Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Similar question: any foods/drinks I should be avoiding with Strattera/atomoxetine? I haven’t found anything yet but figured I’d ask.

Other than alcohol, which is the only one my doc told me about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Freudian posted:

Grapefruit - messes with a lot of medications, since it blocks the enzyme that breaks them down.

If that's it, then great! Grapefruit is a disgusting, awful fruit anyway.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ayin posted:

Hey, remember when a bunch of us found out that citric acid negatively affects our stimulants??

I've always gotten conflicting information on whether or not (or what kind) Strattera is a stimulant, so I figured, why not try the experiment on that too

you see, I was taking my non-adderall meds with soda, because I can leave a bottle on my nightstand and it won't get spilled by clumsy cats

the difference was night and day

So yeah, uh, watch out for that

Interesting, I haven't noticed this kind of effect with my Strattera despite taking it with different drinks (mostly water, sometimes soda, fruit juice, or herbal tea). But I also haven't been tracking it and since I've been taking it at night it might be harder to make the connection.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Not exactly the same topic, but Strattera seems to make alcohol hit me harder. I've not had more than one pint of beer at a time on it, but that got me noticeably buzzed. I've always been kind of a lightweight as I'm not much of a drinker, but not quite to that degree.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JayMax posted:

I'm about to move in with my girlfriend and it's making me super anxious. I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat who has to be reminded to do the dishes all the time. I've been there before.

Talk to your girlfriend about it. If you’re living together your ADHD is going to impact your partner to some degree, and open and honest communication is critical to having a healthy relationship anyway.

Importantly, your partner has to understand that you’re not an rear end in a top hat, you have a neurodevelopmental disorder. That doesn’t excuse all your problems, but it does mean that tactics that work to get neurotypical folks to do things are just going to be stressful for you, and you’ll need to work together to figure out what else to do instead.

Reminder apps? Chore charts? Just being okay with her needing to remind you about stuff a lot? All of these and more are acceptable answers, as long as you both agree on them, and that you can change them if they’re not working out.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JayMax posted:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my anxious venting. I guess I struggle to find a balance between my need for structure and reminders and such and not straddling her with all the mental workload.

We have been talking about it, but it's still a work in progress.

Don’t we all. I don’t know if it’ll be useful, but I’ve found Due (unfortunately iOS only, though there’s probably something similar for Android) super useful - it’s a reminder app that’ll re-notify you periodically if you haven’t acknowledged the reminder, with super easy rescheduling if you need to postpone something.

I use it to remind me to take my medication, trim my beard, and do laundry, among other things.

You’ll get there - talking about it is half the battle, maybe more. A good partner will understand and support you as you try to figure this out.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

Professional life is easy because if I don't keep up, I might inconvenience someone else.

Nobody's directly inconvenienced if I live in a pigsty.

That’s interesting; professional life is easier for me because if I gently caress it up I’ll get fired and be homeless and die alone under a bridge.

(Or at least I got in the habit of telling myself that to motivate me to do poo poo. Don’t really recommend it, regardless of effectiveness.)

Nobody’s gonna fire me if I don’t do the dishes and order doordash again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Head Bee Guy posted:

Do you want more basic stomach contents for straterra? I normally have a couple cups of coffee and some yogurt + granola for breakfast

I don’t find that citric acid impacts the effectiveness of Strattera but I do find the more I eat with it the less likely it is to make me nauseous.