Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My psychiatrist has never seen my dick or my piss. Does...does this mean he doesn't find me attractive? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

Ok, so I was diagnosed with ADHD back when I was little (don't remember the age exactly but definitely before highschool), and I took Adderall for basically the whole time I was taking medication. I went through the "try this and this and this" with Straterra, Concerta, Focaline, Ritaline and every other drug they had at the time and none of them helped like Adderall or the side effects were worse. 7 years ago I lost health insurance so I stopped taking any form of Adderall or anything else for ADHD. While I am at work I function fine because there is structure and I have procedures to keep myself focused, but once I get home it is all blah...I am considering going back to a doctor to have them reevaluate me and get some kind of medication set up. From people's experiences is it better for me to just give in to the medication as a solution, or is there another solution that has worked for other people that I can try without meds? Again, at work there are zero issues, and even at home I don't really ignore ALL things that need done...I just delay and procrastinate a ton which leads to only getting half of the things I need to do done if that.

I take Adderall for work, but just in the morning. It wears off by the end of the work day, and I also used to have big problems with getting regular 'life' stuff done on my own.

One of the things that really helped me is that I write the household stuff I need to do down ahead of time in a calendar book, which I carry with me to work and keep handy at all times. If I think of something I have to do I write it down right away, with a time I know I'll be free to do it. So if I'm getting home from work at 5:00, I'll literally put down "5:15 -- load washing machine. 5:30 -- unload dishwasher. 6:00 -- go to supermarket". Being beholden to the tasks on the calendar, rather than just knowing I have to do them in my own head, goes a really long way not just in terms of keeping my mind organized and remembering what I have to do, but in motivating me to get them out of the way since crossing them off gives me a sense of accomplishment -- and knowing that if I fail I'll have to write them in on a different day and feel bad about doing so helps motivate me.

Externalizing your goals can be really helpful. You do have to be careful about going overboard and putting down too many things, expecting yourself to be able to do chores for two hours straight might not be realistic and lead to failure and disappointment even if you want them all done that day.

You might also find it helpful to check out Russell Barkley's book or lectures about how ADHD is an executive function disorder, and how to structure your life around external motivations and consequences. And as always, a therapist can be really useful in helping you figure out what works and what doesn't, and providing ideas for things that might work that you wouldn't come up with yourself.

e: this post brought to you by Adderall

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 20, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

I will have to give the planner a try. I did something similar with a white board at home, but then I'd just look at it and go "I can do this later" or find something I feel needs done instead...Hopefully doing as you said will help. I will likely see a Dr. and hopefully get Adderall or something just in case, but not hold myself to a regiment of taking it. I really dislike the side effects of ADHD drugs so I'd prefer not to take them, but sometimes they are a necessary thing I guess.

Yeah, it doesn't work for me unless I put down times, because I'll just think "I still have time do this today" all the way until it's time to go to sleep and welp. Writing it down takes it out of my hands, I don't have to decide that it's time to a do a thing anymore, I just have to follow what it says in the calendar book.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Freudian posted:

Guess who has two thumbs and symptoms of predominantly inattentive ADHD. d-:downs:-b

He told me to come back in two months with descriptions of how it affects my day-to-day life so he can assess whether it's severe enough to require medication... at which point I'll get passed onto an ADHD clinic. I am kind of tired of being passed around like a parcel.

Two months, what the gently caress? That's really weird and dumb.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 20, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Freudian posted:

I'm working at this guy's pace and honestly I'm really bored of it, but I don't know how to get what I need anywhere else.

Did you not just laugh and say "I had to drop out of college, it's severe enough."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Freudian posted:

Is it too late to phone up and say exactly that or is that more of a spur of the moment thing...

Haha. What makes it weird is that it's not like they will prescribe you a different initial dose based on 'severity' of your symptoms. So much evaluation when they could just give you a week's worth of 10mg Adderall or whatever and be like "Did that help and if so did it help enough?" They're not antipsychotics or something like that, ADHD medication tends to be fairly tame and safe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah, that's quite a bit. I take 10mg when I need it and it works pretty well for 4-6 hours. When I was taking 15mg XR it felt like my heart was going to explode.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Anyone have experience with Ritalin vs. Adderall? Are the effects substantially different from each other?

Man, you people really get shafted in every sense. Sure, I need to pay ~80€ a month in insurance, but I've never had to pay for any visit to my psychiatrist and prescriptions cost 5€ a box, no matter what it is.

They're both stimulants, Ritalin has more severe side effects. Adderall has a reputation as being more effective at treating symptoms, especially in terms of helping with motivation. I honestly don't think Ritalin would be prescribed very often if Adderall didn't have higher abuse potential -- I would push to try Adderall first if you can.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Less side effects would be nice, I can't really afford to lose any more of my appetite - I've lost nearly 25 pounds since getting put on Effexor. Abuse potential probably doesn't bother my psychiatrist too much. I regularly get put on Imovane because otherwise I would never, ever sleep.

Adderall might actually help with the insomnia if you time it right, you crash like a motherfucker when it wears off.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Sounds good. Adderall lasts about 12 hours, right? I rarely have class before 11:00, so that would fit together nicely. Gotta see if I can't talk the doc into trying that first, then. Thanks.

My IR lasts about 6. It's a half life thing though and I take a low dose, so a bigger dose probably lasts longer. Plus you can always take additional smaller doses later in the day. Just gotta work with your psychiatrist and find what works for you.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Vyvanse is the tits. Also insurance rules. Thanks Obama.

75$ a month and it's probably saved me 3k this year. Idk how the hell it only has a $250 deductible.

Vyvanse is the one that lasts 12 hours, right?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

chthonic bell posted:

So do ADHD meds do anything for inner restlessness or am I stuck with that bit forever?

Yeah, they do. It helps you focus on one thing at a time rather than feel like you have to do a million things at once (which is really because you can't concentrate on any one of them).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I was a perfect straight-A student until high school with the help of very involved parents who made sure I studied and got my work done, at which point I went away from home to boarding prep school, with my arsenal of great study habits in tow. It did not take me very long to completely gently caress up my grades and start sleeping 2 hours a night.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 27, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tin Hat posted:

Does anyone else have to deal with this/tips for coping? I'll be lethargic and unfocused for most of the day, then suddenly late in the evening/early night I'll become very energetic, driven to work, creative, and too pumped to get to sleep; basically the most "hyperactive" I get, since I don't get those symptoms during the rest of the day. Naturally this is a huge pain since there's stuff I want to do in the mornings/days but I'm asleep/too groggy to think. I'm familiar with sleep hygiene as well as melatonin/OTC sleep aids and haven't had great luck forcing myself to sleep at proper hours that way, but even when I do sleep I'm still quite tired during the day.

Exercising until I want to die does the trick for me. Burn off that second wind energy ahead of time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah XR always rubbed me the wrong way.

Also there's nothing worse than having depression or anxiety due to ADHD and being scripted antidepressants without addressing the ADHD. Great, now I don't give a poo poo that I'm unable to focus on anything. So helpful. :rolleyes:

XR is loving atrocious.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

robotsinmyhead posted:

What's the best way to approach a doctor about trying medication for ADD? I always feel weird going in and being like, "so the internet says..."

I'd really like to try something like Adderall, as it has helped a friend of mine a lot. I've never really "struggled" with ADD, but I've always had a really hard time with being easily distracted and I have really bad (and often embarrassing) problems with anger outbursts. I've noticed, if anything, I'm getting worse as I get older (33 now)

The only drugs I've been on in the same vicinity were mood / anxiety disorder drugs and they didn't really do me any good.

Stimulants like Adderall probably aren't going to help with angry outbursts, and can actually make them worse. You need a clinical therapist, who will also be able to refer you to a psychiatrist if needed. But try therapy first or in conjunction with meds, in my opinion.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Well, if you already did the hoop jumping, you should be fine. It took my doc 5 months to rule out everything besides ADD, and it was worth every second of welbutrin migraines and lexapro limp dicks. He's still not keen on giving me vyvanse, which I have heard from a couple of friends is the best med you can get for ADD, but finally getting the right treatment makes me so much more patient in this next step

On a related note, are ADD and ADHD separate conditions? I can't find a reliable answer and so far my research has said that they both have the same physiological cause and almost identical treatments, so is it just a difference in classification due to the presentation of behavioral effects or are they like autism and aspergers where they were originally different conditions and common parlance hasn't caught up with the change in definition?

They're the same thing and they're both kind of lovely acronyms anyway. It's really an executive function disorder.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

There is no link between food dyes or additives and Adhd. None. Almost every single study is some bullshit survey from moms.

Clean eating helps everyone, but if anything the kid should be eating a lot of carbs ESPECIALLY if you are advocating putting him in sports. What the gently caress? You don't want the kid under eating on stimulants then running off to go swimming for a few hours. They'll end up like half my adhd friends where in adulthood they ended up getting eating disorders, medical problems and had growth problems because of malnutrition in childhood.

Plus the fact that bread and pasta are complex carbs. Simple carbs means sugar.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Oracle posted:

I didn't say 'don't eat a lot of carbs.' I said avoid simple carbs. White bread and pasta tend to get burned through faster than their brown or whole wheat equivalents and most white bread in this country has a lot of unnecessary sugar to boot. And no, sugar is not the devil but kids in America eat and drink way too loving much of it and your blood sugar yoyoing can cause mood swings which contribute to misbehavior. She said her doctor mentioned watching the kids insulin so obviously its a concern to somebody.

Whole wheat bread and pasta are preferred to their white counterparts because of their fiber content and micronutrients, not because they get 'burned through faster'.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 21, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

e: whoops wrong thread

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I don't see the point of going to a neurologist. Like, the difficulties you're experiencing are obviously real, and if medication helps with those difficulties, what's the issue? Also, isn't the neurological research on ADHD still in its infancy?

"Well these tests say you don't actually have ADHD, so you should stop taking the medication that's allowing you to hold down a job and be a functional person."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Sounds pretty loving crazy to me. Talk to your doctor.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's not a mystery when ADHD develops, it's almost always during pregnancy. Then very rarely due to environmental factors during infancy, and even more rarely later due to brain injuries as a result of illness or trauma at a very young age. It's a physical condition involving delayed frontal lobe development, it has nothing to do with how well you were treated or your emotional state when you were a kid.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Did you try changing dosage? I get the fluttery chest symptoms when I take too low a dose of Adderall, and especially when I'm on it and drink coffee. Palpitations aren't dangerous on their own though, just uncomfortable and weird.

The grumpiness is definitely a thing though.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 4, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

They were caused by an unusually high heart rate while I was at rest, and when the doctor checked my pulse he mentioned something about it sounding slightly irregular or a murmur or something, I don't recall exactly. All I know is that the doctor "hmmed" when I mentioned it, checked my pulse, looked at my medical history, and fairly quickly concluded that it was time to change my meds.

If this keeps up much longer I think I'm going to inquire about trying Adderall again on a trial dose anyway. I'll keep a careful eye on things and get checked up regularly. It's been months and months since I completely stopped consuming caffeine of any kind, my diet's improved considerably, and I sleep much better than I used to (I'm all boring responsible dad and poo poo now), so we'll see what the doctor thinks.

Were you taking XR or IR? XR gave me palpitations nonstop which was a big reason I switched to IR. I don't think my body liked the gradual release of stimulants, it felt like I was dumping adrenaline all day.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Huh. I was taking the time-release version. Maybe I'll ask about trying the single-dose version instead.

XR sucks in my opinion and exists more because it can't be abused than for any therapeutic advantage over IR. It doesn't do anything that you can't do by spacing out dosages of IR. I personally just take 1 dose of IR in the morning and don't need a 2nd dose unless I know I'll be driving really late that night or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

In my case I tend toward time-release meds because regular medications seem to burn out REALLY fast for me, but I could try spacing out a couple of individual doses. Thanks for the input; I'll discuss it with my doctor.

Again, could be a low dosage issue. Adderall is a half-life drug so a higher dose tends to be effective longer.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Anyone read any of Dr. Thomas E. Brown's stuff? I just bought a few of his more recent books, they seem to be well-regarded.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

DaRandomGuy posted:

is motivation a part of adhd? i feel like i dont have strong emotions and lack a lot of motivation for things.

Lack of motivation is a massive part of ADHD.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Qu Appelle posted:

Tips on a morning routine? I'm inadvertently hurting myself here.

I'm off the Lamictal completely, and also off the Dex (for the ADHD) for the next two months, as my doc and I think it (the Lamictal) caused such a massive upswing in my GERD that I can barely eat without making myself sick. Like, I can reliably eat maybe 8 foods. We're keeping the Dex out of the mix as well, in case that's also a factor (which I don't think it is). So, my only :catdrugs: is an almond milk latte that I sip on throughout the day. (Job in engaging and I'm not in school at the moment, so I don't have to worry on that front.)

The other thing is that I keep on preventing my healing by messing up my morning meds. When it was 2 pills and an inhaler? I can manage that. But now, it's 4 pills, vitamins, an inhaler with a spacer (2 puffs!), and a nasal spray - and there's mornings where I'll just up and forget one of these components, which just doesn't help at all. It's to the point where I'm thinking of setting up a manual, pen and paper checklist for it all. (I have a pill holder for the pills, but doesn't help the nasal spray).

Ideas? At least my food journaling is going a lot better since I made a Google Form for it. It has cats on it. :3: I feel motivated because I like telling the kitties what I ate today. I had zucchini, cats. Yum.

Put all the meds you need to take out in the open, visible, on your kitchen counter or something, in a row. Then just go down the row one by one each morning. Buy a small tray or something if you want to make it look a little more organized, but don't put your meds out of sight every day.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

The typical Adderall starting dosage for adults is 20mg. It only goes up from there, so dont't be too disappointed if you don't get any results with that amount. Starting with 5mg is more typical for children under ten years old.

I started at 5, now I take 10 & 10 or 10, 5, 5 depending on how I want to space it out. 20mg at once is a bit too intense.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Aside from just being able to get poo poo done, the big difference when I'm on Adderall is that if I'm unmedicated, I find it completely impossible to do work (however slowly) without music or a video or something going on in the background, while if I'm medicated I find those things really annoying and distracting and would rather just focus on the work itself. It even extends to stuff like going to the gym, unmedicated I HAVE to be listening to my ipod or I'll get bored and leave, medicated I find the music overstimulating and leave it at home.

Stuff like going to noisy bars which I normally already don't like, becomes 100% unbearable if I'm still feeling the effects of my meds.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 24, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Talking to your doctor before stopping a prescription is a good idea in general but honestly, if it's just for Adderall or another fast-acting stimulant it's not a big deal to stop taking it. It's not like stopping antidepressants.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xibanya posted:

I'm getting ready to ask my psychiatrist to up my dosage. I feel like 20mg/day is not cutting it anymore. I know it's totally normal but I have this fear that she'll see me as a junkie. Any thoughts on asking the doc for more :catdrugs: ?

Don't worry about it and just be honest. You're nowhere near recreational doses, and a psychiatrist isn't going to think twice about going from 20mg/day to, say, 30mg/day.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

How much are you guys being charged for Adderall? Does your insurance cover it?

Insurance covers, I pay $10 for a refill of IR.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Does anyone here have DSPD (delayed sleep phase disorder) that they are being treated for? I know it's genetically linked to ADHD.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Culinary Bears posted:

Very probably, still on the waiting list for a circadian/sleep clinic.

Unfortunately, I've tried a lot of stuff that hasn't really fixed it: bright lights in the morning (useless), blue blocker goggles at night (might make it a bit easier to fall asleep but not a huge difference), a keto diet (helps me with my brain fog a lot though, so I'm still doing that), melatonin (lowest effective dose makes me groggy as hell the next day), modafinil (decent for being more aware in the morning, and awesome for my mood in general, but not really helping me "naturally" wake up earlier, nothing does so far).

Only thing I've got left to try really is having really huge breakfasts and not eating much the rest of the day. This one's a hard habit to get into for obvious logistics reasons.

It's a pretty major bummer really. Sometimes I wonder how much of my issues are DSPD vs ADHD. Sometimes I wonder if I ever do make it into a normal schedule, if that's going to entail living with ADHD symptoms all my life, and/or possibly developing the kinds of health problems "normal" people get when they have to do night shifts for years.

Did you just approach the sleep clinic yourself? Or did you have to get referred by a physician/psychiatrist?

For me, taking my 2nd daily dose of Adderall at ~3pm so that it wears off relatively late at night helps with falling asleep earlier, but the only thing that's really consistent for getting me tired earlier is intense exercise. The reason I think it's DSPD is because I don't have any problem staying asleep or falling asleep once I'm finally tired, and also because there's a HUGE difference in the way I feel when I sleep from Midnight-8am compared to, say, 3am-11am. Even though they're both 8 hours of sleep, I'm completely groggy and it's a huge struggle to get out of bed at 8am, whereas at 11am I'll wake up alert and rested. It's been like this basically as long as I can remember, going back to childhood.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 16, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah, the experiences people have with medication for sleep phase disorders sound like they're all over the place. Seems like it's not an easy condition to treat.

Even so, just knowing that it's a physical thing and not a result of having bad habits or poor discipline or 'addiction' to the things I do late at night when I'm not yet tired, any of the other things I've been telling myself since I was 12 would be a huge weight off my shoulders.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Medications for sleep disorders are scary as hell. Stuff like Ambien requires you to go to sleep IMMEDIATELY after you take it or else you'll actually get high. Worse cases you'll end up waking up from it not remembering where you were, what you were doing or why you suddenly have ordered 10 duplicates of the same item off amazon to be sent to you in separate packages. Pseudophedrin isn't much better.

I would rather feel like poo poo everyday and look like the child of rocket raccoon and an insomniac crackwhore than to ever take any of those pills ever again.

From what I'm reading, stuff like Ambien doesn't even work that well for circadian rhythm disorders. Sure it'll knock you out at 10pm, but your body still won't be getting deep, restful sleep until your 3am natural bedtime and you'll still find it impossible to wake up and function in the morning as your brain is being inundated with melatonin and cortisol until 11am.

Ideal solution: find a job where it's cool to come in at 11:00 each morning. Easy peasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Interstitial Abs posted:

Melatonin yo! Once I got the dose right (and I don't forget to take it on time... Thanks ADD) I gt it so dialed in at I wake up five min before my alarm most mornings. At 5AM.

But yes, I know this thread is full of smart people who actively research stuff, so chances are a few of you already tried it and it doesn't do the trick... But if not, try it. For me it kicks in about an hour and half after taking, unlike the twenty min the bottle said, so I take it at 8:30, fading by 9, and better be near a bed or soft surface by 9:59 because I crash hard. But wake up feeling energized (most days... Winter has been rough)

Anyhow, my .52 cents.

How much do you take, and in what form?