Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Hey,here's an idiot question.

Is it possible for an adult to "grow" into ADD when he/she had no such symptoms as a child or teen? Or, does the person need to have had ADD symptoms when they were a kid?

Heard a story from a friend of a friend that his cousin was always alert and had very high grades during elementary and high school and half way through college but then did a complete 180 and was disorganized, played video games or went to bars all the time and didn't finish a lot of his school work - he ended up having to repeat a year. He bought some Focalin from a dealer and was able to "feel normal again"; he then was able to get a legit prescription for himself. I asked if he suddenly went through some trauma (family member or friend died, a break up, or even a head injury)and the friend mentioned he didn't.

Not too sure if maybe the guy was just suddenly bummed out but it just sounded strange to suddenly go ADD with no past symptoms in childhood.

Clearly this is my own ignorance shining through; I just want to know how often it happens and if it can "work" that way with some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU