Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Now, to be fair, I'm not yet officially diagnosed because I don't get have insurance from my job due to a 90-day waiting period.

But for me, it started with me reblogging a bunch of ADHD memes on Tumblr with like, "big mood". But I only really seriously started to look more into it and talk to my primary care doc when I started my current job doing data entry. I would come home every night in like, a brain overload fog from spending my day focusing on accurately inputting item numbers and such that could just be strings of numbers, but also could look like "CH3DX4T", on top of having to tune out co-worker chatter without the ability to use headphones.

Ironically, I tried Wellbutrin back in college, but because my depression was so bad at the time, I only noticed that it didn't help the depression - I didn't realize it was helping my focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Lemony posted:

Oh hey, a job that sounds like literal hell for my brain!

Yeah, while I don't mind the work itself, it's the office environment and clownshoes approach to the tech we rely on to do our jobs that's killing me. But I want to stick it out for at least 6 months so it doesn't look so job-hoppy on my resume. Plus, it's close to home, where I live rent-free in my parents' basement, so I can work on paying off my student loans and still be able to save up for an apartment if/when I find a better job.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I don't really recall having any specific dyscalculia issues, aside from the fact that it took me probably an extra year or two for the whole concept to 'click' in my brain, so when we were learning our times tables in third grade, I just had to brute-force it. My biggest issue has always seemed to be in writing - specifically, organization of essays/papers. I do data entry as a job, and it would be great if I could wear headphones at work, but even so, I'm entering a lot of trace numbers, dimensions, weights, and such all day long and my biggest issues are typos, and stupid "the ones from this company are entered this way, but the ones from that company are entered a completely different way entirely arbitrarily".

But I definitely have the "forgot why I liked something" thing going on.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

sporkstand posted:

Dr. recently prescribed me ritalin (5mg) and I tried it for the first time today...hooooooo boy do I hate it. It's actually making me feel worse! Very hard to stay focused, mind is racing, very jumpy, just all around a cruddy feeling. I don't think I'll be taking this any more. I have managed to check off a good amount of items from my to-do list this morning, but I'm not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak.

As with any other mental health medication, I'd suggest keeping on a few weeks, or at least discussing it with your doctor. Sometimes side effects will chill out once you get more used to the med.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Surprise T Rex posted:

100%. When you've failed at things for so long and advice from the outside just amounts to "Just gotta try harder, man! start your assignments earlier!" or like "Have you tried using a Trello board to organise your project?" because They Just Don't Get It... you internalise that a lot. I must just be planning wrong, or too lazy to push myself to work on the thing, or whatever.

I occasionally do some hobby game development stuff in my spare time, and when Stardew Valley came out, a passion project by a single dude over like 8 years, I remember having a vague sense of "aw man, I wish I was the kind of person who could do that". Not even consciously, but I've clearly internally written myself off as the kind of person who could ever start, finish and then release a long-term project like that, because my 33 years of struggling while not understanding that I have a neurodevelopmental brain disorder has made me think I'm just a fuckup.

Oh god, all of this. I need to find a chance to get into a psych now that I have halfway decent insurance, cause while the Wellbutrin is helping... I'm still struggling a lot and going up in dose puts me at risk of serotonin syndrome due to my antidepressants.

E: and maybe start doing some sort of adhd-focused therapy because the bolded part is something that hits me hard.