Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Anyone here have to deal with Medco/Express Scripts? I loving, loving hate dealing with them and schedule 2 prescriptions like Adderall. And I'm afraid of being overly irritated that they moved up my delivery data *again* for fear be "exhibiting drug seeking behavior".

I'm mostly just ranting about this, but does anyone have any experience with these folks, or advice to ensure this doesn't happen in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I had to gently caress with bioscrip (another mail order pharmacy) at one point to get the best price on my meds. After a few months of dealing with them, I just went back to my local pharmacy. I'd rather pay a bit more to get my meds from the nice gray-haired pharmacist down the street who doesn't look at me like I'm a goddamn drug fiend.

I wish I could do that, I have to use the online pharmacy for my insurance. Christ, gently caress them in the ear.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TheBigBad posted:

Count your calories for a week. That way you can judge whether or not you need to eat more or not. MyFitnessPal is what I use.

Also yes... planning out adds stress which is why we tend to recommend using calendars with alarms and notifications and/or creating rituals where you keep a physical book/calendar so you can keep track of everything without having to remember it. Many of us have our significant others run our calendar as appropriate so they can make sure it makes it from the little card they hand you for the appointment into your google calendar as well. Sometimes I even call my wife just have her put the entry in for me even though I could do it myself just as easily.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing - my wife keeps the calender.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what's up with that second wind in the evenings? Is there a medical reason to explain why that happens? It's annoying as gently caress.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

signalnoise posted:

Any tips for killing caffeine addiction? Even with prescription stims I'm very very reliant on caffeine.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. A coworker I know was dropping his caffeine habit a few months before the birth of his second kid (so his tolerance would go down), and had the normal headaches. He ended up in an ER on IV fluids for dehydration, which has similar symptoms.

So make sure when you cut out your caffeinated drinks that you're still drinking something regularly.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just want to take this moment to thank Express Scripts for sending my three month supply of generic Adderall to my old apartment, even though I changed my address in their system and called them. Of course the lady on the other end of the line was completely loving useless, but she assured me "the post office would send it to the right place".

Well it didn't. Luckily for me I have a great relationship with my last landlord and it's just her elderly father living there now so I was able to get my meds, but seriously Express Scripts, go gently caress yourself.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

~2 years after being diagnosed and beginning treatment for ADHD I'm starting my first day of grad school today, after 5 years of working a job I hated because it was secure and I didn't think I was capable of doing anything else. Feeling pretty :unsmith: right now

Rock on! What are you studying?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So apparently this is a thing now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

i am tim! posted:

One thing that stuck out to me from my second diagnosis was a question I asked during the doctor's test, "Do you like to read or learn about Ancient Civilizations?" I'm paraphrasing this because it's been ten years, and while my answer was "Absolutely!" I always wondered why I was asked the question. It didn't seem like the doctor's personal test or anything, is there something about ADHD that makes you like old dead countries?

Wait, is this actually a thing? Is there anyone period anyone in this thread who doesn't enjoy reading about this topic?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TheBigBad posted:

Another thing I've read and tried with some anecdotal success is Tibetan Throat Chanting. Listening to that regularly clears my mind up, its something about the deep low tones with the occasional chimes.

So I've had a really odd reaction to music. Back in college I was essentially a music minor, and I was in the orchestra (viola) and was a bedroom DJ. When I was performing with the orchestra, I would always get this kind of light headed feeling where I would suddenly have a million ideas of things to do (which of course never actually happened). When I was DJing however, the whole thing would take up my entire focus (beat matching, finding the next track) and I wouldn't be distracted by anything. Perhaps the fact that I only had around 5-7 minutes to get the next track set up meant I was always under the gun and thus my mind didn't have a chance to wander off.

Anyone else ever have any odd reactions to performing music in any way?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MisterGoGo posted:

I regularly drink a fair amount of coffee on Adderall and don't experience the pounding heart/teeth grinding/anxiety others report and my heart rate doesn't increase perceptibly. Is there some other long term peril I'm not privy to? Am I going to bore a hole through one of my ventricles?

So I asked my doc about this (note - speak to your doc if you have questions, they know you best!) and she told me that all her patients use caffeine. Excessive use can be an indicator that meds need to be adjusted but other than that if you aren't having other serious issues it's fine. She did tell me that I shouldn't be consuming any after 3pm or so but other than that no worries.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Robzilla posted:

So I find out that the psychiatrist is willing to take me as a patient, but likes to have their assistant/secretary call and ask the preliminary questions as to allow the doctor more time to focus on me rather than wasting time on question. As it turns out, they got a new person before Thanksgiving.... I'm still waiting for that call. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't call them myself.

On the subject of caffeine abuse use, I know a can of coke has twice as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. Despite me trying to lose weight per my GP's recommendation, as well as the fact of sugar = empty calories. I think I consume around 4 cans on a normal day, 5 cans sometimes, and 6 cans rarely.

Needless to say, if I could've cut that poo poo out years ago, I'm pretty sure while I would still be a large guy, I'd not be AS large.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm addicted to it, or I need it to function "normally"

I could really use some prescription stimulants right now :argh:

So according to this site Coke has 35 mg per 12 oz serving. A cup of brewed coffee is around 163 mg per 8oz serving. A single energy drink can range from 80mg/can (8oz Redbull) to 240mg/can (16oz Rockstar Pure Zero) or more.

Even at six cans/per day you're only looking at 210 mg caffeine. As someone else mentioned I'd be much more concerned about the calories (840!) so consider switching to Coke Zero which is really close in taste or if you like energy drinks one of those zero calories ones which because of the strong taste you should notice the artificial sweetener even less.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BrainDance posted:

Maybe there are other "tests". I remember reading about some kind of test a psychiatrist I used to see did for ADHD, and it was a separate special thing that cost money that I never did. That was quite a while ago.

My "test" was literally like a test in highschool or something, except it was reporting on how I react/feel/handle different things, just about 5 sheets of paper with a bunch of things I rated on a scale of 1-5. It didn't cost anything extra outside of the normal fee I pay my psychologist.

Interesting, I took this four hour IQ test (done in two sittings) where I was doing puzzles and answering other weird logical stuff.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Baby Babbeh posted:

Delivery mechanisms differ greatly when it comes to generics, too.

I still remember those smug assholes saying "it's all in your head!" when people complained that they felt the difference. gently caress them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

signalnoise posted:

This is with my psych. I have 3 months worth of paper scrips for adderall, and my insurance is being shitheads.

Yeah they are, this takes like a day tops with my insurance.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Beastyfella posted:

Also being a huge procrastinator at work. I still get my job done and am apparently a high performer, but I think I just mask it well, or the bar isn't too high here or something.

Man, I can really relate to this. If you don't give me a deadline it might never get done. And yet they think I'm a miracle worker. Things could be worse.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Holy poo poo fidget spinners are awesome. Like, I don't think they help me focus, but they're a whole lot of fun to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

coolusername posted:

A hundred threads, and all their OPs stuck at 80% complete -- forever.

Anyway, I tossed this into the other thread, but someone might find it helpful here too: I took a few book photos of organisation tips for young ADHD kids and their bedrooms.

That’s some great poo poo, what’s the book called?