He was shooting environmental set-up portraits in like a U-Haul truck around the US.

It's been digging in my head for weeks because I have a fantasy of doing something like this, but I don't want to rip the guy off too closely. So now I need to find the work again so that I know what bits of it in my head are original. I think I saw it referenced on Strobist, but I can't seem to find it. (Not that I'd ever really be able to afford doing it anyway)

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

This is really good, thanks.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Pablo Bluth posted:

100mp medium format camera. Time to dig around for change down the back of the sofa...

The bigger news here to me is that it's (reasonably close to) a full 645 frame. I wonder if I'll get a digital 6x7 before I die...

iSheep posted:

Did the sliders to the right photographer exist during the days of the darkroom?

See: Lillian Bassman who went apeshit with dodging/burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Am I the only dorkroomer in NYC? This place is just crawling with people.