Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Sorry about the necropostin'.

I'm pretty drat sure I have ADHD inattentive. Going by the DSM-IV guidelines I can be diagnosed for it (according to my own evaluation). I get a mental block on work I'm uninterested in: I can't even start it. I procrastinate way beyond the last minute.

When I can focus on something, I do great. One of my HS teachers commented that whenever I actually do work, it's always A work. I enjoy standardized testing (no idea why) and got 95+ percentile on both the ACT and SAT (with a perfect score on reading).

But the inattention is loving with me. I can't focus on other people, I can't focus on uninteresting schoolwork. My HS GPA was 2.4. I'm in my first semester of college, classes just ended, and my GPA right now is 0.70. Once the rest of my grades come in, I'm estimating it will be 0.17. I couldn't pay attention to the work, the teacher, or the books for two of my classes, and I forgot to take midterms on the other two. And the final on one of those.

I went to a doctor (for the first time in two years). We met for a total of about ten minutes, and I got prescribed Adderall 5mg twice daily. He didn't really ask me about symptoms or anything. I've only taken it four times, but I can't really notice much of a difference. It took me about ten minutes to start writing this post. Will I only notice it after taking it for a while? Should I be trying to change how I do stuff too? I'm pretty much clueless, and I'm only seeing my doctor again after my next semester starts, and if I fail that semester I'll be kicked out of my school (and that would start up a whole world of really bad poo poo). What should I do?

Sorry about the wall of E/N text.

Pfhreak posted:

All I wanted to know was, "What should I expect from a Dr. when I tell them I think I might be ADHD?"
In my case, he pretty much went "OK here's a prescription for Adderall let me know how it works out in 6 weeks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

So if I get it filled then, I'll have to pay full price. On the name brand version of the drug, because my insurance, for some bizarro world reason, won't pay for the generic version.
I have to pay a bit above $180 for my prescription every month :(

edit: and I'm insured

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

WELL ISN'T THIS AWKWARD!

My Adderall seems to be giving me diarrhea :saddowns: It's interfering, anybody have advice?

Plankalkuel posted:

What is your perception of the public opinion about ADD in your country?

I know someone who is pretty much a ADHD poster child.
US, I'm pretty sure a lot of people think it's overdiagnosed. Also, TONS of college students are abusing Adderall, so that's not helping.

Definitely talk to him. I went through HS with everyone assuming I was unmotivated/didn't care. Talk, probably point him at some of the DSM-IV symptoms.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Hey cool. Doing that.

Also I managed to find some of my old school files from elementary school through early high-school. Literally everything written about me by a teacher mentions either a "lack of motivation for long-term" activities, or a lack of attention. Also one of my teachers wrote that I had wasted my entire year.

I wish somebody had noticed that pattern.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

sup thread?

So far I've tried Adderall, Ritalin, and I'm currently trying Concerta XL. This is all since February.
Adderall: 5mg, then 10mg, took 20+mg a few times when I was desperate.
Ritalin: 5-15mg
Concerta XL: 18mg (going up to 36mg tomorrow)

So far none of them have helped. At most, a tiny increase in my attention span but nothing that remotely helped me concentrate. Bad side effects from Adderall and Ritalin, nothing from the Concerta. The Concerta works about as well as a sugar pill.

What other meds should I try? I'm seeing my psychiatrist in a few days again.

Although I don't really have much to concentrate on since 1) It's summer and 2) I failed out of college
(Diagnosed ADHD-I and dysthymic, on Wellbutrin XL)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

concerta XL sucks so much

I'm on 54mg right now, about midway through this dose, and I feel like poo poo. can't concentrate, brain feels ugh, making me pissed off. also it's $150. anybody with ADHD-Inattentive know a non-stimulant drug that works for them?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Aculard posted:

FOOD.

How does everyone get enough of it in them while on this damned medication? I'm hopefully switching to instant release adderall to combat this, but what's everyone who pretty much becomes anorexic on this stuff game plans?
If you find out, let me know!

My psychiatrist told me to call her immediately if I lose more than X pounds in a month on my medication. Then she weighed me and I've lost 7X pounds in two months :buddy:

How the hell do I eat when I'm not hungry?
Also, yay, finally found something that makes me concentrate (Vyvanse 40mg)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

casual poster posted:

I dont mean to derail, but how can someone deny autism?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

they aren't autistic, they are the telepathic next stage of human evolution

MESSAGES FROM THE EARTH MOTHER II: INDIGO CHILDREN, ADD, AUTISM AND ASCENSION THE NEXT PHASE OF GENERATIONAL ASCENSION DEFINED