Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hey, I posted this in a new thread a few days ago, and someone directed me here. Thought I'd re-post it in the proper place.

DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD AT AGE 52

My professional career and personal life have both been very abnormal, so I understand my experience is unique…

Short version: I have struggled with interpersonal relationships as long as I can remember. Utterly disassociated childhood, and a hesitant, forgetful adulthood. A “you need to apply yourself” childhood coupled with a “you’re so smart” career that never quite got there.

Six months ago, at the age of 51, I finally start therapy and my therapist says, “You’re not depressed, you’re probably bi-polar; are you willing to see a psychiatrist?” I tell him I’m willing to see a witch doctor if it works.

The shrink tells me I’m not bi-polar, I’m ADHD, and I probably have been my whole life. This is coupled with Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Lotta fancy words there, but both are likely caused in part by 5 decades of untreated ADHD.

A month ago —at the direction of a Psychiatrist— I started taking Adderall. No significant improvement yet, but we’re gradually increasing the dose; I’m about to start 30 mg/day.

As anyone could tell by my posting history, I have a terrible drinking problem. I’ve been self-medicating with alcohol for many years. If I’ve ever offended anyone with my posts (very likely), I’m sorry. My only goal now is to rehabilitate my marriage and my life. I wish I could say I’m totally sober, but that’s not yet true. I just started attending AA. Not sure it’s what I need, but it’s a start.

There are a lot of people on these forums who have been through something similar. I have very few people in my life who can help me cope with my problems, so I’m posting here on the loving SA Forums. I joined …what, 15 years ago? … because I wanted to make offensive jokes and Photoshop submissions. Now this is one of the few tools I have to express my emotional and mental struggles to a sympathetic audience. Basically: this sucks, and I sure would like a friendly ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Are they starting you out at a low dose, then tentatively planning to increase over time?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Then you might not notice a difference at first — I didn’t. They started me at 10mg Adderall (very small dose) and gradually increased it to 30 mg (common dose). Be patient and pay attention to your possible reaction. Vyvanse is similar to Adderall, but uses different doses.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Soooo… I’m 3 months into Adderall treatment after being diagnosed with ADHD at age 51. I have depression and anxiety to go with my ADHD, so medication will be a throw-it-against-the-wall kinda thing.

SSRIs and SNRIs have been a disaster for me. Shrink prescribed Trintellix but it had the same ineffectiveness + side effects as everything else, so we just now discontinued it. So now we’re going to try Auvelity. Stay tuned for details.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Zurtilik posted:

Love to lock up at big presentations!

That happened to Elon Musk a year or two ago at a major press event for SpaceX. Literally the first question asked by a reporter. He’s like, I’m sorry I completely zoned out, what was your question?