Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Stofoleez posted:

Like I said, you have been fundamentally failed by your society and your leaders. Do whatever you want with regards to getting your mental health under control provided it doesn't hurt people*.

*People here means people who aren't rich.

Forums.SomethingAwful.com: Where people recommend hurting rich people if you have ADHD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I'm turning 31 in a couple of months, and have finally had enough "AD" problems with my life to see a doctor today. He had me fill out a survey I'm sure many of you are familiar with. Scale of 0-4, 0 being never, 4 being very often. Questions like:

"How often do you have difficulty keeping your attention when you are doing boring or repetitive work?"
"How often do you have trouble wrapping up the final details of a project, once the challenging parts have been done?"
"When you have a task that requires a lot of thought, how often do you delay getting started?"

I was all fours on those types of questions. The bottom part of the survey were "H" questions. Fidgeting, interrupting people, etc., mostly 1-2 with a few fours. (Especially the interrupting people and finishing their sentences. I am an incredibly annoying rear end in a top hat, I just never recognize it until like 20 seconds after I've been an annoying rear end in a top hat.)

The questions were, to me, like, "How often are you lazy?" "How often do you get bored by boring stuff, like 99% of the world?"

It kind of got beyond that though. It's more like, in my interpretation, "How often does your boredom lead to serious, real problems at work/home/personal life?"

I often delay things -- when I say often, I mean EVERYTHING GOD drat -- until the last possible second, or when I have no option but to do them. For example, I had to be at work at 6:30 this morning. I woke up at 5am so I'd have time to cook breakfast, shower, etc. I didn't leave the loving house until 6:35. I don't know if ADHD is real. I don't know if I really have it. But when it comes to adult ADHD (disorganized & emotional), I have every. Single. Symptom. The doctor prescribed Wellbutrin. Seemed weird to me but I guess it's supposed to be effective. He didn't want to jump right into amphetamines (Adderall, specifically), which I'm fine with. I don't care what i'm taking as long as it gets my mind right.

I seriously get into vapor lock if there are multiple tasks to do, multiple aspects of the job. On the other hand, if there's a task I'm interested in, I'm all over it. A common thread of basically every loving professional assessment I've had back through my elementary school report cards is, "RobotEmpire is smart, but he is not fulfilling his full potential."

I have enormous amounts of CONSTANT job dissatisfaction. I'm extremely defensive/sensitive to criticism. Like I said: Dunno if adult ADHD is real, but god drat I have every symptom as relating to the emotional and disorganization bits. I hope the Wellbutrin helps. It's supposed to take a couple weeks.

edit: Oh yeah, let's not forget the terrible short term memory. "Hey, RobotEmpire, take care of XYZ for me."

"Sure thing, boss."

30 seconds pass.

"I loving love Kit Kat!"

I'm making light but this is a serious issue for me, and has created severe professional issues.

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 7, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Professor Skittles posted:

Supposedly I have inattentive add. I constantly day dream, I can only start assignments under absolute pressure, if you look at a paper I've written, you'll see constant erase marks and corrections, math especially is a mess for me. I constantly forget stuff, i have a hard time following directions. Medication is ok, but lately it's been making me obsessive and depressed.

We have many of the same symptoms, though I have opposite problems with writing. I don't believe in proofreading. Though I don't think this has anything to do with ADHD for me but sheer :smug:ness.

What medication are you on? I'm on Wellbutrin (just started recently) and am hoping to specifically avoid those two side effects. It's actually why I'm on Wellbutrin. I asked my doctor to give me something that didn't have obsessiveness/depression ("I don't want to be laying in my bed crying myself to sleep for no reason in six weeks.").

Also for anyone who's taken Wellbutrin, how long does it take to get full effect? Yesterday I both felt and was told I seemed much more focused at work. But I'm like 95% sure it's just placebo effect. I've only been on two days of full dosage.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Hobo Tickler posted:

I said might and may, and please don't put words into my mouth. I didn't say you'd end up with problems with 100% certainty. By 'enthusiasm' I meant the artificial enthusiasm invoked by the drug that causes you to read The Great Gatsby or a 200 page dense maths textbook you normally wouldn't read in one sitting. The wired, brain on fire, drug invoked enthusiasm for boring poo poo is what I mean.

I haven't been keeping up with the issue, but when I was a kid 'ADHD kids' were known for having an awesome attention span for things they wished to participate in - is this not the case now?. I read most of Roald Dahl's stuff before I was 10 and read the LOTR in year 5, yet later on I still went on dex because I had 'difficulty concentrating'. My main difficulty was concentrating on stuff I didnt want to do (e.g. statistics).

edit : Also a lot of people have posted saying 'oh god I think of monkeys too when trying to read and concentrate how do I get the drugs' - these are the people I was referring to. People who openly admitted they were to some extent dysfunctional. People who display hallmark symptoms of ADHD such as impulsiveness. Well just hold up and consider whether you really need drugs. Have a meal, sit down, away from your dungeons and dragons or whatever, and try concentrating and working on boring stuff that needs to be done. It's hard, but you can manage without.

The very definition of the famous British "stiff upper lip" right here.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Week 3+ on Wellbutrin now.

I've had a pretty nasty, long-lasting temper my entire life. My anger would get the better of me and I would fly off the handle in rage. Lately, while the anger hasn't stopped coming around, I can get back in control of my emotions more quickly. But more importantly, I'm a lot more inclined to say "gently caress it" to certain things beyond my control. It's really nice.

In addition, it's easier for me to make the decision not to procrastinate. One of the realizations I've had is that Wellbutrin (and other such non-methy treatments) doesn't make you do anything. It doesn't magically make you not procrastinate or turn you into a person who would never do it. But, for me at least, it has made it easier for me to seize and act on inflection points. I can sit here and waste my day away like I'm inclined to do or, gently caress it, I'll do x,y,z. I can let my temper just take control of my brain and ruin my day, but gently caress this, it's not worth it, take a deep breath, calm down, relax.

These kinds of decisions didn't used to be decisions. It was just automatic I'd procrastinate the day away (at work or home) or I'd fly off the handle. But now I see where those moments are where I have control and can keep some perspective. It's not a magical tingly feeling, no physical side effects like jitters and stuff you get from Adderall, but it is a very nice rewarding sensation to be in control of my brain again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
This is like week 8 on Wellbutrin for me, so take this as a 'trip report.'

I suspect that I have ADHD and depression, because Wellbutrin has kind of changed the bad parts into my life into not-so-bad parts. My mood, normally very 'spiky', has evened out without making me feel dead. I still have moods, I still have emotions, but now little things no longer make me shoot into outer space on my rage rockets. I can focus a little better, have better follow through. It's not the immediate personality change I suspect adderall provides, but it has definitely put my average mood closer to the median if you know what I mean.

I'm pretty happy.