Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Does anyone else here see ADD as something that retards your potential. I have add and think it has some redeeming quality but from the way its described its hard to see it as anything but a negative disadvantage. Thoughts?
It's like depression in that while you may come up with ideas or connections that neurotypicals would ignore, you'll be hard pressed to get through the realization steps that require time and pure drudgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if taking Ritalin is pointless, maybe even counter-productive. It still has an effect on me, just not anything particularly useful. It boosts my mood, gives me energy throughout the day. Basically I take a pill and I get happy and I'm excited to do stuff, but somehow I rarely end up doing anything productive.

Like, I could happily sit here all afternoon browsing the net and listening to music, and posting on forums. Yesterday I spent all afternoon reading ghost stories and the disturbing Wikipedia thread on PYF instead of working and going grocery shopping like I had planned. I keep rationalizing it as "well I just have bad habits, if I had good habits the Ritalin would work fine". but it's almost like Ritalin makes me feel so good that I don't CARE if I'm not doing what I'm supposed to. Whereas otherwise I might feel worse but at least I'd be like, "Okay, you spent the last couple hours on forums, you better get to work now you loser".

Then at the end of the day when it wears off, I start to feel depressed because I didn't do anything productive YET again. I don't know, I don't even feel like it helps me focus much anymore. If I sit down and force myself to do ONE thing, it works quite well. Practicing piano is extremely productive. But it's so hard to focus. It's like I need to FOCUS on one thing before I can focus on it.

Does that make any sense at all? :sigh:

Did they push you to try CBT or extensive scheduling when you started your medication?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Anyone here try Dark Souls -type games? I was a huge Armored Core and tactical RPG nerd as a teenager but somehow missed this genre as an adult, until I spent 500+ hours on it in 2018. Apparently, SoulsBorne games are known to be crack for depressed/ADD gamers who want to explore/achieve something but struggle with the downsides of our conditions.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

^^^ this is exactly what I thought

Also you get to cooperate or compete with other people under crystal clear & consistent structures, often with just a single gesture

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 14, 2018

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

sponges posted:

Why does taking adderall make me sleepy and how much can I expect this to help my concentration? I am in hell.

you're taking the pills upside down
(common mistake)