Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFK SWARM OF BEES
Jun 24, 2008

You are swearing now that someday you'll destroy me. Remember: far better women than you have sworn the same. Go and look for them now.
In reading this thread, I am absolutely shaking at how similar some of my behaviors are to the ones listed here.

My dad was long thought to have undiagnosed adult ADD, and I'm beginning to wonder if I may have some inkling of it.

It's not so much that I can't pay attention to things, but my mind is always active. I can't even sit and play a video game or read a book straight without my mind lapsing every 15 minutes and having to think/do something else. I have sudden random moments of "Oh poo poo! I HAVE to clean this house right now! It's so dirty! But where do I start? What do I do? I should clean the bathroom first" and an initial tizzy of action before actually settling into the process of doing something. And even then, I tend to abandon what I'm doing to work on cleaning some other part of the house.

I was a good student (4.0 in HS, 3.0 in college) but I had huge motivational issues in college. I had to teach myself to study and complete assignments.

But, I always thought I was just undisciplined and lazy. I always figured "Oh, well, I just don't have a parent to stand behind me and yell 'GET TO WORK' and so I'm slacking off". I DID teach myself to complete tasks when given, though. I just have the worst time focusing, and following through.

The only thing I can do straightforwardly is write. If I get in a mood to write something (brief fiction, etc.), I can sit and churn something out. Writing is very therapeutic for me because it puts my mind at ease. But otherwise, I am constantly flip-flopping around when given a task.

I'm thinking about consulting a doctor about this now. Not going to jump right in and say "I THINK I HAVE ADD!", but I definitely want to at least inquire about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU