Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Burginator posted:

Yeah this post is almost entirely spot on for how I feel. I typically feel very overwhelmed by smaller tasks because I simply cannot decide where to attack them from. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 14, but my symptoms always manifested differently from most other kids I know -- I was always amazing at every subject through school, I aced every test, etc., but I could not focus long enough to do so much as a single piece of homework. I would recognize that I had it, plan on doing it, then I would almost subconsciously avoid it for as long as I possibly could. It wasn't like normal procrastination, which I am quite well versed at, it was almost like a complete mental block. I would KNOW that I had things I needed to do, and I'd think our a well detailed plan for how I would do them, and then I would somehow entirely skip over the 'doing' process, but I would always do all the reading, I would read all the worksheets etc., I would just skip that final step. Even on medication, I couldn't really get past this hyper analyzing phase, though I definitely did focus a lot more.

I hate t'quote something from so far back, but this is pretty much me exactly. I'm actually on Concerta, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference at all. I still have an incredibly hard time focusing on college. I'm on the maximum dosage, 72mg, but the only difference is increased energy and a burst of motivation for about 30 minutes.

The most irritating thing is that my trouble sticking with school isn't for lack of trying. Every method for beating procrastination has been tried several times to no avail. There's just a mental block like Burginator said. Even my psychiatrist keeps citing advice for beating procrastination that's absolutely worthless. Thing is, I can do my job just fine. Hell, if all I had to do was work, I'd be perfectly happy. Obviously it's not really an option to do that anymore though, sadly.

Some background: I didn't get diagnosed 'til I was about 19 years old. I'm 20 now. The school I went to for 1-7 grades pounded into me and my parents' collective heads that ADD was just a lack of discipline. This same school had a weird system too. Instead of a teacher actually lecturing the class on subjects, we would sit all day at desks of our own with dividers completely blocking us from the classmates on either side. We would do book work all day, nothing else. No talking. I was homeschooled for 8th and 9th grade, then went to my first actual public school in 10th grade. Now thatwas a big difference. 10th-12th were spent mostly catching up on missed maturity and realizing the depths of my procrastination. By now it's getting to the point where I'm constantly dropping classes due to missing class/not doing homework/both, getting depressed about it, and just giving up.

Has anyone found that other ADD medications work better for my particular brand of procrastination? Because at this point if medication won't do the trick, nothing will. Thanks in advance for any answers. :)

Edit: Oh, and I don't really know if I'm ADHD. I was diagnosed ADD. I'm not really hyperactive at all. My mind is constantly going 1000 miles a minute, but I'm actually pretty laid back somehow. Don't ask me how that works. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Mein Eyes! posted:

I think its over diagnosed, and while I imagine this is different with young children who don't have a choice, but most people who don't need it end up not taking it and go off pretty quickly. The breaks that I've taken were more enjoyable (once the anxiety and mild effects withdrawl and over-compensation normalized) than the normal periods where I'm on the drugs, and if I didn't have to take them I certainly wouldn't. Unfortunately, as the same issues always pop up as what brought me to admit the attention problem in the first place.

I think even I assume that ADD a behavioral problem rather than a chemical problem, and that I'm treating my laziness more than a deficiency in how dopamine moves in my brain, but it really is the latter. Trying to focus on reading 500 words of interesting material without medication produces the same frustration and physical, internal feeling as trying to listen to and follow three conversations at once. Try it some time to see what I mean. If I get that same result when trying to talk on the phone or read a menu, something's wrong.

I still doubt I actually have ADD despite my endless procrastination. I definitely agree that it's overdiagnosed, it's sad because some children could grow up to be normal but the diagnosis of ADD at an early age along with the medication can alter how they develop pretty significantly. The very diagnosis of ADD can cause them to develop the symptoms that accompany it. :(

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Does anyone know of some good, generic ADD medication? I haven't been on any medication since last year when my health insurance under my parents expired due to my age, and I've been trying to get by without it. Going by how I've dropped 2 out of 4 classes this semester, it's not working too well.