Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Aside from switch choice, what are the tradeoffs between the CODE Keyboard and the Das Keyboard 4? I'm willing to pay around that price point for a mechanical keyboard if they're quality, but it'll be my first mechanical keyboard I'll own (I've used them before and enjoyed them) and it would be nice to know any personal experiences/frustrations people have had with either, or if I could get something something similar feature and quality for cheaper (media controls but no other fancy /functions, numpad included, no crazy macro keys, ANSI layout). Customer service/return policy is a huge plus as well, in case things don't work out for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

pokecapn posted:

What options are out there for tenkeyless with browns? I'm leery of going with Cooler Master, since mine breaking after the warranty period is the reason why I'm in the market again.

Das now sells TKL keyboards with Browns (I think they went on sale today, in fact).

I ended up buying a CODE with Clears from Amazon, trying it out, then returning it because a few of its backlights were broken, then ordering a Das 4 Professional with Browns to see how it compares (which I'm using to type right now!) My impressions and comparisons:

- The CODE Clears seemed WAY quieter, I don't know if this is because Clears naturally are or because of the higher actuation force prevents me from bottoming out as much, which ties into my next point...
- Browns are definitely too mushy for my taste. I don't do any sort of exercise that I could attribute to strong fingers, but I'm having a lot of difficulty maintaining a light enough touch not to bottom out when I'm casually typing.
- The Das spacebar has a pretty nasty habit of making a loud clunking sound when I bottom it out - I don't know if this is related to it having a different stablizer than the CODE or what, but I don't remember having the issue when I was still fiddling with the CODE.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

chippy posted:

That said, if I'm playing some FPS I prefer the Browns still. But for coding and general typing, Clears win by a mile.

Yeah, my main worry is gaming on the Clears (I mostly play CSGO casually nowadays), but I think I'll just deal, or maybe even play less which is probably a good thing.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Do they make code clears in tenkeyless?

Yup.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Been using the CODE Tenkeyless for the better part of the past week and I'll probably be keeping it forever. MX Clears are the perfect weight for me, and I didn't experience any serious finger fatigue playing CS:GO. My only complain is that some of the keycaps seem...loose? The bigger keys like Backspace and Shift can be rocked left and right and emit a little clicking sound, probably from contact with the stablizer. Has anyone experienced/been able to fix this?

Would definitely recommend this keyboard over the Das 4.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The only lighting inconsistencies I've noticed is due to the LED/key imprint offset.

All of the CODE Keyboard LEDs are located at the top center of the keys, but not all the key imprints offset to that same place - the letters' imprints are located at the top left of the keycap, whereas the function keys' are top center, right above the actual LED. This leads to slightly inconsistent lighting on some of the letter keys (notice that the left side of each letter imprint is a little less well lit than the right side). It hasn't bothered me though.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

chippy posted:

Yo CODE owners, is the left LED indicator (out of the two underneath the PrtSc/ScrLk/Pause cluster) meant to be caps lock? If so, I've just noticed mine doesn't work! Do any of the DIP switches affect it?

Yes, and Yes - one of the DIP switches can make Caps Lock act as CTRL isntead.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

zenless posted:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com
Ebay
Massdrop?
geekhack?

Any other good resources to check out to shop at?

Honestly, check out the Mechanical Keyboard subreddit, they got a whole wiki with links to vendors and keyboard recommendations for given price ranges. Also, check out some sound comparisons between Cherry MX switches before you buy any of them - there are a few comparisons on Youtube.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Neurostorm posted:

I'm in need of a new keyboard, and after reading this thread I want to try out a mechanical one for the first time! I'm really intrigued by the Infinity ErgoDox on massdrop right now. I have a few questions though if you guys have any input:

1) I've never done any soldering work (or really any electrical stuff). Will that make this too difficult a project? I think I have access to a soldering iron + maybe a friend who could help, but I don't want to accidentally destroy a $200 keyboard
2) For the keycaps, since they are extra on massdrop I was thinking of instead just getting those granite keys (assuming those fit?). Would I just need to base set + the ergodox expansion? or are there others as well I should pick up?
3) If I don't end up going with the ergodox, the local microcenter has a ducky zero shine for $120 and a ducky shine 3 for $170. Are those reasonable keyboards and/or prices? Or do people have other suggestions (if I go non-ergodox I'll probably do a full keyboard. Also looking for MX browns or blues)?

Thanks!

Going from non-mechanical to an ergodox with mechanical switches you've never touched before is a really big step. If microcenter's return policy is nice, I would honestly recommend buying and trying out one of the ducky shines for a full day before you pull the trigger on an ergodox. Mechanical keyboards have quieter switches like the Browns and Clears but they're louder and different enough from most rubber dome/scissor-switch keyboards that you definitely want to hear/experience one for more than in a few minutes in a showcase/exhibit. You can't return the ergodox after you've assembled it I don't think, and you'll be out at least $240 since you also need to buy the keycaps that are included (or the Granite set you mentioned, which is even more expensive). Mechanical keyboards are great and everyone in this thread obviously loves them, but it would suck to be that much money in the hole for something you never fully tried and liked in the first place.

That said, to answer your questions:
1) Reportedly there is only one "kind" of soldering you're doing and it's dead simple. They bill it as easy even if you've never touched a soldiering gun before, and no one seems to have disagreed in the forums.
2) Yes, you would need to buy the Granite's base set + the ergodox expansion as I understand it, but keep in mind that due to how compact the ergodox is, you'll be hitting function keys in order to input symbols (!, ?, +, -, etc) and those won't be marked on whatever custom keycaps you order. The point of blank keycaps is you can customize the function keys that you hold down to access symbol output and that you can configure those mappings however you like, and you won't need to move your keycaps around at all.
3) Those are perfectly fine keyboards, but you might find better deals ordering online. Check out the mechanicalKeyboard subreddit for a more up to date buying guide for certain price ranges. Blues and Browns are popular switch choices, but try them out in person or listen to sound comparisons on youtube.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Deviant posted:

Sure, but I'm still paying extra for it, eh?

The WASD v2 is about the same cost, assuming you get a switch type that isn't Green or Clears (they charge extra for those on the v2), plus the CODE comes with the dipswitches and media/volume keys. AFAIK the only advantage of the v2 over the CODE is if you want switches that aren't Clear or Green and you want to customize your keycap colors - otherwise, I think they're identical. Also, both the 87 and 104-key CODEs are orderable via Amazon at times.

Disclaimer: I own an 87-key CODE and am incredibly satisfied with it. My friend hated how hard Clears were to push and ordered her own v2 in crazy custom colors with Browns, and is also incredibly satisfied with hers.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

:dogbutton:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the deal with blank keys anyway? I'm seeing this a lot here and other places. I mean I understand it's a personal taste thing but is this some kind of mechanical keyboard -> blank keys mindset culture with people who like mechanical keyboards?

- Culture/mindset like you said
- They don't ever look at the keys anyhow, some people switch between keyboard layouts like Dvorak/QWERTY/Workman
- Some keyboards (Ergodox, some of the Poker models IIRC) are actually programmable so you can remap symbols and things like the arrow keys and pg up/down to combinations of a special modifier + another key. That makes legend'd keycaps misleading.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

Does Das still use Cherry switches? I heard they switched to the Chinese knock-offs (without lowering their prices)

TKL Das Keyboards use knockoffs, but the 4's are still Cherry IIRC.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

taqueso posted:

Yeah, they aren't perfectly evenly lit, keys like -/_ and '/" are dimmer and are on my other one, too. Seems to be the keys that have the transparent part farther from the LED. But, at least all the lights are white, and not green or yellow tinted.

On my own CODE, this is less noticable to me on my if I boost the backlighting to the two highest brightnesses, but then it's distractingly bright even during daytime use. It doesn't bother me that parts of the legends aren't well lit when it's set to a lower brightness at all though

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I'm going to be going on a trip with friends. This trip is going to include a lot of driving, including through the night, and I'm afraid my favorite keyboard (Poker 2 with Greens) is going to be way, way too loud in a car.

So, I'm looking for a preferably 60%, but I could settle for a TKL, with Clears. Since I'll probably only use it for this trip, I don't want to spend a ton on it -- any suggestions from TKL users? I've never had a TKL, only 60%s, so I honestly have no idea.

Backlit preferred, but I can work with whatever.

CODE TKL has clears and backlighting. Dunno much about 60%s, maybe cruise Massdrop for models and look for other, more immediate retailers?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Wapole Languray posted:

How are DasKeyboards considered nowadays?

IMO, kind of expensive for what you get, and they don't offer many switch choices. Their TKL model doesn't even use Cherry MX switches either. I think that Cooler Master and Ducky have way more variety in switch choice, size/layout, and niceties (backlighting, media controls, etc), and at a much better price point. I bought a Das 4 with browns to try out as my first keyboard, and I found it too mushy and way too bulky - the aluminum of the case stuck out a lot from the sides of the keyboard.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Wapole Languray posted:

Ah thought so. Having a nightmare finding a Brown-switch TKL with some more usb ports. Oh well.

Ah. Extra USB ports on a keyboard are going to be rough to find - off the top of my head, I can't name another manufacturer besides the Das that does it.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

taqueso posted:

For browns, I think a WASD (no backlight but you can customize the key colors) or CODE (backlit) would be a good choice. To get the keys real quiet, you will want to add o-rings (0.4mm is my preference) and apply a bit of grease to the stabilizers on the wider keys so they don't rattle.

I'm not sure where to try them out in Seattle - maybe at Fry's

CODEs don't come in browns - only greens and clears I'm wrong, shoulda double checked.

For other cheap brands, look at Rosewill, CoolerMaster, and as earlier said Monoprice.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Are there 60% keyboards with Filco/Costar stabilizers? Pok3rs look like they only have Cherry style ones

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Marzzle posted:

For stuff like coding, how do the 60% boards with no arrow keys work out? Usually when I am working on stuff I use the arrow keys to move up and down lines even though I know there's combo hotkeys in emacs/terminal etc to do the same stuff. Do you just get used to constantly hitting combos (or just the fn+direction stuff) to move around a document? They look pretty slick but I would imagine the constant key combos would sorta impact your productivity (Though I've never used one in person).

I think the intent and allure is that since you can use hotkeys in Emacs/Terminal/Vim for navigation, you seldom if ever need to use the arrow keys. When I was working as a coder a lot of my coworkers had tags/marks setups in Vim (or the equivalent in Emacs) for navigation within a file, and/or wrote code in CLI Vim/Emacs so they never needed to leave the terminal. Some went another step and set a Vim/Emacs mode so in their shell so a lot of the same keybindings for their favorite editor worked similarly in the CLI.

I asked earlier, but I didn't see any answers: are there any 60% keyboards with Costar/wire stabilizers? I'm interested in 60%s too I hate how Cherry stabilizers make the spacebar feel.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 4, 2015

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

prom candy posted:

I do web dev, not that much consistent number-typing. I can see how a keypad would be important for a lot of jobs though. Regardless I work in a big open office so I don't know if getting a mechanical keyboard here would be welcomed.

<echinopsis> alpha up and get blues no o-rings :getin: </echinopsis>

Someone in my former open office had a Kinesis with Browns and it didn't bother anyone, YMMV depending on coworkers/culture though. No one took calls on the floor, for example

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Michymech posted:

So I'm not sure if this the place to ask or not but due to my GF threatening to beat me to death with my Blackwidow 2013 ultimate edition keyboard, I need a replacement, however i have no idea what to go for.

I really love the feel of using this one and I was hoping that there was another keyboard out there that has a nice click feel with out inducing homicidal feeling in your loved ones while you use it

Something with reds maybe? Blues are a relatively "unique" feel compared to most other cherry switches. Reds have the linear feel without that faint tactile response and loud click after actuation, IIRC.

But I'd caution you that some people just aren't going to deal with mechanical keyboards. My friends and roommate noticed the difference between a rubber dome and mechanical keyboard (Cherry Clears, which don't even bottom out that often) immediately but didn't mind it. But it also kept my parents up when I had it in their place. O-rings might help but, you will always be at mercy to your environment.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Dogen posted:

What's the verdict on those for replacing key caps, worth it? Do they just feel different?

Different feeling and height/profile of the keys can make typing feel different or more smooth. I have SA profile keys which are much shorter in height than normal ones and I like it a lot more, but I don't know if it's worth the $60 bucks I paid for.

Some keycaps are also a lot thicker than stock, which could mean less sound/pinging from your keyboard, but I didn't notice that much of a difference.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

pr0zac posted:

SA keys are higher in height than all other key profiles?

Whoops- meant DSA

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

frogbs posted:

Ugh, that's basically perfect, but I just dont know if i'll ever be able to live without dedicated arrow keys. Do you have to hold down FN while you use WASD? Can you map the arrows to another key cluster, like right alt/ctrl/shift?

Edit:

I think my ideal board would basically be a backlit version of the Leopold F660M, which I guess doesn't exist?

Second edit:

Is it super unethical to order the Pok3r and return it if I don't like it? Not sure if Amazon will accept something that's been opened?

I ordered Das and a full sized CODE before returning both and buying a CODE TKL with clears from Amazon. You might eat a restocking/shipping fee or two but it's probably your best bet if you can't access them any other way to try them out.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Why is wireless dumb? Are there similar, wireless + metal boards? Hard to justify spending that much on something made of hard black plastic.

There's just not as much of a demand for wireless keyboards from buyers. I'd estimate the audience to be at least 80% gamers/programmers who are confined to a workstation and don't move around much, or aren't invested in cutting cords out of their life. I can't think of another big reason why they would NEED wireless capability.

As for a metal case, it doesn't necessarily mean better. Some (all?) Das models have metal cases but they're also designed poorly (the edges of the case stick out way farther than they need to), in general they've had poorer QC than usual lately, and their newest model stopped using the switch brand you expect for its price point. It's not a synonym for quality. I can't even think of another "quality" board with a metal case that comes stock

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

I have a problem

help

POK3R and a CODE/WASD? How do you like the POK3R in comparison? I own a CODE w/ Clears and am seriously considering getting a POK3R once I find work as either my work or home board.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

FWIW I really like my Granite set on my CODE. It's equal parts the profile (much lower than the stock keycaps or the Tai-hao set I also bought on Massdrop) and the color scheme. I'll post a (lovely) photo later tonight.

EDIT:

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 14, 2016

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Once you go Topre you can't stopre.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Wait, like wait on Massdrops?

No, he means buy them and wait until June.

Super fancy keycap sets like the ones you linked are almost exclusively sold in the manner Massdrop sells them - the week or two long period where people can purchase them, and the long 1-3 month wait for them to be manufactured and shipped. Sometimes they don't even start production until the buying period is closed, even if they meet the minimum number necessary for the buy to "succeed" a day after the sale. Keycaps are a luxury niche within the already small niche of mechanical keyboards, so it's hard for manufacturers to justify cranking out sets of expensive plastic where there is little demand. Sucks, but it's how the market is right now.

Alternatively you can try eBay for used keycaps.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

EDIT: ^ oh hey - I've got Granites on my CODE in the photo below.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This may be a dumb question, but what would an illuminated code keyboard with a custom set of keycaps look like? Would the light leak through enough to be visible a bit? Or would it just look like poo poo?

Not great.

I keep it off.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Eh, that looks ok. How functional is it in the dark though?

Max backlight brightness, screen off

Max backlight brightness, screen on

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

browns and reds are too loud my coworkers are very sensitive lads. And no matias. I had one of their boards and it was garbage which is why I'm not willing to spend any real money on something that's just gonna break in a year or two.

Have you looked into o-ring silencers? If you don't want to drop Topre money they just might make browns/reds bearable for your poor false membrane idol worshipping coworkers.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

I thought CODES/WASDs did that?

Nope. CODEs have switches on the back that enable/disable backlights and media controls as well as Dvorak and Colemak modes, but no macros.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Does the Ducky have software configuration? I really don't like fiddling with the whole "press keys to configure" thing; that was a pain in the dick on the Pokers I owned.

It is pretty much my only complaint with the POK3R I have. I wonder if they'll ever support software configurations...

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

I am looking for a keyboard I don't think exists yet.

-Cherry MX Switches (no China brand switches)
-TKL with function row
-standard key sizes (this eliminates the Corsair K65, which would otherwise be what i'm looking for)
-plate mounted switches (i think this is the correct term?)

This is basically what i'm looking for, except it doesn't exist anymore.

https://www.amazon.ca/FlashGet-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Cherry-Switch/dp/B00MS3ZWIW

near as I can figure no one makes a keyboard like this.

CODE TKL? WASD v2 TKL? Ducky One? KUL ES-87? This is pretty bog standard

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I just received in my code with clears and absolutely love it. It's built extremely well.

I just convinced a coworker to buy one by bringing in my own. It took him about an hour to jump onto the WASD website and buy, and he already owns a mech or two. They're really solid, even to people with experience with mechs apparently.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

pr0zac posted:

I solved this on a couple sets of keycaps by putting small pieces of tissue paper in between the cap and the stabilizer support.

this seems super janky but it works pretty well

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Audax posted:

I believe so (according to keyboardtester.com they show up as numpad numbers).

This is what it looks like next to my Pok3r. I guess the only weird thing is the top row of it has brackets/tab/etc. But I think those keys can be useful.

I don't notice a difference between the numpad and my poker with blues.

P.S. I reiterate, don't get white keycaps.

why do you have 3 mice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Could I get a recommendation for a keyboard with the following features:

full size
cherry blues
wireless if possible, wired if not
UK layout if possible, US if not

FYI, I am in the UK.

Offhand, I know CODE/WASDv2s come in the ISO layout, with blue switches as an option. They're based in California though, so shipping will probably suck if they even do it internationally (might have luck with Amazon though).

• Locked thread