Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Socket Ryanist posted:

I have ADHD and cannabis (even one hit) makes me pass the gently caress out, sleep for 12 hours and wake up feeling pretty good but totally not in the mood to do any work.

If I'm not allowed to lay down once high, I start getting really panicked and freak out.

Yeah, I don't know if the others just react differently to THC or if you have a different kind of weed over there, but being stoned very rarely makes me feel like doing something productive. It can help me a lot when I'm very depressed (which is something my ADHD can make worse), because it makes it easier to distract myself and have a bit of fun, but from my experience, I wouldn't recommend it if you primarily want to get things done.

Weed also makes my mind race a lot more, which makes things like reading and concentrating on college work pretty much impossible - although, once again, this is good when I'm depressed, and I would otherwise just focus on negative thoughts or be unable to think of anything much at all.

The most helpful illegal drug for ADHD is actually meth or coke (Ritalin and other methylphendidate medications are chemically very similar), but those also seriously gently caress you up, so just try to find a good neurologist or something. Of course, it helps if you live in a country where providing health care even if you're not about to die isn't seen as the work of Satan or a communist plot.

It also helps to just try out new learning strategies. Ironically, my psychologist taught me more about how to study the right way than 15 years of school did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

itthingy posted:

I ask because my girlfriend has a younger brother who's turning 14 this year, but he looks like he's 10, and is in that phase that most 8-9 year olds enter when they constantly ask questions. It may be something entirely unrelated to his condition or his medication, though.

It might also just be this magical condition called "puberty", which turns everyone into an idiot (I know I was), just in individually different ways.

However, ADHD comes with loss of self-control, and this can manifest itself in being unable to know when the right way to talk about something is, so sure, it could be related. But like I said: He's 13 - are you asking this because your girlfriend or her family is seriously concerned, or just because you think he's being annoying?

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know if it's just me but it feels like I can focus better when I'm high. Am I actually focusing more? Probably not.

I suppose weed can sometimes make it easier to grasp certain concepts. I normally don't go to university high, of course, but I once did during a Cognitive Science lecture, and since it was bascially a guy talking about how the brain works and constantly bringing up new concepts and different theories, it was actually easier to wrap my mind around the stuff.

I also once noticed that when learning languages, while being stoned makes it impossible to learn vocabulary, it can potentially help with learning grammar. I personally couldn't really use it as a learning aid anyway, since the stuff makes me even less able to keep to a schedule or bring myself to start studying.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
I'd say the memory thing is just part of the concentration deal - it's pretty much just that we don't waste a whole lot of mental capacity on retention, while my recall is often frighteningly good. The good thing about that is that a lot of this can probably improved my some simple memory techniques. The bad thing is that if I were able to learn mental techniques by keeping at it longer than a day or two, I wouldn't have so many problems in the first place.

Still, it would be interesting to hear about small tricks and general modes of behaviour that help you guys instead of just talking about weed and stimulants all the time.

Since I'm the introverted type, I mostly have problems with not being able to get random unproductive thoughts out of my mind which force themselves on me, making work efforts of any kind impossible once it gets bad enough. I've found that it's the easiest to get things done if I sort of try to transform that into the hyperactive type of behaviour - that is, I get up and just keep doing things without allowing large transitional phases to happen, which are the times when all those counterproductive thoughts normally ambush me.

The two problems with that are 1) that it doesn't work consistently, sometimes my mind is already racing enough just after breakfast that I can't get into any activities and 2) that even if I could keep this up, it wouldn't work too well with the kind of structure I'd need to actually improve things on the long run.

The whole "structure" thing is the bane for me, and probably a lot of people here, anyway. I have lots of neat ideas for keeping lists, making schedules and generally maintaining some sort of system. But then I either forget about it the next day, or I fail at doing something the way I intended, get frustrated, and give up on whatever schedule I gave myself. Has anyone had any success stories in that regard, or tips on maintaining a good balance between having some structure and giving in to unplannable mood swings?

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Unproductive thoughts means "jacking off and playing video games" right?

Not necessarily. I do play video games a lot - although the time I spend on them varies - but that's mostly because they are a perfect destraction for a lot of people with this condition: Because they require different kinds of both passive and active attention, some of them can have an almost meditative quality to them, which can be pure bliss if you haven't been able to focus on anything for half an hour all day. And I won't get into masturbatory habits on the internet.

But really, I do mean "thoughts". I think about what I could be doing, about things I've done, about how I feel about this or that, I lead conversations in my mind (which never play out as well in reality because in a real social situations, I can't form cohesive thoughts as quickly), or I think about how I could reply to certain forum posts (which is a perfect example for a reason why I should avoid the internet until the afternoon, really). Once a few of those things float around in my head, they kind of end up in an infinite loop, sometimes making me depressed on the long run, but usually just keeping me from doing any work, because at some point, shifting my attention towards anything else gets downright impossible.

Now I don't know if you were trolling, or if you just think "LOL, ADHS = nerd, rite?", but there you go. Also, I don't want to turn this into E/N, I'm just interested with how others cope with stuff like that, or why they fail to.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

cjksutherland posted:

I'm curious, with no disrespect intended, where you draw the line between someone that's just unmotivated and inattentive and someone that has ADHD. Surely not everyone that's a lazy slacker has ADHD, so what makes one different from the other?

I admit that's hard to answer - I simply can't know how other people experience things like that. If it helps, one thing people with ADHD often have in common is that they're indeed told that they're unmotivated and lazy, but that they don't feel that they are. In my case, I've actually always been pretty ambitious, and very aware intellectually about how a little more effort would improve my outlook in life dramatically - I was just never able to maintain that effort, despite constantly trying.

One problem that makes it hard to understand the condition is that "lazyness" and things like that seem like they are desirable traits to some degree. Even if you can't empathize with them, it's easier to believe someone with a major depression or anxiety disorder that what they're experiencing is not desirable to them or something that can be overcome with a bit of willpower (though, sadly, a lot of people do seem to feel that way), compared to someone who just seems to enjoy avoiding to do work (we usually don't).

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Same here, although I tend to avoid loud events - I can't stand the volume most people listen to music at, not only am I unable to hold a conversation over even moderately loud music, too high a volume normally means that it ends up a mess in my ears. Obviously, it's kind of hard for me to find the right kind of social event.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Apok posted:

One big help I have found with studying is music. I put on Sky.fm Mostly Classical or Solo Piano as some white noise. Otherwise nothing will get done.

That never really worked for me. It's really the other way around - I can't just sit down and listen to music, I need to do something else to appreciate it (long train journies are perfect for me when I want to consciously listen to music - staring out of the window while moving provides just enough low-level distraction). I do feel that I need some mechanism to fine-tune my cognitive load while working, but no dice so far.

That white noise article above was quite interesting, but artificial white noise irritates me. I actually find whispering and library noises quite soothing, but maybe that's just some kind of weird fetish. :P I definitely need to spend more time at the library, though. Even if I have my laptop with me, I'm way too self-conscious to start seriously surfing the net in libraries while other people are around.

quote:

Studying has to be done all at once. I can't take breaks or I will not have effective studying after the break.

That, on the other hand, is true for me as well. I've had some success with 15-30 minute breaks playing DS or stuff like that, but it needs to be something that's neither boring nor so exciting that I don't want to stop. Dragon Quest games have actually worked quite well. Unfortunately, like most coping strategies I tried, I kind of forgot about it after a while. Maybe I'll try again once uni starts for real again.

Sitting down and browsing the internet can really ruin a potentially productive day for me, even if there's nothing particularily exciting to read or watch. It would be easier if it wasn't so hard for me to get out of bed and start doing something, but I more or less automatically combine breakfast with, I dunno, watching the Daily Show or other distractions, because eating is another thing I can't do with nothing else going on at the same time.

Well, here's to another semester of hoping for things to improve. At least I managed to finish a paper that was required for advancing in my minor yesterday (last possible day, of course), so at least I won't start things off with a crippling depression and lowered self-esteem. Oh joy!

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Well, now you've got me worried. I take Ritalin, and I do have problems with weepiness for no reason - however, I always assumed that was entirely due to my depression and just a kind of low-key version of the breakdowns I've had during my worst phases. But when you say that it can happen after the dose wears off, that actually fits my pattern pretty well - I take Ritalin LA (controlled-release), and if I get any crying fits, it tends to happen after 6 PM or so.

I'm not sure that I should be glad knowing that it might be the medication that causes this, or worried because this may actually make it harder to treat the depression - it's kind of hard to know if you're getting better when you're in the danger of crying nonetheless, and since I'm only able to get the absolute minimum of work done in order not to get in trouble right now, I'm not really in a position to experiment with going off-meds.

I guess I should ask: Is everyone who has these emotional problems with the meds diagnosed with depression or other additional disorders, or is there anyone here that can honestly say that they'd be completely emotionally stable without them? I guess it's kind of hard to say when you need the stuff to be productive, though.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

TONY DANZAS HO posted:

What the hell is "monotasking"?

The opposite of multitasking, I guess? Sitting down and doing one thing from start to finish, or at least long enough to achieve anything. It's hard. At least, I assume that's what she means. Big surprise for anyone in this thread, of course.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Karo posted:

I noticed these symptoms myself. It took me quite a while to figure out the cause of this (a combination of tiredness and rebound/withdrawal). Eating well and having a quiet environment helps a lot (perhaps also magnesium supplements). Other than that the emotional instability was not acceptable when you combine it with possible depression.

Well, my workload is pretty light this semester, so I might try skipping the pills for a day or two, or I'll do it during Christmas break. I don't know how much it will reveal, though, since the weepiness spells vary in intensity. Yesterday, I accidently took my Ritalin after showering, even though it was eight in the morning and I didn't have classes until 4PM - I was just going to take a vitamin supplement, and my brain translated it into "find any pill, put it in your mouth, drink some water". Didn't actually feel especially bad that day, though, despite nothing positive happening to me.

What Karo said about eating well might actually be more relevant in my case. I unconciously avoid thinking about my dietary habits, because I know they completely suck, but changing them on the long run just feels like an impossible task. I like to cook, but I loving hate doing it alone, because working in the kitchen for 30+ minutes and then consuming the meal in ten without the added bonus of social interaction is such a hassle, even though I know I wouldn't spend my time on anything useful if I didn't. I think I actually baked more cakes in the last year or so than I cooked real meals, simply because it feels more worth it when it nets you food for up to a week.

I guess I should really make this a priority, though. I eat too little and too badly, and it's obvious that I can only improve my well-being by improving my diet in many ways. The fact that the shaving thread in W&W actually inspired me to spend 20 additional minutes in the bathroom and feel good about it also proves that I can change everyday habits, but then again, this is something I could add to my shower routine, while healthy cooking requires more flexible time management and planning, which are both things I struggle with immensely.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Elpato posted:

She has an appointment with an MD today to see if she can get a working diagnosis and perhaps medication to relieve the symptoms, but is there anything I can do to help her in the meantime? I try to be understanding, but I can't comprehend what she is going through.

Well, I haven't been in your situation, but I've been suffering from depression combined with the usual ADHD problems for some time now, so I can feel for her.

Even if you can't comprehend what she's going through, it's important that you convince her that you're aware that these thing's are not her fault. She probably thinks a lot of people have low opinions of her or don't understand why she's having the problems she has, so knowing that her husband doesn't blame her and is aware of the fact that she struggles with things others consider trivial should help with her self-esteem a bit.

She obviously can't control when her "hyper-focus" kicks in, but ADHD-sufferers sometimes work better in novel situations, so if you can somehow find a way to do things she enjoys in new ways or discover activities she hasn't participated in but you feel she might like doing, it might break up her daily routine and let her have some fun. It's a bit of a strange analogy, but smoking weed helps with my depression a bit, since it gives me something to look forward to late in the day, even though it actually decreases my energy level. No, I'm not saying you should get her to do drugs, what I mean is that even if it doesn't help with her work per se, if she knows she'll be able to have some fun at the end of the day, this might reduce the depressive episodes.

Other than that, there's always the coaching approach: Try to get involved a bit in her work or other activities so you can get an idea about when she's having trouble getting things done. This way, you may be able to nudge her in the right direction or remind her of what she needs to be doing. Her troubles are probably a combination of being a slave to her moods and simply not being able to keep a schedule or breaking things down into manageable tasks. You can't do much about the former, but maybe you can support her with the second problem.

Those are just some general ideas, of course. If you're willing to be more specific, maybe we can shed some light on it from our perspective. Plus, it's actually interesting to hear how someone close to an ADHD-sufferer percieves these things, since it's just as hard for us to understand the mind of a "normal" person as the other way around.

Anyway, best of luck to both of you, and I hope she gets better. I can assure you that depression and ADHD are a horrible combination, and I can also assure you that making her feel loved and appreciated is very, very important.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Plankalkuel posted:

ADD sufferer from Germany here. What interests me, is how ADD is looked on in other countries. Here in Germany the official position in the media and public can be pretty much summed up with KID DRUGS and BIG PHARMA$$$. Truly balanced articles and documentations that actually look into the arguments on both sides and put them to the test are rare.

I'm from Germany myself, and while the media can be pretty one-sided, the condition seems to be accepted in the actual medical community, and that's what really counts.

I guess the problem, here or anywhere else, is mostly that, whether due to underdiagnosing or because suffererers/their parents don't openly talk about ADD too much, the condition hasn't really found its way into everyday life (as opposed to reading about it in a magazine from time to time).

People generally habe a harder time understanding psycho-/neurological disorders than anything with visible, physical symptoms, but very many people have some kind of personal experience - even if just through the relative of a friend or something - with sufferers of depression, panic attacks, or other disorders. So they may be able to understand that it's possible, for example, to have periods of sadness and hopelessness that go far beyond what they experienced themselves, enabling them to be somewhat empathetic towards a sufferer of depression.

But when confronted with someone who says he has ADHD or who describes his symptoms, people are more likely to just think of their own experiences with forgetfulness, trouble concentrating on some subjects, etc. and be unable to accept that this isn't the most common thing in the world that can be overcome with a bit of willpower.

I think you shouldn't try to hide your condition. There are always idiots who can't understand (or stand) anyone with psychological conditions because, hey, they're doing fine, so why can't you? But if you mention it not only to your closest friends, but other people you like and who accept you for what you are, you're not only going to help yourself, but potentially others just by spreading the word.

As for your friend: If you haven't already, just tell him about your own condition, and be sure to mention any symptoms that you seem to share with him. Sooner or later he'll probably make the connection himself (unless he's just a naturally happy and careless guy, he'll probably have thought about all of this himself in some way or another), and you probably won't have any trouble convincing him to at least read about it. Talk to him about how you got it diagnosed and whether you've had any success with treatment, and bring a book like Driven to Distraction ("Zwanghaft Zerstreut" in German) to leave with him, and you've done pretty much all you can or should do for the time being.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
I've been thinking about plans for the future in the last few days (I'm currently at my parent's home and recovering from some lovely depression issues, although thanks to meds and few stress factors I'm actually pretty happy right now). Basically, I'm thinking about giving up on my B.A. and finding a job instead, at least for now.

What lead me to this line of thought is pretty much this: Since I finished school (which mostly made me miserable), I have done nothing but studying and being surrounded by university settings that (here in Germany) have generally been getting more school-like in recent years. Unlike my first two attempts, I was actually able to get pretty far this time, since I finally started getting treatment for ADHD before enrolling. But I'm still stressed out and prone to depressive episodes and nervous breakdowns, because I'm unable to schedule time for class work, research and writing papers, which magnifies all the other personal issues I have to deal with.

Bascially, here's what made me think that giving up on college life for the time being might be a good idea: Deadlines, course requirements and other college stuff always weigh heavily on me, and whenever I do something else, whether it's learning stuff for myself or just killing time, I feel bad about it and it seems like I'm avoiding what I should be doing. If I worked instead, even if it's not a terribly exciting job, I could perceive my free time differently and use it to set my own priorities and get into stuff that interest me without a voice in my head saying "it's nice that you're into X, but don't you have three papers to write?". Earning my own money would also help my self-esteem and stop making me feel bad about living out of my parents' pocket for the most part.

Of course, this is all highly hypothetical, because getting a job in these times isn't exactly easy, and I don't really have any idea what to look for, but somehow, the thought of doing this just feels very liberating.

I'm not asking you to make this decision for me, but I'd be intersting in different perspectives on this idea, stories from people who made similar changes or otherwise restructured their lifes (even if they failed) and perhaps even tips on what kind of work ADHD-sufferers might be suited for.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
First of all, you always have to keep in mind the simple fact that drugs affect everyone differently. Maybe there are rare cases where stimulants transform jumpy and weird kids into docile robots, but for the most part, the effects are subtle and much less pronounced. When I had my first dose of a drug, I was amazed to find I was able to work on academical stuff for several hours (something I was never able to do in my school years), but even if you ignore the placebo effect that's typical when you start a treatment like that, the long-term effects on me weren't as extreme as you make them out to be. My interests didn't change, I'm simply slightly more able to focus on tasks that require long-term concentration. When I was started on a new anti-depressant recently and stopped taking Ritalin for a while, I did feel a difference, but I wasn't a different person. I think most people here will have very similar experiences.

The only times when I felt that a stimulant made me act "unnatural" and hyper-focussed on every thing I happened to be doing at the moment was when I was on actual speed. But that's a different animal altogether, and there's a reason why a big part of drug treatment involves finding the right dosage for the patient.

I mean, I believe you when you say that the "what if" questions can go both ways, but you seem to imply that in general, people wouldn't be happier or more functional if they had taken stimulants earlier, and that's just a big oversimplification. My mother was pretty sceptical when I first mentioned ADHD and had bought into the media hype about a made-up illness to a degree, but by now she's the one who says that I should have been diagnosed much earlier and that even with the subtle effects I describe above, I would have had a much easier time at school.

On another note: That Barkley text was extremely interesting, but what stuck with me the most are his arguments for considering inattentive-type ADHD as a different thing altogether. Since that's what I'm diagnosed with: Are there any texts, talks or reviews that specifically deal with this variety in depth? It was a bit frustrating reading his thoughts about it and then seeing how he mostly goes on about the combined-/hyperactive-type for the rest of the speech.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Effexxor posted:

Any one else have a family like that? My Grandpa on my mom's side has it, as does my mom and one of her 2 siblings, my brother and I both have it and I'm positive that my half cousin has it. The rest of that side of family is on antidepressants. Needless to say, we're Scandinavian American, so that explains the depression.

I'm the only one in my family with a diagnosis (although I'm currently trying to pressure my brother into at least seeing his college's therapist, because I don't want him to fall into crippling depression like I did), but ADHD is extremely hereditary, and I think both my brothers have a lot of similar symptoms, and my mother told me that she had similar experiences in the past. My father doesn't talk about things like that a lot, but I'd guess that it comes mostly from my mother's side in my case, her side of the family seems to have more excentrics. If anything, I got the introvertiveness from my father's side.

quote:

Apparently, this is a pretty common thing with people with ADHD. My mind is hyper so I overthink usual aches, pains, itches etc. and I lack impulse control so I react in weird irrational ways. Any other ticcers out there?

Little things, yeah. Stuff like small chips on my teeth and other small anomalies on my body can drive me crazy, I can't deal with itches too well, things like that. It's not a major problem or anything I've thought about too much, though.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

zacfinchum posted:

I don't really know why people suggest weed for ADD/ADHD because weed lasts all of 45 minutes to one hour. Then after that I don't know a soul that can stay focused after coming down from a weed high, you just feel hungry tired and definitely not charged with energy and focus.

I guess weed is like meds in that it effects different people in different ways. I've also heard at least one friend who was diagnosed with ADHD say that it helps him study, but for me that's true for a few special cases at best. Certain kinds of lectures that deal with abstract issues did feel easier to follow for me when I tried it, but the memory problems probably balance that out.

However, you should look for better weed if an hour is the maximum for you, a tightly rolled joint makes me useless but definitely keeps me stoned for at least two hours.

Also, while I wouldn't recommend it for ADHD (and "recommending" weed is just as questionable as recommending specific medication), it can be a huge relief during depression. If you're so down in the dumps that you're unable to enjoy anything and do anything contructive anyway, the ability to at least have some fun with a good movie or game again for an evening can go a long way to make you less miserable.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

fyallm posted:

I asked my mom for the results of the test and have been thinking about getting retested and possibly taking meds. I really don't like medication and rarely take ibprofen or advil or anything so it will be hard. Are the side effects that bad? How much does the medication cost?

Unfortunately, all of those questions can be answered with "it depends". Meds affect everyone differently, but from my experience, methylphenidate isn't too bad with sideeffects, while it can really make a difference as long as you don't expect it to do all the work for you. For me, stuff like antidepressants and even strong painkillers (triptans for migraines in my case) have more noticable side effects. You'll probably be eased into it with small, slowly growing doses anyway, so just go for it and see for yourself.

As for cost, no idea. I assume you live in the US, and it's amazing for me to see how almost everyone in this thread and similar ones has to deal with such a lovely healthcare system. Personally, I'm hoping that I'll get another exemption for ADHD prescriptions for the rest of my time at university (they're not usually allowed for adults in Germany). If I have to pay for it, it's around 40€ for a month's supply of Ritalin LA, if I get prescription, I have to pay 5 to 10. None of this probably applies where you live.

EDIT: About caffeine: I don't like coffee (or beer, which makes me both a bad student and a bad German), I sometimes drink black tea or mate as well as (too much) coke. I always wondered if caffeine pills or certain kinds of energy drinks would have any effect on me, so I would be interested in any experiences with stuff like that, too.

Rushputin fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 24, 2010

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Aculard posted:

It is also none of the business of your employers to ask about what medications you are on unless it's something like heavy machinery and such I believe. Check with your local laws about that point. I know here the only reason you'd have to tell them you're on anything is if you had a drug test and it'd show.

Yeah, you shouldn't worry about it too much. I haven't had a whole lot of work experience, but I doubt your co-workers and your boss will start interrogating you when you pop in a pill once in a while or go out of their way to get you into trouble.

In fact, unless you know that you're employed by assholes, most people are very understanding about medication, so even if you get "caught" for some reason, I strongly doubt you'll get fired on the spot if you just explain why you're taking it, even if you don't have any proof on you.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
I definitely have that. For me, the issue is less about thinking what to say next (if I'm not talking to friends, I have that problem most of the time anyway), it's more that I can't hear a word anyone is saying. For instance, when I'm in a bar with noone around us for several tables but there's some music playing that isn't really low volume, I have to really strain my ears to process what anyone is telling me. Feels like I'm in a night club or something.

Needless to say, this doesn't really help with my social issues. "I'd like to go with you, but I'm afraid I won't be able to hear a thing you're saying" isn't really an accepted excuse for not wanting to go out or finding another place.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

casual poster posted:

Does anyone know if theres a stigma attached to adult adhd? For as long as I can remember it has always been marketed as a childhood disorder that you eventually "grow out of."

This also depends on where you are. Here in Germany, a lot of people I tell about it don't even immediately recognize what ADHD is, and while they usually heard of Ritalin, exposure to media about the disorder or the meds hasn't really been that plentiful after the last bout of "Are we drugging our children" articles quite a few years ago. The people I've talked to have usually been supportive and understanding (towards mental disorders in general), though, even though it's not a big secret for me that I would only tell a select few people.

Perhaps it also helps that there are no advertisments for prescription drugs around here, so it's hard for any kind of meds to be marketed towards anyone in particular, unlike what some people here have written. I would never have heard about most of the brands in this thread without reading it and other information about ADHD.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

I love playing chess, but I'm also so bad at it.

Chess and maths don't have a whole lot to do with each other, though. The "secret" to good chess playing is A) memorizing a lot of standard situations and storing board setups and piece positions in chunks rather than analyzing every situation individually and B) thinking ahead several moves and keeping dangers and opportunities of potential actions in mind.

I'm guessing that for you and other ADHD sufferers, point B) is the main problem, and at the same time the thing that makes maths so difficult. In the latter, once you go beyond whatever simple calculations you memorized as a child, you have to keep several bits of information and intermediate solutions in your working memory and then put them together. This obviously gives us trouble. If that article posted some time ago is right and ADHD is mostly a problem of the central executive, the CE is having trouble prioritizing what goes into working memory, so where a "normal" person could keep, say, six chess moves or calculations in mind for a short while, we manage maybe half of that, and the rest is filled up with the pattern of that guy's sweater, last night's episode of a TV show and a great idea for tonight's dinner.

I guess I just pointed out that chess and maths actually do have a lot in common, but in a way, problems with working memory affect all intellectual tasks and are probably responsible for a lot of ADHD symptoms.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

casual poster posted:

I dont mean to derail, but how can someone deny autism?

Lazy bums just need to make an effort and learn how to socialize.

Alternatively: Demonic possession. Wouldn't even surprise me. Much.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

I have an acquaintance who genuinely believes both of these. Basically, if it's a disability that she can't see (like a prosthetic limb), she doesn't believe that it exists. Instead, they just need to believe in Jesus more.

I may have said this before, but it's pretty fascinating (and sad) how many of the posts in this thread are either related to not being covered by insurance (or not having any) or to friends and family members opposing or not believing in medication or therapy. Always makes me glad to live in a country where treatment is affordable (it's actually an exception for me to get methylphenidate prescriptions as an adult, but even if I had to pay for it, it wouldn't cost me much more than 40 euros a month) and people in general tend to be much less stupid and fanatical about mental health. I'm sure we have our share of religious nuts and ignorant know-it-alls, but it seems to be much harder to run into them.

quote:

(As an aside, she also believes that 2% milk is poison, because it's made of plastic and is slowly hardening our bodies from the inside.)

She should be glad she doesn't live in Denmark. They actually have 0.05% milk there, whatever the hell the point of that is.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Xenoid posted:

A couple years ago I was given a battery of memory tests because it was suspected I had some sort of damage from a car accident but the test showed I have a good short-term memory while sitting and doing it, but I know I don't have a good memory for a lot of things and people that know me know this.

Tests like that can be weird. I'm not sure if it's because people with ADHD are fascinated with unfamiliar evaluations and tasks and thus do better than they would in everyday life, or if tests like that measure abilities in isolation which don't work too well in unison.

I'm still pretty amused/perplexed by an IQ test I took when I was 16. Not only was the overall score pretty high (the context was that I was being counceled for being in danger of failing a grade twice in a row and getting kicked out of school), but I got the highest scores in the tasks that test mathematical ability. So according to standardized testing, I should be close to being a maths genius - but my final school grade in the subject was just a little short of an F.

quote:

My main problems are disorganization and being impulsive. One thing that stood out for me was "inaccurate self-observation". Can you explain that one a bit better for me? I understand it as being sort of a poor self-image thing, similar to being disappointed in myself even if I do a good job, but I want to be clear. I don't really want to get into the specifics of what I have written down as far as symptoms go but suffice to say I didn't really notice any that aren't relevant at this moment or in the past.

This can mean many things, but an example would be misjudging how well you can do at certain tasks - one of the reasons I procrastinate so much is that I'm convinced I can do all that stuff in a really short amount of time, even though experience has shown again and again that I can't.

I'd talk more about it, but I have an appointment with my neurologist. Maybe I'll write some more stuff in the thread soon, if only to distract myself from some current anxiety.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Being nervous is normal (at least if you haven't been going to different specialists for years like a lot of people in this thread), but don't worry. Tell them who refered you to them, your history and your symptoms and let them handle the rest. They're trained for this, so as long as you're honest, you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007

Dolemite posted:

Thanks for the great responses so far everyone! :) I'm glad that the bit about creativity being lost is unfounded. I heard it from my wife who was told that by exactly one person taking ADD meds. It's not like we read it somewhere. I kinda wondered why I hadn't heard this tale more often.

Well, it's certainly possible that it has that effect on him. Despite all the positive responses, you need to remember that everyone reacts differently to meds. I've heard the creativity thing before, but this certainly doesn't seem to be a common response or something that you can't cope with (by setting aside time when you go off-meds, for example).