Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karo
May 23, 2008

Alle Ruder stehen still, wenn dein starker Arm es will.

Nihilanth posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered in the thread, I tried to read most of it.
My entire family has been medicated for adhd except me. I've thought about it before, but never really taken initiative to get diagnosed. It's really starting to affect me in my first year of college, as there are things I have to get done, and I have trouble taking the first step and doing them. Also, I was reading that adhd sufferers often have anxiety as well, which further supports my suspicions. For people who have adhd and anxiety, did you notice your adhd medication help with your anxiety?

For a lot of people amphetamines seem to boost ego slightly for a while. After a few months everyone regularly experiences a rebound or crash after the effect subsides though, which actually is a state of heightened anxiety (others are just a bit more serious or jittery). In my case this rebound was getting worse and worse and eventually the reason to stop taking it in the first place. If someone is affected by anxiety, the rebound may be hard to bear.

quote:

Also, How do psychiatrists actually diagnose whether or not you have add/adhd? I'd like to know ahead of time, as I'm going to see a psychiatrist about it soon.

It depends, perhaps a talk, some stupid multiple-choice tests, or something else. Don't think about this too hard. There are a lot of people out there, faking it in order to get access to the amphetamines and doctors probably are more receptive to someone unprepared than a guy who seems too well informed (not accusing you here or anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karo
May 23, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Are there any particular fields of study and careers that are relatively easy for people with ADD?

Anything involving you sitting down for hours with no human contact may turn out badly. A better choice would be to do something involving interacting with people (if you're the type that enjoys that), opening your own business and work at your own pace or generally stuff that includes either bodily movement or (positive) high stress situations. For the latter, the challenge is to obtain the needed qualifications for jobs like these first, but then some ADD people flourish in these kind of environments.

Karo
May 23, 2008

Hobo Tickler posted:

First of all : Hasn't anyone here had bad experiences using Adderall / whatever?

My stomach is acting up at night, making me burb constantly when I spent the day under higher doses than usual. I am slightly manic under the influence and in retrospect I often question the things I do whether they were good or bad. They shouldn't be this interesting for my normal self and even success stories feel unnatural when looking back.

My character is less likeable as I'm more impatient. At night I see some distortions like a 30 second flickering when I close my eyes and rarely some bright points for a millisecond. I was told this was not uncommon. Rarely I hear a high pitched, tinitus-like sound for a moment which is caused by higher blood pressure. I also feel a bit bloated.

All in all it's bearable but not too fun and I stay away from it if possible.

Karo
May 23, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

Stimulant use can both cause withdrawal symptoms such as emotional lability, irritability, anger, etc. and exacerbate preexisting mood problems such as depression. I would not be surprised if your weepiness spells were dependent on Ritalin withdrawal. To that end, it might be worth it to experiment by skipping a dose.

I noticed these symptoms myself. It took me quite a while to figure out the cause of this (a combination of tiredness and rebound/withdrawal). Eating well and having a quiet environment helps a lot (perhaps also magnesium supplements). Other than that the emotional instability was not acceptable when you combine it with possible depression.