Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeahhhh this is some pop psych bullshido, I think, though perhaps an admirable attempt to destigmatize the disorder as "difference" rather than impairment. ADHD is an impairment, not a superpower, though I think it can be a big relief to do things that are engaging and trigger dopamine release (like hunting...or video games...or eating). The idea that this was evolutionarily selected for so that tribes of humans would have "specialized" hunters is incredibly dubious to me.

It can be useful to alter environment as a control however. My parents controlled mine entirely that way. Stupid high amounts of exercise, uncontrolled outdoor time, and a huge amount of extracurricular activities. But I’m ADHD and tested profoundly gifted so it’s got some differences. We had been able to do the same for my son until the pandemic hit. Between losing extracurriculars and remote it was pretty rough. Adderal extended release was amazing helpful. But now we are getting to the point where we can reduce dosage (mostly to get his appetite back.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It can be useful to alter environment as a control however. My parents controlled mine entirely that way. Stupid high amounts of exercise, uncontrolled outdoor time, and a huge amount of extracurricular activities. But I’m ADHD and tested profoundly gifted so it’s got some differences. We had been able to do the same for my son until the pandemic hit. Between losing extracurriculars and remote it was pretty rough. Adderal extended release was amazing helpful. But now we are getting to the point where we can reduce dosage (mostly to get his appetite back.)

This is how I got through life undiagnosed until my 30s. Sports, Music, busy busy busy. High school I woke up at 530am and was usually out doing things until 11pm-1am every weekday. But really, it was the structure that kept me focused. As soon as I went to college and lost that structure/ extreme busy schedule everything slowly started to unravel. Being medicated has been a godsend for me to get through the day. Just enough of a push so I can actually function normally.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah I basically only stopped a 70-80 work week, 24 hours a day on call , called out 3 ish nights a week 2 out of 3 weekends on, like a month before the pandemic started. High meaning too, keep people from dying and keep the high consequence hazardous from exploding type work on ships from everywhere.

Getting older has helped.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah I basically only stopped a 70-80 work week, 24 hours a day on call , called out 3 ish nights a week 2 out of 3 weekends on, like a month before the pandemic started. High meaning too, keep people from dying and keep the high consequence hazardous from exploding type work on ships from everywhere.

Getting older has helped.

This, but beneath low meaning. Unmeaning. Meaning destruction. Meds are good, do meds.

Langolas posted:

kids don't know what that normal 'focused/ontask' behavior is like most of the time. Being medicated helps them learn it and then you can work on behavioral items from there.

I'm currently learning this and working on building habits. Success in the small stuff helps suppress fantasies about strangling former educators.

Langolas posted:

EVERYONE on my dad's side is a hunter/fisher of some sort.

I am this, as was my father who was also ADHD though unfortunately died undiagnosed. But imo it could be anything requiring a big knowledge base, continuous improvement and lots of movement. I'm curious about documented examples of functioning ND people pre-industrial revolution, if there are any. I've heard about eccentric livestock people hypothesized to be on the spectrum, but I'm not sure if I buy it. Regardless, cutting down my screen time, cutting down information intake and trying to carve out some quiet has always helped me. Now that I have meds, I suddenly have discipline.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Lemony posted:

Personally, I find it difficult to get past that mindset of just being intrinsically unable to carry through on stuff, even now that I have a better idea of what exactly is going on.

This is an extremely real quote to me and I've never been diagnosed. Whenever I organise something I end up having an almost compulsive need to get someone to double check what I've done. Just zero self trust.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

A jargogle posted:

This is an extremely real quote to me and I've never been diagnosed. Whenever I organise something I end up having an almost compulsive need to get someone to double check what I've done. Just zero self trust.

100%. When you've failed at things for so long and advice from the outside just amounts to "Just gotta try harder, man! start your assignments earlier!" or like "Have you tried using a Trello board to organise your project?" because They Just Don't Get It... you internalise that a lot. I must just be planning wrong, or too lazy to push myself to work on the thing, or whatever.

I occasionally do some hobby game development stuff in my spare time, and when Stardew Valley came out, a passion project by a single dude over like 8 years, I remember having a vague sense of "aw man, I wish I was the kind of person who could do that". Not even consciously, but I've clearly internally written myself off as the kind of person who could ever start, finish and then release a long-term project like that, because my 33 years of struggling while not understanding that I have a neurodevelopmental brain disorder has made me think I'm just a fuckup.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Surprise T Rex posted:

100%. When you've failed at things for so long and advice from the outside just amounts to "Just gotta try harder, man! start your assignments earlier!" or like "Have you tried using a Trello board to organise your project?" because They Just Don't Get It... you internalise that a lot. I must just be planning wrong, or too lazy to push myself to work on the thing, or whatever.

I occasionally do some hobby game development stuff in my spare time, and when Stardew Valley came out, a passion project by a single dude over like 8 years, I remember having a vague sense of "aw man, I wish I was the kind of person who could do that". Not even consciously, but I've clearly internally written myself off as the kind of person who could ever start, finish and then release a long-term project like that, because my 33 years of struggling while not understanding that I have a neurodevelopmental brain disorder has made me think I'm just a fuckup.

Oh god, all of this. I need to find a chance to get into a psych now that I have halfway decent insurance, cause while the Wellbutrin is helping... I'm still struggling a lot and going up in dose puts me at risk of serotonin syndrome due to my antidepressants.

E: and maybe start doing some sort of adhd-focused therapy because the bolded part is something that hits me hard.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I was diagnosed as a kid, and my parents generally made me feel really bad about myself for taking Ritalin and concerta and stuff, so when I was able to I stopped because I felt really ashamed.

So now it's around 15 years later and I am working through my feelings and trying again. I got a prescription for concerta and I tried and I don't feel any different? I'm still having a lot of trouble staying on track at work and, especially, finishing small tasks that I should do right away but can't manage.

Is this a normal part of the process? How long does it take for stuff to start working?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As far as I understand it should show progress within a week. I also don't get strong returns on medication, but do it in short bursts when I need to perform and stop before the side effects kick in. (Note that I get really bad side effects and a lot of people don't, so don't let it dissuade you from trying. It has no long term withdrawals or other fuckery if you quit again.)

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I was diagnosed as a kid, and my parents generally made me feel really bad about myself for taking Ritalin and concerta and stuff, so when I was able to I stopped because I felt really ashamed.

So now it's around 15 years later and I am working through my feelings and trying again. I got a prescription for concerta and I tried and I don't feel any different? I'm still having a lot of trouble staying on track at work and, especially, finishing small tasks that I should do right away but can't manage.

Is this a normal part of the process? How long does it take for stuff to start working?

My prescriber told me Focalin/dexmethylphenidate works within the hour, which I found to be true. Sometimes can take two weeks for full effect like Tias said. Considering your parents’ level of care, stick to it, try to be gentle with yourself and be open with your provider to find the best option if Concerta/methylphenidate doesn’t help. Personally, meds changed my life but I’m having to work HARD against ingrained habits and fear of starting stuff. Been on them about two and a half months.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

CCKeane posted:

This was my experience when the dose was too low, so it might just be that you need to work with your doctor and titrate up.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
This was my experience also. I think I went in expecting to take a pill and have a magical wave of clarity wash over me and turn me into the dude from Limitless, but it's much more subtle than that.

For me, I think it was a dosing thing.

I started on 18mg, and felt basically no difference at all. I moved up to 36mg and noticed task initiation getting a bit better, but struggling to focus still at work, etc. Through titration I moved up to 54mg, which didn't initially feel much different to 36mg honestly.

I did then try 72mg after that, as I told my titration nurse the work focus still wasn't improving, but it felt like it was too much and felt like it was making me a bit of a zombie, or "not quite myself" in some subtle way I couldn't quite define, so I've gone back down to 54mg and we're hovering here for a few weeks before trying to adjust dose or even swap medication.

Honestly, since coming back to 54mg my work focus has really improved a lot and I'm not sure exactly why as it's no different to my previous 54mg dose. My life in general is feeling a lot more structured and a lot easier to manage. I have a morning routine that involves brushing my teeth, washing my face and practicing Spanish. I'm reliably texting people back and responding to things. I can remember to check things going out of my bank and cancel subscriptions I don't want anymore. I remember to put events in my calendar now. I can set reminders on my phone and (get this) actually execute on them when they go off.

I don't physically feel much different on meds. It's not like I can really "feel" them kick in (though sometimes maybe? Hard to say for sure), but the idea of a morning routine like that has been essentially an impossible dream for the 33 years of my life prior to starting meds, and now it's just not that hard?

TL;DR: Talk to titration provider, voice concerns even if they seem silly to you - they're used to us ADHD people mind-blurting at them I'm sure. Could be dosing, you could require other meds. Just take it slow.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 10, 2022

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Surprise T Rex posted:

This was my experience also. I think I went in expecting to take a pill and have a magical wave of clarity wash over me and turn me into the dude from Limitless, but it's much more subtle than that.

For me, I think it was a dosing thing.

I started on 18mg, and felt basically no difference at all. I moved up to 36mg and noticed task initiation getting a bit better, but struggling to focus still at work, etc. Through titration I moved up to 54mg, which didn't initially feel much different to 36mg honestly.

I did then try 72mg after that, as I told my titration nurse the work focus still wasn't improving, but it felt like it was too much and felt like it was making me a bit of a zombie, or "not quite myself" in some subtle way I couldn't quite define, so I've gone back down to 54mg and we're hovering here for a few weeks before trying to adjust dose or even swap medication.

Honestly, since coming back to 54mg my work focus has really improved a lot and I'm not sure exactly why as it's no different to my previous 54mg dose. My life in general is feeling a lot more structured and a lot easier to manage. I have a morning routine that involves brushing my teeth, washing my face and practicing Spanish. I'm reliably texting people back and responding to things. I can remember to check things going out of my bank and cancel subscriptions I don't want anymore. I remember to put events in my calendar now. I can set reminders on my phone and (get this) actually execute on them when they go off.

I don't physically feel much different on meds. It's not like I can really "feel" them kick in (though sometimes maybe? Hard to say for sure), but the idea of a morning routine like that has been essentially an impossible dream for the 33 years of my life prior to starting meds, and now it's just not that hard?

TL;DR: Talk to titration provider, voice concerns even if they seem silly to you - they're used to us ADHD people mind-blurting at them I'm sure. Could be dosing, you could require other meds. Just take it slow.

Honestly this is how we handled my meds too. I've never felt a "rush" of focus. We just slowly got things in place so I could focus, plan things out day by day and actually accomplish my life. My wife was telling my nephew and his spouse how it's been night and day difference from her point of view. Basically went from zoned out, not able to finish ANY projects (her words) to finishing projects ive had for years and getting things done.

When we pushed too much of the meds I definitely felt not like myself, but it was subtle. That was when we made the change from IR to a mix of IR and XR adderal. That's been the ticket for keeping my brain chugging nicely all day mostly on task

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Thanks for the experiences!

I think I am also in a kind of place where I am overthinking things a lot - I kind of feel like if things improve I'd be kind of upset, and if things didn't improve I'd be kind of upset.

I still haven't noticed anything really noticable at work, but I did comfortably do a couple of more tedious chores last couple of weekends without it feeling like nails on a chalkboard, so I figure that could be an improvement. I'll talk to my doctor next time I see them and see what is up.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Adderall is fine but the crash is ooph. Vyvanse gives me rumble guts. Adderall XR is ok but the 3 PM irritation and rage I get sucks.

Kinda considering what my other options are. Falling asleep like a narcoleptic, or living a life of never trusting a fart again, or accepting that me and the girlfriend can't talk til after dinner lest I say some mean and hideous poo poo sucks.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Adderall is fine but the crash is ooph. Vyvanse gives me rumble guts. Adderall XR is ok but the 3 PM irritation and rage I get sucks.

Kinda considering what my other options are. Falling asleep like a narcoleptic, or living a life of never trusting a fart again, or accepting that me and the girlfriend can't talk til after dinner lest I say some mean and hideous poo poo sucks.

What about meth(ylphenidate(ritalin)) or strattera?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hey, I posted this in a new thread a few days ago, and someone directed me here. Thought I'd re-post it in the proper place.

DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD AT AGE 52

My professional career and personal life have both been very abnormal, so I understand my experience is unique…

Short version: I have struggled with interpersonal relationships as long as I can remember. Utterly disassociated childhood, and a hesitant, forgetful adulthood. A “you need to apply yourself” childhood coupled with a “you’re so smart” career that never quite got there.

Six months ago, at the age of 51, I finally start therapy and my therapist says, “You’re not depressed, you’re probably bi-polar; are you willing to see a psychiatrist?” I tell him I’m willing to see a witch doctor if it works.

The shrink tells me I’m not bi-polar, I’m ADHD, and I probably have been my whole life. This is coupled with Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Lotta fancy words there, but both are likely caused in part by 5 decades of untreated ADHD.

A month ago —at the direction of a Psychiatrist— I started taking Adderall. No significant improvement yet, but we’re gradually increasing the dose; I’m about to start 30 mg/day.

As anyone could tell by my posting history, I have a terrible drinking problem. I’ve been self-medicating with alcohol for many years. If I’ve ever offended anyone with my posts (very likely), I’m sorry. My only goal now is to rehabilitate my marriage and my life. I wish I could say I’m totally sober, but that’s not yet true. I just started attending AA. Not sure it’s what I need, but it’s a start.

There are a lot of people on these forums who have been through something similar. I have very few people in my life who can help me cope with my problems, so I’m posting here on the loving SA Forums. I joined …what, 15 years ago? … because I wanted to make offensive jokes and Photoshop submissions. Now this is one of the few tools I have to express my emotional and mental struggles to a sympathetic audience. Basically: this sucks, and I sure would like a friendly ear.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Oof. It's cold comfort, I know, but do know that you're extremely not alone; your experiences are sadly not uncommon among late-diagnosed folks, for whom a diagnosis is often precipitated by the eventual collapse of one's support system and coping skills. Getting proper treatment and learning to forgive yourself for the poo poo you do/fail to do because your brain is a gently caress helps a lot.

The E/N ADHD thread is also a good resource, if you didn't know about it!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

That’s heavy, Lincoln. Internalized shame is inevitable because unless you get lucky, we are socialized to believe in a fundamental responsibility for that which we can’t or have trouble controlling. Mental health issues are brutal, let alone one those that frustrate the Great Myth of work ethic. The constantly fizzling success feels intimately familiar to me. Social media likes to portray ADHD as a superpower, but it crippled my ability and made my life objectively worse before I got help.

I found this talk yesterday, and I resonate with almost all of it. Perhaps you can find some comfort in being aptly described. The presenter describes the anatomical and chemical deficiencies which cause the symptoms we experience. ESPECIALLY the inability to string a series if tasks together into a larger plan.

Highly recommend watching at 2x speed, of course.

https://youtu.be/GyZtYzFq4WY

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Lincoln posted:

Hey, I posted this in a new thread a few days ago, and someone directed me here. Thought I'd re-post it in the proper place.

DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD AT AGE 52

My professional career and personal life have both been very abnormal, so I understand my experience is unique…

Short version: I have struggled with interpersonal relationships as long as I can remember. Utterly disassociated childhood, and a hesitant, forgetful adulthood. A “you need to apply yourself” childhood coupled with a “you’re so smart” career that never quite got there.

Six months ago, at the age of 51, I finally start therapy and my therapist says, “You’re not depressed, you’re probably bi-polar; are you willing to see a psychiatrist?” I tell him I’m willing to see a witch doctor if it works.

The shrink tells me I’m not bi-polar, I’m ADHD, and I probably have been my whole life. This is coupled with Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Lotta fancy words there, but both are likely caused in part by 5 decades of untreated ADHD.

A month ago —at the direction of a Psychiatrist— I started taking Adderall. No significant improvement yet, but we’re gradually increasing the dose; I’m about to start 30 mg/day.

As anyone could tell by my posting history, I have a terrible drinking problem. I’ve been self-medicating with alcohol for many years. If I’ve ever offended anyone with my posts (very likely), I’m sorry. My only goal now is to rehabilitate my marriage and my life. I wish I could say I’m totally sober, but that’s not yet true. I just started attending AA. Not sure it’s what I need, but it’s a start.

There are a lot of people on these forums who have been through something similar. I have very few people in my life who can help me cope with my problems, so I’m posting here on the loving SA Forums. I joined …what, 15 years ago? … because I wanted to make offensive jokes and Photoshop submissions. Now this is one of the few tools I have to express my emotional and mental struggles to a sympathetic audience. Basically: this sucks, and I sure would like a friendly ear.

Hey! My wife and I are both diagnosed ADD and are both recovering alcoholics. I’ve posted years ago in the recovery thread in TCC, but basically AA is a wonderful thing if you can find a group you like (and even if you can’t, you should still go a few times a week and just bear with it until you find a groove). If you live in a metro area, there should be plenty of group variety. The function of AA, at its most basic, and regardless of what anyone says, is to provide exactly what you want: a group of people that can relate to your experience, and act as a conduit to express and reveal your issues. This is an enormously helpful tool.

I’m nearly 10 years sober, and I’ll say that I didn’t become a magically different person but living life got a shitload easier. You’d be surprised at the person you are beneath the alcoholism, and you should strive to honestly find that person. ALOT of my worst habits were easier to work on once I dried out and gave sober life an honest shot.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 27, 2022

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I just want to take a moment to say gently caress you RSD. You suuuuuck.

I'd applied for a job (a whole fun ADHD thing in itself, looking at you cover letters), was a bit of a long shot since I was missing some of the required experience. I think I had some solid equivalency arguments and felt semi confident about at least getting an interview. Obviously, from the above, got a rejection letter this morning.

It's stupid, the rejection letter is very polite and was clearly written by someone who actually read the application, since it referenced some positive points they had. But, of course, my brain decides to focus on the bit where they said that they actually had a bunch of competitive applications and I was currently lacking some of the experience they were looking for. I've never even met this person and my brain decides to feel embarrassed, like I've made an idiot of myself for even bothering them with my application and they're just looking at it going "why did this unqualified rando decide to apply?"

This wasn't even some sort of dream job that I wanted to stay in forever, just a decent looking position at a decent looking organization. It feels so dumb that I can't just be kind of disappointed it didn't work out and move on. You know, took a gamble and it didn't pan out, c'est la vie. Instead I have to fixate on it and feel distracted all day.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Lemony posted:

I just want to take a moment to say gently caress you RSD. You suuuuuck.

I had a manager fuss a little bit at me and I proceeded to almost pass out because I was focusing on breathing and not snapping back and so on :buddy:

ADHD!

But then, as always, five minutes later I'm like 'lol im fine that was cringe' (for lack of a better descriptor).

As a general lobbing at the thread: I've tried XR concerta and adderall, and strattera did wild poo poo to my blood pressure. Eventually I'd like to try Regular Adderall or, if I can swing a discount because lmao america, Vyvance. Right now, I just religiously drink a cuppa coffee/energy drink in the morning and if I feel I need it, another cup in the evening. I got it (the ADHD and coffee habits both) from my dad, who, it turns out, is ADHD as hell and is working on his own dx.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city
Due to ADHD + other health things, I guess I finally have to accept the fact that it would be good to try to eat like 4 or 5 times a day, however said ADHD makes this really difficult to pull off, especially since stimulants make me feel less hungry. I feel like lunch and dinner are a pain but manageable, but getting breakfast and a snack or two in is almost impossible, especially with the "avoid acidic things so your amphetamines work properly" thing for breakfasts. At least for me, doing a weekly breakfast / snack prep would be best, but for some reason every time I try to figure something out to do on a Sunday, my mind goes blank or all options sound sound equally disgusting.

How have you guys solved this? Just a lot of smoothies or protein bars?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Jack Flint posted:

Due to ADHD + other health things, I guess I finally have to accept the fact that it would be good to try to eat like 4 or 5 times a day, however said ADHD makes this really difficult to pull off, especially since stimulants make me feel less hungry. I feel like lunch and dinner are a pain but manageable, but getting breakfast and a snack or two in is almost impossible, especially with the "avoid acidic things so your amphetamines work properly" thing for breakfasts. At least for me, doing a weekly breakfast / snack prep would be best, but for some reason every time I try to figure something out to do on a Sunday, my mind goes blank or all options sound sound equally disgusting.

How have you guys solved this? Just a lot of smoothies or protein bars?

I keep a lot of prepackaged food bars (usually Clif Bars) and other reasonably healthy snacks like animal crackers around. That plus some bananas, blueberries and other low-acid fruits.

The problem for me is when the meds wear off I get kind of a rebound. I have this impulse to eat a lot for dinner. It goes on until I'm uncomfortably full. I'm about to start a CBT based diet plan to address this.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Specifically for breakfast, I make breakfast indulgent. Typically eggs fried/scrambled/etc. in a TB of butter every morning, sometimes in a tortilla with salsa, sometimes with cheese and a toasted English muffin. Been doing chorizo lately…it’s good.

I also buy the foods I want so when it’s time to eat I have foods I enjoy around. From chicken nuggets and ice cream to raw ingredients. Snacks I like, as well. Money and time make this harder/easier.

Unfortunately, I think some people’s hunger just gets hosed by stims. It’s part of the balance between brain function, sleep, anxiety and food intake that providers try to balance. Lowering the dose can help bring hunger back.

Relatedly, and not necessarily for OP, my dietician friend recommended “Intuitive Eating” and it’s super good. Two dietitians on eating habits, issues with dieting, and a lot more in a wonderfully gentle and affirming package. Lots of research, too.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Diagnosed, being prescribed my initial dose of Elvanse (Vyvanse). Been warned about dry mouth etc, is there anything else people have found helpful when first starting out?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Are they starting you out at a low dose, then tentatively planning to increase over time?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Idk about dry mouth, but otherwise don’t put too much pressure on yourself to suddenly be perfect. Not much to do but see if it helps and figure out what to do or not do with more executive function.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Are they starting you out at a low dose, then tentatively planning to increase over time?

Yer. Monthly reviews to dial in and see how things are going

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Then you might not notice a difference at first — I didn’t. They started me at 10mg Adderall (very small dose) and gradually increased it to 30 mg (common dose). Be patient and pay attention to your possible reaction. Vyvanse is similar to Adderall, but uses different doses.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I built up a tolerance to Vyvanse super fast until the point that the side effects massively outweighed the benefits. Seems to work really well for some people though.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Then you might not notice a difference at first — I didn’t. They started me at 10mg Adderall (very small dose) and gradually increased it to 30 mg (common dose). Be patient and pay attention to your possible reaction. Vyvanse is similar to Adderall, but uses different doses.

Lincoln posted:

Thank you

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Another important thing to consider is that there are certain kinds of behavioral practice you can only get once you've reached an effective dose. I went up to 20mg, and for a month or two I really thought I needed to go up to 30mg, but then I finally got the hang of directing my new-found focus and am staying at 20mg for now. I think this is why my psych told me to take the pill and then immediately start doing what I needed to focus on- you don't always need to do it that way, but it helps you in exercising whatever atrophied brain muscle the medication enables.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city

Total Meatlove posted:

Diagnosed, being prescribed my initial dose of Elvanse (Vyvanse). Been warned about dry mouth etc, is there anything else people have found helpful when first starting out?

Lots of water and a protein-heavy breakfast. I don't know what it is, but I'm massively more productive and the stuff seems to work way better if I do that, even if it's like a decent protein bar if there's nothing else available. And if there's not that, some, any, breakfast is a must have for me, otherwise I'll get nothing done. I'd avoid caffeine especially in the beginning, though now after a couple of months I can do a coffee or two in the afternoon.

If you're getting side effects, be patient. A friend of mine got an improvement in those after increasing their dose, so it's maybe not always linear with the dosage.

Good luck!

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

Beastyfella posted:

I built up a tolerance to Vyvanse super fast until the point that the side effects massively outweighed the benefits. Seems to work really well for some people though.

If you can answer, how much were you taking and what kind of side effects did you have? I am taking 20mg, switching to 30mg this month. I took literally every secondary med (Strattera, Clonidine, and Guanfacine) and had wild side effects on all of them, but I haven't felt a single side effect from Vyvanse besides a little "high" as I start a higher level of the meds.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago

car dance posted:

If you can answer, how much were you taking and what kind of side effects did you have? I am taking 20mg, switching to 30mg this month. I took literally every secondary med (Strattera, Clonidine, and Guanfacine) and had wild side effects on all of them, but I haven't felt a single side effect from Vyvanse besides a little "high" as I start a higher level of the meds.

I think at the end I was around 70mg, if I recall correctly. It's been a few years since I have taken it. I started around 20-30mg or so.

I disengage pretty hard and have a lot of trouble getting motivated, but none of the major stimulants seemed to work for me. I was basically a blob in a chair for big parts of the day. The Vyvanse helped with that the most but I got to the point that I was having panic attacks and rapid heart rate.

I've had the most long term success with Bupropion, coffee, and recently started taking a pretty hefty Omega-3 supplement, which really seems to have helped with motivation a lot. I can't think of any other changes that happened at the same time, but man I've felt a lot better since I started the supplement too.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Talked to my doctor about getting back into active treatment. Expect an update in 4-6 months when they can actually see me!!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The single roughest year of my life was the one in which I was prescribed Adderall. I lost so much weight, I was shaking and angry at everything, and every time I went to my psichiatrist twitching and crying and freaking out he would just increase the dose. Ever since then I've been terrified of ADD meds, but I also can't focus for poo poo. I finally got back on Ritalin, something I had been on before and remember it not having awful side effects. Already I can tell it's working; yesterday I took it and I was able to sit down and do schoolwork for almost four hours straight.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Soooo… I’m 3 months into Adderall treatment after being diagnosed with ADHD at age 51. I have depression and anxiety to go with my ADHD, so medication will be a throw-it-against-the-wall kinda thing.

SSRIs and SNRIs have been a disaster for me. Shrink prescribed Trintellix but it had the same ineffectiveness + side effects as everything else, so we just now discontinued it. So now we’re going to try Auvelity. Stay tuned for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masey
Aug 22, 2006
Pancakes.
I'm trying to help a friend get diagnosed online he lives in an incredibly rural part of IL, USA. Was hoping anyone had any services they've used/someone they know have used to help them get diagnosed & treatment? I was very fortunate in having a specialist locally for adult ADHD/ADD/Autism in Women so my path looks very different than his likely will and a lot of the resources I originally looked at a few years ago seem to be missing now? (He is uninsured but can afford to a degree).