Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yep, Vyvanse. It hydrolyzes in the liver or whatever at a much slower rate and disperses itself into the blood stream much slower over time compared to other drugs meaning the chances of someone successfully abusing it is very slim. Now if someone could elaborate better than I could about the pharmacokinetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Unproductive thoughts means "jacking off and playing video games" right?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Master_Jay posted:

:words: that sound very much like ADd
Try an add drug while studying for a test and see if you do better because of it. Whether you have add or not is irrelevant if it helps you with your inadequacies, continue to use it.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Socket Ryanist posted:

they should just give speed to anyone who wants it and can pass checkups to show they're not going insane/losing too much weight/losing teeth/stealing their relatives' belongings

Edit: and who doesn't have heart problems of course
No adhd medication makes you lose you teeth/causes heart arrhythmia but if you have any actual proof that shows otherwise...

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Have any of you noticed weight loss side-effects or are goons not affected by such things?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So whats that one side effect you hate the most from taking ADHD meds?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Are there days when, even medicated, you just can't focus? I'm PI and have been taking adderall for about a month and a half to two months and I'm wondering if that's normal or I need to consider upping the dose. I play around with timing and frequency. For example, today I took a 5mg IR at 10a instead of at 7:30am and on weekends I might not take it at all.

Sounds like you've built up a strong tolerance for the drug. Taking it everyday will do that for you. I tend to regulate my intake to only during study sessions so that when I do take the pill I feel its full effects. But if you do take it quite regularly try to have a substitute type of ADD-drug so if you start to build up a tolerance for one you can switch to the other.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow that 'Dr. Russel Barkley on Adhd' is spot on. That should be required reading for this thread.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Qu Appelle posted:

Yes, yes. A low dose of Adderall made near suicidal when it wore off. And I currently don't have depression issues. Not to mention the high addictive potential these drugs have. They can be lifesaving, yes - but they can also be a serious world of no fun. And if I had a non-speed option to take, I'd do so in a heartbeat. (Already tried Strattera, and that was a no-go.)
Im curious what your experiences with Straterra was. Supposedly it doesn't work right a way and can take upwards of one to two weeks but when i took a two year old expired dose I felt it working over night. Might have been placebo but that was the second time I had taken it, took the same expired bottle like a month before, and still felt something later that day.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone else here see ADD as something that retards your potential. I have add and think it has some redeeming quality but from the way its described its hard to see it as anything but a negative disadvantage. Thoughts?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any ideas about this theory I heard somewhere that fidgeting is the brains way of dealing with the attention deficit? Someone on the internet I read said fidgeting is the brains way of keeping the neural networks active that the adhd brain tries to stray away from i.e when its lapsing in attention.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone feel like they need to take a poo poo shortly after taking vyvanse, most of the time? And how dangerous it is to run at a full sprint while on stimulants ? I'm guessing it would be bad if you were fat and unconditioned, and not as bad if you are just skinny and unconditioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Qu Appelle posted:

Dexedrine for me worked really well. However, it was also the only drug that made me feel actively 'speedy'. I also tried Vyvanse, and it also worked with the great exception of the horrid, crippling depression that went with it. When both were active, they felt about the same in my system.

Vyvanse was more of a ramp up/ramp down for me, whereas Dex was like turning a light switch on and off. It felt that sudden. YMMV, obviously.

I came into this thread ( on Vy) specifically to read up and discuss feeling anxious and extremely overwhelmed by everything while on Vyvanse after a while. I feel the opposite on Vyvanse too, like I can take on any challenge I might have, but eventually that wears off and the exact opposite feel of that kicks in. I'd love to try something for my add that doesnt come with crippling anxiety.

Edit: How many of you worry about heart problems because of the medication? I'm still on the fence whether add prescribed amphetamines have any sort of meaningful ,i.e, harmful to your body, impact on the heart rate or blood pressure.

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 8, 2012