Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sertman
May 23, 2007

If you see me doing anything other than fellating

:allears: MLG players :allears:

then please direct me back to the nearest Halo thread so I can continue to threadshit and make it unbearable to read, TIA!

Baby Babbeh posted:

Here's a question for people who've tried various medications.

So I was diagnosed with ADD when I was very young. The details are a little bit fuzzy in my mind because childhood for me feels like it sort of happened all at once, rather than as a sequential progression of years. I'd say it was before I was ten. I was on a host of pre-ritalin drugs, the only one of which I can remember is Cylert, which if I recall was taken off the market because it causes liver failure.

The last drug I was on was Ritalin. I was on it until roughly the fifth or sixth grade, so early teens. I eventually stopped taking it because I didn't like the way it made me feel: clouded, sort of drowsy, less creative. The last was sort of the deal breaker, because while I found I was much better at actually sitting down and writing, the actual quality of the writing suffered. I'm 25 now, and haven't been on any sort of medication since then.

My question, by way of that longwinded intro, is whether the drugs to treat it have improved since then? I've learned to cope with my disorder, I think, and can function pretty normally. Still, I'm not in complete control of my life. I still struggle to start things, or to get things done on time, or to do things period, sometimes. I don't think it's bad enough to excuse the side effects I experienced before when I was medicated. Yet if the drugs have improved considerably since then, it's bad enough that I might consider getting treatment again.

Absolutely. I was diagnosed with severe ADHD 13 years ago (my doctor told me that in his tests, he found that i actually biologically lose focus when I try to focus) and have been on medication ever since (I am 20). So as someone who doesn't really know of life without medication, I can definitely say that Adderall is a great medication for it. I used to be on Ritalin, Concerta, etc. and they shut me down creatively and socially, and I absolutely hated it. I wouldn't talk to ANYONE because I didn't know what to say. Adderall has allowed me to live my life in a semi-productive manner.

The one thing I can add to this thread from the many stories of people living with ADHD is to reiterate that people with ADHD have zero concept of how long something is going to take. None. Last week I put off replacing the sheets on my bed for 3 days. THREE DAYS. Why? I couldn't motivate myself to do it, and in the present moment I was happy just sitting on my bare mattress. It took me a minute to put on when I finally did. When I'm unmedicated I am an out of control monster. I do and say horrible things. I told someone I hope they got AIDS once because it was the first thing that came to my mind and I couldn't filter it in time.

Having ADHD is horrible, and sometimes it's not the disorder itself that's so bad, but it's people's attitude towards it that really irritates me. I try not to use it as an excuse as much as I can, but the times I do people look at me like they don't believe it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU