Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Lenovo have started another survey, this time to see exactly how much interest there is in a wireless version of the ThinkPad keyboard. I know I've seen people asking why they didn't make it wireless in the first place, so here's your chance to change their minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

ufarn posted:

Have you actually used the ThinkPad keyboards? I'm reading widespread complaints about problems with capitalization

Yeah, I have one of these newer ThinkPad keyboards and have that problem often. In fact, just had it typing "THinkPad". I'm still using it for the utility of the trackpoint, though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Echo_ posted:

I was just about to buy this, but the Amazon reviews say the shift key is sluggish in the sense that when you Capitalize STuff, it capitalizes two letters. Does anyone here have it and can comment on it?

Mine did that for the first month then in broke in or something, doesn't do it anymore. I like having the trackpoint but right after I bought it Firefox updated and broke support for scrolling with it :saddowns: It still works in everything else, I don't know what Firefox's problem is. There's even a hack for it in about :config that doesn't work anymore.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you actually want it to be portable you may want to find a device similar to the N52 that isn't so bulbous and oddly shaped. It's comfortable to use for extended periods of time but won't fit nicely in any bag.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Stop being a cave dwelling mole creature and put a soft lamp in a spot where it doesn't cause glare. It makes looking at a monitor for hours easier anyway. Your eyes will thank you.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

TLG James posted:

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.221675100/categoryId.35156900

Any reviews on this baby?

edit: not really sure if that's what I want. I was just wondering if anyone has ever come up with a solution for games where you want the precision of a gamepad's thumbstick but the ability to use a mouse.
That's not an analog stick on the side, it's a D-Pad with a tumor. I have the Belkin version of it and don't use it for games, but it's GREAT for Photoshop, 3DS Max or anything else that's hotkey intensive.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

vitari posted:

Newegg is having a sale on the Rosewill mechanical keyboards if anyone was looking for one -- $64 with free shipping. Here is a link to the slickdeals post:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/80164/

"This product cannot be shipped to IL, NC and NY." :argh:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

chippy posted:

Yeah I have no idea why you wouldn't do that, seems totally logical to use opposite hands to me. Although to be fair I just don't use my right hand modifier keys at all, they might as well not be there. I'm trying to train myself to start using both but I don't really have any motivation to since my typing speed is already pretty high.

It's not just about speed. It ends up being more comfortable in the long run if you learn to do it. You don't have to shift your fingers to make up for your pinkie being tied up on the letter typing hand. Typing for hours at a stretch, it's one of those little things that adds up. If you don't have a job or hobby that involves loads of writing it probably doesn't matter.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Everybody probably sticks to their favorite keys naturally unless you somehow managed to give a poo poo about keyboarding form as a child. I started forcing myself to use alternate sides to try it out and liked it. On the scale of things you can do to make typing easier it's pretty low though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

New Quickfire Rapids don't have any of that poo poo anymore.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

That's the model with red switches/back plate and black case. The other switches still come with a gray case. There's still lots of branded back stock out there though. Supposedly ordering directly from CM's store is the best way to get one, but I don't hate the branding quite enough to bother trying to get one.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

For those of you who bang the hell out of your keys I just found out CM is selling a a board with Cherry MX Green switches. According to Deskthority, Greens are equal to or heavier than buckling springs. Also the board doesn't look like it came out of 1990, if you don't dig the retro look. You can also see the product shots on that page don't have the branding on.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

According to Deskthority,
Reds are a linear switch that takes 45 cN.
Browns are a tactile bump switch that takes 45 cN.
Blues are a clicky switch that takes 50 cN.
Blacks are a linear switch that takes 60 cN.
Greens are a clicky switch that takes 80 cN.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

asaf posted:

I remember having a Model M in my childhood... I took it apart one day and somehow broke it.
You should get one of the other keyboards in Blues or Browns for doing real work, but if you have some money to blow on nostalgia this company still makes the Model M. They're a bit stiff to type 10,000 plus words a day on IMO, but switches are all down to personal preference.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You can buy a keyboard right off a ThinkPad for your desktop if you want a little nipple mouse in your life. Early versions had problems with the shift key ghosting but that's fixed now. edit: oops, it only has dedicated keys for volume, not media controls.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Ort is looking for media keys that don't require a function key though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Keys don't get shiny because of grease, it's just wear and tear on the surface of the plastic that polishes them.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

He's talking about the new CM Quickfire TK, a board with the numpad and navigation keys doubled up. I thought it was a Costar board but according to the big list of OEMs it's an unknown OEM that isn't Costar or iOne.

Also apparently Das Keyboards are no longer made by Costar but some unknown Chinese manufacturer now :(

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Red_Fred posted:

I'm keen on getting a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard with Cherry Browns. What are my options? I don't need back-lighting but etched keys would be nice.

I'm seeing Ducky and Leopold match my criteria. Any other to consider? Does one stand out from the others?

You can buy etched, engraved or otherwise special keycaps for any keyboard using MX switches after the fact, if there's one you like that doesn't come with them. WASD Keyboards will even make a custom set for you, though they're not going to be selling their own tenkeyless until next year.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It has a built in timer to turn off your keyboard when your instant noodles are done. I don't think a better option exists. (I also don't know of any other option that exists.)

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Good news for fans of Nostromo-style programmable keypads! Razer has released one with Blue Cherry MX switches.

Bad news, it's $130. What the gently caress?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Tatsujin posted:

What's the story behind newegg suddenly discontinuing their second gen illuminated/usb hub Rosewill mechanical keyboards? I was going to get one after the holidays but they're just completely gone now.

It looks like we got the answer today: They're updating it with TWO colors of LEDs.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gavinvin posted:

Thanks for the advice. I have spotted a couple keyboards, does anyone have any comments on them?

Corsair Vengeance K90

UK Filco Majestouch-2

A large amount of Corsair K60/K90s have problems with keys signals getting stuck on and sending a bunch of characters. Don't buy them when there are other options.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Your cat pissed in your keyboard and shorted it, condolences.

(Make sure it didn't chew the cord)

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Babylonian posted:

So I got these gorgeous pastel-rainbow keycaps for Christmas:

They're built for Cherry MX switches, which means it's time for me to get my first mechanical keyboard. Which is great! I think I'd like to get the cheapest (decent) mechanical keyboard available. I'm leaning toward a white keyboard, since I think that'd look best with these caps, but I don't really care what color the keys it ships with are, since I'll be stripping those regardless. I'm leaning towards 'blue' switches, since the click seems appealing, but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

So, yeah, what keyboard options would y'all recommend?

I just wanted to point out something I forgot about custom keycaps. Take a close look at the size of the modifier keys on any keyboard you're going to buy for these. The Corsair keyboards for instance use two different sized modifier keys, so your custom caps won't fit them. The Filco/CM/most mechanicals use modifier keys that are all the same size, which is what your caps are designed for.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you're willing to wait, the WASD V2 is supposed to be out "Q1 2013". It features DIP switch toggles between Mac and PC modes and will have all of WASD's custom options, so you can get the keys etched with whatever symbols you want.

If you just want one of those keyboards from back in the day with a USB port, Unicomp makes IBM buckling spring keyboards. These things are fairly stiff compared to most of the various Cherry switches though. Matias makes a version of the old Apple Extended Keyboard, as well as a newer board with some other kind of quiet mechanical switch. Goon fookolt in this thread just got the new Quiet Pro and could tell you more about it.

The CM Storm keyboards no longer have all that branding on them, the pictures online are of the old version. Look at the stuff they just announced at CES to see what they look like now.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

WASD Keyboards offers colored ESDF keys as a free option on their semi-custom keyboards already. :)

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The obvious choice would be to buy an Apple wireless keyboard (and Bluetooth adapter for your PC if necessary). There's an AutoHotKey script somewhere that lets you use the extra keys on it in Windows IIRC. Otherwise the usual recommendations of mechanical tenkeyless keyboards apply.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 28, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I don't know of any, but you can always bring your own knob.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

astr0man posted:

What's the best choice for a keyboard with cherry reds right now?

Kinesis Advantage :getin:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Cooler Master keyboards are very popular now, but the deep discount probably has to do with the product refresh that's due in the next month or two. There's the new Stealth tenkeyless and a new Costar-manufactured full size keyboard coming. If you don't care about having the newest model (which isn't significantly different), $60 after rebate is a fantastic price.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I can't figure out which thread I read this suggestion in, but I just changed out my G13's terrible thumbstick with a spare 360 controller's thumbstick and the thing is actually useable now. Still not something I'd use for games, but I can use all five positions without having to shift my thumb around that awful cone thing Logitech put on it.

Making the switch requires a little finger strength to remove the old one and some sanding and drilling to make the 360 stick fit through the opening on the G13, but it's easy enough to do.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you have questions about oddball keyboards like that you're better off going to geekhack.org or deskthority.net where the Big Keyboard Fans hang out. I imagine you have a real specific reason for wanting that board and they might be able to help you.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Paco de Suave posted:

I am now seeing a few pictures that make it look like the area under the keys is red. Is that how yours is? I can't tell if that is the backlighting or not.

CM makes a red switch keyboard with a red backplate, which you might be seeing pictures of. Most of them just have black ones.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Get a CM Quickfire TK, pull the 1 and 3 keys off the numpad/nav block. Or don't and use them. Or switch to a G13/Nostromo style game board if the problem is just learning to use staggered keys.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It's come up in the PC Gaming thread in Games from time to time. I think it and devices like it belong here because they're just as useful outside of games. In apps like Photoshop that limit which keys can be bound to shortcuts, or 3D apps where you need lots of different shortcuts for different modes, or when using a Cintiq where having a keyboard in front of you can be awkward, they are great to have around.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If the keycaps are the only problem you don't need to replace the whole board, Cherry switch keycaps are interchangeable. You can buy them off eBay or wasdkeyboards.com. Just make sure you don't buy ISO layout/do buy ISO layout depending on which you use.

But don't let me stop you from buying more keyboards :getin:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You'd both probably be interested in reading this:

http://blog.fsck.com/2012/12/building-a-keyboard-part-1.html
http://blog.fsck.com/2012/12/building-a-keyboard-part-2.html

A detailed account of building an ErgoDox keyboard by a guy with no electronics experience.

edit: This will forever be my favorite home made keyboard though

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 22, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

FYI the feature you're looking for is "N-key rollover," not "anti-ghosting." Ghosting is when a combination of keys can trigger an input you didn't press. N-key rollover means you can press however many keys you want and all the inputs will be sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Agreed posted:

I can't understand where the gripe comes from if they're not part of the standard alphanumeric keys or control group keys. Tilde, tab, caps lock, left shift, left alt, left ctrl; backspace, backslash, enter, right shift, right ctrl, right alt; and of course space bar are all mechanical, right? Because if that's the case then what's the gripe?
When they were new you were paying the same price as the other mechanicals on the market but getting a keyboard with an obvious corner-cutting measure as well as a key repeating glitch that didn't get fix for a long time. It didn't really make sense to buy one new. There's not a whole lot that differentiates most keyboards so having some obvious dings against it like that really hurt it.

• Locked thread