Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bacteriophaggot
Mar 6, 2007

squirt.

KH_BlanK posted:

I am of the firm belief that this "disease" plagues the majority of society to a degree, and can be overcome through will power and training. Like anything you want to build up, it requires exercise and dedication. Surely some medication can aid in the process, but if you only use the crutch, your leg will weaken and the withdrawal will leave you worse off.

See, ADHD isn't the same from person to person. There are varying severities; my boyfriend has it and gets by with drinking coffee, whereas my life was complete hell until I got onto medication. In addition, there are six different "types" of ADHD, each one of which registers differently on brain imaging scans. And yes, ADHD is a neurobiological disorder that shows up on said brain imaging scans. The major feature (of most types anyway) is decreased activity in the prefrontal cortex, but different types can also gently caress with the anterior cingulate gyrus and the temporal lobes (in which case you have 'crazy loving bastard ADHD').

I know you were speaking from your own experiences, but it does bother me when people say that people with ADHD are "lazy" and that they "just need to try harder." It's different in different individuals and medication certainly isn't always the answer, but in many cases ADHD is a severely debilitating illness that requires medical treatment. You wouldn't tell someone with bipolar disorder to "man up," would you?

bacteriophaggot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU