Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Had a parent-teach discussion about the kids last night. I thought it was interesting. Both kids are on ADHD medicine and Daniel has benefited very much from it the teacher says, it gives him the quiet and concentration needed to focus on a task.

It's also helped David, but he has these other issues, he gets hung up on details, he might keep ask the same question over and over again even when he got an answer because he didn't like the answer. He might get hung up on a detail and get so upset over it that it ruins the rest of the class or the break. Such as when they went to the theatre and the teachers had arranged how all the kids were to be seated, but he wanted to sit next to X friend and when he didn't it ruined the whole event for him until they had to take him outside.

Sigh... :( Towards autumn we will be looking at how David behaves when they start 2nd grade, the kids can grow and mature a lot during summer so we have a slim hope here... They've done so before anyway. If not, we'll be looking at getting a pscyhological evaluation and see what can be done to help him.

Daniel otoh is getting more and more involved in regular classes with the other children, starting in art and then in gym class. The teacher said this was contrary to most ADHD kids, who don't take well to those unstructured activities.

She also mentioned it was important to not move ahead too soon, when they are brought to a class they must be able to keep up, for their own sakes, they must feel that they are able to do this as well as the rest of the children. It would be very bad for their sense of self-worth to feel they cannot keep up and this was stressed as one of the most important things that they work on with kids who need extra help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
To be honest it's really the teachers of the public school system and the social care system who are doing all the heavy lifting and who has the expertise to deal with it, we're just along for the ride it feels like and it's as new to us as to the kids.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Doctors appointment today, will get ball rolling on ADHD investigation